By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Gray

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Gray has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ESM Tigercat - powered by Laser engines
07/08/2020 15:14:00

@Chris - the big pitch change you can see in the vid is when the engine cut. I was in a banked turn, to the right, so the left wing was higher than the right and as the right engine cut the left one pushed the nose down. I corrected that with big left rudder which then pulled the nose up and the subsequent roller coaster ride was me trying to balance the 2 and turn it into wind, at the same time trying to avoid the big hay stack (I actually flew over the top of it!!). The whole process was complicated by having a cross wind blowing! A change of underwear when I got home, but a good training session in one engine flying.

07/08/2020 13:49:40

Actually I put it down to the new fuel I'm using, the 'Laser Less', you put 100% in but you only get 90%. I mistook it for the Laser Pro reduced oil version.

Thread: Any chance of a last unread post button
07/08/2020 10:21:06

If it is 'too difficult' to migrate old data to a new system why don't they just keep the existing one as an archive and introduce a new one? Tthe old posts will still be there and I'm sure that users wouldn't mind setting themselves up in the new system (if that data can't be ported - but I would find that unbelievable) as they would welcome better software.

Thread: ESM Tigercat - powered by Laser engines
07/08/2020 08:43:37

The other thing that didn’t help was that I was held up, with the engines running,before going to the flight line. I thought that it was only for a couple of minutes or so, but having just looked at the telemetry it was in excess of 8. Even on tickover fuel was obviously being consumed. Note to self, if held, top up immediately before going to flight line.

07/08/2020 06:42:38

Just as Jon said, fuel starvation, due to a lack of fuel! When I got home I drained the tanks and there was nothing to drain from the right hand tanks. This was strange as I had filled them up at the same time as the left ones, so I think that, for some reason, they did not fill right up. The only explanation I can think of is that I filled through one vent until the fuel spilled from the other whereas I normally fill through the fill with one vent blocked, wait for the spill from the other vent then block that one off and continue to fill until the other vent spills. I know it shouldn’t make any difference but that’s the only explanation I have. At least I have found the cause of the problem and can confidently take the big cat out again.

07/08/2020 06:36:23

Well, the results of the ‘Air Accident Investigation team’ are in. And the findings are...........

06/08/2020 21:23:17

Yep Cymaz. my lucky day, no damage at all to the 'plane.

06/08/2020 20:19:34

Well 7 months later and I decided to address the problem I had with one of the engines. To cut a long story short I took the problem motor off the 'plane and then it was obvious what was wrong, the carbs on that engine were not mechanically balanced, in other words the barrels were opening at different angles, I don't know when that happened but I adjusted both so that they were in sync, put the engine back on and bingo, it ran perfectly. I then balanced the low and high end of both engines and with no more excuses I took it up to the field today for its maiden flight. the following video shows that flight which didn't end quite the way I was expecting!

Thread: Use Venturi effect for cooling air?
06/08/2020 08:44:04

Personally I wouldn’t worry about cooling for the battery, it shouldn’t get that hot, if it does then something is wrong with the leccy setup. I would look to see if the esc could fit inside the cowl, if it can then as long as you have an exit for the air then there will be sufficient cooling for it. If it has to go as you’ve shown in your illustration then can you cut an air exit hole just in front of b/b? I do like to keep things simple and not over think them.

Thread: Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.
04/08/2020 09:05:49

In case you were wondering, the build hasn't stopped but it is (as predicted) slow! Anyway I've just about finished the fuse now, the shaping of which took a long time and there is quite a bit of sanding involved plus there were some anomalies in the lining up of some of the veneered foam pieces and the balsa infills.

Some photos of where we are.

Tailwheel added, it is fixed as i wanted to keep it simple and I feel that any ground handling issues (taxiing) can be addressed with differential throttle controls on a rotary knob (switched off in flight!!)

fullsizeoutput_15cc.jpeg

Lightweight snake and servo extension lead fitted

fullsizeoutput_15cd.jpeg

Elevator servo fitted (cut hole on crutch so that it didn't conflict with wing mounting).

fullsizeoutput_15cf.jpeg

Servo base will be boxed in as part of the radio operator's dash / instruments.

fullsizeoutput_15d2.jpeg

Lots of planing and sanding

fullsizeoutput_15d4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15d5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15d7.jpeg

Thread: What was at your field today
01/08/2020 19:57:15

Nice looking Gyroplane dropped in today.

Landing

Take off
Thread: Peeling stickers on foam models
01/08/2020 19:52:15

+1 for the POR

Thread: The State of Play
29/07/2020 16:15:08

Absolutely bloody brilliant!!! - love it.thumbs up

29/07/2020 10:23:45

I saw the Sarik plans, but missed the other sizes, apart from the 95" one and I've seen YouTube vids of the TN one too. Trouble is, once you've built a WR kit them you are somewhat spoilt and tend to wish all kits were like that! Not that I'm against cutting my own (is that like rolling your own??). So, yes, I would dearly love for richard to get a grip and produce a Beau, never mind the Mossie (although that is also another fav but too 'common' but we really need a groundswell to get it moving (more chance of a pig shaped one methinks).

@Chris - get what you mean, a failure in a twin is potentially more of an issue than a single. I've also got a GTC (enlarged) to build at some point.

@Eric - keep following the BF110 build, pictures will;l be few and far between as Paul, Dwain, Graham etc have provided excellent ones so far so no point in repeating them! With a bit of luck it may get finished in the next couple of weeks!!!

29/07/2020 09:10:37

Looking ahead, I rather fancy building a Beaufighter but this seems to be a very rarely modelled ‘plane. Can’t understand why as the subject matter, spanning a period of 20 years of service, gives the opportunity for many different colour schemes etc. I understand the reluctance to fly multis, historically the fear of engine failure, but with modern electric power and sound modules surely this shouldn’t be of concern?

I would be interested to see others views on the Beaufighter as a suitable subject matter.

Thread: Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.
28/07/2020 06:26:34

Thanks Graham, zero slop in the mechanism!

27/07/2020 22:11:21

Tail assembly is now finished, ready to be glued on to the fuse. I started off by silver soldering part of a quick link to etc U shaped elevator connection wire, this will act as the control arm which will be operated by a lightweight snake inside the fuse. This way both the rudder and elevator controls will all be hidden. But that then creates a bit of a logic puzzle as I need to assemble in each bit in the right order otherwise things will get hidden! As you will see in the following photos I have covered the tail pieces, Solartex for the rudders and elevators, and laminating film for the fins and tailplane. I did start out using parchment and diluted PVA (as per brown paper method) but I prefer laminating film. Why yellow 'tex, because I have some odd bits laying around waiting to be used on something and as it will be painted, why not?!!

fullsizeoutput_15c7.jpeg

Slot (it will be cleaned up!) cut in the crutch for the control arm

fullsizeoutput_15c8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15c9.jpeg

What the tail assembly looks like covered (elevators have not been glued on in this photo and U joiner isn't in place hence the different angles)

fullsizeoutput_15ca.jpeg

Still not sure if it's going to be a night fighter version, allthough the twin vertical guns look great!

vert guns 1.jpg

vert guns 2.jpg

26/07/2020 22:46:06

So a slow start to the build due to pressures of work but I did manage to snatch some time and progress has been made. As promised won't upload loads of build photos as they have already been done by others but will do so where I've built mine differently.

I mentioned above that I would be using a rear mounted servo for the rudders and this is what the installation looks like'

Firstly the cut out in the balsa sheeting so that I can have an access panel to get at the servo. This replaces the ply bell crank mounting plate.

fullsizeoutput_15aa.jpeg

Now the servo installed in the ply crutch the height of which is conveniently just right for the servo arm to align with the rudder push rods (I've also replaced the supplied ones with smaller gauge ones).

fullsizeoutput_15c5.jpeg

A rough hole was cut in the tailplane underside sheeting and I've used a collet in the servo arm to connect the pushrods and to give adjustment for alignment (like Paul used on his). I've soldered the metal quick links (M2) to the other ends of the pushrods as they don't need to be adjustable.

fullsizeoutput_15c6.jpeg

All tested and working OK!

The servo is a Blue Bird BMS-A10H WV Servo (3.2Kg.cm 0.07s 7.4g) which is only 8mm thick and has an alloy casing. They are really nice servos, I use them in my F3K and F5J gliders and they come from Hyperflight

I've got to fit the control linkages for the elevators and for that I need to silver solder a horn onto the U wire joiner and run a lightweight snake through to a servo mounted 'up front'. The control horn and snake will have to be to one side to avoid the rudder servo.

Work completed so far, tailplane and elevators, fins and rudders, fuse sides and crutch, engines nacelles including sanding to profile. So I feel like a decent start has been made and with no work for the next week I? should hopefully get a lot more done (although I will be out flying on 2 days!).

Thread: Top Flite P51 - 65" span
26/07/2020 22:20:55

It's the little bits that take the time, but coming along nicely Peter.

Thread: Who Else Wants a 63" Lavochkin La7 kit?
22/07/2020 17:55:43

I agree with you Bob, the eFlite retracts on my H9 Hellcat are a nightmare, last night one 5mm connecting wire snapped off on landing, no other damage fortunately.

Didn't realise that Specsavers are doing 2 for 1 on eFlite retracts now.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!