By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for alex nicol

Here is a list of all the postings alex nicol has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unexplained crash
19/06/2018 10:58:39

all thoughts welcome.

the week prior it did a very similar thing and I thought id taken off prematurely and tip stalled. after repair a week later and being very mindful of last weekI kept it on the ground and got max speed before taking off and also kept the rate of climb at a low angle (about 20 degrees)

this time it came off the ground as if on rails, recommended engine is 40-45 2s, I had an Irvine 53 on an 11x6 so no lack of power. I was approaching the point where I was thinking about making a gentle 90 degree left turn. Before any control input was given model was on its back and contact was made with terra firma........it happened in a blink no time to react

18/06/2018 22:39:18

I'm hoping that's it, but I'll keep testing for a bit to make sure............I've got time on my hands to put my home run jigsaw together )

18/06/2018 22:27:41

Hi Martin, separate channels, no y lead.

Further update, after plugging everything in on the bench, all worked fine. left it all switched on and did 5 minute interval quick stick wiggle checks, first couple went ok then the elevator servo was unresponsive, I picked the servo up and the base was absolutely roasting. hasty power off ensued servo in the bin. nothing's glitches remaining servos working fine, continuing to test

18/06/2018 21:51:36

I've been flying at this site for over a year with no issues. no glider clubs anywhere near.

if I switch the tx off nothing moves on the plane, I also unscrewed the Ariel and walked out of range.....nothing glitched. got a couple of little buzzes but no real control surface movement when I screwed the Ariel back in. Had the model under observation by a colleague as I did the walking

I haven't flown anything else since this happened as I don't want to risk it.

I have an old precedent fun fly airframe which I'm thinking of knitting out with a good known receiver, servo, battery comb to see what happens.......fail safe will be set

if it goes ok then it'll be process of elimination. just for info switch and aileron extension cables are in the bin as a precautionary measure. I'm tempted to toss the whole suspect set, but it's really irking me not knowing the cause

thanks again to all that contributed, if I ever find out I'll post the details

18/06/2018 19:23:41

Hi Paul,

I'm inclined to agree with you, if for no other reason than to rule it out

18/06/2018 19:11:22

Gents, thanks again for your input.

I've tried to summarise all points raised

What I can add is there was no radio interference from the field, as there were only two of us present at the time and the other Tx while on 35mhz is on 84, mine is on 76.

battery pack was fully charged and good a prior power cycle ensured 2hrs plus at a 1amp load.(6v 2500mah)

the switch was new

the receiver was new, first time in a plane Pcm 2048

the reason for full left up aileron and full right down was battery disconnected on impact.....no input from stick

the plane was only about 10ft up when it flicked, no time to react (or even add an expletive or two) and no other input given other than a very slight amount of up elevator to maintain a 20degree climb angle

absolutely no sign of servo glitches or buzz

range check carried out engine stopped, post crash range check carried out from pilot stance to crash site approx 100-150 yards tx ariel fully extended Rx Ariel run from Rx through top of fus to fin

cannot simulate anything untoward, tried wiggling all plugs connections......not a peep

individual aileron servos on separate channels 4 & 5 ( colour coded extension leads ......impossible to mix or plug in wrong Rx slot) left hand aileron fully up and right hand fully down

I'm completely stumped

18/06/2018 16:05:49

To Paul C,

Yes it does have a fail safe but it isn't set

18/06/2018 16:03:31

Apologies if I don't answer in time, suggestions are coming in thick and fast.

To Nigel R, no Y lead, one servo on each aileron colour coded leads from receiver red for right & yellow for left. aileron operation checked after the wing was attached and again at take off. Sifting through the wreckage left wing servo was fully up & Right fully down. I assumed this is the way it went in as the battery lead disconnected on impact - hard to tell what the other servo's were doing as the fuselage above the wing was mangled

18/06/2018 15:56:41

Ok I'll try and answer the above

Range, immediately after the transmitter was left at the strip with a colleague, everything forward of the wing te was mangled and the battery disconnected from switch due to impact this and the fact after following a rock steady straight line the model snap rolled left and piled in. each aileron has separate servo's the left was up and the right was down. The way the model reacted it was as if I'd put full left aileron on & full up elevator.

I reconnected the radio gear at crash site and everything centred. I had a walk around the crash site but no glitches at all. A colleague checked everything from the Tx at the pilot stance all was good - I should mention the crash happened at about 150 yards range.

Aerial was fully extended, no other models in the air or switched on

Model was at 90 degrees to the aerial

CG was same place its always been

Receiver doesn't have a crystal, you set the frequency from the Tx - all set ok

New battery & switch fitted - the only thing I can find is the battery connection isn't as positive as I'd like but no amount of wiggling causes any glitching or servo buzzing

18/06/2018 15:11:25

hadn't touched the retract switch at this point, although retracts were checked as part of the static preflight check.

With regard to the previous post point, ailerons were and still are correct.......just been to the hut and checked......standing from behind left stick, left aileron up, right down, right stick opposite happens, also part of static preflight checks Aileron extension leads are colour coded with tape, red for right wing yellow for left

18/06/2018 14:54:45

yes, two piece wing with joining tube and locating bolts, impossible not to put in straight. Id flown it before albeit several years ago. When it took off it flew poker straight, the only signal given was a small amount of up elevator to maintain a shallow climb ( circa 20 degrees)

18/06/2018 14:37:32

Ailerons were correct......model had just taken off dead straight - no aileron signal given at this point reached about 10ft flicked and in it went......no time to do anything

18/06/2018 14:22:40

sorry that should read Futaba 12z ......auto correct lol

18/06/2018 14:21:40

Gents, this ones a bit of a mystery to me. last week I resurrected an old black horse home run, sports aerobatic model, powered by Irvine 53, new gear installed. Funabashi 12z and 2048 pcm receiver, 5 revo's and 2 electric retract units on 35mhz. fully range checked .

off down the runway, slightly premature take off (or so I thought) model got to about 10ft rolled and went in. Initially I put it down to pilot error and tip stall due to lack of airspeed.

This week duly repaired, held it on the ground for as long as possible, smoothe take off with very shallow climb......solid as a rock same as above model rolled on its back and stuffed in.

Examination of the wreckage showed full left aileron. Thing is all the gear checks out, not even the slightest hint of a glitch, also it was a new 6v flight pack. no matter what I do switching on/off etc I can't get anything to twitch or full left aileron to happen........thoughts and ideas please

Thread: Wind Speed
16/06/2018 20:29:28

Thank you for the tip

16/06/2018 11:42:20

Thanks for the replies Gents, for me it's generally about 15mph is borderline. After that the enjoyment level decreases. I'm sitting here looking towards Sunday and its showers and 13mph winds forecast. Worst I ever flew in was so bad I could barely stand up, mind you it was a control line combat wing and all that was possible was figure 8's with the wind at your back.........thing was even when the engine cut it took ages to get the model down

16/06/2018 11:18:47

I'd be interested to know what the general consensus is with regard to max safe wind speed for flying. I know it depends on the model type. If we take a general sport 45-53 ic powered sport model or electric equivalent

Thread: Reproduction piston rings
11/06/2018 15:30:51

I bought one for an ST 34 and it worked a treat

Thread: Old fuel / nitro
08/06/2018 23:30:26

incidentally its also an exceptional cure for methanol poisoning ;o)

08/06/2018 21:06:59

maybe I'm missing something here and I mean it in the nicest possible way, but why would you want to put anything suspect or iffy like dodgy old fuel in an engine ..........would you put a dodgy or suspect servo in a plane ............Bin it and get the right stuff

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!