By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tom Gaskin 1

Here is a list of all the postings Tom Gaskin 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Traders are still offering Mail Order? Services?
30/03/2020 21:25:39

Sussex Model Centre is still doing the business

Tom

Thread: Winter is here....who's been flying?
15/03/2020 09:18:58

Got out with some friends and the old SAS Fusion yesterday. Blue sky, bright sun but blimmin' windy!

It was good to combat!

Tom

Thread: Radio Queen ailerons
02/12/2019 21:53:47

If you want a vintage model with ailerons, search for 'Jackdaw' on this site. Designed for ailerons from the start, a plan is available on Outer Zone.

Tom

Thread: Favourite Non Scale Sport Bipe?
09/02/2019 08:21:00

Another vote for the Aeromaster. Mine was the 'too' version - equal span, 52" swept wings. Had it long, long ago, built from an original Lou Andrews kit!

Tom

Thread: Anyone else been up diddly up up on New Years Day?
02/01/2019 06:40:27

Yup,

Both New Years Eve and New Years Day at the Sussex RFC site. Cold & breezy, but at least it stayed dry and I didn't break anything 😀

Tom

Thread: SMC Splot
30/12/2018 08:58:32

Thanks John,

PM sent.

Tom

29/12/2018 19:35:20

Many, many years ago, I built a Splot from the Sussex Model Centre kit. A cool 36" span fun-fly that was in at the beginning of the dedicated funfly model genre.

Would anyone have a PDF of the plan for one of these please? IIRC there was enough info on the plan to build from.

I've had a look on Outerzone, but to no avail!

Tom

Thread: Plug Problem?
27/11/2018 06:43:05

The electric lightbulb analogy is spot-on. Replace it and enjoy your flying.

Thread: Pack flat field stand
17/11/2018 10:47:04

I've been using the SLEC foldable flight mate over this season.

I can thoroughly recommend it as a saver of knees!

Tom

Thread: fav model of all time
29/06/2018 09:03:32

Got to be a WOT 4! I haven't been without one since the first kits came out - kit, artf or foam, ic or electric, they all do what you want to do.

I may not take one every time I go to the field, but they are always prepped and ready to go.

Tom

Thread: Lipos ?
28/06/2018 15:58:26

I agree with MattyB, although I use 60% as the constant. I also use this rating for my esc's as well. If they're not working too hard, they'll last that much longer 😀

Tom

Thread: I/C to Electric power comparison?
28/06/2018 15:49:17

Absolutely Matty! Knowledge is always a good thing.

However, in the context of the OP, my explanation has not led me far wrong.

Tom

Thread: RARE LARGE SCALE RC Dornier Do 335 (Engine front and back)
28/06/2018 09:22:22

I have one of the Black horse 335's, running two HobbyKing G61 motors on twin 5S 4000 packs. It is remarkably stable and performs all of the aerobatics that I care to do.

The only issue is the landing as the lower fin prevents a good flare for touchdown - use of the large split-flaps are a must!

Tom

Thread: I/C to Electric power comparison?
28/06/2018 09:14:24

The electric motor suppliers have cottoned-on to the mysteries of the ic-electric conversions, especially e-flite.

You can shortcut the excellent advice given above by looking at the e-flite website and checking the spec of their 'power' moters. For instance they do a 'power 91' which is a very close approximation to a 4st .91 in power output. Unfortunately their motors are superb, with a price tag to suit!

So, make a note of the spec's of your chosen size, and then go off to the budget sites for their equivalent hardware - works for me 😀

Alternatively, talk to 4-max with your requirements and they will see you alright.

Tom

Thread: FW 190
28/05/2018 21:51:19

I have a 1400mm FMS 190, and it flies great on a 4S 4000 lipo. It's complete with split flaps, slow retracts and also Nav lights. I can thoroughly recommend it.

Tom

Thread: How large scale electric can you go?
28/04/2018 16:17:58

Going back to your fuel statement, 50cc is about 2 ounces, wouldn't keep a 100cc motor running for very long...

Tom

Thread: The 2018 Transmitter Survey!
14/04/2018 12:58:14

I have an original DX7 which has not missed a beat in all the years that I've had it.

I also have in regular use a JR347 & JR3810 with spekkie rf modules, and finally a Taranis that I am getting to grips with.

Tom

Thread: JR nes591 servo's
28/12/2017 16:34:00

Hi,

Just been browsing the Macgregor website, and came across this statement, on the supply voltage question.

JR Servos and 4.8v

JR design their range of servos around the voltage of a 4 cell Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh battery. These batteries are rated at 4.8v but this is a nominal voltage for the battery pack. A 4 cell battery will reach slightly over 6v when fully charged.

With modern Li-Po and Li-Fe batteries being widely used, regulated power supplies are becoming common place in model aircraft to help keep the weight down, keep a stable voltage and to aid in high power situations on large aircraft with high power servos. The use of a regulated power supply up to 6v is fine to use.

However using a 5 cell Ni-Mh battery which is rated at 6v is not ok to use, this battery will reach over 7v when fully charged and may damage the servo. If you are looking to use this type of battery we would recommend the HV, WV or NX range of JR servos which can handle this extra voltage.

Thread: Wooden propeller choice
06/09/2017 06:44:07

How do Punctilio beechwood props stack up? They've been around for years.

Tom

Thread: Chilli Breeze electric
27/08/2017 21:24:40

With all this chatter about the Chilli, I got mine out and dusted it off for a session today. Still flies nicely smiley

Tomimg_20170827_142257873.jpg

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!