By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MikeQ

Here is a list of all the postings MikeQ has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric newbie - ESC BEC question
19/09/2020 10:17:44

Hi

thanks for the advice ... I'll call the supplier as I've had good service so far and need other bits and bobs I hadn't thought of ... lol ... like Velcro straps and all that.

cheers

Mike

19/09/2020 09:58:41

Hi

thanks ... will look into that. Out of interest the servos are:

Aileron: 2 x QZ401 Digital Coreless HV ~ 9kg 4.8v to 6v

Rudder: 1 x MG5921 HV ~ 19kg 6v to 8.4v

Elevator: 2 x MG2810HV ~ 6kg to 10kg 5v to 8.4v

Any recommendations on the capacity of a separate 2S for powering Rx and servos in this range. Would be separate 2S be too much for the Aileron servos (4.8 to 6v)

Cheers

Mike

18/09/2020 23:03:59

Hi

thanks for getting back. I bought the servos etc based on the suppliers recommendations so will give him a bell and query that. The servos seem pretty highly specked so a reduction in performance might not be an issue. My flying style isn't extreme ... more 90s turnaround pattern type flying.

Couple more questions, I'm looking at using XT90S antispark connectors for the flight pack to ESC connection, does that sound right. Plus gold 4mm bullet connectors for the 3 motor wires. And I take it these electric models don't have on/off Rx switches per se, just disconnect the battery to kill everything? Does that sound right?

Any recommendation should on Wattmeters and are there such things as inflight wattmeter type loggers?

Cheers

Mike

18/09/2020 22:22:40

Hello

been flying for years but have just taken the plunge into electric with an F3A Sebart Wind E 50. The ESC/Motor/battery I've plumbed for is a Hacker X-70-SB-Pro 2.6 with Hacker A50-16S V4 and a 4500mAh 6S Top Fuel Lipo.

Question is, I can't see anywhere in the ESC specs where it says what the output voltage is for running the Rx and servos. Given that some of the servos are fairly beefy HV (6v to 8v) I'm wondering If I need a separate 2S lipo for Rx and Servos or if the ESC will handle it? Receiver will be a Spektrum AR8000.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Thread: Make a vac forming setup
09/04/2020 22:11:03

Hello

I was planning on using 3D moods too. But was wondering how a PLA mold would hold up to the heat of the hot plastic?

cheers

mike

06/04/2020 21:41:33

Hello

can anyone's point me at any RCME mag, or any other articles/threads etc on making say a 12" x 12" vac forming setup. Mainly for canopies, spinners etc.

Cheers

mike

Thread: Model shops - Edinburgh
09/02/2020 18:35:30

Haha ... I know where you mean now. I was an IT contractor before going permie and worked at the Gyle for a good few years on and off. That's how I know of Marionville models which was just off the Gyle. I used to stay at a B&B around Cameron Toll and ride to and from work on my cycle ... often with detours all around Edinburgh.

I know the city quite well but forget all the names. Especially the bars etc.  Worked Glasgow quite a bit. Both quite different in any number of ways!

Edited By MikeQ on 09/02/2020 18:36:48

Thread: Hammer F3 build (another another) - glider newbie
09/02/2020 14:12:03

HellO 

making slow progress on this one but hopefully should pick up now I've got other projects out of the way. Looking at rolling my own ballast tube as I have carbon cloth and skinning resin.

How much ballast makes sens on a model like this? Never used it before apart from a couple of chunks of lead bolted internally in my Obelixs when really windy. I'm guessing 250g-750g but that's a total punt based on reading various threads. My calculations show that a 22mm diameter copper tube at 24 cm long would give around 1kg of ballast. I intend to fill the copper pipe with molten lead and cut into sensible sized chunks.

Next question ... what's the best way to mount the tube along the length of the fuselage. Seems a bit 'lightweight' to just epoxy it to the floor of the fuselage ... but maybe that's OK? I'm guessing the tube will need to be longer at the front to reach the slide on nose section where I can load the 'spacers' and slugs as needed.

Cheers

mike

PS pic shows one I didn't get too far with before working out I'd made an ar@e of calculating the length 

img_1192.jpg

Edited By MikeQ on 09/02/2020 14:15:52

Thread: Model shops - Edinburgh
08/02/2020 18:28:53

Lol ... Northampton. Unfortunately, not even Leeds qualifies for the North. And Manchester and Scouseland are positively on the tropics. I'm afraid Thirsk is the border ... maybe even the A66.

Think ill I'll give the model shop at the meadows a miss thanks

08/02/2020 18:11:37

Lol ... look ... the North of England doesn't start until Thirsk and the North East is north of that.

Ask you lass for a look at her map book

08/02/2020 16:11:18

Yeah ... leeds is de facto my local model shop now and I live in Sunderland!

lol ... that is indeed some detour. Needless to say must be your wife reads the map on day trips out

03/02/2020 11:18:13

Hi

yep ... Marionville rings a bell. It was just off the motorway so easy enough to dodge into. Must be 5 or 6 years maybe since I was there. Maybe more.

Never mind ... thanks for getting back.

cheers

mike

03/02/2020 11:01:23

Got to make a trip and drive past Edinburgh on the way to Dundee for work ... great. There used to be a model shop just north of the Gyle that was easy enough to dodge into. I like to see if I can pick up decent balsa in my travels. Is it still there? Can't see it on Google maps. Can't remember what it was called. Anywhere similar close by or is this another LMS down the drain?

cheers

mike

Edited By MikeQ on 03/02/2020 11:01:43

Edited By MikeQ on 03/02/2020 11:02:02

Thread: Throttle for Mills .75?
23/01/2020 13:23:17

Hello Thomas

just mailed you ... let me know if doesn't get through ... for some reason my address gets bounced now and then.

cheers

mike

22/01/2020 15:56:33

Couple of what?

22/01/2020 12:33:15

I was thinking of a PAW RC carb and making an adapter out of a bolt. Anyone know the thread size for the Irvine 0.75cc carb assy ... where it screws in to side of crankcase. My motors are buried deep in models in the rafters ... sorry to be lazy.

Cheers

19/01/2020 13:55:38

Hi

i know it's an old thread and a long shot but ... do you chaps know if anyone can supply RC carbs suitable for Irvine Mills .75cc. I've got a couple on Indian Mills 1.3cc and they work great in a KK Rover and a Veron Deacon.

Want to use my Irvine Mills in a RC converted Mercury Tiger Moth.

Cheers

mike

Edited By MikeQ on 19/01/2020 13:56:34

Edited By MikeQ on 19/01/2020 13:57:00

Thread: Hammer F3 build (another another) - glider newbie
02/01/2020 21:34:01

Hello

That's for the info MikeC. Just coming back to the Hammer after I got distracted on another project. I had planned to cover in glass and spray. However, I'm now thinking of just varnishing and spraying the tips etc. What product would you guys recommend by way of varnish. Some kind of 2K floor polish?

Bit non-plused on the ballast tube as well.  I've seen some good threads covering this so will probably just copy same.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Edited By MikeQ on 02/01/2020 21:35:02

Thread: Who uses blue or pink foam?
10/11/2019 08:40:23

Bummer ... it's allowing me to go all the way through checkout including P&P to the point of confirming order.

Guess you can't believe anything on the net sad

Not sure how much I need right now but probably a sheet of say 1.2mx0.6mx75 or 100mm. It's for making a fuselage plug on a project that won't kick off for a good few months. Was just 'stocking up' per se.

Are you the same Alan that asked LezScurfield of Novos fame about slope sites around Seaham. I replied to him as I'm in the Novos and live down Ryhope way. We might have met at one of he Novos meetings when I asked about joining  the Wear Valley gliders club?

Cheers

Mike

Edited By MikeQ on 10/11/2019 08:41:17

10/11/2019 06:43:42

Hello Alan

did you manage to get hold of any blue foam in the end. I'm still looking for future projects. I'm still looking at ... https://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/ravago-floormate-300a-styrofoam-insulation-boards ... as being the most likely.

5 sheets at 75mm X 1.2m X 0.6m for around £135 might be more than I need. If there is anyone in NE who fancies splitting an order then I'm up for it.

cheers

mike

Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!