By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Dunne

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Dunne has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chicken hoppers and fuel head issues
05/06/2019 18:54:51
Posted by Martin Harris on 05/06/2019 17:53:37:

I assume you leave the spill and drain line open for flight and seal the fill and drain, Steve?

Yes, fill and drain need to be sealed to allow the flow to work, and the spill and drain acts as a release.

Put a T-valve in the carb line, so that when draining, after the main tank has been emptied, the T-valve can be opened to drain the lower tank.

Let me know how you get on!

Steve.

04/06/2019 20:40:02

Here is a sketch of my chicken hopper tank system, as shown in the Laser Tech thread.

The initial problems in draining the bottom tank were overcome by fitting a T-valve in the carb line.

It now flies very well in the Spitfire, fully (scale) aerobatic.

chicken hopper.jpg

Please note: When filling the tank you must ensure that the top tank is completely full so that it starts feeding the bottom tank. Stop filling when the bottom tank starts spilling.

To empty the system, first drain the top tank, then invert the aircraft and drain the bottom tank.

The air release tube fitting is a fuel bottle fitting.

When building the system, ensure that the bottom tank spill tube end is above the bottom of the air release tube, so that the fuel level does not reach the spill tube before the air release tube is blocked by the rising fuel surface..

How does it work?

When the fuel level in the small tank falls, it allows air up the release line, which then allows fuel to come down the fill line into the small tank. When the fuel level in the small tank rises to block off the release line, a partial vacuum forms in the top tank, stopping the fuel feeding out and down the fill line.

Even the chickens can work it!

So far the system has worked very well for me, in a H9 81" Spitfire.

Steve.

Thread: Spring is here. Who is flying?
02/05/2019 11:46:58

Terry's Rockets...
(UKCAA aerobatics)

<<These look great. Are they all 15cc four strokes or something bigger? >>

There is a Saito FA-100, an ASP 91FS, and my OS-fs 95V.

They all have plentiful power, typical props 14x6/7/8. Retracts were considered and rejected, and believe me they dont need flaps.

Steve.

29/04/2019 19:45:19

Another Rocket maiden today - Nigel's - that's three Rockets in the air now, with another four in the build.
Pictured Nigel's, Terry's (centre) and mine. All four strokes, flying at Greenmires.

2019-04-29 15.35.56.jpg

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
29/04/2019 19:40:21

Another Rocket maiden today - Nigel's - that's three Rockets in the air now, with another four in the build.
Pictured Nigel's, Terry's (centre) and mine. All four strokes, flying at Greenmires.

2019-04-29 15.35.56.jpg

Thread: Spring is here. Who is flying?
20/04/2019 21:18:58

A fine sunny day at last - and the pits are crowded! 15 or 16 members flying today...2019-04-20 11.50.40.jpg

Thread: C of G Help
19/04/2019 20:41:37

Alan - that's for the Addiction, not the Addiction X.

The manual states 132mm, I fly happily at 136mm.

Enjoy it - it's a lovely aeroplane.

Steve

Thread: Arduino project - Servo Exerciser - RCM&E Dec 2018
09/03/2019 20:07:30

Scope now fixed (bad probe connection).

The Arduino signal output is fixed at 4.0 volts - a very clean square wave.

All my other testers give a 5V square wave, or ~4.8V if powered by a 4-cell NiMH battery.

These are High Voltage servos after all, and it appears that 4.0V signal is below the threshold even though the power pins are seeing 5V+.

Problem solved and all happy! Now for the next...

Steve.

09/03/2019 16:44:17

Hi Chris, thanks for the suggestions.

I am using the Arduino Nano, which is a 5 volt device, and the servos have non-extended, thick, twisted connecting cable. I think it must be something to do with the signal shape - I'll try to refix my oscilloscope tomorrow and look at the outputs in comparison to a commercial tester.

Steve.

09/03/2019 15:56:50

Well, I built the servo tester so I've been testing servos...disgust

Very surprised by the results - a mixture of digital and analogue, cheap and expensive, used and new.
I fitted a Turnigy wattmeter in line with the 2-cell lipo to monitor the current in use as the servos were cycling.

They showed 150mA to 320mA when running the cycle at full speed, with peaks showing 500mA to 800mA.
This was at no-load, just sat on the bench. I shudder to think what happens under flight loadings!

Having said that, I monitor the re-fill of my LiFe batteries during each after-flying-day session, and generally show only 60-80mAH per flight (8-10 minutes in the air) so only averaging 500milliAmps across 5 or 6 servos in flight. Just shows how gently I fly!wink
I must put the wattmeter in a plane sometime, when I am planning some serious stick-stirring flights...

Also - when I attached (four, separately) Hitec HS5685MH (High Voltage) servos, there was no response whatsoever. They just sat there undisturbed.
Has anyone any suggestions why?
They work perfectly when attached to various commercial servo testers in my box.
All my other servos, Hitec, Futaba, Spektrum, and various lesser-known names, all worked fine.

Puzzled!

Steve.

Edited By Steve Dunne on 09/03/2019 15:58:27

04/03/2019 19:55:30

Just to prove it works...wink

Now I'll have to think of some more things that I can do to servos!

04/03/2019 17:05:14

OK, You got me interested!
I've been half-interested in the Arduino before, but never got round to it, so this article decided me to have a go. I bought an Arduino Uno hobby kit, and played around for a bit.
I then put together a servo cycler on the breadboard, and once I sorted it out, made a hard version using an Arduino Nano (raw - without pins), a regulated 5V supply (7805) to supply power, and a power distribution pin-board. Two sets of outputs rotate 180 ~ 0 ~180, the other set do 180 ~ 90 ~ 0 ~ 90 ~ 180 This allows centres to be checked).
There is a pot to control the speed of the cycle, so that I can tune each servo to maximise the workload. It will take several servos at once, but the regulatior is only 1.5 Amps, so only two or three at once so far. I was surprised how much current even small servos draw in the cycler!

Great fun, and I'm sure the precursor to many more projects...

Steve.

servocycler1.jpg

Edited By Steve Dunne on 04/03/2019 17:06:25

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
27/02/2019 18:35:13

Terry's Rocket (Mine, really, but Terry Anderson's 1986 design) has now flown!

Excellent flying characteristics, should be ok for classic aerobatic comps.
The original Webra 61/tuned pipe has been replaced by an OSfs95V, pulls it vertically till I get worried!surprise

There are several others in the pipeline from clubmates...smiley

steve rocket-1.jpg

steve rocket-1-4.jpg

steve rocket-1-6.jpg

steve rocket-1-9.jpg

steve rocket-1-10.jpg

Steve.

Thread: Problem uploading photographs
27/02/2019 18:28:13

Thanks, Kim - that worked!

2 at a time OK, more not.

27/02/2019 18:10:07

Hi Experts!

I have been trying to upload photos to an existing album. Each time I can select the 5 photos, but when I hit Upload, I get:

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

Any suggestions please? Uploading from a Win-7 laptop, have uploaded several times before without issues.

Steve.

Thread: Favourite Non Scale Sport Bipe?
08/02/2019 09:40:12

Mine is definitely my Aeromaster, built in 1981 and still flying...

1.jpg

a13.jpga14.jpg

Thread: Film covering to repair "alumium" Mustang wing
07/02/2019 10:02:03

I still have half a jar of Balsaloc, but I only use it for edges and small repairs - not happy with larger sheeted areas.

Oracover on the way!

06/02/2019 18:05:19

Hi Roo - the wing has open structure... but thanks anyway

Simon - thanks for the offer, but that is a gloss finish, and not currently available in the UK or EU warehouses.

Geoff - good thought on the grey,

As a first try, I have ordered the Oracover Silver - supposedly satin finish - we'll see what it is like as a match, then report back here. Only needs a small roll for about three square feet of patches.

Steve.

06/02/2019 16:26:21

Thanks, Jon. You may be right...dont know

06/02/2019 15:33:58

Thanks for all the suggestions - I have looked at all these over recent days.

I was hoping to attract the attention of someone who has actually tried it...

Steve.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Revoc
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us