By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Shaun Walsh

Here is a list of all the postings Shaun Walsh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cumulus resurrection
20/06/2019 16:18:47

dsc00494_lzn.jpgdsc00490_lzn.jpgdsc00485_lzn.jpgPhoto's from last night courtesy of a fellow club club member.dsc00480_lzn.jpg

Thread: Who said it would never happen in our lifetime
20/06/2019 10:39:02

Too true, humans are a virus that will eventually kill its host, pass the Soylent green please.

19/06/2019 22:33:54

OK, maiden flight after 40 years was this evening, it was a little breezy but decided to give it a go. Motor power was fine, needed a bit of down elevator under power and climbed away nicely. I had forgotten just how much space it takes to land, just keeps going without losing height, had to go around twice to land.

Waited for the wind to drop a bit and flew again, more height this time and just seems to keep on floating, again needed to go around for a landing but 6 feet off the ground the wind dropped and I think I stalled, went in like a javelin, buried up to canopy and tail in the air. ☹️

Expected the worst but after cleaning off the soil, no damage 😅.

So overall reasonably successful but it needs a lot of rudder for directional control and it's not a small rudder! Elevator control was fine COG OK, just need to finish the motor pod to make it cosmetically appealing.

Thread: cannot get it to work
10/06/2019 11:39:13

Don't like to state the obvious but have you read this bit in the manual?

This test ensures that the AS3X® control system is functioning properly. Assemble the aircraft and bind your transmitter to the receiver before performing this test. 1. Raise the throttle just above 25%, then lower the throttle to activate AS3X. CAUTION: Keep all body parts, hair and loose clothing away from a moving propeller, as these items could become entangled. 2. Move the entire aircraft as shown and ensure the control surfaces move in the direction indicated in the graphic. If the control surfaces do not respond as shown, do not fly the aircraft. Refer to the receiver manual for more information. Once the AS3X system is active, control surfaces may move rapidly. This is normal. AS3X remains active until the battery is disconnected.

What model number is on the receiver?

Thread: Drone harassment
07/06/2019 07:39:32
Posted by Doc Marten on 06/06/2019 19:47:35:
Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 06/06/2019 19:25:47:

The origanal question was about being photographed, I'm not sticking up for idiots but what's the concern about photography, I regularly use a camera and get people I don't know in photos and not one person has ever been bothered. Millions of people have camaras phones and take millions of photos often of strangers but no one complains about that, and before you say there invading your privacy take a look on Google earth where you can look in everyone's garden.

Is it the camaras or is it the multirotor (not calling them drones don't want to sound like the BBC) you are bothered about?

.....so someone snapping photos of you in your home using a long stick from the fence of your garden would be nothing to be concerned about or someone buzzing a quad around in your garden at low level?

Edited By Doc Marten on 06/06/2019 19:51:07

If I m in a public place then there is no "expectation of privacy" and anyone can take my photograph or video me with no repercussions but if I am in my back garden which is surrounded by a high hedge then I have some expectation of privacy and the law would not take kindly to any attempts to take a photograph or video. The issue is where might one reasonably expect privacy.

05/06/2019 15:22:13
Posted by Andrew Ray on 05/06/2019 13:58:18:

Similar to the Graupner Cirrus fuselage (or were they the same) with a different canopy. A friend was given a kit as a thank you from a good friend of his, very expensive at the time, a typical 100" kit was around £20 this was £100 back in the day.

That's right, the Cirrus and Cumulus shared the same fuselage (or very similar), I think the Cirrus had built up straight wings as opposed to the foam/obechi veneer swept wings on the Cumulus. Yes it was around £100, almost as much as a 4 channel 27 MHz rc set in the mid 70s, it was an 18th birthday present.

05/06/2019 12:59:02
Posted by Charles Smitheman on 05/06/2019 12:50:16:

Wow. I havent seen one of these for about 40 years. It looks in great condition.

That ABS fuselage might have embrittled with age, they were not the strongest when new. I hope your landings are gentle!

Charles

Fortunately it was stored in a cool dark loft in its original box so the fuselage seems ok, no light degradation of the polymer and almost no hanger rash on the wings and tail although I am pretty sure I had to repair the rudder in the 1970s when someone else's model landed on top of it.. Was the fuselage ABS or nylon?

05/06/2019 11:03:30
Posted by GeeW on 04/06/2019 21:21:32:

would try launching with only a low power set and then slowly open up the power. My Cumulus awaits its turn, but very interested in a removable power pod

I was very lucky to get hold of an original unused power pod kit.I could scan the ply motor mount and the aluminium supports if you want to reproduce them for your cumulus. Send me a PM if you are interested.

04/06/2019 13:48:00

dsc_0291[1].jpgdsc_0293[1].jpgAlmost finished refurbishing my 45 year old Graupner Cumulus 2800 which hasn't flown for 40 years.

It was stored in its original box in my mother's loft and was in pretty good condition when we found it.

I decided to add the motor pod option and found unused original parts on ebay but with electric power rather than the OS 10 it was originally designed for.

Work completed so far:

New servos fitted (Spektrum 5030) and Spektrum 4 channel receiver, the original equipment was a Sprengbrook 4 channel receiver and two of their full size linear servos.

Old balsa pushrods replaced with carbon fiber tube.

Aerostar 30 watt esc fits nicely under the servos.

Front former had to be cut away to accommodate battery tray.

Turnigy 2217 1050KV motor mounted as a pusher in order to be able to fit a bigger prop, 8x6 pusher.

COG correct with Turnigy Graphene 2200 battery installed.

Just need to test fly before doing the cosmetic stuff, weight 1600g, thrust 900g with motor pulling 17 amps.

Everything worked ok when I did a test run of the motor whilst holding the model, rudder response under power was fine producing plenty of yaw force and down elevator pushed the nose down fine but up elevator was not so good making me think that it will be hard to get it to climb under power. The question is do I need to alter the thrustline of the motor to overcome this?

img-20190604-wa0000[1].jpeg

Thread: So what is really the truth then CAA ?
03/06/2019 14:46:12

In several cases, we have shown that the object observed was, in fact, a manned aircraft in the distance, not a drone at all.”msegf.jpg

Thread: Tiger moth models
29/05/2019 14:26:25

I agree with previous postings, first find one or more local clubs, check them out and ask about availability of instructors, costs etc.

Choose a club and find out what they recommend to learn on, electric or IC, what brand of RC equipment they use to train and what model the instructor recommends. If you are lucky they may have one or more club trainers for you to try using a buddy box before committing to purchase gear.

Then it's down to practice and perseverance.

Thread: Gutted!
24/05/2019 22:35:52
Posted by Percy Verance on 24/05/2019 20:16:19:

And I was thinking more how you'd feel once it had actually left your hand after that hand launch...........

Years ago we had a bloke in our club whom claimed to be good at hand launching models. His technique had one tiny flaw. He'd hold the model over his head (fine), run like the wind (fine again), then he'd stop before actually throwing the model.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 24/05/2019 20:19:13

A bit like the pedestrians who run into the road until they are directly in front of your car and then slow to a walk crook

Thread: Successfully changing the AA batteries for the Lithium Ion pack in the spectrum DX6G2!!
16/05/2019 08:20:19
Posted by Brian Hammond on 15/05/2019 20:14:01:

I used a H K 4000ma 2cell Lipo easy to fit and forget.

Same here, the HK pack lasts ages and takes 15 seconds to fit.

Thread: IT help required please
14/05/2019 17:10:06

would one laptop be an apple device and the other a windows laptop?

Thread: The thread for your subscriber questions and queries **please do not start a new thread**
04/05/2019 16:36:31

Thanks Beth, much appreciated.

04/05/2019 15:33:45

I have just downloaded the latest digital RCM&E and, as sometimes happens, one if the pages failed to load properly, it appears as a page of random colours with a 0 in a black box.

Is there any way to get the viewer to delete the edition and re-upload it

Thread: Aircraft grade Plywood?
30/04/2019 19:03:17

Sizes are large and so delivery expensive

30/04/2019 19:00:38

https://www.aircraftplywoodandtimber.co.uk/birch-plywood.html

How about that?

Thread: CAA registration consulation
30/04/2019 18:13:51
Posted by Broken Prop on 30/04/2019 17:25:50:

They will probably want to know if you are LGBT.

Edited By Broken Prop on 30/04/2019 17:26:44

50 years ago LGBT was a fancy sandwich.crook

Thread: I know that this is a long shot but...
30/04/2019 16:36:50

If I am right in thinking that the size limits for 2 stroke engines is 0.35 cu in, how about a PAW 35 (5.70 cc) TBR-R/C, British, a bit quirky in being a diesel and a classic design. Or would the power output be too low?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us