By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Kenny

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Kenny has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Starting Out
25/04/2017 19:13:17

Hi Derek,

As a fellow newbie of the same age (actually a year older) I'm also addressing my midlife crisis by finally getting into flying. Warning, it's addictive and you'll find yourself buying models at swap meets and trying to fly them all!

The best move I made was to get RealFlight which gives me a lot of practice when the weather isn't so good, or on a dark night, or even lunch times at work! Best of all, I was able to practice things like flying towards myself without bending any real planes, bystanders.

When I did finally get my first real life lesson, the club members were all commenting on how surprised they were at what I was doing and that on lesson 2 (that's my 2nd 10 minute flight, not a 2nd day), I was doing my own take offs and landings!

It's also fun just to fly some different planes like jets which, ordinarily, no sane person would let us anywhere near!

have fun!

Tony

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 25/04/2017 21:24:30

Thread: Gaining / losing altitude on turns
25/04/2017 19:05:43

Hi All,

My first post, finally got into model flying after about 20 years of trying! Plenty of hours on the simulator and had a few lessons at the club, ready to take the 'A' cert soon!

I primary plane is a Flyzone Sensei and I also have a Phoenix 2000 powered glider which I'm hoping to take soaring soon.

One problem I can't seem to solve is gaining or losing height in figure 8s. I can make 90 or 180 degree turns and keep the altitude pretty constant, but by the time I reach the fourth quarter of a circle, I start to gain height. I've tried easing off the elevator at that point or just before with limited effect. Then just as I roll out of the turn and into the next, I get a loss of height and my figure 8s are just too varied in height for my liking.

My instructor doesn't seem too worried about it, but it's something I want to get right.

Had a bit of success on the sim tonight by practising figure 8s at about 2m off the ground so I can see the change a bit sooner, but at higher alt, I end up back to the greater variations, confirmed by using the altimeter in the sim, so it doesn't appear to be just an issue of perception.

In the meantime, my plan is to practice 360s, and once I'm happy with those, move onto the transition between left/right hand turns in the figure 8.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Tony

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!