By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Michael Barclay

Here is a list of all the postings Michael Barclay has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Very fast delivery from Banggood China
11/07/2020 17:33:06

I have loads of stuff from HK EU warehouse. Cheaper postage than from UK and always arrived within 7 working days.

Thread: Forum weekend prize draw - just like the good ol' days
11/07/2020 09:42:21

I must be thick as a post for entering this. Never won anything in my life.sad

Thread: 0.4mm spring steel wire
07/07/2020 09:20:57
Posted by Jeffrey Cottrell 2 on 06/07/2020 18:40:23:

Hi Guys

Anyone know where I can get some 0.4mm dia spring steel wire in this country.

E-bay lists loads, but the all come from China, with all its attendant delays.

Really like to have it before the turn of the milleniumsmiley

Cheers

Jeff

It's listed on AMAZON UK.

Thread: Receivers
04/07/2020 10:03:20
Posted by David Davis on 04/07/2020 09:19:11:
Posted by Michael Barclay on 04/07/2020 08:28:42:
Posted by brokenenglish on 03/07/2020 19:27:45:

For the last 8 years, I've been using Spektrum Tx with Orange receivers from HK Europe. Many, many flying hours and I've never had any problem whatsoever.

I can second that. I have half a dozen Orange R620x receivers with good range and no problems. Have seen crashes at the club with members flying Spectrum receivers blaming loss of signal.

We can only speak from our own experiences.

I lost signal while using Orange receivers resulting in the loss of my SLEC Fun Fly and a Seagull Boomerang ARTF trainer. From memory the Orange receiver had only one antenna. Perhps the had something to do with it. In the case of the Fun Fly I had witnesses observe the engine cutting out and then my total lack of control as the model crashed to the ground. That said, both models had had several previous flights without incident.

In the third case I had taken a Spektrum receiver out of my ancient and much-repaired Junior 60 and replaced it with an Orange receiver. I had arranged to hand over the model to a novice pilot that same day. We had an apparent glitch on the first flight and on the second all signal was lost and we watched the model glide free flight into a wheat field. Despite it being covered overall in orange Solartex we could not find it. I expect I'll get it back once it's been through the front end of a combine harvester! Perhaps after over thirty years of ownership it objected to being given to a new owner!

I am happy with the performance of my AR410s and given the very reasonable price can see no reason to use anything else.

It would be interesting to know which Orange rx you were using. I think some people had trouble with the 610 but the 620x has a very good reputation. Nice thing about Hobby King is you can view hundreds of reviews and if something is unreliable you will soon find out.

04/07/2020 08:28:42
Posted by brokenenglish on 03/07/2020 19:27:45:

For the last 8 years, I've been using Spektrum Tx with Orange receivers from HK Europe. Many, many flying hours and I've never had any problem whatsoever.

I can second that. I have half a dozen Orange R620x receivers with good range and no problems. Have seen crashes at the club with members flying Spectrum receivers blaming loss of signal.

Thread: How long have you been waitng for an order from HK Global?
03/06/2020 16:57:59
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 03/06/2020 11:01:29:

I think that customs say a $30 limit which was about £19 but of course we are now having to pay a lot more for imports. I was very annoyed to find that postage is also classed as chargeable and got caught out by using express which pushed my order way over.

Thanks for that information Martin. I did not know the exact figure so just kept it below £15 to be on the safe side. Mike.

03/06/2020 10:30:12

I find that on small orders of less than £15 inc postage I dont pay customs fees. Over that and you pay on about 50% of parcels.I don't mind paying the small amount of import charges but I think the post office charge of £7 is a bit much.

Thread: Silicon conformal coating for float plane electronics.
23/05/2020 12:57:14
I said I would report on here after testing the epoxy waterproofing of my esc. and I can say the system I used is an unmitigated success. I first tested the esc underwater for a period of 5 minutes and it worked perfectly. I then ran the motor using an oversize prop to generate heat in the esc and the heat was transferred to the heat sink as normal. The bond between esc and heat sink was unaffected by the heat, and the esc is now installed in the model. My esc is fitted under the battery compartment with the heat sink exposed and is not in a watertight compartment.
I should perhaps enlarge on my original description of epoxy encapsulating the esc. in case others wish to try the system.
1.... It is neccessary to level the FETs to ensure good contact with the heat sink as they will not be level as installed.
2....I used West epoxy which is quite thin. Quick curing systems being thicker may not conduct heat to the heat sink from the FETs effectively.

Edited By Michael Barclay on 23/05/2020 13:00:09

17/05/2020 15:53:12
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 17/05/2020 15:27:29:

Well it can't be sealed then? I honestly think for a low wing floatplane such as the He5 you will only get water in the electronics if you put it nose first into the water (ie crash). I've been flying waterplanes for over 30 years and have not really found this necessary. I might consider it on high wing model such as a Cub because they will tip over with little provocation.

I am not disputing your experience Alan but I am a person who is not afraid to think through a problem and try something new. I spent a lifetime doing this in my work and it is the only way that the human race has made progress. I will test the esc later this week and report on here whether the system is a success or a failure. Mike.

17/05/2020 15:20:53
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 17/05/2020 15:11:17:

YMMV but personally potting in epoxy is the last thing I'd have done to an ESC. I'd be concerned about the ability of the MOSFETs to be able to transfer heat to the heatsink. That may well cause you more reliability problems than the possibility of getting water in the ESC.

I've only ever seen a couple of people pop their ESCs on water planes after turning the model over on the water and in both cases they kept trying to apply power to the motor with the model submerged. Could be a coincidence but perhaps not?

Hello Alan. I made certain there is no epoxy between the heatsink and the MOSFETs. Mike.

17/05/2020 15:04:10

Thanks for your replies everyone. In the end I decided to use West System Epoxy which I use for many other things and have tons in stock. I mixed 12 grams into a small pot and warmed slightly to make it very thin. Removed the heat sink then dipped the complete esc into the epoxy. Made certain everthing was saturated then suspended the esc and left to drain. Replaced heat sink after half an hour and now three hours later I have an esc completely water tight. Will test tomorrow under water.

p1070378.jpg

Edited By Michael Barclay on 17/05/2020 15:05:14

16/05/2020 22:10:27

Thanks for the replies Guys.

16/05/2020 13:57:07

Just completing my Hienkel HE 5 float plane. Looked at many videos of waterproofing sytems fro esc and reciever. Silicon conformal coating looks good but I am open to suggestions of anything better from anyone out there building float planes.

Thread: Flying over private land
15/05/2020 10:38:36
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 15/05/2020 10:29:36:
Posted by Cuban8 on 15/05/2020 10:03:12:

For full size flying, the 500' minimum height refers to keeping 500' from people, vehicles, vessels and structures - not a blanket no flying under 500' as I understand things.

**LINK**

Edited By Cuban8 on 15/05/2020 10:07:42

I've been a pilot since 1976, military and later commercial, and am not 100% sure but I think it is. I remember my RAF instructor saying, re 'forced landings without power' to ignore the 500 ft rule as you won't learn anything about forced landing from 500 feet.

Then if you are not sure Richard with all your experience where does that leave the rest of us? I always get the feeling that some on here state as gospel things they do not know for certain, such as conflicting views on insurance.for which there seem to be many interpretations but few hard facts.

14/05/2020 18:03:41
Posted by Ralph C on 14/05/2020 10:45:58:

I was reading the BMFA guide to "Model Flying and Farmers" from 2013 and it mentions that it is legal to overfly private land (otherwise normal flying would be illegal).

Is this still true? I am thinking with my drone that if this is the case, surely I can just find a public footpath (50m from buildings/people/pylons, 150m from settlements) and take off vertically from that and fly over fields?

Surely I will incur the wrath of a farmer watching this? I can't see how it would end well.

Grateful for any opinions on this.

Thanks.

Would BMFA insurance cover be void if over-flying without landowners permision?

Thread: The big question, WHEN
11/05/2020 13:18:30
Posted by john stones 1 on 11/05/2020 13:16:19:

Yep, It's a no brainer for me, getting our latest goodies delivered Is not essential, but we're doing it, at other peoples risk, some going back to work are not essential just yet, but they're being asked to. So which is it ?

The risks O.K if it benefits Me, If not it should be stopped. What is essential about the hobby stuff we've been buying, and people out there at risk in the process ?

Go fly, be careful.

I will, and I will.

11/05/2020 10:51:00
Posted by SR 71 on 11/05/2020 10:44:17:

Bob i live alone im 80 and i love my models, BUT

Be patient or be a patient

Absolutely nothing wrong with your point of view. Problem is when people try to force thier views on others who may have a different take on the situation.

11/05/2020 10:42:10
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 11/05/2020 10:35:19:

Possibly because we fear for our remaining sanity, a fair few are living alone, and has been said many times this could go on for another 12 months and we're not getting any younger. I find it incredible that some people think other peoples views are not valid. Incredible.

Totally agree Bob.

11/05/2020 10:38:43

Seems to me that the message from the PM is "Use Common Sense".Now if I am flying at the club field and stay ten feet away from anyone else who is there that is what I will be doing. I see no risk in that but anyone who does not agree as I said before does not have to fly.

11/05/2020 09:59:28
Posted by Colin Carpenter on 11/05/2020 09:55:08:

He’s as clear as mud ! However , I agree with Cuban as above ! Family members only! So we can fly alone in a club scenario with an organised rota ! Disenfect padlocks 🔐 etc ! Anything else will just mean NHS workload will go through the roof and family members will suffer in approximately 2 weeks ! Colin

Seems clear enough to me.

What distance appart before one is considered to be alone?

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!