By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Michael Barclay

Here is a list of all the postings Michael Barclay has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pushrod connectors
17/02/2020 16:22:57
Posted by Mike T on 17/02/2020 15:34:36:

They need a bit of management, to be sure (a.k.a. basic engineering). I use them (as supplied) on most electric ARTFs for all control surfaces, but usually only on throttles for i.c. That said, I once had them (again as supplied) on all the controls of a .60-sized Great Planes 'Shoestring'. Never had a problem.

Once the set-up has been established, I'll file away the grub screw's 'witness mark' to leave a small flat on the pushrod, then screw it down tight with Loctite. Not cyano, not 5 min. epoxy. Loctite. I'm pretty sure the guys who have been formulating and manufacturing these engineering compounds for years know what they are about...

Well I will continue to use 5 minute epoxy on the nut and protruding thread which hold the connector to the control arm. It's a rock solid method and the epoxy has to be cut away with a knife in order to remove the connector. Can't get more secure than that, and yes I started doing this when I found a connector which had worked loose in spite of Locktite which I have used for donkeys years on many other applications. I dont find it works well on these tiny threads.

As for the grub screw which locks the piano wire in position you cannot beat throwing this away and replacing it with a M3 hexagon allen bolt which allows for much more torque to be applied without damage which would occur to a grub screw. Once torqued down they never move.

16/02/2020 10:41:38

Spot of 5 minute epoxy over head of nut, better than locktite, then replace screw which grips rod with hexagon head allen bolt.

Edited By Michael Barclay on 16/02/2020 10:44:44

Thread: Chinese suppliers
31/01/2020 15:10:32

Lets face facts. There are too many humans on the planet. If we don't control the population then sooner or later nature will find a way to thin us out.

Thread: Hobbyking site development.
25/01/2020 13:02:58
Posted by paul d on 24/01/2020 19:01:29:

I honestly don't understand why chaps bother with these people, support your local shop, lets be honest all they sell is cheap Chinese carp.....

It would be nice if local model shops labled goods "Made in UK". Then we would see exactly what is made in UK as opposed to being imported from the far east and rebadged at a large mark up.

There does seem to be a certain snobery where Hobby King is concerned but personally I have no complaints about thier products or service.

Thread: Memory lane DB 1/4 Sopwith Pup
23/01/2020 10:29:24

What a nice story. Good luck with re refurbishment.

Thread: Cheaper or more expensive.
19/01/2020 10:23:38

Seems to me that the EU is just a protectionist club, designed to keep competition away from inefficient EU industries, ie. French 2 hour lunch breaks, outdated French farming practices,high unemployment, etc. ( Before anyone contradicts me on that I lived in France for 15 years until recently so I know what I am talking about.)

So my take on things is that we should get the benefit of cheaper imports, but I guess only time will tell.

18/01/2020 17:25:30

As most of our equipment seems to come from the far east, does the pannel think our hobby will become cheaper or more expensive as a result of Brexit?

Thread: What size model?
17/01/2020 11:42:01

Thanks everyone for your interesting replies. As I expected car size and workspace has a lot to do with it.

As I said in my original post I don't have a car, in fact I have not had one since 1999, reason being that living and cruising singlehanded on my yacht I did not need a car. I keep asking myself if I need one now and the answer is no as I now live on my narrowboat which in the flying season I move to a marina which is 10 minutes pleasant stroll in the country to the club field. For me having a car just to move slightly bigger planes a short distance would not make sense. Guess it's the minimalist in me, but that philosophy did allow me to retire at 45.

So for the present it's 50" max for me with the aim to build light as posible for low and slow flying rather than two mistakes high. The sudden death of low flying mistakes just creates room on my boat for another build.

Thread: Hobbyking site development.
16/01/2020 08:47:21

Tried to log into Hobbyking this morning. Page says " We are currently undergoing some exciting site developments and will be back with you shortly."

Great. Looks as though they are listening to thier customers.

Thread: Your experience of Banggood delivery time?
14/01/2020 20:55:32

And people on this forum complain about Hobbyking. Give me Hobbyking any day of the week.

Edited By Michael Barclay on 14/01/2020 21:50:30

Thread: What size model?
11/01/2020 10:21:02

I have just started a Fokker D7 and decided on a wingspan of 44 inches, this being a practical size to build because of space considerations ( I live on my boat) and also I walk to the club so must carry my models. I have built bigger such as my Handley Page bomber ( see my albums) by building in sections before final assembly but its a pain really and an awkward beast to carry any distance.

I was wondering how others decide on the size of a model when designing or buying a kit. Is it a practical descision, or an aesthetic one? Perhaps like me you think that above a certain size a model looses a certain appeal? What does the panel think?

Mike.

Thread: Hobby King Orange RX. 8 channel V3
04/01/2020 09:55:09

Version 2 of the Orange RX not been available for sometime but looks as though Hobby King are introducing a version 3 of their full range recievers. Price looks OK.

Thread: Epoxy
02/01/2020 08:18:00

Pound shop. I use tons of the stuff. Never had a problem.

Many years experience working with epoxies in the marine industry shows cure problems always down to incorrect mixing, either of quantity or stiring.

Thread: Hobbyking
29/12/2019 10:30:18

Face facts. The corner shop is a thing of the past. Large online retailers are here to stay. I for one wish Hobby King all the best in restructuring the business. I have had nothing but first class service from them with quality products at great prices, and I have no problem navigating the website.

Why drive to a model shop to find they have no stock of what you need but can order it for you and have it in a week to ten days at a large markup on Hobby King prices.No thanks.

My only issue with them is the delivery charges from the UK but I guess thats beyond Hobby Kings control. Not a big problem as I now order mostly from the EU warehouse.Have not had to wait longer than 5 days for delivery of anything.

Thread: Got deep pockets, EXPENSIVE r/c DC3 !!!!
15/12/2019 10:38:23

Looks nice. I'll bet it sells in US. Probably to hang in hotel lobby or themed restaurant.

Thread: Buying LiPo`s
11/12/2019 12:35:46

I find Turnigy lipos to be very good value. Bought lots with no issues.

Thread: Hobby King Orange RX.
09/12/2019 15:18:45

I heard that Hobby King will launch a new Orange reciever in the new year. Anyone know anything?

Thread: Nieuport 11.
08/12/2019 15:51:34

Thanks for the replies. What I was really interested in was info on the incideces of the full size plane. Can't find any reference to it.

06/12/2019 13:48:16

I am building 42" Nieuport 11 in Depron scaled from small 3 view. I used 2 deg. of incidence on my other bi-planes (except or the Heyford heavy bomber which had 5 deg. as per the original ) and they fly pretty well so will most likely go with 2 deg again, but just wondering if anyone knows the wing incidences of the original plane.

Thread: Hobby king delivery charges
21/11/2019 13:09:56

My latest order from Hobby King EU arrived yesterday, 5 days delivery time, cost £2.70 for small parcel.

Same order from UK delivery time 2 days cost would have been £5.00.

As I order well in advance delivery time not a problem so I go with the cheapest to encourage competition.

Edited By Michael Barclay on 21/11/2019 13:10:49

Edited By Michael Barclay on 21/11/2019 13:12:25

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us