By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoff Parkes

Here is a list of all the postings Geoff Parkes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Think I've been spammed!
17/07/2019 08:20:45

This is sad, I assume that the majority of users on this site are of a certain age, where we took a mans word as his bond, I have sold and purchased many items on various sites, I must have been lucky, selling ,as soon as I receive the cheque i post out the goods, buying ,I come to agree some method of payment and have so far never had a bad experience, I guess I will have to revise my method of trading, another example of wanting to go back to the good old days.

Thread: Solartex & Solarfilm - & other heat shrinks
04/07/2019 08:06:03

since solar products became unavailable i have been using the Hobby king alternative , good quality and at about £8 pounds for a 2 meter roll it cant be beat, but order when in stock as it sells out fast.

Thread: Weston Park 2019
19/06/2019 09:26:08

Only living some 15 mins. from Weston i have attended the show for more than 15 years, never been disapointed, regarding the weather the average club field is affected by the U.K.weather, we all moan about mud, rain wind etc but we done our boots, wellys and bad weather clothing and turn out to enjoy our hobby ( for how much longer is another story ) after the shock of the £14 pound entry fee i was amazed to see what a large turn out on such an iffy day weather wise. I went on Sat. only one big shower about 1.00,just as i got back to my car for lunch, My visit to SLEC to stock up with wood was my first visit, you cant beat their show prices for balsa and they have an endless quantity to select from. i think the trade was about the usual size for this show, not certain about prices as i only buy wood from shows now. Good old Dave. Bishop was co-handling the mike for the comentary , i thought he had retired ? when the Lancaster did a no show on Sat. afternoon he filled in the time as only he could, but it was a nice surprise when a griffon ?engined Spitfire turned up and did an impressive display, yes i agree that Jase "the ace"Desuza was very good but the young Israili pilot stole the show for me , maybe because we had seen Jase. before we knew what to expect, but nor seeing the israili lad was all new. all in all i enjoyed the show and will be looking forward to next year.

Thread: Vintage airframe coverings.
10/05/2019 08:54:54

I cover a lot of my models using tissue and dope ,the tissue is obtained from Ben Buckle models the sheet size is 18" wide by 6.0 metres long for an amazing price of £7.50 per sheet , its called wet strength medium weight .On scale models on the sheeted surfaces a coat of sanding sealer then tissue applied with non shrinking dope, then coats of dope ,sanding and re-doping produces a very strong and smooth surface for painting. For painting I go to a local car refinishing supplier who mix any colour that I want in a polyester finish, matt , semi or glass paint for about £10 pounds for a quarter litre , which is enough to finish a say 70 inch model, you need a compressor and gun but these are available at reasonable cost and once you have them they can be used over and over again

Thread: RC Castle
30/04/2019 08:42:06

I have used them many times for spares for Freewing planes , and EDF fans their prices are the best and he" adjusts" the customs declaration to keep import costs to a minimum . Standard delivery costs for items usually take about 2 weeks to arrive, if you can specify Singapore airlines at an additional cost should get your bits in about a week.The service is fantastic he keeps you advised by E mail usually by return.There was a video of his unit on U tube not long ago you would not believe what he has stocked in something that looks as big as a garage.

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat
16/04/2019 09:00:55

Tony, so glad that you are feeling well enough to start designing new planes for us to build, when will the Phantom and the jet provost be available , will they be free plans or available direct from you? I think the responce for any of these small jets would be fantastic. I have just finished a small all balsa Skyray which is awaiting its maiden, I used the FMS 50 mm fan but to get it to fit I had to leave the bell mouth off the front of the fan, but the thrust will still send the jet across my bench, it pulls around 23 amps and gives about 230 watts on a used old 3 s battery so I think the performance is as published, also I can only fit a 1300 3 s battery so duration will be a problem, I purchased the fan unit from bangood in China they are selling them for around £20 pounds at the moment post free plus a couple of dollars extra for priority air mail which gets to you in about a week, again Tony. glad to see you back the hobby needs you.

Thread: Please answer the following two questions if you can.
13/04/2019 09:39:40

I agree probably if you are like me I pick a model to build but as I am building this project I am thinking/ looking at the next project, if for some reason you hit a snag on the current project that needs the all important thinking time, my mind starts to drift onto the unstarted project, the result of all this is it takes some time to resurect the enthusiasm to get back into the build of the first one, I find that if you can work on the first project for say a couple of days the enthusiasm soon returns.

Thread: Prostate Cancer
13/04/2019 09:26:03

I agree with all comments regarding getting check ups as often as possible , my prostate problems started about 10 years ago, during a visit to my G.P. he asked me how many times I had to go to the toilet during the night , I told him maybe 2-3 times he gave me a rectal exam there and then, the result was an enlarged prostate, a P.S.A. test confirmed a reading of approx.5 if I remember correctly, in those days in the West Mids. area a multy sample biopsy was done and then an M.R.I done after the biopsy, a flow test was also taken the result of all this was I was prescribed Tamsulosin once a day and my P.S.A was checked every 6 then 12 months. about 4 years ago my P.S.A. started to drift up- got to 8 at one stage , this resulted to referal to the urology clinic again, but this time a M.R.I. was taken before the biopsy, I think this gives them some idea where to take the samples? the result of this was I was prescribed with 1 tablet of finasteride to try and control the prostate, I still have to have P.S.A. tests every year but at the moment the readings are between 4-5 . My doctor told me that nearly every man dies with some sort of prostate problem but not many die as a course of it. I am now 74 still have to get up in the night , but if going for tests , biopsies and taking an incresing number of prescribed medicens keeps me fit enough to enjoy building and flying toy planes I think its a small price to pay.

Thread: HobbyKing Why did I order from HobbyKing?????
26/02/2019 08:51:58

I can only second what the majority of the above are saying, been using H.K. for years, in the past they have had a reputation of being awkward when returning goods, but I think they have listened to the customers and are more tolerant on "faulty " goods being returned,In all my dealings with H.K. I have only had one problem , it was a faulty speedo I returned it to the U.K. branch and had it replaced in less than 7 days.Regarding speed of service usually within 48 hours for U.K. branch and say 72 hours for the E.U. branch, if ordered from the international branch if via Singapore airlines it will take about 14 days, but be prepared for stiff additional charges for inport duty, VAT and a charge from the good old post office for the delivery.

Thread: Canopy/Hatch magnets
21/02/2019 08:51:07

I buy mine from Hobby king, they sell round or square various sizes as cheap as chips, never had one fail, as mentioned above use them in pairs, with a dowel or tongue locating the front, most ARTF,s have the tongue fixing as standard, I also epoxy the magnets in because if used in pairs they can take some pulling apart.

Thread: Lipo advice
21/02/2019 08:43:15

I cant see that anyone has expressed the importance of keeping an eye on lipo packs when charging, i would not use a charger that cannot be specifically programmed for input into the lipo ,and I would never use a charger that cannot be adjusted, most of the good chargers do a battery check prior to starting the charge cycle and let you know if there is a problem.

Thread: Best electric motor brand?
20/02/2019 09:23:58

if you are looking at price only ,look at what bangood sell, i have recently purchased a small electric motor to power a foamy eagle, bangood stocked the motor which was the listed item in the "planes " instructions, order placed, some 4 weeks later i received the motor, accessory kit all in a posh looking box for the princely sum of £2.99 plus 8 p. insurance, post free, not tested the motor but first impressions are well built and smooth running, its a racerstar brand.

Thread: moonglow V1build
12/02/2019 17:18:09

Thanks to everyone for the help, as I spent 2 hours getting the screws out of the firewall that hold the nose wheel on yesterday afternoon, I think i will go as my first idea of converting to a tail drager, might take out the forward angle of the main legs, lets hope it does not induce a nose over attitude on take off, will advise , i think 6s on my set up will be to much, but a Watt meter will confirm, will advise once I can stop the prop. hitting the ground !

12/02/2019 09:49:27

Is anyone else building one of these planes , it was a free plan a couple of RCME issues ago its a 60,s style aerobatic plane with trike undercart, the plan leaves several areas up to the builder to sort out, I have built it for electric power no problems there, its got a 5055 motor, 70 amp speedo,15x8 prop. I have not watt tested it yet but on 6 s it seems to have loads of power, during the build I kept checking the C/G balance, keeping the tail light, the usual things that you check when building lecy. planes.The problems started when I tried to balance the plane on its wheels for the first time, I had previously balanced the plane with a slightly nose heavy C/G but tying to get the plane to balance on its wheels was impossible the tail kept dropping to the bench (its a trike undercart) the legs are raked forward, there is no details of leg length or rake angle on the plan , the legs can only be located in one position the bearers are shown on the plan and the wing ribs are shaped accordingly, I have packed 65mm under the main wheels this gives a positive feel to the balance of the plane on the bench, but I have now so much negative angle of attack that there is no gap under the prop. I am at the moment converting it to a taildragger, but before I cut the hinges on the rudder to fit a steerable tailwheel does any one have any thoughts or suggestions as trike undercarts were a feature of 60, s aerobatic planes and it seems a pitty if I remove this feature if there is an answer out there that i am overlooking

Thread: Which was the best decade for the hobby?
07/02/2019 09:08:45

For me it has to be the 60,s I as many users of this forum are of a certain age it might just be nostalgia but things seemed to be more easy going, you had to put into the hobby to get anything out, there were no ARTF,s radio control was there but only for the well heeled, so control line and free flight were popular , you had to build from kits or plans and it was your expertese in doing this that depended on if the plane flew or not, but a few lessons learnt the hard way stop with you for a lifetime.

Thread: What paint for a Vought F4 U Corsair
02/02/2019 08:46:42

I second the idea for going to B and Q, if you take the smallest part of the plane you want the paint to match they will scan the colour and mix a small quantity of emulsion - they dont offer enamel, the cost is approx £2.00 for a tub large enough to repaint the whole plane, I find the silk finish is more resistant to scrapes than matt.I have used this service for years and find the match spot on.

Thread: What paint to tint a windscreen?
27/01/2019 09:24:30

Back in my slot car racing days (mid 60,s ) we use to buy "jelly mold " transparent car bodies , usually of the U.S,saloon cars of that era, they all looked the same , but were larger than the British saloon cars , some bright spark discovered that if you covered the inside with flourescent pen markers the rougher the better, then sprayed the inside of the body with hair spray- harmony from wolworths seemed to work the best, maybe because it was the cheapest brand, the results were a amazing psycodelic finish as the hair spray reacted with the marker . Probably highly illegal now in our health and safety world.

Thread: Modelling Board / Pin Board.
26/01/2019 08:49:08

The cheapest option is to buy a sheet of plaster board and place on the top, I use this method on top of a ply workbench as cheap chips approx. £5 for 8X4 sheet, I cant get that in my car , so I take a stanley knife and cut in half, this gives you 4 surfaces to build from.

Thread: Tony Nijhus Vulcan.
26/01/2019 08:43:41

I agree with Craig,I built the EDF version, had it a few years now, it only comes out on special occasions but it flies superbly, I bungy launch mine this ensures a perfect launch every time , its only 48 inch span but it ends up one large triangle of a model,4 cheap fans and speed controllers ,dont bother with retracts and you end up with a model with something like 15 oz. per sq. ft loading, it flies from nil wind to 30 mph wind and handles it all superbly, I wont enlarge on the envious looks , comments you get from fellow club mates when you turn up with your Vulcan to fly

Thread: Motorcycles and model flying
14/01/2019 09:44:57

No experience of motor bikes, but in the mid 50,s I used to strap a C/L combat model to my back with string, the lines were wrapped around a National Health babies dried milk tin with the fuel odd props etc inside the tin and the tin carried in a saddle bag, I used this method of getting to the field (Perton airfield or East Park in Wolverhampton) by push bike for years.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us