By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Shaun Walsh

Here is a list of all the postings Shaun Walsh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What is the minimum slope for a slope soarer?...
17/08/2019 18:22:12
Posted by Trevor on 17/08/2019 18:10:38:

Are your flatlands anywhere near the coast? It’s astonishing how much lift you can find off sand dunes on the right day.

Trevor

Very true Trevor, a stiff sea breeze can make a big difference.

17/08/2019 17:57:05

Never done it myself but I am pretty sure a PSS would need a decent slope and a stiff breeze, they weren't designed as gliders.

On a more practical note a glider with an electric motor would enable you to test just how small a slope you could use, if it's too small, a short burst of power will get you home safely and you can move on and try another location.

Thread: RCM&E Dec 2018 - Ruckus Review Update
16/08/2019 12:55:39

Fit a 3541-1070 motor from 4-max. I put one in my Riot it draws 37amps on a 12x6 and it will climb vertically on a 3s. Fits on original motor mount and is the correct dimensions for the cowl.

Thread: Electric Cars.
14/08/2019 14:21:01

Thanks for the link, some really interesting information

14/08/2019 14:05:44
Posted by Doc Marten on 14/08/2019 12:17:25:

What's going on here?

fb_img_1565086669594.jpg

The clues are in the photo.

Veefil is an electric vehicle fast charger.

Nullabor is in the back end of nowhere in South Australia.

I very much doubt that Nullabor is on the mains electricity grid, so the white box at the back is a diesel generator.

I doubt that the generator has to meet the same emission standards as cars.

Thread: Single servo ailerons
14/08/2019 11:04:47
Posted by Brian Cooper on 14/08/2019 10:59:40:

Using just one servo on the ailerons, especially on a model like the Acrowot, is very "old school".

It is far better to use two servos, and then dial-in expo and rates to suit. . . There seems to be a mental barrier about using more than 30% expo. . It is permitted to use more if required. . Just keep dialling it in until the correct "feel" is accomplished.

Also, by using two servos, they can be individually "tuned" to get the best out of the aeroplane.

B.C.

I agree about the mental barrier comment. I have a Hobbyking Hummer and have 50% expo dialed in on the ailerons and elevator, it makes it far easier to fly smoothly but I can still chuck it around like a mad thing if I want to.

12/08/2019 13:05:01

Gross overpopulation is the elephant in the room unfortunately.

Thread: Plug and adapters
11/08/2019 15:48:08

Think that you need one of these

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/6-x-parallel-jst-ph-charge-lead-for-e-flite-umx-series-2s-lipoly.html?countrycode=GB&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-b7qBRDPARIsADVbUbWfINfJ_Vdo3LA6QkejgQXglyGfR7-wjKDn1kSJPSCHhVUeg49kX8gaAmo2EALw_wcB&___store=en_us

11/08/2019 12:44:00
Posted by Cuban8 on 11/08/2019 11:14:04:

I was up in Derbyshire when the lights when out for half an hour or so. I have a feeling that there's more to this than what's being served up as an extremely rare event blah, blah, blah.

Just two stations go down at a time where demand is nowhere near its maximum and the grid partly falls over putting millions without power albeit for a short time.

It doesn't matter that demand wasn't at the maximum, supply going in has to match demand going out. An unplanned decrease in supply requires that demand has to be reduced until alternative generating capacity can be brought on line. My guess is that as soon as the problem happened they started up ocgt plant and pumped storage to make up the shortfall ASAP.

A relative worked for the national grid, he said that before privatisation critical components were replaced at the end of their designed service life, after privatisation the were replaced when they failed.

Thread: Hospitalised, my own fault - but ?
08/08/2019 21:04:30

If you have superglue in your field kit don't forget that it was originally used to close wounds in the Vietnam war. I suffered a kitchen cabinet door related injury to my head which bled profusely until my daughters partner, who is a cave rescue medic, glued it together 😜

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 08/08/2019 21:05:08

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 08/08/2019 21:05:58

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 08/08/2019 21:06:31

Thread: ALDI Multimeter for 99p !!!!
08/08/2019 15:53:20

Sold out in my local aldi crying

08/08/2019 15:23:50

But it says £9.99 on the box

Thread: Hospitalised, my own fault - but ?
08/08/2019 11:40:21

The comment about modern electric props having sharper edges than the ic props of yore is spot on.

Yesterday evening I managed to cut a finger on one as I was rummaging around in my flight bag looking for some tape. At first I thought I had left a craft knife open in the bag, but it was just a spare prop. Must remember to get some emery paper on it.

Thread: Binding to orange Rx
05/08/2019 17:22:20

I ordered a couple of 6 channel orange receivers they were rated as suitable for direct connection to a 2s lipo receiver battery but when I plugged them in the receiver light came on briefly then went off and after that all the receiver would do was get warm

Give hobbyking their due, there was no quibble about a refund, didn't even want them back.

Replaced them with lemon receivers which have worked well.

Thread: Prop failure
05/08/2019 12:07:38

How was the spinner attached to the backplate and crankshaft? Perhaps the frequent use of an electric starter was placing a lot of stress on the spinner cone leading to stress cracks spreading through the material, then, when you open the throttle centripetal force is too much for the cracked spinner and away it goes.

Thread: Latest Lemon DSMP/X 7 check Plus Stabiliser
31/07/2019 12:55:02
Posted by David P Williams on 31/07/2019 10:37:50:

I have one of these that I am going to fit in a HK/Durafly Tundra to help when it's breezy. I have a flap/ down elevator mix on the Tundra at the moment as it balloons like mad on lowering flap. Do I leave this mix on with the stabiliser or will the stabiliser sort it out? The attitude of the Tundra doesn't really change on flap deployment, it just rises rapidly, so as the stabiliser doesn't have any kind of height hold I guess it won't do anything. Have I just answered my own question?

From the quick guide to the Lemon stabilised receiver.

It is mandatory that any elevon (delta wing) or V-tail mixing take place in the stabilizer and NOT in the transmitter. Such mixing is controlled by the settings of switches J4 and J5, as shown in the illustration on page 3. Use of the transmitter for elevon or V-tail mixing is permitted only if stabilization is turned OFF at the receiver (switches J4, J5, J6 OFF). By contrast, other types of mixing, such as flaperons, aileron differential or aileron-to-rudder, are managed as usual in the transmitter. When this is done, switch J6 should be turned on to activate left aileron stabilization on channel 6 (AUX1). The Complete Guide provides a full discussion of this issue.

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 31/07/2019 12:57:24

31/07/2019 12:44:37

I have one in a Hobbyking Slowpoke and have been quite impressed. The first setting helps smooth out flight in gusty wind, you can see it working as the plane gets blown around. It also corrects for tail swing on take off. Never used the second, panic recovery, mode in anger but it does seem to work, you just have to ensure that you have taught the receiver what "level" is. On my first use of the panic mode the model flew with a slight left bank and a slight dive so I had to reset the gyros and now it works fine.

The only thing I might fult is that it takes a long time to bind with the transmitter when you plug the battery in.

Thread: Battery and prop sizing for second hand model
30/07/2019 18:16:29

500Kv is the motor rating in terms of rpm per volt at WOT so a 3S battery at approx 12 volts will give 6000 rpm and a 7S battery at approx 25 volts will give 12500 rpm. If you try to swing too large a prop at too high rpm you stand a chance of exceeding the current rating of either the motor or the ESC which is not good. That's why I suggested getting a wattmeter and testing prop sizes battery type and thrust generated. Putting a smaller prop with the 7S battery will reduce the current drawn compared to the larger prop. The current drawn at full throttle should not exceed the capacity of the motor and ideally there should be some headroom on the ESC so if the motor is rated at 60 Amps you should use an ESC rated to 80 Amps just to add a safety margin.

I am in the process of uprating an ESC in one of my models as the uprated motor I fitted draws 37 Amps through a 40 Amp esc and it gets rather warm if I use full throttle too much, a 50 amp ESC is on the way.

30/07/2019 14:24:31

The Black Horse Cub seems to require a motor in the range of 1000 to 1800 watts but is a bit heavier.

I think that the previous owner may have added and extra 0 and that the motor is a 4260 500Kv in which case prop sizes range from 13x6 to 15x8 for 7S to 3S batteries.

See **LINK**.

Try a 14x6 or 14x8 with the different batteries and measure the wattage and thrust for the optimum solution.

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 30/07/2019 14:27:21

Thread: Old Fuel
29/07/2019 15:19:52

There's no fuel like an old fuel..................................

I'll get my coatblush

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Addlestone Models
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us