By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for alex nicol

Here is a list of all the postings alex nicol has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: I hope to assemble a laser cutter/engraver
07/01/2020 16:26:44

I've just bought an Alfawise C30 2500mw bed size 40 X 45cm and have yet to assemble it.

ive decided to build it by the book to begin with as my knowledge in this area wouldn't fill the back of a postage stamp at the minute.

So watching with interest

Thread: Maricardo - tank size
30/12/2019 19:49:02

The blue and yellow one was built about 15 years ago with a Slec yellow tank and Irvine 53 upfront it has the no dihedral and larger control surface mods the other is bog std off the original plan

maricardos.jpg

Thread: C.A.A Reg number ,inside or outside ????
28/12/2019 20:38:01

The thing is, because of the naming of this whole debacle, public perception is it only applies to drones and I'd lay odds that 99.9% of the boys in blue think the same.

Thread: What make is this
21/12/2019 20:20:52

Doesn't matter what make it is, it'll never fly

PS is it electric or ic )

Thread: From one simple question to chaos
21/12/2019 20:16:35

Thread's developing nicely................ Any guess's as to how many pages it'll go to

21/12/2019 16:24:57

IMHY far to many keyboard warriors combined with the snowflake society in which we all live and the ability to interpret emails in a completely different manner in which they're written.

PS, bet this turns into a lengthy thread

Happy Posting to all

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
21/12/2019 11:43:53

Let say first of all I don't mean to offend and fully appreciate the time and effort our organisations have put into getting this to where it is but does anybody else feel this subject has been done to death and is becoming as tiresome as B@#%it

Thread: Orchestra on your patch
20/12/2019 00:08:38

One for the helicopter guys

Flying without Wings (Westlife) or for the pylon guys we could have Bat out of Hell

Thread: how to get the plan onto the wood!
19/12/2019 21:32:39

I know what you mean, at least Turpin wore a mask ) Unfortunately that was the going rate from a few places, if you look at the model retailers who supply plans they're well over £10 per plan ( and that's just the .46/.50 size sports models), hence the reduce to 4 A4 pages and do it yourself. Cheap ream of A4 125 plans for a £1 plus ink works out at a few pennies per plan.

That said I'm just about to dip my toe into the world of laser cutting, no paper and hopefully simpler transfer onto wood ............. that's after much gnashing of teeth and tearing of hair going through the CAD/Laser learning curve.

Happy Building

19/12/2019 20:19:30

All of the above methods work well and I guess it's just a matter of what works for you. With a straight edge (2 x 3ft steel rulers), set square, compass/divider I prefer to measure the plan and just transfer sizes from plan to wood.

The other thing I do which saves few pennies is reduce the size of the plan down to a size that'd fit on 4 pages of A4 and scale the sizes up and draw straight onto the wood ( saves the £10.00 for the full size plan) and let's me have a model size I want.

I have Mike Delacole's big easy on the building board just now scaled up from 66" span to 84" to suit an ASP 1.80fs which is in need of a home. Original plan from Outerzone, reduced to around 25%ish and then sizes multiplied by 3.74 gives me the size I'm looking for. The upside is a tree or two saved due to reduced paper usage .............excluding balsa trees that is !!!!!!!

I appreciate it might seem a bit over complicated but it works for me

Thread: Cheap Chinese Laser Cutter
14/12/2019 20:10:11

Thanks FF, I have a feeling a little help or a steer in the right direction may be needed and will also be very much appreciated.

Id also add, there's been a couple of suggestions that regular laser cutting and 3D printing topics would make good and popular magazine features .......... it'd get my vote

13/12/2019 17:47:47

Thanks for the info.

I'm looking to cut balsa, lite ply and birch ply up to a max thickness of 3mm.

It'll be light hobby use, ideally I'd like to be able to cut formers and wing ribs for plan and od builds.

I can foresee many evenings of gnashing of teeth and hair tearing ahead

12/12/2019 19:52:27

I've just taken the plunge and ordered an Alphawise C30 DIY kit and have absolutely no experience in cad or what software to use or even what works with what etc. Very steep learning curve ahead methinks

Is there an idiots guide somewhere that outlines the basics of how it all works

Thanks in advance

Alex

Thread: Help Needed for Kids Xmas Bike Modification
10/12/2019 13:02:49

Can't say I've ever heard that one before.

For what it's worth I'd be inclined to leave the pedals on as feet on pedals add to the stability of riding the bike.

Both of my kids learned to ride their bikes (many years ago) pedals on with no problems.

Thread: Foam Wing Cutter
26/11/2019 23:52:50

Just made and quickly tested a 48" bow, it cut nicely about the 20v mark, the set up is a bit crude but so far so good.

Unfortunately lack of foam stops play for now. I've ordered a 1200 x 600 x 300mm block. I've scaled up Mike D's Big Easy to 82" span and will give the wings and tail a bash once foam arrives.

I'll stick some plcs up shortly

Cheers

Alex

23/11/2019 15:18:44

Quick Update,

I bought a 24v 3a laptop type power supply with an adjustable output of 9 to 24v (about £8 on ebay)

The current bow is circa 33"with 0.5mm nichrome wire giving a resistance value of 7.8 ohms and giving a nice cut at about 15v. Next step is to extend the bow to around 44" and try again.

One question I do have, is what material do you find works best for cutting template

Thanks

Alex

Thread: Empire of the Sun P51 Mustang
23/11/2019 11:54:08

Hi Amy,

Looks like you've got quite a project on your hands. Im sure I'm speaking for a lot of the guys on here when I say, we'd really love to see a couple of pictures of your Mustang.

Happy restoring

Alex

Thread: Measuring Dihedral
17/11/2019 21:23:16

Ignore the Chilli Wind question, senior moment on my part

Alex

17/11/2019 21:20:29

Measure from the bottom of the thickest part of the tip rib to the desk. Also put one half of the wing on the desk and set the tip of the other wing to 2" from the desk, this will give you 1" under each tip.

Is it a Chilli Wind by any chance?

Cheers

Alex

Thread: Cheap Chinese Laser Cutter
14/11/2019 13:22:39

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the info, I guess it looks like I'll need to just do some more homework and take the plunge and 'suck it and see' as they say

Cheers

Alex

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!