By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoff Parkes

Here is a list of all the postings Geoff Parkes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: moonglow V1build
12/02/2019 17:18:09

Thanks to everyone for the help, as I spent 2 hours getting the screws out of the firewall that hold the nose wheel on yesterday afternoon, I think i will go as my first idea of converting to a tail drager, might take out the forward angle of the main legs, lets hope it does not induce a nose over attitude on take off, will advise , i think 6s on my set up will be to much, but a Watt meter will confirm, will advise once I can stop the prop. hitting the ground !

12/02/2019 09:49:27

Is anyone else building one of these planes , it was a free plan a couple of RCME issues ago its a 60,s style aerobatic plane with trike undercart, the plan leaves several areas up to the builder to sort out, I have built it for electric power no problems there, its got a 5055 motor, 70 amp speedo,15x8 prop. I have not watt tested it yet but on 6 s it seems to have loads of power, during the build I kept checking the C/G balance, keeping the tail light, the usual things that you check when building lecy. planes.The problems started when I tried to balance the plane on its wheels for the first time, I had previously balanced the plane with a slightly nose heavy C/G but tying to get the plane to balance on its wheels was impossible the tail kept dropping to the bench (its a trike undercart) the legs are raked forward, there is no details of leg length or rake angle on the plan , the legs can only be located in one position the bearers are shown on the plan and the wing ribs are shaped accordingly, I have packed 65mm under the main wheels this gives a positive feel to the balance of the plane on the bench, but I have now so much negative angle of attack that there is no gap under the prop. I am at the moment converting it to a taildragger, but before I cut the hinges on the rudder to fit a steerable tailwheel does any one have any thoughts or suggestions as trike undercarts were a feature of 60, s aerobatic planes and it seems a pitty if I remove this feature if there is an answer out there that i am overlooking

Thread: Which was the best decade for the hobby?
07/02/2019 09:08:45

For me it has to be the 60,s I as many users of this forum are of a certain age it might just be nostalgia but things seemed to be more easy going, you had to put into the hobby to get anything out, there were no ARTF,s radio control was there but only for the well heeled, so control line and free flight were popular , you had to build from kits or plans and it was your expertese in doing this that depended on if the plane flew or not, but a few lessons learnt the hard way stop with you for a lifetime.

Thread: What paint for a Vought F4 U Corsair
02/02/2019 08:46:42

I second the idea for going to B and Q, if you take the smallest part of the plane you want the paint to match they will scan the colour and mix a small quantity of emulsion - they dont offer enamel, the cost is approx £2.00 for a tub large enough to repaint the whole plane, I find the silk finish is more resistant to scrapes than matt.I have used this service for years and find the match spot on.

Thread: What paint to tint a windscreen?
27/01/2019 09:24:30

Back in my slot car racing days (mid 60,s ) we use to buy "jelly mold " transparent car bodies , usually of the U.S,saloon cars of that era, they all looked the same , but were larger than the British saloon cars , some bright spark discovered that if you covered the inside with flourescent pen markers the rougher the better, then sprayed the inside of the body with hair spray- harmony from wolworths seemed to work the best, maybe because it was the cheapest brand, the results were a amazing psycodelic finish as the hair spray reacted with the marker . Probably highly illegal now in our health and safety world.

Thread: Modelling Board / Pin Board.
26/01/2019 08:49:08

The cheapest option is to buy a sheet of plaster board and place on the top, I use this method on top of a ply workbench as cheap chips approx. £5 for 8X4 sheet, I cant get that in my car , so I take a stanley knife and cut in half, this gives you 4 surfaces to build from.

Thread: Tony Nijhus Vulcan.
26/01/2019 08:43:41

I agree with Craig,I built the EDF version, had it a few years now, it only comes out on special occasions but it flies superbly, I bungy launch mine this ensures a perfect launch every time , its only 48 inch span but it ends up one large triangle of a model,4 cheap fans and speed controllers ,dont bother with retracts and you end up with a model with something like 15 oz. per sq. ft loading, it flies from nil wind to 30 mph wind and handles it all superbly, I wont enlarge on the envious looks , comments you get from fellow club mates when you turn up with your Vulcan to fly

Thread: Motorcycles and model flying
14/01/2019 09:44:57

No experience of motor bikes, but in the mid 50,s I used to strap a C/L combat model to my back with string, the lines were wrapped around a National Health babies dried milk tin with the fuel odd props etc inside the tin and the tin carried in a saddle bag, I used this method of getting to the field (Perton airfield or East Park in Wolverhampton) by push bike for years.

Thread: Which are recommended
08/01/2019 08:54:48

I try to buy all my balsa / ply from SLEC from the the shows that I go to during the year, I am a prolfic builder in the winter months ( on my third build this season ) and SLEC show prices seem to be cheaper than their mail order prices. You can select the wood or ask the helpfull staff to sort for you, my advise is to get to the tent early as the balsa sales side gets very busy. Take advantage of looking at the other side of the tent because they carry a large range of accessories.

Thread: The Ohmen
02/01/2019 09:32:18

Happy new year Peter, following on from my Peggy sue 2 build , which as i have told you before flies so well it has prompted 3 other members of my club to build one, I was tempted into building The Ohmen again very easy to build costs next to nothing in wood and lecy bits. and flyes just as good as P.S.2 I think the only negative is because its smaller than PS2 it can be affected more by wind strength,we fly off a field that is always windy and I have noticed that if I take both planes PS2 battles on regardless but the Ohmen struggles, probably because its not got the power of my PS2, but small price to pay as on good days its a pleasure to fly with many good comments from the crowd, I have just put one cockpit on mine , if I had any idea how to put pictures up I would post planes photos, regards geoff.

Thread: model recommendation
02/01/2019 09:17:52

I think my best flying war bird was a gold edition top flight P47, it was about the 60 in. version ,not certain if its still for sale as a kit, easy build all ribs have have tabs to make certain you get a straight wing with the right wash out, you even get jigs for drilling the the holes for the Robart type pin hinges, it builds into a great looking plane and there are loads of good finshes out there to use. It was my last I.C. powered plane and I sold it on, i can still see it coming in to land flying slow with flaps fully down ! I agree having built a few of T.N,s war birds I cannot see how he gets to the flying weight he publishes, but I have one of his 4 fan vulcans and the published weight is correct giving a 15 oz./ft wing loading resulting in an amazing flying plane , dont ask how the others faired.

Thread: Hobby King's Web site ????
02/01/2019 09:01:54

We have many H.K. vampires in our club, mine is about 4 years old, mad Thrust 4000kv fan with 3750 4s 65-130 battery, I put extra cheat holes in the bottom of the fus. just in front of the existing ones to help the fan to breath, balances spot on, very fast, so fast infact I painted in the target tow yellow / black bumble bee finish to help my old eyes, no retracts ever fitted, hand or bungy launch and land on its belly, only thing to check is that you have not picked any debris off the strip when landing,also with this set up its impreative you strengthen the bottom of the booms and accross the front edge of the tailplane with thin carbon fibre strips available from H.K. I say dont bother with retracts they fly better without them.

Thread: Flightline/Freewing Spare Parts
01/01/2019 11:36:11

just a follow on from my previous post, the parts ordered were delivered yesterday ( Monday) this is amazing 1 week from ordering with Christmas in the middle , thats from the other side of the world, you would be pushed to beat that if it was posted from a U.K. stockist.

28/12/2018 09:07:43

Been using R C Castle for about 3 years , i agree prices and service are the best, also he seems to help with the VAT and import duties ? ?, his prices for fan units will not be beaten, ordered some parts from him last Sunday, had an E mail on Monday to tell me that they were on their way by air mail .

Thread: Retired, Returned, Looking for a club near Telford
02/12/2018 08:42:37

I am a member of the Sherrifhales club, the club is located just off the A5 at Sherrifhales we have a large portacabin with basic cooking facilities,there is a large well maintained patch that we fly off, and there is a very active "retired" membership most Tues. or Thurs. you will find a good turn out of older members,members fly all types of model with electric being the most popular, if you want to give it a try turn up any time (we are a 7 day flying club) you will be made most welcome.

Thread: Hobby King
21/11/2018 08:49:34

I can only come to H.K, defence, I am a platinum member which gives me slightly better prices, the site does take some following, but if used enough it is easy to follow , I order on average twice a month , if you know the cut off date for your credit card you can get an additional months credit ! I have used them for batteries , motors ,speedos and small items such as screws and hinges, the covering which I have used for years is in my oppinion the best, 5 metre rolls for approx. 8 pounds, If you make the order value up to 50 dollars you will get free deliveryfrom the U.K or E.U. depots , my last order was placed on Sunday eve. and is due today (wed. ) Lastly on all my orders which probably number well into the 50 to 60,s I have only had one faulty item, which was a speed controller this was returned to the U.K depot. for them to check , a new speedo was posted back to me within a week - better service that I had from a U.K. motor supplier I could mention.

Thread: Peggy Sue 2
26/10/2018 10:43:59

Peter , its only credit where credit is due, I was one of the non believers, but seeing is believing, both of the planes being built at the moment in our club will be 40 4 stroke powered, I think that if there are any more out there being built once they appear at clubs and people see them flying I think the same will happen as has happened in our club , there will be a rash of PS2,s spring up. Regards Geoff.

26/10/2018 08:54:09

Just the latest update with PS2, went flying yesterday (Thursday, cloudy, windy and cold ) took Peggy sue with me , one of my club mates who had not seen the plane before came over ,on inspecting the plane he had several gueses at full size aircraft he was surprised to hear that it was a non scale free plan, he wandered off and I went out with PS2 to fly my usual flight ,take off to 20 feet off the ground do a roll and carry on with the circuit, after several circuits including slow rolls ,loops and my new favorite stall turn with roll on the down line my mate came over and asked if I had the plan, he wants to build one over winter, sorry to say with an I/C motor, there then followed feverish negotiations for a suitable 4 stroke motor to power the plane with. regarding the other PS2 build in the club ,it is now in the covering stage so should not be to long before comparisons can be made. So as you can see PS2 is a certain success, and you should be pleased with the outcome. I am a little surprised there seems to be little other building interest on this forum - is there anybody else out there building one, if any one is thinking about building one , dont think, start building its a winner regards Geoff.

Thread: Building, when does it become too expensive to fly
24/10/2018 09:02:56

I enjoy building as much - maybe more than flying, but you have to accept that with any model be it plan built or self designed there is a chance that a problem will occur on the first flight, but once the plane takes off and any trimming done and the plane is actually flying the sense of achievement cannot be described. Yes there are times when you think all is O.K. and something drastic happens. I had an instance of this in the summer when I maidened my plan built Zero, the design weight was 9 lbs.very optomistic in my mind as mine was 11.5 lbs.One of my mates stood by me just in case I needed any trim inputs, the Zero ran down the strip and lifted off ,I gained height took up flaps and retracts and began to enjoy the flight , no trim inputs at all needed for straight and level flight , did a few curcuits to get used to how the plane flew , being mindful that the wing loading was way above what was the design loading, but the plane flew "light " I came across the patch at 6 foot high to a ripple of applause, I must admit that it did look fantastic, I called a landing gained height dropped the wheels, and part then full flaps - no visible trim change slowed the plane down then it happened viscious tip stall from say 40 feet no way of correcting it and the plane went in hard , because of the dry weather we had in the summer the ground was like concrete, you can imagine the devastation that the crash site was, it was all packed into the black bin liners , when I got back to the pits there were the usual comments from fellow members wanting to know how I felt, I said that if you fly you have to be prepared to crash, and I had had the enjoyment of building the plane and the components can be recycled into the next project .I think this is the best method of getting over a crash of a plane that you have spent 12 months time on.

Thread: Peggy Sue 2
20/10/2018 08:29:53

Peter, thanks for the info. but as I said I have a long list of projects to sort , and I dare not add another at the moment, but will add your plan on the end for maybe starting next winter, Regards Geoff.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!