By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for alex nicol

Here is a list of all the postings alex nicol has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ripmax ARTF stocks
12/06/2019 15:09:38

Percy,

What I posted is my opinion based on many years experience within supply chain and service industries. The model industry is no different to any other. If demand drops financial constraints tighten and this action will cause the supplier to review their costs.

Such review could result in a supply to order and/or actually reduce the amount of lines offered. This in turn could mean slow moving items are sacrificed to make way for faster churning more profitable lines.

I could go on at length about the various factors which could affect things but, I think we'd all loose the will to live if I did.

One area wher I absolutely agree with you is if you can't buy it artf then build it.

Happy Flying

12/06/2019 13:20:55

In the challenging times in which we live, suppliers can't afford to have vast sums tied up in stock and are gradually moving towards a supply to order or a just in time stock replenishment particularly on larger/expensive items.

Suppliers, Shops etc just don't carry the stock they used to and it's not just the modelling fraternity.

Thread: Slowing down (a sports-aero) on landings - flaperons or spoilerons?
06/06/2019 20:19:23

For what it's worth, the way I see it is if you got a rudder then learn to use it. We've all had to handle the weather vain effect caused by crosswind landings, the crab approach and that final bit of corrective rudder before flairing out and touching down looks so much neater.

One of the things I enjoy doing is practicing circuits and final approaches/touch and goes ( fortunately it's a small club and it's extremely rare for more than one model to be in the air at a time) Added to the mix I do a random simulated dead stick from various positions/heights. If you get it wrong, power on and round again.........as they say practice makes perfect .............well that's the theory. I'm still working on that bit

Happy Landings

Alex

Thread: Sewn hinges
31/05/2019 14:40:17

Whilst square, beveled and rounded surfaces will work ok, after many years of flying controline combat models which mostly had 1/8" elevators I say rounded is best. Also there is no need to stitch along the whole length of the control surface.

The other thing you could consider is if you're using iron on covering you could use that to hinge the control surface

Thread: CAA registration consulation
13/05/2019 16:37:38

Forgive my ignorance here, is control line affected by this or does it only apply to free flying models?

Thread: Banded on undercarriage
02/04/2019 13:25:17

I agree with Mike, only use 2 bolts as thin as you think you'll get away with. the thinking is, should you have a heavy landing the bolts will snap, use heavier bolts and you'll rip the mounting plate out. It's a bit of a catch 22, but easier to replace nylon bolts than rebuild the bottom of the fuselage. Good luck with whatever you decide

Thread: Does your club prohibit the use of after-market receivers?
22/03/2019 13:35:00

Common sense should really be allowed to prevail here. We all have a duty of care to ensure our models are as safe as they reasonably can be. that sad the challenge is common sense sometimes just isn't that common.

20/03/2019 20:31:42

having just scanned through all the posts in this thread, interesting to note that there hasn't been a single post in favour of matching Tx/Rx ...............says it all I think.

20/03/2019 14:40:12

Our club doesn't I'm pleased to say.

The thing is, how many 'cheap receiver' incidents were actually a receiver fault and not down to quality of installation, pilot error, cheap switches, -ve lead corrosion etc., in addition when you factor in how a lot of these so called incidents have a tendency to grow arms & legs............how far do you go, perhaps ban all batteries, switches and servo's that don't match the tx brand.

Ive used fasst Orange & Corona Rx's with a Futaba Tx with no issues. (ic & petrol powered models)

For me personally, if such a rule was introduced I'd have to seriously consider moving club

Thread: If you only had one engine to use, which one would it be.
11/03/2019 19:53:35

For me it's the Irvine 53 mk2 in a heartbeat. Bags of power and they all perform without fault

Thread: Ebay sellers...
21/02/2019 20:51:32

I wonder if he's got a Trojan Wing on a Bullet Fuselage somewhere............It certainly gave me a good laugh

Thread: Tachometer recommendation
14/02/2019 12:03:44

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the offer, I've decided to go with the Turnigy one as I don't need the current checking as I'm all Glow & Petrol

13/02/2019 15:49:52

Gents,

I'm looking for a reasonable tachometer. Never having used one Any recommendations and also anything I should avoid.

Thanks

Thread: Turbo Raven Plans
12/02/2019 15:35:43

Gents,

This is just an inkling of an idea for the moment. I have a notion to build a Turbo Raven. Ideally about 80" span and suitable for 1.80 fs.

I don't mind scaling up or down plans to get the size I'm after. I just wondered if anybody knows if there are any plans out there that'd suit. I've done some general searching on Google, Outerzone & Aerofred but no joy as yet.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Thanks

Thread: Catastrophe!
11/02/2019 21:09:58

Glad you found the fault. Your deep fried potatoes comment made me laugh out loud.

Happy Flying

Thread: Doubler mistake
07/02/2019 14:37:41

Made me smile for exactly the same reason, but I would say 3 types of modellers,

Those that haven't yet, but will,

Those that have and did build the spare fuselage

Those that did build the spare fuselage and we're glad they did because it was needed 6 months later !!!!!!

Happy building

Thread: Fuel Tubing
04/02/2019 17:58:37

Hi Chris,

Try giving Iain a call at IAD Model Designs

Cheers

Alex

Thread: Futaba Orange fasst rx aerial installation
04/02/2019 17:54:33

Thanks Chris, i never thought about the metal bits, I'll put them at 90degrees to each other but as far apart as I can get them.

All I need now is something done about the weather!!!

Cheers

04/02/2019 15:34:36

Gents,

Thanks for your responses. The orange Rx has 2 aerials approx 6'' long with the last 11/2'' insulated transparently. I was going to put the aerials inside a couple of off cuts of control snakes, but I like the bendy straw idea and think I might just go with that instead.

Thanks Again

Alex

Thread: Catastrophe!
04/02/2019 14:06:51

That's the trouble with forums sometimes. Don't get me wrong excellent help and assistance, but sometimes the factual statistics differ wildly from the anecdotal story's.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Revoc
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us