By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Levy

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Levy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: De Havilland Airco DH2 scratch build
24/02/2019 00:17:42

wings all covered, struts painted. Foam cowl ready for finishing and painting. Undercarriage built, just need to paint. Not true scale wheels but ive had these hand made spokes for years so going to use them

18/02/2019 22:54:32

decided to fit servos into lower wing. Having asked a few others who went for the scale cable route, the general feeling there was quite a lot of 'play' which I thought in a bigger madel would only be increased.. Dry fitted for fit before covering and gluing. Things are looking ok so far. Gluing all the bits together is going to be a bit of a task though. Next step - constructing the elevator and rudder links and undercarriage

14/02/2019 22:26:25

Taking shape now. wings almost complete. just need to add lower wing root ribs and wing struts. Then on to building the boom which I will be using 5mm carbon fibre rods

11/02/2019 17:45:33

Thank you Roy for going to the effort of photographing and detailing. Some ambitious rigging there. I too was contemplating two mini servos in the bottom wing and I guess while I am at this stage of building would be better to decide now. If you started building this again is that what you would do? thanks Martin

10/02/2019 11:13:33

Hi Jeff why turn the tank around? Surely the pipes need to face the engine??

10/02/2019 09:27:41

fitted and plumbed fuel tank. Nice and secure. Add 1/32 ply fuzz deck and engine mount. Think im going to put a Saito 62FA now rather than 82 which may be overkill and there isn't much to this plane in terms of structure and weight. Trial fitted Wing Commander Mallard. I know what you may be thinking but he was given to me by my mother in law just before she passed away 20 years ago. Lovely lady and a fitting tribute.

10/02/2019 09:23:59

05/02/2019 22:34:50

Hi Roy. Yes I have looked at yours several times. In fact only yesterday was using it as a reference to decide on how I would link the top and bottom ailerons and have decided to go with the pushrods. Wouldn't mind a sketch of your closed loop system if you have the time? A great build Roy but the difference with me is I have to fly them. I've crashed a few scratch builds on maidens but at least I got to see them fly and its character building/ You should take the leap of faith. What's the worst that could happen? ok you may crash her but the second one will take only 200 hours!!!

04/02/2019 22:09:56

Thanks Jeff. Have a had a look at those plans but not being a brilliant plan reader still cant make sense of them. Need to study them more me thinks.

03/02/2019 22:20:59

03/02/2019 22:20:13

have made a start on the top wings now. These plans are rudder only but I am adding ailerons so have added the aileron spars. Now looking at my options on how I will link them to a servo. Would like to use the method used on the full size but seems a bit complex. If anyone knows any links or have some suggestions please let me know

25/01/2019 22:48:01

25/01/2019 22:47:23

I'll bear that in mind Wingman. The plan was to leave a nice hollow cowl so can be filled with as much lead as I need. One advantage of a rear engine. Will be interesting to see how much I'll need but I do have a nice powerful FA 82 so should be ok.So despite a chest infection, the shivers and a cold I soldiered on and fitted the engine mount to the firewall, glued in place reinforced it and cut out the fuselage top from 1/32 ply. That doesn't seem to quite overlap enough so will have to cut a new, slightly wider one. Feeling rough now so called it a night

24/01/2019 22:23:20

24/01/2019 22:22:59

Have added 1/32 ply doublers for added strength and to reinforce the cabane struts. Joined the two sides. will glue rear firewall once I've drilled and fixed the engine mount. Have cut hole in middle former for fuel tank and started to construct the elevator control assembly (bottom right)

Edited By Martin Levy on 24/01/2019 22:23:56

20/01/2019 01:16:47

20/01/2019 01:16:01

Thanks Jeff2wings and Colin. Will make references to those plans too. Have already started with some modifications. Got the elevators, fin and rudder done today and cut the three main fuse forms. The rear one from 1/4" ply which will be the firewall for the engine mount. This will sit further forwards through to allow for length of the crank. Dry fitting at the moment. picking up the courage to start gluing.

18/01/2019 23:27:11

Interesting, thanks for that Colin. Quite a lot of modifying to do on this. New firewall to support the engine, adding ailerons etc. I don't hang around when I build so you wont have to wait months for completion. will keep the updates coming

18/01/2019 23:06:19

18/01/2019 23:05:48

Started on the fuse. cut slots for cabane struts and glued in place with a sheet ply doubler to strengthen. Will be adding strength through the build as this was designed for electric power but I will be using a hefty Saito 80FS. Thankfully managed to get in touch with Mike Roach who designed this for some handy tips. Thanks Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us