By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for alex nicol

Here is a list of all the postings alex nicol has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Take off into wind ?
08/06/2018 16:49:07

That's the trouble with common sense...........it just ain't that common.........unlike degree's in hindsight, there's loads of them around

Thread: Is this yet another scam
04/06/2018 14:51:27

All phones should come with a whistle.......good on you sir

sometimes I just ask them to hold on, 7 minutes is the best so far

Thread: Cambrian models funfighters
03/06/2018 22:39:13

I know folks will disagree but for me you can't beat a traditional Cambrian funfighter on a high speed low pass right down the strip ic power screaming its little head off.........it's nice to be a hooligan occasionally

Thread: anybody got one they want to offload
31/05/2018 01:11:37

Anybody got a decent moonraker airframe they'd part with

Thread: 2 Stroke deadstick issues
21/05/2018 22:36:47

Hi, one of our club members had a very similar thing with an Irvine 46. it ran ok on the ground at various speeds, then on take off about 20 feet up it just died. Tried everything, carb and needle o rings, flushed and cleaned carb out, replaced tank and glow plug, enya no3, changed fuel etc. Turned out it was the idle needle was turning, a little loctite on the idle threads and problem solved

Thread: Oracover(profilm), solarfilm & HK Film
12/05/2018 09:28:13

Gents,

Thanks to all who took the time to respond. Looks like it's a no brainer HK film it is then (especially at that price) it's definitely worth a punt

PS thanks for the model pics as well

Alex

10/05/2018 23:43:46

Thanks Tim,

It was the solarfilm post and the reference to the HK product and price that piqued my interest, not to mention the fact I've just paid about £80 for a roll of oracover. I've a project on the go that I'm thinking of using a chequered finish on the underside so I might just give it a go

Cheers

Alex

10/05/2018 22:04:16

Im looking for the benefit of experience.

I've used Solarfilm and Oracover/Profilm, how does HK film compare with them.

Thread: Engine mounting advice
04/05/2018 20:32:49

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what you use as long as the holes are accurate and the mount surface is flat. For me, nylon mount its self tappers, metal mount or in the old days beech wood bearers, its bolts, washers, and nylock lock nuts. never had a problem. one other thing to check is how secure is F1 bulkhead, you can have the best engine fixing on the planet but if the bulkhead is weak.........you can guess the rest

03/05/2018 22:31:45

I agree with Alan. I've put several engines onto nylon mounts using self tappers ( the largest being an ASP 1.80 fs in a quarter scale Christen Eagle) and never had any bother. the only thing I do is use the largest diameter self tapper I can get through the engine lug and drill the mount with the smallest pilot drill I can get away with

Thread: what grass treatment do you use?
27/04/2018 18:03:40

it's a real pain. We have a small strip loosely fenced off in a field with about a dozen or so sheep and goats and 3 horses. The farmers allowed us to electrify our fence which keeps the horses out. Can't do much about the goats and sheep though. My only suggestion for the above picture is hand launch or bigger wheels

26/04/2018 20:48:25

you could try more sheep )

Thread: DJ 85 petrol engine, do you have one and how do you rate it
24/04/2018 18:39:15

Im looking for anybody that has a DJ85, I'd be interested in how you rate it.

please don't send links to web posts as its owners opinions I'm after

Thanks

Thread: Possible interference from petrol engine ignition systems on 35MHz?
23/04/2018 18:24:38

Apologies I should add it's the same 35mhz PCM receiver in the Eurobat which was fitted on recommendation of the engine supplier

23/04/2018 18:04:53

Whilst I'm no expert, if it's any use I've been running a zdz 40 in a falcon aviation Eurobat on 35mhz for 12 years with no issues. Initially on a futaba ff9 and more recently on a Futuna 12z.

the only advice I'd offer is keep all the ignition, power and Ariel wiring as far apart as reasonably possible (not sure if this would make any difference but I felt it was a sensible step)

Thread: flaps
19/04/2018 21:06:54

Bit of a pain, but I agree with the others, time for the sanding block and make the flaps fit

Thread: The 2018 Transmitter Survey!
12/04/2018 19:18:20

Futaba 12z for me

Thread: Wot4 IC or Seagull40 IC
29/03/2018 18:18:38

You can't beat ic, nitro wins over wiggly amps any day )

Thread: Old plan wanted
03/03/2018 18:58:16

if you haven't already take a browse through www.aerofred.com they've 20,000 plus plans many from the mags

Happy Browsing

Thread: 35mhz 12z tx and R5114dps rx freq changing
20/02/2018 16:02:31

Success !!!! , batteries all charged and good, fully extend receiver aerial and lay it across the tx aerial. when you hit the freq change/are you sure? the tx makes a few tring noises. on the 3rd tring switch Rx on and watch the red led, it should have a constant heartbeat flash. once tx stops select end and switch txt to transmit, and it's all good to go. couple of things I don't understand only works if I switch Rx on during third tring. if you only get a single flash from receiver led then it's not going to change. I accept I've fluked a solution but it works.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!