By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul james 8

Here is a list of all the postings Paul james 8 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Looking for a cowl for my Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk.
01/09/2019 09:46:27

This is "Madame Rouge" prior to the tidying up. Looks better in the photo than she actually is.

Looking to join a friendly flying club in the South Northants/Milton Keynes/Oxford area where flying this sort of model is permitted yesyes

carl goldberg super chipmunk.jpg

31/08/2019 08:54:29

John Laird,

Message sent re. your offer of a spare cowl.

ATB

Paul

30/08/2019 10:16:07

Know what you mean about the patina, mine has a rather gnarly looking old latex pilot but he's kept her in the air so far, he can keep the job for now.

Apart from the cowl I'll just fix up minor bits such as a bit of damage to the end of the elevator and tidying up the edges of the covering where it is coming loose.

One thing I'm having a bit of a problem with is stopping it from nosing over when I'm taxiing out on the strip. If the grass is less than perfect every time I blip the throttle the tail wheel lifts, losing steering. That is with full up elevator held in, I cant add any more elevator throw as it will then catch the underside of the rudder. Don't want to mess with the C of G as she flys so nicely. I've set the wheels so that the centreline is just ahead of the leading edge when viewed from directly above.

I've found it to be a very forgiving plane to fly and (so far) it has survived my gross incompetence.

30/08/2019 09:31:08

These forums are really spot on; every question I've posted has been comprehensively answered, which has helped my progress with the hobby significantly.

Hope to have a few photos to post shortly of a few projects that will be getting completed now our flying field has been closed

29/08/2019 23:08:29

Thanks very much for the great response guys, I think I will go with a Carbon Copy one and crack on with the work to get the plane neat and tidy.

Mine has been covered in red solartex rather than the fancier standard colours but it still looks great.

I could be tempted to buy a tidier one if anyone has one for sale.

29/08/2019 16:33:21

As the title says I'm looking for a cowl for an old Goldberg 64" span Super Chipmunk.

I bought the model recently and did all that was needed to get it flying, it is a true peach of a plane to fly so I'm now looking to go over it properly and do a bit of a refurb job.

I've fitted an OS 95V into mine, had to repair the exhaust outlet in the head but it runs superbly and gives the plane plenty of go.

Hope someone here might know of a UK source for such things.

All the best,

Paul

Thread: DB Major Mannock
08/05/2019 11:49:09

Sorry I haven't responded, not got round to sorting mine yet, got so many models now I'm not sure which to get in the air first!! Will be interesting to see what you put on yours!!

Thread: Acrowot with laser 80
10/04/2019 22:47:15
Posted by Tim Flyer on 10/04/2019 18:19:25:

By the way Paul I had to add10g of lead on the tail. If I did the build again with the 70 , I would have put the throttle servo next to the rudder servo as per instructions. I did also replace the heavy wooden elevator pushrod with a light weight carbon one . That may have also affected it a bit.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 10/04/2019 18:20:52

That is a bit of a surprise as my old one, with a Saito 82 up front has a big slab of lead on the firewall. Balances perfectly and flys well for an old un. I've got a Kyosho spitfire to sort out first then maybe on to the new Acrowot.

10/04/2019 16:13:19

Great news! Makes me want to get on with my new one

18/03/2019 06:28:57
Posted by Tim Flyer on 17/03/2019 17:47:45:

Here is my exhaust with the plane inverted I’m using a jubilee clip bolted to a home made aluminium bracket on the end to clamp it . When the plane is finished I will insert a high temp silicone sleeve in the clamp to allow a bit of give and reduce vibration. 96eb7edc-f1ec-4bba-87db-8658c61ca5bf.jpeg

Edited By Tim Flyer on 17/03/2019 17:48:31

That is a pretty tight bend in the flexi tube right up near the head, would it not have been possible to fit a rigid bend at that point then flexible from there? Got to start on mine soon so will be interested to hear how you get on with yours before deciding on exhaust fitting.

Edited By Paul james 8 on 18/03/2019 06:30:39

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
04/03/2019 10:17:26
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 04/03/2019 08:56:43:

Im in the position where there are far higher priority jobs that need attention. The M8 sleeve nut is only supplied with the 160v and 240v..both of which are out of production.

I would like to do a complete overhaul of the accessories we offer but i have to get the engines sorted out first

Makes perfect sense to prioritise your workload, easy for folks to lose sight of how many bits and pieces are involved when making a range of products like yours

I'm not looking to make parts on a commercial basis, just happy to help people out where I can for non standard or hard to get parts.

03/03/2019 22:35:17

There are various ways of doing the sleeve nuts, the simplest is with a sleeve that goes back inside the prop, for these a washer with an oversized bore to suit is required. The other one I make up as required has both the sleeve to go into the prop and a protrusion at the opposite end of the nut with a thread to take a spinner centre bolt.

When making these for my own use I obviously have the engine and prop I'm going to use so can measure up from that to make the required parts. i don't have all the data for all the engines so if anyone wanted one or two I'd need info from them.

Typically for an engine with a crankshaft thread of 8mm or 5/16" UNF I make the outside of the sleeve 10mm diameter, with a 10mm thread the outside is 12mm diameter. Lengths of sleeve need to be considered so that with any given prop hub thickness the thread in the nut sleeve doesn't bottom out on the step on the crankshaft.

I don't want to tread on the toes of the guys at Laser and it is unlikely that in batches of 1 or 2 I could meet their very reasonable price of £8.50 for nut and washer. Not sure if they do one with a front extension for a spinner screw?? It is pretty basic machining work but I can understand if the guys at Laser are pushed for time to get some made.

02/03/2019 10:44:08

I'm making up some of the sleeved nuts shortly, need one to fit my 200 with aluminium spinner.

Thread: Acrowot with laser 80
21/02/2019 17:08:49

I'm about to start putting a new ARTF Acrowot together and I have a tidy rebuilt Laser 75 that I'm thinking about fitting. I have a scruffy old Acrowot with a Saito 82 up front but that has a great lump of lead as well to balance it so I guess the 75 will be fine?

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
18/02/2019 12:30:15

Interesting stuff Jon, good to get feedback from someone who has tried these mods. I modified an Irvine carb to fit one of my Lasers as I have the facilities to easily do so here. I found it was at least as good as the old Super Tigre style carb and a tad simpler to set up.

18/02/2019 11:36:03

Interesting idea Bruce, can't see why it wouldn't work, probably best not to have too abrupt a bend leading into the inlet port as it may cause turbulence but might not make much difference. Most other 4 strokes seem to have the carb much "lower" with an inlet stub having quite a sharp bend where it meets the head.

I've made up different exhausts to fit them and inlet stubs with different carburetors, all of which have worked fine.

It seems to be the height of the carburetor centreline relative to the fuel tank that is important on these and how they are as standard isn't always the easiest to accommodate in a model. That is an observation rather than a criticism.

Let us know how you get on

Edited By Paul james 8 on 18/02/2019 11:36:34

31/01/2019 10:16:34
Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 31/01/2019 10:11:52:

Call for help!

Confession!! I am guilty (before some of you choose to berate).

I have some how managed to round off the hex recess on one of the screws that hold the rocker cover on my 150. Current situation being neither a metric nor a SAE allen key is able to get a grip. And no, the keys themselves are fine as they work perfect on the other screw.

Any ideas on how to open the screw that has the knackered hex head ?

Edited By Manish Chandrayan on 31/01/2019 10:12:27

If you can find a pin punch that is the right size to fit the head of the screw, give it a sharp tap with a light hammer and it will very often allow you to unscrew a screw that has this problem. If it is still difficult you might try an "easy out". I've got a good selection of those if you get stuck.

08/01/2019 15:02:38
Posted by Chris Walby on 08/01/2019 12:35:36:

Off topic

Laser engines are not the core business of AEG engineering and if anyone who thinks they could make a profit making quality engines is plane deluded. There are hundreds of thousands of pounds of CNC machines manufacturing various parts and Laser engines are fitted in as an when.

As it would appear that this might have been aimed at my comment relating to manufacturing engines I'll just respond to that.

I've been in the engineering business for a good while now having been involved in design, development and production. I've done quite well from being deluded along the way and have learned that actually making all the parts of ones own product isn't always the way to optimise production and profitability. The thing to be tightly in control of is the design of the product, ensuring that the specifications of each part means that they can be made by anyone with the appropriate equipment. Risking massive investment in owning the manufacturing equipment is not always the way forward on relatively low production rate products. Buying in machined parts and assembling them to arrive at the end product works well for my range of precision gas flow measuring equipment, the same concept could easily be applied to an engine, which is a relatively straightforward engineering product.

I won't bore you with any more of my thoughts as it isn't really truly on topic, merely relevant to your post.

08/01/2019 09:34:52

Having followed this recently I feel that I should confess to owning some engines that aren't in models. I have more than one motorcycle as well

It is interesting to hear that an in demand product such as the Laser V engines are out of production at the moment. Is it because they have technical issues or is there some sort of commercial reason I wonder? I demand is not met by supply the problem is that alternatives will be used by potential customers. (Not a dig at you Jon)

As an engineer myself I have to wonder if it might be a good time to consider manufacturing an alternative multi cylinder British made engine. Not all are looking to fly with electric power; I don't find it very enjoyable personally but that could partly be an age thing

Thread: 2.4gHz newbie :(
23/11/2018 13:42:02
Posted by Nigel R on 23/11/2018 11:03:28:

"Don't really want to proiritise flap control over ailerons by giving each flap servo a separate channel so will tinker with a flap servo and see about altering the internal configuration."

Don't bother.

Buy a servo reverser widget from HobbkyKing.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-3-channel-servo-speed-direction-regulator.html

Will do flap speed control for all 3 outputs, one of which is reversed.

If you don't want speed control, a plain reverser:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigytm-servo-signal-reverser.html

I've seen these but never used them (as the need has not previously arisen) but have seen some comments suggesting they can be problematic. It is an option I will bear in mind for the future.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us