By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Gray

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Gray has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warning X8R RX - do not use with CDI on IC powered 'planes
12/06/2019 07:12:26

It’s not just the cap to plug fitting, as that can be easily seen on a CM6 type plug, it’s the HT inner wire / resistor / cap connections inside the cap that can form a gap and cause arching.

10/06/2019 22:48:00

@TOC - my advice would be to swap both X8Rs for the R Pro RXs, or, like me go for the R9 module.

Thread: Slowing down (a sports-aero) on landings - flaperons or spoilerons?
06/06/2019 13:50:56

@JonathanM - I have a grossly overpowered (5s - 6s) WOT4 that I use spoilerons on and these are very effective much better than flappers that I first used.

Thread: Where to buy small lipo
03/06/2019 10:37:30

Easy enough to take the end caps off!

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
03/06/2019 08:54:55

Thanks Tim. Despite having flown some of my electric ‘planes since the demise of Sbach 342 (2) I took to the air with the new one with more than a bit of trepidation! I shouldn’t have worried as it flew really well. Before the flight I did a long range signal test by driving about ¾ mile away with the TX then spoke via mobile to my mate in the pits to make sure controls were working! Fortunately there were no low signal messages from the telemetry. So I’ve no replumbed the tank all ready for next flight.

Thread: Peculiar petrol engine idle
02/06/2019 19:44:20

I run all of my DLEs on 50:1, no problems and clean!

Thread: 26 degrees in London? Not Here It Isn't.........
02/06/2019 10:07:56

26 and breezy here in south Norfolk

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
31/05/2019 22:30:40

To replace the Sbach 342 I lost a few weeks back, a new (to me) Sbach but this time a 300. Once again power by the Laser GA30 which has been rebuilt by Jon at Laser, having to fit a new crank, bearings and a new carb as all were damaged in the crash. I first took the 300 up to the field last week but had a problem trying to start the engine which was eventually traced to a broken hal sensor magnet in the prop driver. Replaced and back again today but had a problem with the engine cutting out, forcing me into dead stick landings but no damage. Back at home I found that the tank's plumbing wasn't quite right for the GA30 (plus a stupid oversize on my part) which was allowing air to get into the system. Now all fixed. However I am very pleased with the performance (despite the dead sticks), with plenty of power from the GA30 giving it a sprightly performance despite it being a bit heavier than the previous Sbach. I also tried Aspen fuel for the first time, not cheap but as Jon has mentioned, much cleaner than standard petrol oil mix.

img_2580.jpg

img_2590.jpg

img_2593.jpg

28/05/2019 22:35:35

Yes, simply unplug one from the RB10 or switch off on the TX. I plan to leave the TX with a mate then take the ‘plane  in my van, 1 mile away then check if it’s receiving.

Edited By Ron Gray on 28/05/2019 22:37:46

Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
28/05/2019 20:46:20

The trims can be ignored when setting up the various stages. Here are some brilliant documents to help understand the process:

Inputs

Mixes

Outputs

And here is the original post from the guy that did them:

RC Groups

Thread: ARTF tail feathers - what glue do you use
28/05/2019 20:36:38

Having previously used epoxy on several ARTF I have now changed to Super Aliphatic where there is a good fit. But I've also experimented with Gorilla glue where the fit wasn't that good and that was / is fine. The only issues I have with cyano is that it isn't waterproof (shouldn't be an issue!) and its not fuel (petrol) proof.

28/05/2019 20:19:42

@Alan - I use the R9M module in the external bay of the Horus and both this and the internal module seem to be fine running together. I've only done garden testing with it at the moment but will do a full range check plus failure checking when I'm up at the field on Friday. I've looked on line to see if there are any potential problems but haven't found anything, so I'm going to give it a go.

@Andy - thanks. I still intend flying my electric powered 'planes with the X series RXs, including my 2m F3a, fingers crossed but I work on the basis that if I haven't had a problem over the past 4 years with maybe 30 different 'planes then.....................

@Peter - thanks for all your help and I'm disappointed that the capacitor approach didn't produce a solution. Like you I do believe that it's a problem with the components but I do still need to test one last thing, that is to instal an old version of the firmware, if I can get one that is!

Thread: Fighteraces
28/05/2019 17:14:04

Looks like they’re rebuilding the site but they do provide both tel number and email addy in order to contact them.

28/05/2019 15:35:32

Thanks Barry. TBH that was the way that I used to set all my 'planes up, rates and expo in the mixes, it's only recently that I've changed to putting in the Inputs as it's far less work to do when changing them if not using GVs.

28/05/2019 15:12:46

Thanks to PeteC I have now carried out further testing but with different sized capacitors on the power lines, unfortunately the X RXs still locked out. So having now replaced the Sbach 342 with another Sbach, this time a 300 I have installed the following:

R9 RX running 868 Mhz

RX8R Pro RX running 2.4Ghz

Redundancy Bus 10

2 x 3000MaH 2s LiFe batteries for RX

1 x 2500MaH NiMh battery for ignition.

fdb36e54-7fc2-4702-b93e-fce4a37bbe27.jpeg

So belt, braces, jock strap the lot!

28/05/2019 14:26:33

What was the solution?

Thread: Trouble contacting Laser engines
28/05/2019 14:24:09

Great news Jon! On another note, GA30 running sweetly in Sbach Nr2 having replaced the magnet. Hope to ‘maiden’ it on Friday.

Thread: New- 2018 CONCORDE for 4x50mm EDF
26/05/2019 19:36:11

It’s on YouTube, Essential RC put it up a while ago. Looks really good.

Thread: Petrol engine cutting out on take-off
24/05/2019 16:59:43

I’m not a fan of the nose up test, but in this case it could eliminate some possible problems. I would suggest only holding the model at 45 degrees, not vertical, and see what happens then. I had a similar issue with one of my engines which, on closer inspection, was a small split on the fuel feed, when level it was fine but as soon as the nose was raised air got in and the engine cut. New fuel line cured the problem.

Thread: Trouble contacting Laser engines
21/05/2019 11:10:48

Like Cuban, been there with mother in law over the last year or so, time with mum is so much more important than work, go with it Jon, my thoughts are with you matey.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Revoc
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us