By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for alex nicol

Here is a list of all the postings alex nicol has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Closed loop...
23/02/2020 19:08:17

Hi John,

As with above suggestion, do the control wires touch at the crossover point and are they insulated?

If they do touch I'd suggest a slight vertical offset to avoid this. Also if they have been touching is there any evidence of chaffing.

If you reduce the size of the servo arm can you achieve a straight cable run?

Good Luck

Alex

Thread: On a lighter note
31/01/2020 13:38:32

If you want really horrible try the Leyland Maestro clubman diesel ......... that'll trump the Astra in the horrible stakes any day of the week

Thread: Most flown model
27/01/2020 13:47:19

Major Senior moment today 1'6d is 7.5p in new money

27/01/2020 13:45:44

Correction, poor memory Maricardo above on left was built 2009/10 ish. The one on the right was defo early 70's, the plan is pre decimal and cost the princely sum of 1'6d ( 15p in new money)

27/01/2020 13:40:19

Maricardo on the right was built early 70's and still flying today. it's a bit 'Triggers Broom' New nose (due to fuel soak age) and a freshen up/minor refurb Fuselage recovered. The Maricado on the left was built with the RCM&E feature mods early 90's also still flying today.

maricardos.jpg

Thread: First generation acrowot tail fin
22/01/2020 10:55:11

Agree with above, epoxy the fin back on and make sure it is straight. If you have the other broken bits glue them back in and it'll be fine. Alternately if you don't have the broken bits make a rectangular block from some very soft 1/2inch balsa sheet, carve and sand it to fit and you'll be good to go. (speak to clubmates somebody will more than likely have a bit of scrap balsa that'll do the job and should be able to give you a steer)

Thread: Just Curious
21/01/2020 16:31:55

To bring this back on topic.

I fully appreciate there may be copious amounts of reasons why or why not any checking has occurred.

The only answer I'm looking for is has anybody had a visit to check CAA compliance and if so how did it go?

21/01/2020 14:08:15

Hi Don,

I get what you're saying and fully appreciate our Boys in blue are underfunded and under resourced etc but that's another can of worms.

My thinking is unless somebody does something remarkably stupid in the vacinity of an airport then as things stand despite all the threads on here, in general we should pretty much be left alone. In the grand scheme of things I think we'll be no more than a very tiny blip on the radar

I was just curious as to see if any checks had been actually been carried out.

21/01/2020 11:39:19

This is just pure idle curiosity on my part with absolutely no desire to add to the extremely long CAA threads.

My question is, since the 'go live' of the CAA drone regs, has any club had a visit from the Local Constabulary to check compliance?

If so how did it go

Thread: Aileron horns for Wots Wot
20/01/2020 20:08:26

I had similar with a flair Christen Eagle, you don't need special control horns

Use ordinary horns, reverse them ( holes to the t/e end) and fit them on the aileron t/e as close to the end as you can, fit the link rod to the bottom hole on both horns and trim off the excess control horn

(hole nearest the horn locating screws)

Cheers

Thread: Recommendations please
20/01/2020 15:17:08

Gents,

Thanks for your responses. My current set up is an old Fuzzy logic charger powered from an old 12v car battery.

The flight packs are 2600mah which I charge at 700ma and it takes approx 3.5hrs. The reason for my question is occasionally I may take a couple of Petrol models with me and I was looking for a reasonably quick/simple way to charge 2 ignition packs and 2 Rx packs.

By quick I mean 3.5-4hrs ish

19/01/2020 19:24:27

I'm looking for a fast charger capable of charging multiple 4.8v & 6v rx flight packs (nimh)

Is there any such reasonably priced item out there you'd recommend.

Thanks

Thread: Cheaper or more expensive.
19/01/2020 11:22:14

With regard to the points above we could all waste lots of time we'd never get back debating them but I guess the answer is nobody really knows and we'll just have to "suck it and see"

To get back on topic, RC sets aside, its more expensive.

18/01/2020 21:30:03

If you're of the school that buys everything new, then I'd say more expensive. Having said that one of the good things about the hobby is you can spend as much or as little as you like and it can be relatively inexpensive if you shop around in the 2nd hand/swap meet market place.

Thread: Do you love some of your engines so much you don't fly them?
17/01/2020 09:35:14

I'm firmly in the enjoyment through use camp. All ic ( glow and petrol). The only engines I'd admit to a little sentimental attachment are from my control line days in the early 70's namely a Super Tigre G20/15 and a Rossi 15 diesel. Unfortunately both are way past their prime ( completely clapped out ) and will never power anything again but I just couldn't bring myself to dispose of them and they reside in the bench drawer wrapped in an oily rag.

Thread: HobbyKing covering
16/01/2020 14:22:05

Have you tried Rapid RC for covering, I've used theirs and didn't find much difference between it and the HK stuff.

Thread: What size model?
15/01/2020 20:27:40

For years I've been flying general sports models 46 to 53 powered, some plan built and some artf.

A while back I acquired a Falcon Aviation Eurobat ( 84" span ) powered with a ZDZ 40cc petrol unit and in my opinion this flys better than the 46 - 53 sports stuff. That said there's a lot of fun to be had with the smaller planes, variety's the spice of life as they say.

The current project on the bench is a scaled up 84" span version of Mike D's Rival for an ASP 1.80fs, which, fingers crossed, will give me the best of both worlds.

I'd like to see more 40 size sports models scaled up.

To get back onto the thread topic, for me typically model size is circa 58" or 84" span.

Thread: Upgrading Windows7 to Win10 for free
14/01/2020 11:09:55

Could be worse, you fit all 18 screws and still have holes left over !!!!

Thread: Can Superphatic glue go off?
12/01/2020 11:10:34

For what it's worth, I'd say if you've tested it and if you're still not confident the only real answer is bin it. Then you have to live with the "have I just binned a fully serviceable item" doubt ( Better that than finding out the hard way that it had gone off)

Thread: I hope to assemble a laser cutter/engraver
08/01/2020 09:15:03

Hi Erfolg

The instructions supplied with mine are pretty basic as well, albeit they are in a high quality glossy booklet.

The construction isn't exactly complex and there are a few videos on YouTube if you're really stuck, the area I feel is lacking is software installation guidance.

With regard to cutting speed, not important as its hobby use only.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!