By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoff Parkes

Here is a list of all the postings Geoff Parkes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Solar film sales
26/11/2019 09:43:51

I assumed that it was common knowledge that Solar film products were still available on the inter net, I purchased 3 rolls of Solar trim last week, very reasonably priced, arrived in a couple of days ,wrapped in a substantial tube package. I have just checked their site "solarfilm sales" and all their products are listed with prices etc. ready to order, so, if you want any of the good old covering we have used for years get ordering.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
19/11/2019 10:23:50

I have just took the test, only to check what all the fuss is about, must admit i was one of the "why should we bother with extra legislation etc etc, but when you think what it could have been only a few months ago, i think just filling in 20 basic questions whose answers are given if you read the accompaning guide is a small price to pay( assuming you dont mind the £9 pound charge) you get both your user and owner nos.all done in about 10 mins,Well done the BMFA.

Thread: Hobby king delivery charges
14/11/2019 12:15:12

Latest update on the H.K. postage charges from yesterday, today i removed the lipo. from the order (5 amp, 6s ) and the postage charge came down to 5.20 thats on an order of some £40 pounds odd. So the delivery on the lipo. would be approx. £12 pounds odd. Looks like just putting warning stickers on the box advising not to forward the parcel if the box is damaged is not good enough.

13/11/2019 10:59:54

Not certain if its common knowlege but H.K.have doubled their min. charge for free delivery, I tried to order goods to the value of £92.54 this morning all from the U.K depot, on going to the delivery page they wanted to add an additional £19.72 for delivery. On going on to their live chat site assuming this was a mistake , i was informed that the min. value of the order for free delivery is now $100 dollars and if the order includes lipo batteries if they are over 60 watt/hours they will incure an additional charge, if you have to add 20% on the the price of items to cover delivery I dont think I will be ordering anything from them in the near future.

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat
30/10/2019 09:00:11

David, we flew the plane yesterday in approx.20 mph plus winds, so there was an appreciable speed difference going into wind and with the wind behind the plane, at a guess it was 50% faster with the wind behind the plane, this being so there was more wind pressure on the ailerons - the aileron servos are only small because they project from the underside of the fuselage and they dont develop much power, we think on the downwind leg the excess speed was overpowering the servos, upwind and reduced speed on the downwind leg caused no problems, I installed a larger servo on the elevator and did not have any problems, as an afterthought it was way to windy for a test flight, but we all know what temptation can make us do ! I forgot to mention that I have made a removable hatch on the top of the fus.it goes from just in front of the canopy to just behind the canopy, it makes fitting and changing the battery much easier and gives access to the radio, speed controller etc. any one want photos send me your mobile no. and i will send.

29/10/2019 16:34:17

just back from the field , maidened my JP- well Boby Bloor did actually, superb flyer , we all thought that it might be marginal on the 3 s FMS fan, also it ended up being 2 ozs overweight, balance as the plan, today was windy, but the little plane coped amazingly well, only comment from Bob was that downwind ( and the plane was really fast ) he got the impression that the ailerons were blowing back - not surprising looking at the speed and ammount of sky the little plane was eating up, after 5 mins flight the battery had 27% left, all in all a good maiden, well done Tony.

Thread: TN Concorde
05/10/2019 09:36:08

I also went through the cost exorcise when i built Tonys. Vulcan a few years ago , it was a free plan so that was a start. I cut all the parts from my stock of balsa/ ply, did away with the retracts ( its launched off a bungy ) I purchased the fans /speedos from China, from memory it cost a total of about £200 pounds, servos and batteries were from my EDF stock, the 2 batteries sit in the retract bays, and the receiver etc. sit in the nose wheel bay, all electronics are hidden under the large removable belly pan. It is now some 4 years old. no idea of the no. of flights its had and still performs brilliantly.

Thread: Think I've been spammed!
17/07/2019 08:20:45

This is sad, I assume that the majority of users on this site are of a certain age, where we took a mans word as his bond, I have sold and purchased many items on various sites, I must have been lucky, selling ,as soon as I receive the cheque i post out the goods, buying ,I come to agree some method of payment and have so far never had a bad experience, I guess I will have to revise my method of trading, another example of wanting to go back to the good old days.

Thread: Solartex & Solarfilm - & other heat shrinks
04/07/2019 08:06:03

since solar products became unavailable i have been using the Hobby king alternative , good quality and at about £8 pounds for a 2 meter roll it cant be beat, but order when in stock as it sells out fast.

Thread: Weston Park 2019
19/06/2019 09:26:08

Only living some 15 mins. from Weston i have attended the show for more than 15 years, never been disapointed, regarding the weather the average club field is affected by the U.K.weather, we all moan about mud, rain wind etc but we done our boots, wellys and bad weather clothing and turn out to enjoy our hobby ( for how much longer is another story ) after the shock of the £14 pound entry fee i was amazed to see what a large turn out on such an iffy day weather wise. I went on Sat. only one big shower about 1.00,just as i got back to my car for lunch, My visit to SLEC to stock up with wood was my first visit, you cant beat their show prices for balsa and they have an endless quantity to select from. i think the trade was about the usual size for this show, not certain about prices as i only buy wood from shows now. Good old Dave. Bishop was co-handling the mike for the comentary , i thought he had retired ? when the Lancaster did a no show on Sat. afternoon he filled in the time as only he could, but it was a nice surprise when a griffon ?engined Spitfire turned up and did an impressive display, yes i agree that Jase "the ace"Desuza was very good but the young Israili pilot stole the show for me , maybe because we had seen Jase. before we knew what to expect, but nor seeing the israili lad was all new. all in all i enjoyed the show and will be looking forward to next year.

Thread: Vintage airframe coverings.
10/05/2019 08:54:54

I cover a lot of my models using tissue and dope ,the tissue is obtained from Ben Buckle models the sheet size is 18" wide by 6.0 metres long for an amazing price of £7.50 per sheet , its called wet strength medium weight .On scale models on the sheeted surfaces a coat of sanding sealer then tissue applied with non shrinking dope, then coats of dope ,sanding and re-doping produces a very strong and smooth surface for painting. For painting I go to a local car refinishing supplier who mix any colour that I want in a polyester finish, matt , semi or glass paint for about £10 pounds for a quarter litre , which is enough to finish a say 70 inch model, you need a compressor and gun but these are available at reasonable cost and once you have them they can be used over and over again

Thread: RC Castle
30/04/2019 08:42:06

I have used them many times for spares for Freewing planes , and EDF fans their prices are the best and he" adjusts" the customs declaration to keep import costs to a minimum . Standard delivery costs for items usually take about 2 weeks to arrive, if you can specify Singapore airlines at an additional cost should get your bits in about a week.The service is fantastic he keeps you advised by E mail usually by return.There was a video of his unit on U tube not long ago you would not believe what he has stocked in something that looks as big as a garage.

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat
16/04/2019 09:00:55

Tony, so glad that you are feeling well enough to start designing new planes for us to build, when will the Phantom and the jet provost be available , will they be free plans or available direct from you? I think the responce for any of these small jets would be fantastic. I have just finished a small all balsa Skyray which is awaiting its maiden, I used the FMS 50 mm fan but to get it to fit I had to leave the bell mouth off the front of the fan, but the thrust will still send the jet across my bench, it pulls around 23 amps and gives about 230 watts on a used old 3 s battery so I think the performance is as published, also I can only fit a 1300 3 s battery so duration will be a problem, I purchased the fan unit from bangood in China they are selling them for around £20 pounds at the moment post free plus a couple of dollars extra for priority air mail which gets to you in about a week, again Tony. glad to see you back the hobby needs you.

Thread: Please answer the following two questions if you can.
13/04/2019 09:39:40

I agree probably if you are like me I pick a model to build but as I am building this project I am thinking/ looking at the next project, if for some reason you hit a snag on the current project that needs the all important thinking time, my mind starts to drift onto the unstarted project, the result of all this is it takes some time to resurect the enthusiasm to get back into the build of the first one, I find that if you can work on the first project for say a couple of days the enthusiasm soon returns.

Thread: Prostate Cancer
13/04/2019 09:26:03

I agree with all comments regarding getting check ups as often as possible , my prostate problems started about 10 years ago, during a visit to my G.P. he asked me how many times I had to go to the toilet during the night , I told him maybe 2-3 times he gave me a rectal exam there and then, the result was an enlarged prostate, a P.S.A. test confirmed a reading of approx.5 if I remember correctly, in those days in the West Mids. area a multy sample biopsy was done and then an M.R.I done after the biopsy, a flow test was also taken the result of all this was I was prescribed Tamsulosin once a day and my P.S.A was checked every 6 then 12 months. about 4 years ago my P.S.A. started to drift up- got to 8 at one stage , this resulted to referal to the urology clinic again, but this time a M.R.I. was taken before the biopsy, I think this gives them some idea where to take the samples? the result of this was I was prescribed with 1 tablet of finasteride to try and control the prostate, I still have to have P.S.A. tests every year but at the moment the readings are between 4-5 . My doctor told me that nearly every man dies with some sort of prostate problem but not many die as a course of it. I am now 74 still have to get up in the night , but if going for tests , biopsies and taking an incresing number of prescribed medicens keeps me fit enough to enjoy building and flying toy planes I think its a small price to pay.

Thread: HobbyKing Why did I order from HobbyKing?????
26/02/2019 08:51:58

I can only second what the majority of the above are saying, been using H.K. for years, in the past they have had a reputation of being awkward when returning goods, but I think they have listened to the customers and are more tolerant on "faulty " goods being returned,In all my dealings with H.K. I have only had one problem , it was a faulty speedo I returned it to the U.K. branch and had it replaced in less than 7 days.Regarding speed of service usually within 48 hours for U.K. branch and say 72 hours for the E.U. branch, if ordered from the international branch if via Singapore airlines it will take about 14 days, but be prepared for stiff additional charges for inport duty, VAT and a charge from the good old post office for the delivery.

Thread: Canopy/Hatch magnets
21/02/2019 08:51:07

I buy mine from Hobby king, they sell round or square various sizes as cheap as chips, never had one fail, as mentioned above use them in pairs, with a dowel or tongue locating the front, most ARTF,s have the tongue fixing as standard, I also epoxy the magnets in because if used in pairs they can take some pulling apart.

Thread: Lipo advice
21/02/2019 08:43:15

I cant see that anyone has expressed the importance of keeping an eye on lipo packs when charging, i would not use a charger that cannot be specifically programmed for input into the lipo ,and I would never use a charger that cannot be adjusted, most of the good chargers do a battery check prior to starting the charge cycle and let you know if there is a problem.

Thread: Best electric motor brand?
20/02/2019 09:23:58

if you are looking at price only ,look at what bangood sell, i have recently purchased a small electric motor to power a foamy eagle, bangood stocked the motor which was the listed item in the "planes " instructions, order placed, some 4 weeks later i received the motor, accessory kit all in a posh looking box for the princely sum of £2.99 plus 8 p. insurance, post free, not tested the motor but first impressions are well built and smooth running, its a racerstar brand.

Thread: moonglow V1build
12/02/2019 17:18:09

Thanks to everyone for the help, as I spent 2 hours getting the screws out of the firewall that hold the nose wheel on yesterday afternoon, I think i will go as my first idea of converting to a tail drager, might take out the forward angle of the main legs, lets hope it does not induce a nose over attitude on take off, will advise , i think 6s on my set up will be to much, but a Watt meter will confirm, will advise once I can stop the prop. hitting the ground !

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us