By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for alex nicol

Here is a list of all the postings alex nicol has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Advice needed
14/08/2019 13:45:10

Hi Jill,

Im sorry for your loss.

My suggestion would be if John was a member of an aero modelling club to contact them directly. Alternately if you go to www.bmfa.org you'll find contact details for a local club who I'm sure would only be happy to assist.

Best Regards

Alex

Thread: Prop failure
14/08/2019 09:13:34

Looks to me like the joys of communication by the written word. It's so easy to write something one way only to have it interpreted another way.

either way looks like somebody might not be getting any more new engines of a particular type :0) ..........joking, honest

Thread: Take off dolly for a Funfighter, anyone used one?
13/08/2019 20:19:52

I used to have the Mustang many moons ago, grossly over powered with a 32 (can't remember if it was SC or APS) What I do remember was take offs were as hairy as hell unless it got a right good fast heave into the air.

That said once I'd realised why, take offs were no problem.

As mentioned I think you could have problems with the dolly if you had no rudder

Alex

Thread: Single servo ailerons
13/08/2019 17:59:57

The reason I asked as to the current aileron deflections was there is no mention in the thread. I just wanted to rule out the obvious and check the throws are currentlyset to something sensible.

Alex

13/08/2019 16:45:16

Apologies if this a bit obvious

Before anything is adjusted, have you measured the aileron deflection and compared it to the recommended deflections?

Also have you checked the balance point

Alex

Thread: ASP prop driver stuck!
12/08/2019 13:26:16

Hi Keith,

I've been watching this thread with interest and to be honest am amazed at the volume of advice offered for what in essence is a fairly simple issue, it's the solution that's proving somewhat obstinate.

Looks like the new puller should do the trick

Good Luck

10/08/2019 10:14:23

I could be off the mark here, from memory I think the ASP also has a woodruff key that locates the prop driver?

I have something niggling in the back of my mind that if this key drops out jammed prop driver or slipping prop position can occur.

I tried to check the Just Engines Website for parts diagram before posting but its down for maintenance at the minute.

Agree with Solly, sounds like you might need to use a hotter heat source to get the driver off

Good Luck

Alex

Thread: Greetings from Paul.
09/08/2019 18:59:21

Hi Paul,

We had similar issues with a club members "jumper 25" , the root cause was the grass was too long and Unfortunately our grass cutter was otherwise engaged.

We put a bigger nose wheel on and changed the prop to a smaller diameter with greater pitch ( 3 blades are less efficient than 2 ) and spread the rear undercarriage legs to increase the prop to grass gap. Prior to take off the model was pushed forward a few feet to create a couple of tracks. The final step was to restrain the model until full power was reached and let it go with a little up elevator held in.

At first there was a few hairy take offs but we soon had the knack.

Hope this is of use to you

Cheers

Alex

Thread: ASP 1.80 fs vs DLE 30 2s
09/08/2019 14:12:03

Thanks Gents, much appreciated

Fortunately our flying site is in deepest farming country and we have no noise restrictions. That said I'll be fitting a Pitts style silencer to the DLE. If it was purely sound based it'd be the ASP no contest.

Given both power units are similar weights and the dimensions of the airframe (length 79" wingspan 69" I think I'll go for power in this instance.

That said, having recently completed a Chilli Wind and being delighted with it, I've a motion to build a scaled up version ( 1.3 ish ) which should take it to about 75" and make a good home for the ASP.

Alex

09/08/2019 11:09:13

Gents,

I have an ASP 1.80 fs and a DLE 30 2s and wondering how they compare for power. The 1.80 has seen a bit of running/flying and as yet the DLE is still in the box.

I have a Phoenix models PC21 (1/5 scale) and was wondering which engine would be best to use.

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers

Alex

Thread: ED Hunter MK IV - Prop nut assembly damage
07/08/2019 13:41:05

Hi Luccaaa,

Try Just Engines, They do crankshaft extender nuts. Not sure what sizes but might be worth a look

Cheers

Thread: Downthrust or Upthrust
07/08/2019 12:36:35

Hi Tosh,

Good question. My guess would be the reason for the pitching on hand launch could just be the speed of launch, especially as it flys OK after the launch. Altering the thrust angle may affect normal flying.

you'll get some more technically detailed responses to your question than mine

Cheers

Alex

Thread: What have I got here ?????
06/08/2019 16:40:11

Hi Harry

Do you have a picture?

Thread: How to Straighten Horizontal Stabilizer?
05/08/2019 21:34:48

If the tail sits on top of the fuselage it might be simpler to do a vertical cut at the tail LE and a single cut under the tail and remove the fin and tail as one unit. This would allow easier access to the fuselage for any remedial work.

Do you have the name of the model or a picture of the tail end by any chance

Cheers

Alex

05/08/2019 20:44:21

Hi Ash, I agree with Andy. Assuming it's a solid tail and not out by much, you could try the blade on one side only. The blade will create a gap which may be enough to let you flex the tail (Good Luck)

Cheers

Alex

Thread: Extra Hot Chilli
05/08/2019 13:46:43

Watching with interest. By coincidence I maidened my Chilli Wind yesterday and absolutely loved it.

chilli wind 1.jpg

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
15/07/2019 19:55:36

chilli wind 3.jpgchilli wind 2a.jpgChilli Wind Plan build, Almost ready to go, hopefully this week

chilli wind 1.jpg

15/07/2019 19:51:54

My Gumtree ARTF purchase, maiden flight (Garage find boxed ARTF), anybody recognise it

artf 3.jpgartf 2 .jpgartf.jpg

Thread: Ripmax ARTF stocks
12/06/2019 15:09:38

Percy,

What I posted is my opinion based on many years experience within supply chain and service industries. The model industry is no different to any other. If demand drops financial constraints tighten and this action will cause the supplier to review their costs.

Such review could result in a supply to order and/or actually reduce the amount of lines offered. This in turn could mean slow moving items are sacrificed to make way for faster churning more profitable lines.

I could go on at length about the various factors which could affect things but, I think we'd all loose the will to live if I did.

One area wher I absolutely agree with you is if you can't buy it artf then build it.

Happy Flying

12/06/2019 13:20:55

In the challenging times in which we live, suppliers can't afford to have vast sums tied up in stock and are gradually moving towards a supply to order or a just in time stock replenishment particularly on larger/expensive items.

Suppliers, Shops etc just don't carry the stock they used to and it's not just the modelling fraternity.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us