By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Dunne

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Dunne has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
09/08/2019 13:12:15

Thanks Bert and Jon!

Sadly I have (yet again!) family comitments over the bank holiday, so no nats for me once again.

I am happy to pay for post and packing for the manual and for the plans, please PM me if that is acceptable.

Points carefully noted Jon - any more are extremely welcome at this preparation stage smiley.

09/08/2019 11:58:37

After a couple of weeks poring over the plans and manual from my new SLEC (updated Precedent) 1/4 scale Stampe kit, I think that I understand it, and have identified various areas that will need modification for the Laser 180 that is itching to get into it...

I do feel, however, having seen scraps of the original plan and manual in screenshots on various forums, that the newer re-drawn SLEC plans and short manual are not as helpful as the originals.

Does anyone have an old Precedent kit manual, and possibly remains of a worked-on plan, that they no longer need and might agree to sell / copy / loan to me?

Many thanks
Steve.

Thread: Silicon fuel tube rotting?
08/08/2019 09:07:51

Hi Bruce,

All my current silicone tubing came from the LMS...

I'm not worried yet, as only the filler bottles are affected. I will probably buy some un-pigmented stock from elsewhere, when I am more sure about what is happening.

I understand that Tygon stiffens over time when immersed in glow fuel with nitro added.

Thanks anyway!

Steve.

07/08/2019 11:08:25

That's a novel idea!
I hope so - most of my tanks are well out of the sun!wink.

I haven't heard of that before - is it a reasonable idea?
Note that the same silicone tubing out of the top of the container (in the sunshine) appears not to be affected, it is just the bit inside the bottle above the fuel surface.

embarrassed

07/08/2019 09:21:47

I agree "should be" Don, but with nearly 20 large warbirds and other complex aircraft, it becomes a major operation. Many of them need the engine removing to get the tank out, so not a quick/simple task.
On the odd ones that I have investigated or serviced in recent years, I have not seen any deterioration.

The latest rotted silicone tubing was in the bottle only 4 months...
I note that the rotting is only in the part of the tubing above the fuel surface - the submerged part was fine?!?

Still confused but thanks for the comments. frown.

Steve.

06/08/2019 14:54:04

Thanks for the comments.

I think I will have to try to find some of the older, non-coloured tubing and try that.

I just hope that the same problem does not happen inside the fuel tanks...surprise.

Steve.

04/08/2019 10:17:33

A few days ago I posted elsewhere that I was having problems with fuel tubing rotting in the half-gallon fuel bottles in my flight box.

I have now had the fourth occasion in the past 2 or 3 years of the silicon tubing in my fuel bottles going cloudy and stiff, then wrinkling, then breaking off inside the bottle.

The fuel is Propower 16%, decanted from gallon bottles into the 1/2 gallon bottles I keep in the flight box. I've used this fuel for donkey's years.

The fuel tubing is standard 3mm bore from the LMS, and worryingly the same tubing that I use inside the fuel tanks...
The tubing is all the coloured type, not used clear for some years.

The damage appears to be in the tubing above the fuel level - i.e. in free air above the fuel.

It hasn't happened (yet) to my Laser 5%.

Any bright ideas?

Steve.

Most recent:

2019-08-04 10.02.19.jpg

Last time:

2019-07-29 20.30.14.jpg

.and...

2019-07-29 20.29.54.jpg

Thread: Old Fuel
29/07/2019 20:41:14

As a slight aside to this topic, I have just had the third occasion in the past 2 or 3 years of the silicon tubing in my fuel bottle going cloudy and stiff, then wrinkling, then breaking off inside the bottle.

The fuel is Propower 16%, decanted from gallon bottles into the 1/2 gallon bottle I keep in the flight box. I've used this fuel for donkey's years.

The fuel tubing is standard 3mm bore from the LMS, and worryingly the same tubing that I use inside the fuel tanks...

The damage appears to be in the tubing above the fuel level - i.e. in free air above the fuel.

It hasn't happened (yet) to my Laser 5%.

Any bright ideas?

Steve.

2019-07-29 20.29.54.jpg

2019-07-29 20.30.14.jpg

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
28/07/2019 16:49:56

That looks effective, Gordon. Is it based on full-size?

28/07/2019 09:59:05

Has anyone any good suggestions how to fix the "skewers" (don't know the correct term) that sit in the crossover between the flying wires and landing wires, to stop vibration?

I used rubber bands on my old 1/5th Svenson Stampe, but would prefer something better on my upcoming Precedent. I have perused scores of photographs of full-size but can't work out how they are fixed.

Steve.

Thread: Understanding the numbers....
07/07/2019 18:48:06

As I mentioned earlier, I do not use Oranges so I can't comment on their use. The numbers do seem questionable, and I would not try to understand them unless and until someone with real knowledge can enlighten us.

Steve.

05/07/2019 16:23:34

I use Spektrum receivers for all IC aircraft, and Lemons for electric and gliders. I have no knowledge of Orange receivers, so cannot comment. If they have similar systems, then fades are not too much of a worry unless they are in consecutive sets of 45 or more.
If the data is collected on a Spektrum transmitter, then TLMviewer (google it!) can be used to analyse the telemetry on a PC.

Steve.

05/07/2019 15:11:30

For Spektrum (with thanks to Andy Kunz, Spektrum TX designer):

A FADE is a single-receiver thing. It is when a single receiver misses a single packet of data. There are 90 to 180 packets of data sent per second, depending on Rx type.

A FRAME LOSS is when all receivers in a system simultaneously miss a packet.

Different receivers may have no remote receivers, one, two or three remote receivers. "A" is always the main receiver, "B", "L" and "R" are for remote receivers.

Each receiver may have one or two aerials depending on type.

When a remote receiver misses a packet, it registers as a FADE on the "B", "R", or "L" channel. When the internal (main) receiver misses a packet, it shows up on the "A" channel. When the currently active receiver circuit misses a packet, the others are accessed to get that same packet.

If both the remotes and the internal all miss the same packet at the same time, that is a FRAME LOSS and is recorded as both an increment of the "F" as well as "A" and the "B" (or whatever) channel.
For a receiver without remotes, a fade is automatically a frame loss.

If there are 45 consecutive frame losses, then that is recorded as a HOLD. That is still only a fraction of a second, and unless there are consecutive holds you probably won't even notice it.
Occasionally you may experience an unexpected throttle dip - it is probably a hold or two causing a failsafe operation, immediately returned to normal operation as the frame losses end. I have deliberately demonstrated this during airborne testing in the last couple of years chasing an elusive radio problem. It is usually caused by aerials being momentarily shadowed by batteries, carbon, metalwork etc., as the aircraft changes orientation in respect to the transmitter aerial.

Note that this is only noticed on Spektrum systems, because only Spektrum bother to show you exactly what is happening to the signal reception in flight. (As far as I currently know - other manufacturers may have caught up without bothering to let me know...).
I believe that other manufacturers systems work in very similar ways, but they don't worry you by telling you what is happening...

Unless you are getting holds, don't worry about the numbers. You can, when you realise what they represent, use them to optimise receiver and aerial location, but it would only be making the very good system even better.

Hundreds of fades per flight - no problem.

Dozens of frame losses per flight - no problem.

A single hold in a flight - investigate immediately and correct the problem.

Steve

Thread: Chicken hoppers and fuel head issues
05/06/2019 18:54:51
Posted by Martin Harris on 05/06/2019 17:53:37:

I assume you leave the spill and drain line open for flight and seal the fill and drain, Steve?

Yes, fill and drain need to be sealed to allow the flow to work, and the spill and drain acts as a release.

Put a T-valve in the carb line, so that when draining, after the main tank has been emptied, the T-valve can be opened to drain the lower tank.

Let me know how you get on!

Steve.

04/06/2019 20:40:02

Here is a sketch of my chicken hopper tank system, as shown in the Laser Tech thread.

The initial problems in draining the bottom tank were overcome by fitting a T-valve in the carb line.

It now flies very well in the Spitfire, fully (scale) aerobatic.

chicken hopper.jpg

Please note: When filling the tank you must ensure that the top tank is completely full so that it starts feeding the bottom tank. Stop filling when the bottom tank starts spilling.

To empty the system, first drain the top tank, then invert the aircraft and drain the bottom tank.

The air release tube fitting is a fuel bottle fitting.

When building the system, ensure that the bottom tank spill tube end is above the bottom of the air release tube, so that the fuel level does not reach the spill tube before the air release tube is blocked by the rising fuel surface..

How does it work?

When the fuel level in the small tank falls, it allows air up the release line, which then allows fuel to come down the fill line into the small tank. When the fuel level in the small tank rises to block off the release line, a partial vacuum forms in the top tank, stopping the fuel feeding out and down the fill line.

Even the chickens can work it!

So far the system has worked very well for me, in a H9 81" Spitfire.

Steve.

Thread: Spring is here. Who is flying?
02/05/2019 11:46:58

Terry's Rockets...
(UKCAA aerobatics)

<<These look great. Are they all 15cc four strokes or something bigger? >>

There is a Saito FA-100, an ASP 91FS, and my OS-fs 95V.

They all have plentiful power, typical props 14x6/7/8. Retracts were considered and rejected, and believe me they dont need flaps.

Steve.

29/04/2019 19:45:19

Another Rocket maiden today - Nigel's - that's three Rockets in the air now, with another four in the build.
Pictured Nigel's, Terry's (centre) and mine. All four strokes, flying at Greenmires.

2019-04-29 15.35.56.jpg

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
29/04/2019 19:40:21

Another Rocket maiden today - Nigel's - that's three Rockets in the air now, with another four in the build.
Pictured Nigel's, Terry's (centre) and mine. All four strokes, flying at Greenmires.

2019-04-29 15.35.56.jpg

Thread: Spring is here. Who is flying?
20/04/2019 21:18:58

A fine sunny day at last - and the pits are crowded! 15 or 16 members flying today...2019-04-20 11.50.40.jpg

Thread: C of G Help
19/04/2019 20:41:37

Alan - that's for the Addiction, not the Addiction X.

The manual states 132mm, I fly happily at 136mm.

Enjoy it - it's a lovely aeroplane.

Steve

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us