By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tom Gaskin 1

Here is a list of all the postings Tom Gaskin 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New batteries - cheap junk?
23/11/2020 06:14:27

I think that we need more information before making any judgement.

What is the 'C' rating of the batteries?

What current are you drawing at full throttle?

How old are the batteries?

What sort of charger are you using?

On the face of it, these batteries are rather sad, but we need the extra bits that I have listed to make a proper diagnosis.

Tom

Thread: Low voltage - discharging
21/11/2020 16:23:08

Certainly charge and use is the more convenient option. 3 volts per cell is fine for the cutoff voltage.

Tom

Thread: The Threat of Overpricing
21/11/2020 15:45:54

I was speaking to Chris just before lockdown 2, and he was saying how the Chinese suppliers were ramping their prices up. On a separate note, the shipping companies have trebled their charges for containers to the UK in recent times.

Thread: Cardboard construction for planes
13/10/2020 17:36:22

There is a twin made from corrugated cardboard called fun-tu, an RCM plan from the US. You can find it on Outer Zone.

Tom

Thread: Older Learner, First Kit Build, Electric - suggestions please
02/10/2020 08:42:35

The Uno Wot conversion was done using an AXI motor, which uses the rotor dimensions, rather than the outside dimensions. I think that the 4max recommendation is for the Wot 4, as that setup is close to 70 four stroke territory!

I had one of the original conversions and it was great - eventually I got too silly, too close to the ground, and the UW was no more...

The battery fixing method works really well. Make up a couple of plates and fix the batteries to them for fast change-outs if you are so inclined.

Tom

Edited By Tom Gaskin 1 on 02/10/2020 08:46:41

Thread: Inadvertantly Overdischarged Lipo
27/09/2020 12:29:37

+1 for Frank's explanation.

Tom

Thread: Which Glue?
19/09/2020 16:19:53

Hello Jeff,

UHU POR will be fine for the tailplane too. You are right that it states it's a contact adhesive, but it can also be used as a conventional adhesive as well - it just takes a little while to go off properly.

It's what I use for any joints on epo foam

Tom

Thread: Building board
13/09/2020 12:21:03

Sundela board is a good, if expensive, option. A bit like MDF, but takes pins easily.

Tom

Thread: (Last) Flight of the Phoenix
25/08/2020 09:08:15

I have an original P2K from way back, and yes, it climbs very strongly on full power! I run an aft CofG, with a 1300mAh lipo.

I have managed to add a degree or two of down thrust without too much faffing, but it isn't enough! I have got it to the point where I'm happy to hold a smidge of down when on full power. I guess a ele to throt mix would completely sort it...

I used the setup suggested on the horizon hobby site for their Radian pro, so I have added crow brakes, flaps and flight-mode to mine. I didn't go with the flaps mixed as ailerons to get a snappier roll rate as I ran out of receiver outputs - the flaps I put on a y-lead.

I still enjoy flying mine after about 8 years of ownership 😀

Tom

Thread: How far do you travel to the nearest decent model shop?
28/06/2020 20:32:23

I'm in the next village along from Sussex Model Centre, so two-and-a-bit miles.

Tom

Thread: Cambrian ME109 Funfighter electric Prop Size
12/06/2020 12:55:50

The 9" prop will be for the 4cell setup. For 3cells, you will need an 11" prop, as per the recommendations on the Cambrian website.

Tom

Thread: Benefits of the lockdown
26/04/2020 21:56:57

No benefit for me - I'm still working...

Tom

Thread: battery postion ?
25/04/2020 08:20:09

It is generally accepted that battery to ESC should not exceed 20cms - the ESC to motor can be almost as long as you like!

You can extend the ESC to battery leads but you then get into fitting extra spike suppression capacitors to protect the ESC.

Tom

Thread: Anyone still using a balsa stripper?
18/04/2020 10:37:37

I fixed mine to a 30 x 100 x 1cm piece ply with small countersunk screws so it is well solid 😀

In fact, I've had it so long it would have been in proper imperial measurement!

Tom

Edited By Tom Gaskin 1 on 18/04/2020 10:39:35

18/04/2020 09:19:58

I've had a SLEC one since they first came out. I've mounted mine on a board so that all is rigid & square. Best thing since sliced bread!

Tom

Thread: Kyosho T-33 Shooting star
04/04/2020 14:57:44

I have a 4300 KV motor in the original fan unit. On 3S it goes really well, performance is up with similar sized Dynam & Eflite edf models.

Tom

Thread: Focke Wolf Ta 154 Laser
31/03/2020 20:28:22

Outerzone have a nice sized plan for one of these

Tom

Thread: What Traders are still offering Mail Order? Services?
30/03/2020 21:25:39

Sussex Model Centre is still doing the business

Tom

Thread: Winter is here....who's been flying?
15/03/2020 09:18:58

Got out with some friends and the old SAS Fusion yesterday. Blue sky, bright sun but blimmin' windy!

It was good to combat!

Tom

Thread: Radio Queen ailerons
02/12/2019 21:53:47

If you want a vintage model with ailerons, search for 'Jackdaw' on this site. Designed for ailerons from the start, a plan is available on Outer Zone.

Tom

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Subscribe now
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!