By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoff Parkes

Here is a list of all the postings Geoff Parkes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?
13/10/2017 08:58:55

I went to one of the first comprehensive schools, The Regis school in Wolverhampton, and one of the class periods covered model/handicrafts, this is mid 1950,s I took a selection of kits from the keil kraft scale range when my pocket money allowed ,purchased from the Cleveland model shop in town, the kits were cut out with razer blades and stuck together with balsa cement, cant remember what the tissue was stuck on with, probably due to my ham fisted modeling they used to run on the classroom floor but would not fly. But this planted the seed for a life of aeromodelling, I joined the Bilston model aero club and enjoyed several years of control line flying in East park, Wolverhampton, these were models with Oliver Tiger / PAW diesel motors and were uncilenced, the park has houses all round , but the only noise complaints were from the football teams who played on the same part of the park, this was when the players could not hear the refs. whistle! just imagine trying that today. I had approx. 20 years off - buying /selling houses, building kit cars ets. and one day I went past my only now surviving model shop - Penn models, and stopped for a look round and the bug bit again, the only brand names I knew was Futaba and Supre Tigre, I came out fully kitted with a High boy trainer , Futaba 6 radio and Supre Tiger 40 engine this stood me in good stead and got me past my A test, since then I have built dozens of kits /plans etc and 1 ARTF - does any one remember the Ilsan Extra ,I think this was the first good ARTF, well built, and flew really well, not certain about the wood , some of it looked like coconut matting ,hope this jogs memories of any modellers in the Wolverhampton area Geoff.

Thread: English Electric Canberra 50
30/08/2017 12:26:11

thanks for the interest on this plane, i have no idea how to attach photos, but I have several on my phone and my wifes I pad, if you want i can forward as many photos as you want, regards Geoff.

30/08/2017 09:00:35

I have just finished and flown my Canberra B8, it is from a new supplier- English Electric Jets, designed by John Simpson, the span is approx. 50 inches and it looks near scale , apart from the slightly increased nacells for the 50 mm fans, the kit comes with all main items laser cut, the best part of the model is the method of construction, all the jigs needed to complete the model are laser cut leaving you just to cyno together, but the best part is the fuselage is not only built in a jig but all formers line up on 2 carbon fibre tubes thus ensuring that it is almost impossible not to build a true frame, the centre fuselage formers run out spanwise to incorporate the nacells thus ensuring there are no incidence problems, the wing "tips" are also jig built with the washout allowed for , the tailplane is attached to the rear of the fuselage by yet another carbon rod and a jig to ensure the right dihedral for the tailplane, all this is done while the whole item is located in a central jig which is secured to your building board. the nacells are planked along with the fuselage-this seems to take forever! the prototype used Lander 10 blade 3300 kv fans , but I opted for the chain sun 10 blade 4200kv units , these are slightly more powerfull on 4 s and being plastic are lighter.The end result being the plane can be hand launched, and after a slight c of g problem has a good range of speed and looks true in the air , as you can tell I am well pleased with my new jet and would recommend it to any one interested in early British Jets.

Thread: Freewings/Ready2 Fly Venom
16/08/2017 08:42:19

I have just picked up this thread, I have had a Freewing Venom for a few years, I fly mine with a 6s 5000 lipo , it just fits , with the battery as far farward as poss. it does not need any lead, and you get a slightly longer flight,

Thread: Traplet statement
02/08/2017 09:59:36

Beth, thats the best news, lets hope they do their best to keep all plans , parts available ,I realise this is a tall order, but saving something is better than loosing eveything, I will keep looking and hoping. Regards Geoff.

Thread: What's the main radio brand you use 2017?
01/08/2017 16:03:58

I have allways used Futaba, for approx 25 years, never a problem, Sky sport 6, Field Force 8, Field Force 9 all 35 meg. I used an Hasan module and receivers in the FF9 without problems, sold it on to a clubmate some years ago and it is still in regular use without problems. I then converted to 2.4 meg Futaba FF7 and FF10 , the only problem was when Futaba dropped the FASST protocol, but I now use a mixture of Futaba , Frsky and I hate to admit Orange 2.4 receivers all without any problems, knowing me I will start to have radio problems as soon as I post this, Regards Geofff.

Thread: How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
01/08/2017 15:15:34

I have built five planes and finished one off this last 12 months , the one I finished off was a Brian Taylor Mosquito this has taken 3 years on and off to build - lets just say that B. T. plans take some understanding !

The ones I have built are.

An old timer Powerhouse

Peyret Mauboussin Type X1 Free plan

Tony Nijhous Vulcan.

Chris. Golds B.P. Defiant.

English Electric Canbera

All above are electric powered, hope this helps , Regards Geoff.

Thread: Traplet
22/07/2017 08:59:57

I have never posted on this forum before but I think what has happened over the last few days regarding Traplet plans is really bad news for our hobby, yes the average age of aeromodelers is probably mid 50,s and the average age of dedicated model builders - not ARTF or foamy planes ,but plan built projects is probably older than this, I class myself as one of these, the thrill of going through the plans lists , picking subjects to put on a list of possible projects, picking the subject that will take all winter to build, getting the bits together to turn a pile of balsa into a fair copy of the full size, and finally flying the thing, the sense of accomplishment will never be replaced , I was planning to build a Dennis Bryant Chipmunk this winter, and was planning on ordering the plans, fibre glass bits on Friday, so, I suppose I am "lucky"that it happened this week not last, i have spoke to Tony Nijhous regarding his plans and he said he stopped both Traplet and My hobby store selling his designs last year- he must have had his doubts, i thought it was funny that that Traplet were offering all round discounts on there products, but lets hope that some one or something can save them/

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!