By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alex Ferguson 2

Here is a list of all the postings Alex Ferguson 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Upgrading Windows7 to Win10 for free
27/01/2020 21:25:17
Posted by Gary Manuel on 27/01/2020 21:00:15:
Posted by Denis Watkins on 27/01/2020 20:38:44:
Posted by Alex Ferguson 2 on 27/01/2020 20:18:09:

Bixler, must take it flying again soon. I turned mine into a twin and convinced it flies better.

You are right about the Bixler Twin Alex

Instead of a single motor spiralling air along the fuz,

With a twin motor mod to the wings, you get two lots of air squish over the wings

A great help at low speed

Edited By Denis Watkins on 27/01/2020 20:39:20

This is the most helpful post in this thread so far devil

Should this, "Bixler twin", go in a new thread?

It might be an opposition forum but a few bits here -

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2567388-Bixler-gone-twin

The U/C is now much lower, more like a Hercules.

27/01/2020 20:18:09
Posted by Tony Harrison 2 on 27/01/2020 19:53:50:

Linux is very much for the minority. Windows works well for vast numbers of people - the great majority of whom will never experience security issues, especially if they apply common sense and/or use quality AV software - as opposed to free stuff. You get what you pay for, in software as with everything else.

Flying soon, getting out to the field? Today's little hailstorm was not encouraging, but it would be good to visit the field again. I have a Bixler ready to try out...

Best, Tony

I expect most of the forum readers are using Linux - via their Android smart phones. These have a totally different operating method from a laptop/desktop but how many say, "We can't learn that."

Yes I've been slack and not ever done a verification in the last 2 decades, simply downloaded and installed, possibly 3 dozen computers.

As for difficult to use, how can a long time Windows user sit down one day at a Linux Mint installation (Windows had destroyed itself totally) and simply carry on doing her computer work without instructions? How? Why? Because it looks so much like the Windows she had been using, browsers and other items as usual in the task bar and simply click and they go - as usual.

Questions? Yes. Often have questions and they are all related to jobs that would have raised the same questions Windows or Linux and with the same answers.

Get what you pay for? Nothing but problems with Windows 10. Nothing but problems with a commercial accounting programme too (another story there) and no problems with free software because if it gave problems no one would use it. If you pay money you struggle to use it (not all but too many) because you put out money. Have you paid for Firefox or Chrome? No. Did you paid for Windows Explorer and Edge. Yes. Do many use them? No.

Bixler, must take it flying again soon. I turned mine into a twin and convinced it flies better.

26/01/2020 19:56:10

The previous site suggestion from Gary Manuel has Etcher as the Linux version to use. I've not used it and suggest Mint with the Cinnamon desktop.

Go to -
https://linuxmint.com/

Go to the download tab

Download Cinnamon 64 bit version -
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=274

This should download a 64 bit version of the Linux Mint .iso

From the previous site mentioned by Gary Manuel -

In Windows (DVD method) -

Right-click the ISO file and select Burn disk image.

To make sure the ISO was burned without any errors, select Verify disc after burning.

Note - to a DVD you are burning it, not copying it.

Otherwise follow the USB stick instructions.

I've only loaded / setup 10 computers from my latest stick during December so it does work, they all go OK.

25/01/2020 21:03:14

It seems some are lucky.

Note, this is a thread about the options of updating from Win7, Linux is one of them and so is buying an Apple.

The problem instance I'm using was a computer bought with Win7 installed and used without any problems for a few years. Win10 free update was available and recommended by Microsoft. This was followed by a year of every Microsoft auto update causing problems. I suspect if I hadn't been available to sort things there would have been hundreds of dollars of commercial IT support needed.

The final indignity of wiping everything and reverting to Win7 because of Microsoft's poor testing methods was the final straw.

How does an ordinary user know that they can't trust Microsoft? Why would they think that you shouldn't trust Microsoft's updates and never allow them?

Yes, Win XP worked and still works for those who still use it.

As for Linux Mint. Burnt as an .iso on a USB stick and the stick being first boot source you get a running system. We used this with a Netbook when travelling one year for security. On the stick will be a complete system, browser Firefox and LibreOffice plus a number of other programmes. Items can be saved to the computer's hard disk. One icon on the desktop says "Install". Going to that it takes you through a reasonably simple installation process usually allowing dual booting so you still have the original Windows available.

25/01/2020 00:49:33
Posted by kc on 24/01/2020 10:28:04:

Alex - but how long did ( does ) it take for a Windows user ( non IT person ) to use the Linux Mint system? - I am not being funny or clever i genuinely want to know!

Time? Half a minute?

My partner's mutters were that I'd not put her icons in the same places on the screen i.e. visual layout. Then she carried on as usual using her computer but with Linux instead of Windows. That easy.

I'd say those who think going to Linux is a big learning step don't know how to use Windows fully anyway.

Basically the question is, what does the user do with their computer? If emails using Firefox or Chrome for Gmail, (Thunderbird for other types) maybe a few documents and a spreadsheet to keep track of birthdays or CD collection, browse for news, play Freecell. Then the answer is half a minute to get used to the easier layout and with the same software.

A new folder? Two right clicks instead of 3 and a scroll as per Windows.

Keyboard shortcuts? Same.

Admittedly someone who knows the best way to layout the desktop helps but try going from XP to Win7 then Win8 (disaster), 8.1 to fix it and on to Win10 which is a bit more like Win7 and answer the question "How long to suffer those relearnings?"

How do you shut down Windows 7 & 10? Bottom left corner, click and then click on Shutdown? Not if Windows 8 where you click somewhere on the screen and then towards the top right. So Linux is like most but not all Windows systems and they Win8, might be quite different from the previous Windows systems.

Gaming? A whole different "ball game" as they say.

If suggestions are wanted for setting up I have a list I use so private message me for it.

24/01/2020 08:42:48
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 24/01/2020 08:31:05:and a reinstall of windows, while inconvenient, is not a long job.

As for the hate regarding drivers, i have to confess i have never found it a problem. I have more driver problems thanks to Nvidia and AMD than due to windows. Its why i never update drivers. Once something is working i leave well alone!

So how long to reinstall Windows or do an update from 7 to 10? Could you do it in 10 minutes?

How long for an entire system load?

I've recently had to install software on 10 computers given with no software. 10 minutes to have an up and going system ready for use, browser, office suite, etc. etc. with Linux Mint. Yes, I then spend a bit of extra time doing "fiddles" to set things as I want them but that is a personal option.

As for screen drivers, they simply work as they should without fighting and loading special drivers as needed for Windows. Plus no virus problems. All updates tell you what they are going to update and you do those when you want to and only those you want to do.

24/01/2020 08:18:23

Having been away for a couple of weeks sea kayaking and cycling around Samoa I missed the start of this thread.

October 2018 Microsoft killed about a million Win10 computers with an update. Wiped all the data and they reverted back to Win7. Fortunately I copied all my partner's data over before it was all wiped. So, having been using Windows for a couple of decades she now sits down in front of a computer running Linux Mint and has been doing so since then.

And? And nothing, simply carries on doing what she always does in the same manner except it doesn't lose screen drivers or printer drivers each month, just keeps going. Same browsers, Firefox and Chrome, same office suite, LibreOffice, same sound editing Audacity, basically the same as before or better programmes.

Thread: Help Needed for Kids Xmas Bike Modification
14/12/2019 07:16:06
Posted by Phil Green on 13/12/2019 21:11:17:

Hi Pat, I'm with Paul & Alex - at 5 she should be riding properly, no stabilisers

Our bike racing club starts Juniors racing on minimotos at six years old, quite a few are girls..

Thanks Phil. My son, 4 years old(?), first bike, 5 metres there and back and the stabilisers were taken off and he was away riding. The only problem, after playing football all primary school age and riding to school, took to bike racing, road in winter, track in summer. He now coaches. I stuck to touring, long distance at times. His sister, 12 years old, did a loaded tour, 480 km multiday ride over the mountains. She'd done a few years of riding on the back of a tandem before that. Back from the tour and and a few weeks later an annual one day 100 km ride over the steep hills we have here.

Question for PatMc, do you think you will be able to keep up with them as they get older?

12/12/2019 03:11:32

Stabilisers don't allow learning to stabilise.

Five? Quite old enough to ride a bike.

Thread: Plane Reserection PBS America
30/11/2019 22:17:37

Does anyone know why a New Zealand Harvard is in that movie at 15 sec in. The Harvard is NZ1079 and the kiwi is clearly visible on all the roundels.

This says it is deregistered and in NZ -

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/NZ1079.html

This says it is in Oshkosh -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15110856@N02/34485869661/in/photostream/

Or maybe - "located in the Vintage Flying Museum at Meacham Fort Worth". This link actually gives the whole story -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/corkspotter/35846649960

Thread: What went on today then ?
29/11/2019 02:32:31
Posted by Martian on 28/11/2019 09:12:48:

Glyn Powell passed away a couple of days ago he is the chap who built the moulds for the mosquito to allow restoration in New Zealand and also for the people's Mosquito

Glyn Powell -

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restorations/glyn-powell-de-havilland-mosquito-maestro.html

http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/2019/11/27/farewell-to-glyn-powell-the-man-who-made-mosquito-restoration-possible/

Thread: Boddo's Biggles Biplane
23/10/2019 04:13:40

For those who want to know it all, a bunch of enthusiasts here and I'm sure would be very happy to discuss any Biggles items -

https://bigglesforum.net/forum/index.php

Thread: 50 years ago
14/10/2019 22:39:14

From the Home page of a certain Men's Shed -

“What’s all that rubbish in the garage / workshop / shed?”
He replies, “It is stock awaiting job assignment.”

Note, the person asking the question isn't identified.....smiley

Thread: The Repair Shop
25/09/2019 11:19:36
Posted by kc on 25/09/2019 09:16:41:Frankly it would be a much better programme if it concentrated on repairing the items which really should be repaired - computers, mobile phones, TV's, video recorders of all types, washing machines, fridges etc - rather than being dumped and replaced by new. But of course that would need real skill unlike mending Teddy bears!

You mean I'm really skilled? Thank you.

Three audio amplifiers and a couple of computers in the last week. One of the amplifiers they said it had circuit boards so couldn't be fixed. What !!! It simply had two blown TDA5020 amp chips. One laptop - his wife broke a chuck of lid case off. He reglued it and a large bit of glue got into the power supply socket. Hmmm... Actually the real problem seems to be a dead power supply too. Not so easy a fix. The all in-one HP computer doesn't look too good either, only 3.3 volts running and nothing else - so far.

Now washing machines are easy though sewing machines (4 lately) are easier.

Being retired, a matter of finding time to do these things.....

02/09/2019 03:21:41
Posted by Foxfan on 31/08/2019 23:27:51:

Not quite all over Britain. I tried to get one started ...., but then this is Fenland, wasteland of enthusiasms.

Martin

One has the impression that with the population of Britain they'd be as thick as......

I've just got back from a morning at our local one (2 km away) in a country with under 5 million, has 108 Sheds (and 30 being developed) and a land area about the same as Britain.

The British Shed website -
https://menssheds.org.uk/
and where to find one -
https://menssheds.org.uk/find-a-shed/

The map is a solid mass of Sheds.

31/08/2019 23:25:35

It sounds a bit like a Men's Shed, something "invented" in Australia and found all over Britain.

Thread: Cyclists Amongst Us
12/07/2019 10:03:37
Posted by Devcon1 on 12/07/2019 07:25:18:

I would say yes, Alex.

You mean the Sailing to Scotland story? No, well maybe not first.

I'm lazy, I like to sit down. In my mid forties, after Xmas (summer here) I'd go and do a triathlon - bike 400+km (loaded touring), spend a week or so sea kayaking and walk to the supermarket - that's 3 "events". OK, walking is standing up but can't get it all right. Then I'd take a short cut home, only about 390 km but over mountains. A gentle Sunday ride would be up to 100 km.

11/07/2019 23:42:38

I don't see mention of Claud Butler bikes here? Yes, have one though my longest tour, the 3,500 km tour up the west coast of USA was on a locally made bike. So a Claud Butler and an Avanti for day-to-day riding as the Claud Butler is kept at our holiday home.

Partner? Yes, she has two bikes too.

Straight bars on the Avanti, drop bars on the Claud Butler with bar-end shifters.

Now do you want the story of our cycling across Singapore looking for a railway station which led to sailing across the East China Sea to Japan because we were on our way to Scotland? No? OK.

Thread: Who said it would never happen in our lifetime
21/06/2019 04:17:19
Posted by Peter Miller on 20/06/2019 09:08:21:

The real problem is not all the emissions. The real problem is population.

The real problem is population.

Your problem is you didn't put that in bold type a mile high - YES, that is the REAL(TM) problem and no one mentions it. Why?

Thread: Confirmation - The World Really Has Gone Mad......
21/06/2019 04:11:09
Posted by Doc Marten on 20/06/2019 08:26:25:
Posted by Alex Ferguson 2 on 20/06/2019 05:24:43:

Mention of H&S. Isn't boxing a job for professionals? Isn't the aim to cause maximum injury? So why doesn't H&S ban boxing?

You're describing brawling not boxing, the skill is to win by inflicting minimum damage. The idea of H&S is to enable you to carry out your aim as safely as possible by not banning it.

Edited By Doc Marten on 20/06/2019 08:27:41

The idea is to achieve a knock-out. Maximum damage.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us