By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lowandslow

Here is a list of all the postings Lowandslow has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Painting over Oratex
20/03/2020 16:00:49

Many thanks Andy that’s what I wanted to hear. That’s also a great steer I’ll get some of those ordered. Just wondering if Mr Buckle visits this site to get some useful feedback and tips??? 🤔

20/03/2020 15:11:15

Hello again bit more guidance required please and sorry this is probably on the wrong thread. My Ben Buckle JR 60 kit is supplied with nylon hinges for the elevator and rudder control surfaces and having completed a dry fit into the tail plane and elevator prior to covering I am concerned that the hinges appear to be a bit stiff. This is my first balsa build for donkeys years and I’m wondering if these hinges will put too much strain on the Hitec HS 81 servos. As a senior newbie am I being over cautious.

02/03/2020 20:28:04

Evening all. Just at the covering stage on a Junior 60 with Antique Oratex and would like to paint on some details. I’ve looked for previous posts relating to this but can’t find anything so my query is has anyone had any success with something easy to use that doesn’t adversely affect the fabric. I’m hoping to steer clear of anything recommended and supplied by Oracover because no doubt it will be expensive.

Thread: A new caption competition - winner declared!
28/11/2019 17:25:40

Don’t worry I’m a trained first aider. Now how many fingers am I holding up?

Thread: Protecting a plan
22/10/2019 10:43:19

Clear cellophane wrap from Hobbycraft is working well for me. At £3.25 for a 60cm x 20m roll that’s a good deal and it’s more durable than cling film. It’s even 2 rolls for a fiver!

Thread: Electric Junior 60
06/07/2019 11:13:33

JCF just wondering if you got the PM I sent you yesterday?

05/07/2019 15:35:52

Thanks Bob. Yes I’ve seen the two ic models on ebay but they are not really tempting me.

04/07/2019 09:29:51

This is a long shot but does anyone have an electric Junior 60 that they are willing to part with? I would build one but at the moment I am anxious to get flying in the summer. I am in the East Midlands/South Yorkshire area.

Thread: Mercury Tiger Moth 33
24/06/2019 17:57:43

Many thanks again David for your advice. At least the Wot 4 looks more like an aeroplane unlike the Easystar which reminds me of a toy plastic glider with a strap on motor 😂. However I have come to terms with it and if that is the route to success I am up for it.

24/06/2019 14:11:49

Hello again everyone. Just posting an update after a busy few months getting up to speed with jobs in and around the house I am now concentrating on getting airborne within the next few weeks.

The wise ones at my local club have suggested I get a Multiplex Easystar 2 RR as a trainer so later this week I am off to my ‘not so local model shop’ to pick their brains and hopefully at least place an order for some kit. The guys at the flying field mostly are using Spectrum radio so I’m planning to invest in a DX8 G2. 260 as I think it will be more than adequate for my requirements. I believe I will also require a receiver, lipo flight batteries, automatic charger and watt meter? for the Easystar. My question is should I stick with Spectrum for the receiver or not?

Any wise words from the forum would be greatly appreciated.

By the way My Mercury Tiger is three quarters built and currently in moth balls at least until I get my wings and until I can glean enough knowledge as to what hardware I need to be installing in it.

Many thanks.

13/03/2019 12:25:59

Thanks gents. David you have read my mind I have seen a picture of a full size aircraft finished in silver with maroon trim......looks very classy. I think that’s my plan

13/03/2019 09:18:53

I like the long grass idea but the club is in the Peak District along with 147,000 miles of dry stone wall. Those sheep keep eating the grass as well!

13/03/2019 09:01:13

David thanks you have confirmed my own train of thought really. I have contacted a local club two weeks ago which is only 6 miles away which is great. I have arranged to meet a really helpful guy there next time the weather is good and they are flying. They have Super 60s and Junior 60s there as well along with instructors of course. In the meantime I’ll continue enjoying building the Moth probably to 85% complete and hang it on the ceiling until I’m proficient enough to fly it with reasonable safety. I’m probably going to get a trainer aircraft first now though.

12/03/2019 21:26:04

I’m very pleased there is somebody else out there Cliff with an interest in this little Mercury Moth we will be able to compare notes along the way. I’ll post some photos when I get my head around it. Are you going install 3 channel as well.

11/03/2019 21:33:56

Thanks for the encouragement and tips gents greatly appreciated. I’ll follow up on the Litespan Ray many thanks. Only joking about the depression. wink

11/03/2019 20:23:17

Hello again,

Having now recovered from the mild depression caused by Rays posting I can now report that the balsa bashing is well under way. Having recently seen the postings regarding Solarfim, ie buy some quick, just wondering if I should jump in and get some. Can any of you experienced builders recommend what I should be covering this little Moth with for the best results? Somebody out there must have successfully finished one with electric/3channel conversion.

24/02/2019 21:56:10

Ray,

thanks for the tip but the original model was designed for free flight and all I’m aspiring to do is recreate this with some kind of minimal r/c guidance using lightweight gear.

Best regards Phil

24/02/2019 19:26:42

Thanks for the reply Denis. Currently I’m just wanting to get airborne again with a few circuits low and slow so weight is a big thing for me. From what I have gleaned from this forum is that the Moths wing may part company if I add ailerons without some drastic design changes. I’d like to keep it simple at the moment but maybe consider ailerons for the next project. Just an aside my nearest Model Shop was Gee Dee in Nottingham but they have now closed so no advice from them you see. I’d have to travel to Leeds for that now I think so buying online seems the way forward.

24/02/2019 18:10:01

Hi I have recently purchased a vintage Tiger Moth kit from eBay and would like to convert it to electric power and 3 channel radio. I am recently retired and am looking forward to the build no matter how long it takes. The last time I dabbled was in the 60s with a Matador with a Frog 1.5cc diesel and rudder only control with a single channel McGregor tx/rx and rubber band actuator. I still have these apart from the deceased Matador. I have been trying to catch up a bit on line to see what I should be installing in terms of type and weight of servos, batteries and engine so I am now sending out a plea for any guidance the forum members could give to me. Many thanks.

Thread: Mercury original 33" Tiger Moth Kit
14/02/2019 14:25:59

Just wondering how you are getting on with your build of the Tiger Moth? I have been looking for one and have missed two in the last 3 months on eBay. Thinking of possibly getting one from The Vintage Model Company on line and could do with some tips if you are making progress with yours. Cheers.

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!