By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Richard Ashworth

Here is a list of all the postings Richard Ashworth has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A new caption competition - winner declared!
02/12/2019 08:54:30

A proper drones much easier to fly! I learned about two years ago in a big open area near Crawley, West Sussex.

Thread: indestructible slow flyer....
29/09/2019 09:26:01

Plus 1 for the We Can Fly, still on sale I suspect as the ST Models Discovery. I started with the Discovery 4 years ago and its still going well having absorbed the ‘rough treatment’ of my early learning period without any problems,

Thread: Buying cheap new or (slightly) cheaper s/h?
28/09/2019 16:52:50

Hi Foxfan

This may help on understanding binding receivers to transmitters.

With Spektrum (and I believe some others) when you bind the receiver it is effectively told to only respond to that transmitter AND only respond if the transmitter is set to the model memory in use when it was bound.

Some systems do or did not have that extra check, they were only set to respond to a specific transmitter no matter which model was selected.

A couple of years ago a colleague using Futaba finished flying an electric model, put it down on the grass in the pits and switched off his transmitter. He forgot to disconnect the plane battery. Twenty minutes later he picked up a second plane, connected its battery and carried to the strip where he ran the motor up prior to takeoff. The live model in the pits also started up and had to be pounced on to prevent an accident. Both receivers were simply listening for a transmission from the owners transmitter.

99.9% of the time we get it right but “modelmatch” or any such double security system makes it “foolproof”.

It also means the transmitter will always have the settings for the model you are flying as nothing will work if you try to use model 1 on any model memory in the tx other than model 1.

Thread: Servo Torque guide - Sport Flying (electric)
29/07/2019 17:42:09

Hi again

Power on was I understand a last resort. I only saw the last 75ft of the 200ft descent so I don’t know about the previous 125ft.

The electric setup was Quantum 55 motor, 12x8 electric prop, 5S 4000 battery, Overlander 80amp SBEC ESC, 4x Hitec HS322 servos.

The fateful flight was brisk, loops, rolls, inverted and about 4 minutes in duration when the event occurred.

For the last 3-4 months 3 turn spins have been a fairly regular practice feature of his flights on a number of models including at least two on the Acrowot two days earlier so it ‘should’ have been business as usual. It was a bit breezy so the Acrowot which is possibly his biggest model and looked totally stable during the rest of the flight was flown.

29/07/2019 09:57:32

Thanks for all suggestions.

Don - My colleague retired from professional flying 8 years ago and has flown fixed wing radio control regularity since. Currently working towards a Fixed wing B. As a CFI he demonstrated and taught spinning so fully understands recovery method, power was a last resort and the running motor eliminates signal loss.

The earth it went into was still fairly soft and covered in long ‘rough, sheep pasture grass’. It needed a bit of work to get the spinner and motor out and there was some damage to one wing tip but otherwise ‘shaken but not stirred’.

The area I was investigating was more “was were a basic under specification of the servos, especially rudder?”

Chris - All the components seem to work individual so a bench 4 servo, simultaneous end stop to end stop test is viable.

Martin - the battery was still in the right place on the tray used to locate it and the tray, although damaged, was firmly attached to the structural support so I don’t think it moved in flight.

Thanks again to all.

28/07/2019 19:53:56

I think its ‘There goes another theory!” From comments, the 322 on the rudder seems to have friends who vouch for its good character.

I didn’t see the start of the spin, but am told it was a standard low speed, nose up entry at 200ft.

I saw just the last 75ft when it was pointing down at about 60deg going fairly fast in what I would call more of a power on spiral dive. At that stage I would say the ailerons were as found left up, right down but there was nothing to suggest the full up elevator or full left rudder as found on recovery.

Power had been applied during the descent when a power off recovery wasn’t happening. Everything in front of the wing was unrecognisable except the undercarriage which was still attached to a bit of the mounting plate but pristine!

28/07/2019 18:58:57

Thanks Martin.

My colleague is an ex light plane CFI and 737 captain and his first actions were as suggested. The problem is that nothing he did worked and we are working through why he couldn’t get a recovery. We are aware that the surfaces were more or less as he put them to, intentionally, at a safe height, to put the plane into the spin, left hand direction.

I was trying to get discussion focussed on were the servos man enough without a discussion on the plane he was flying but for information it was a Ripmax ARTF Acro Wot, rip!

Edited By Richard Ashworth on 28/07/2019 19:08:34

Edited By Richard Ashworth on 28/07/2019 19:09:24

28/07/2019 18:30:17

Hi all.

A colleagues plane recently hit the ground at the end of an ‘unable to stop it’ spin.

All components work independently afterwards but the fuz and battery were total write offs. The motor was still running when it hit which seems to rule out Signal loss, as a failsafe check had been done pre flight. The flying control positions on recovery were left aileron up, right down, rudder hard left, elevator full up. We cannot say how much of this was movement on impact.

The aircraft was a 7lb low wing sport aircraft 5S powered and being thrown about in a brisk sport mode, in no way 3D. Both ailerons, elevator and rudder had Hitec HS322 servos on the powered through the receiver at 5v via a SBEC.

My questions (at last) are, at 3kg/cm were the servos, mainly the rudder servo, man enough for the job? Could an ‘overload’ on a servo (rudder) have occurred in the spin and prevented an exit by overpowering it , but not be apparent afterwards? Is there a general rule of thumb re flying mode, model weight, servo power?

I have not been in rc long but have used HS325s in 4lb planes and HS5485s in 6lb planes.

Advice welcome.

Thread: SLEC Electric FunFly
18/07/2019 22:16:11

Daniel.

I have sent you a private message with a few detailed comments on the build should you go for it.

Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs on leccy conversions but the suggestions are simple and worked for me.

Richard

Thread: Russian aircraft over St. Petersburg
18/07/2019 15:58:18

Sorry to disappoint Bruce, just an aircraft recognition nut!

An anorak would have known that the yellow chopper (standard layman term) is an Airbus Helicopters EC145

(operated by Babcock Scandinavian - but had to look that up!)

Cheers Richard

Thread: SLEC Electric FunFly
17/07/2019 22:13:21

The only item not used was the supplied hinges. Two part, metal pin joined. I was not confident in getting then in firm enough without gluing at least one solid so it was polyester / CA for the ailerons and fin and pinned 25mm Mylar for the elevator. Completed 13th June - maiden 15 June. Smooth as silk with reduced starting throws and glides like a sailplane power off!. 3548 Thumper motor, 60A esc, 11x8 leccy prop and 4cell 3000 battery (10 mins flight 50% left, must try harder).

Geoff - I am not sure how an i/c version could be sweeter! (And thanks for the warning on the fuz!)

Edited By Richard Ashworth on 17/07/2019 22:14:46

17/07/2019 22:04:58

Covering done, HK film, all put together and debut photos done!

Covered side view

17/07/2019 22:02:27

A bit jumbled as we had a weeks hol and on resuming forgot to take as many pics!

Cover and hatch in progress for the top of the wing.

b24cbb87-e42f-4b5b-ae7c-d79597223430.jpeg

More shaping and sanding done, rear end glued. Ailerons rudder and elevator held on with masking tape.

Pre Covering

17/07/2019 21:46:58

Hi Daniel

I have to say it was a 50/50 decision between buying a jig or “risking it”! The “risking it” won as storage of the jig would have been a problem afterwards and I did a more difficult fuz ok sans jig last year.

I spent time on getting the central formers and servo tray in and square and checking that the rears of both fuz sides met both in length and horizontally. I also used a long steel rule as a check.

17/07/2019 21:38:31

Leading and trailing edge balsa added then wing sheeting done. Good time for another “trial”

Pre Leading edge

Not sure what its going to look like finished, a bit like a “duck”!

Davids plane, Permagrit block, fine sandpaper and the first HUGE pile of shavings - one cheek piece done!

Fin fillet pre and post

More to throw away than keep.

Second one done and have to say improves the rear!

Fin cheeks place

17/07/2019 20:32:54

Using the plan and the good old set square the the wings quickly went together, Lower hardwood spar glued to ply strip, ribs glued in not forgetting servo boxes, and using the false leading edge as a check,  then upper hardwood spar added and done!

Ribs cut out

Basic structure

R

Edited By Richard Ashworth on 17/07/2019 20:45:15

Edited By Richard Ashworth on 17/07/2019 20:45:47

17/07/2019 20:32:54

Control run snakes in, rear decking to do and thinking of wings already!

Ribs & Ply Spar

Main spars and ribs. I wasn’t sure about the amount of cut out at the front and rear of the ribs but with a front D box and rear cap strips on I have found them to be very sturdy.

Decking on and front hatch made and shaped you just have to see what its going to look like with cowl fin and tailplane don’t you?

8d7eb5f4-63ab-4ce7-80b2-a9befcf9c000.jpeg

Edited By Richard Ashworth on 17/07/2019 20:36:51

17/07/2019 20:19:47

The ply fuz sides give a good idea of quality of cut.

Cutting

Balsa doublers attached, a few formers and

Fuz 1st Dry fit

17/07/2019 20:13:06

The good thing with having a May birthday is that its a good excuse to buy another plane kit to build and its warm enough in the garage to build it.

After a few months of reading up on the net and pondering if it would take my flying skills forward early May the SLEC Electric FUNFLY was purchased.

On delivery the box was opened to”check for damage” and take out the build instructions for a sneaky pre birthday read and put together a motor, esc, servos and any other goodies I fancied shopping list.

The contents of the box were well packed with everything neat and tidy and the included hardware and small parts neatly wrapped in sealed poly bags.

Box as delivered

The plastic cowl had a small rip / crease in the top but only effecting the area that would be cut away when the excess was cut away for fitting.

One day after birthday, build began with identifying and cleaning off fuz parts as very well documented and described in the build instructions. A plan is provided for the wing but all other parts are “build - stuck together as per the detailed written instructions cross referenced to a book of pictures.

Excellent wood selection, very accurate laser and cnc cutting made the build easy with other than the standard sanding of laser cut parts a fairly painless experience.

Aliphatic and epoxy were the glues of choice and with parts being interlocking, a flat work surface and a set square things progressed quickly.

Thread: Russian aircraft over St. Petersburg
17/07/2019 19:21:33

In order

Kamov KA 27 anti submarine helicopters

Ilyushin IL 20 maritime reconnaissance turboprop

Ilyushin IL76 freighter in early warning radar mode with Sukhoi SU30 fighters

Tupolev TU114 Bear, long range bomber, that likes spooking the RAF north of the UK.

Richard

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us