By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tom Gaskin 1

Here is a list of all the postings Tom Gaskin 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: World Models Spitfire 60
27/08/2017 10:18:41

Hi,

On the Unitracts website is a very good explanation of how to work out the relevant angles that the retract unit and oleo have to be set at to get the wheels in the correct place, both extended and retracted.

There is an even more technical description on calculating these angles in Gordon Whitehead's book, Scale Models.

Tom

Thread: Phoenix 2000, are metal geared servos advisable?
21/08/2017 15:21:52

I have had my P2K for some years now, and it is still on the original plastic-geared servos.

It was a PnP, so all was fitted, out of the box. I added two more servos for the flap function, and then used the Radian Pro setup on the Horizon Hobby website to setup crow braking, full-span camber & reflex, and normal flaps.

All this from the installed ESC and a 1300 3S lipo!

As David says, it thermals rather well; the camber/reflex option slows you down in the lift, and speeds you up to exit the sink. The Crow brakes are like pulling the handbrake on smiley

Tom

Thread: Hard to see?
19/08/2017 07:40:13

I prefer a little asymmetry to the decorations. No matter what the colours, you get visual clues.

Tom

img_20160102_132033.jpg

Thread: Chilli Breeze electric
18/08/2017 19:40:09

No, what isn't visible in the shots is that there is no bottom to the cowling, so the motor can easily go in at a slight angle with a wriggle. I use cap-head bolts with a long-series Allen key to fix.

Tom

18/08/2017 13:13:57

Hi KC,

I mounted my motor on the existing firewall, using the cruciform mounting that come with the motor.

Mine is from the original 1994 RCM&E freebie smiley

Tom

17/08/2017 21:50:18

Hmmm, I suppose something in the region of a 2200 4cell may fit, Stuart. Unless others know different?

Tom

16/08/2017 20:06:39

Stuart,

The electric setup is very similar in weight to the IC fitment. With the Lipo under the hatch that you see in my picture, the CG came out very slightly nose heavy - about 25gms (one ounce in real money) under the tailplane sufficed.

And, the batteries are dead easy to swap out smiley

Tom

16/08/2017 14:07:42

Hi Stuart,

Mine was built from the free plan (with built-up wings), with tweaks to suit its' electrification.

Tom

16/08/2017 11:28:38

A couple of pictures of mine - I built it specifically for electric, so incorporated the large battery hatch to make things easy.

chilli_breeze_2.jpgchilli_breeze_1.jpg

16/08/2017 06:41:23

Hi, I still have my electric Chilli Breeze, powered by an AXI 2820/10 on a 3 cell 4000 mAH lipo.

Power is sufficient smiley

I'll dig out photos a bit later.

Tom

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!