By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for alex nicol

Here is a list of all the postings alex nicol has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
05/10/2018 00:01:05

Try this, pilots vs maintenance crew, it's really funny

https://aviationhumor.net/pilots-vs-maintenance-engineers/

Thread: RM Aerobat
30/09/2018 16:06:07

if it flys as good as the precedent Fun Fly or the Maricado you'll have a brilliant flying plane. I have both......the fun fly is coming up on its 25th anniversary and the Maricado is about 15 years old........both still in regular use today

Thread: Mix and Match
22/09/2018 19:22:19

Couldn't agree more...............it's a pity you can't ban the jobsworths...........or he who makes the daftest rule gets to cut the grass for a month

Thread: Cutting film covering
20/09/2018 21:39:37

The answer's easy...........just get the wife to do it ) it's a well known fact that women are much better than men with an iron

Thread: Ripmax Bullet
20/09/2018 10:38:39

There's a few shops still listing the Ripmax Bullet, but when you follow through its listed as out of stock. I made a couple of calls re delivery but no dates could be given. PB models are doing the original as a kit, which I did seriously consider but finally decided to go for a plan build of a Chilli Wind instead ( should keep me out of mischief for the next month or two)

19/09/2018 22:55:10

Hi Jim,

No joy with the Bullet, however I've just purchased plans for a Chilli Wind and cut the first couple of formers out this evening

Thread: Battle of Britain: Model Squadron
19/09/2018 16:38:48

Very entertaining and enjoyable programme.......would it make me go and buy a foam spitfire......no, but would I watch the programme again .....yes

Thread: Ask..Peter Miller
17/09/2018 22:43:23

You can please some of the people all the time.........

Thread: What would be a good first Balsa build
17/09/2018 22:40:19

Hi Thomas,

Because a kit or balsa pack is selected it's not unknown to have poor wood selection. It's not the first time I've had 2 fuselage sides of completely different grades.

What type of plane takes your fancy?, the other option is to go to somewhere like Sarik and go for a plan and wood pack.

I've just ordered the chilli wind plan and am about to tackle the build........ic I'm afraid......Irvine 53 in need of a good home.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thread: Battle of Britain: Model Squadron
10/09/2018 19:23:23

one point I'd raise is some of the take offs were decidedly hairy. Whether it was done to the the 'carpet strip' or excessive wind I don't know. Did anyone else think that

just to be clear this is in no way meant as a criticism of any of the pilots, that said I dare say some of the real thing training take offs would also be somewhat hairy

Alex

10/09/2018 12:09:34

If we're all a bunch of anoraks, then all I can say is after last nights program anorak sales will be on the increase and that's no bad thing for our hobby

Thread: Anyone bought an Acrowot Foam-e Recently?
07/09/2018 13:52:53

I agree completely.........The way I look at it, is it might only be a sticker that's reverse printed but the fact of the matter is its wrong and should be changed in a heartbeat with no fuss.........trouble is most of us seem to just accept shoddy or slapdash quality. If anyone from Ripmax is reading this thread I'd be very interested in hearing your response

Thread: OS 120 E four stroke Engine
04/09/2018 20:10:42

if power and price are issues, then you could always go for the asp 1.80, there's not a lot of difference in weight and it's the same crankcase as the 1.20.......... more importantly it'll swing a 16x8 effortlessly

I have one in the front of a Flair Christen Eagle (not the lightest airframe on the planet) and it will go vertically out of sight.

there's a review on the JE website and it's spot on .......That's my two peneth worth.........good luck with your search

Thread: Forum Members Old Heaps: Let's See Them!
04/09/2018 18:01:56

Precedent FunFly approx 30 years old, original airframe & covering. Pic taken 2 weeks ago

ff now.jpg

Thread: I was a bit too late in taking back control...
24/08/2018 20:37:26

I agree with Mike, that is very repairable.

cyano all the fuse side bits, epoxy the formers and very light glass cloth along the outside of the damaged bit of fuse side ( if you put heavy polythene over the glass and squeegee it and leave to dry it'll come out smooth and need minimal sanding), couple of bits of profilm and it's done

Ps what do you call a Boomerang that doesn't come back?

Alex

Thread: Unexplained crash
23/08/2018 17:11:55

Hi Percy,

Excellent idea, wish I had thought of it. I think I might just be investing in a servo tester in the very near future.

regards

alex

23/08/2018 17:09:35

Hi Roger,

thanks for the post.........since I originally posted curiosity got the better of me and I've flight tested all bar the offending servo on several outings and I'm pleased to say not a glitch......so looks like you're spot on

regards

Alex

Thread: Dragon Lady....I think!
23/08/2018 14:46:24

Here's mine, fuselage is pretty much as it came out the box

dl 4.jpgdl1.jpg

22/08/2018 22:30:49

I have a Dragon Lady which was by model tech and came as an artc kit.....(almost ready to cover) looks very similar to yours but just a little smaller at 66 span. also the stringers on the fuse decking don't have the supporting formers as they are glued to a foam decking. Also it has strip ailerons unlike your pics. if I could work out how to post from an iPad I'd stick the pics up

Thread: Diesel fuel - local
16/08/2018 21:41:22

Bet you couldn't run them all at once..........now that's a plate spinning exercise I'd love to see ;o)

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!