By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Shaun Walsh

Here is a list of all the postings Shaun Walsh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DW Hobby Space Walker
26/03/2020 15:51:28

The cutting is pretty good, some areas where the laser hasn't quite gone all the way through the wood. The problem with the motor mount is that everything lines up whichever way you build it and there is no indication on the instructions that would make you aware of this.

26/03/2020 14:56:18

Just started this kit which was purchased with motor, servos etc from 4-Max, excellent service as before.

Started by assembling the motor mount and have discovered that it can be put together in two different ways, the right way and the wrong way! When assembled correctly the mount has built in right thrust, if you swap the side members over and turn the top piece upside down it comes out with left thrust. Fortunately I made it the right way as I didn't notice until the glue was setting and there is no indication of this in the instructions.

Also, the 4-max recommended motor is too large to attach to the ply motor mount, see pic. Have contacted 4-Max and George is looking into it. I will probably have to fit a 2836 motor in place of the recommended 3535.p1000268.jpg

Thread: DW models Astro Junior .
25/03/2020 10:58:26

Looking good, I should be receiving a Dancing Wings Space Walker plus associated parts from 4-Max today.

Thread: Manual for a three year old DX7
22/03/2020 13:51:52

Link below, download to your phone and you can consult it when you go flying if needed.

**LINK**

Thread: An Isolation Mass Build?
19/03/2020 20:00:57

Here's a suggestion for an isolation mass build, medical ventilators.

The government send you the parts, you build nine and the tenth you get to keep yes

Not sure how Boris would react when he found out that the cases were made of balsa and light ply, covered in iron on film and they all ran on 3S 2200 Lipo batteries.

Thread: A KIT for an electric glider
14/03/2020 19:15:21
Posted by Sheepish on 14/03/2020 18:15:13:

Hi

Take a look at any of the F3 res electric kits. The kits are exceptional and all the designs fly well.

if you want a bigger glider look at the F5j introduction or inside.

Try the hyperfilght web site.

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
14/03/2020 19:10:53
Posted by GrahamC on 14/03/2020 16:42:53:

Its much much more dangerous than flu. Lots of people have some immunity to flu and so it doesn't spread anything like as quickly as this is. None of us have any immunity to this, Yes most of us will be OK if we get it, but some will get very sick indeed and if the NHS gets too busy....

We should certainly put in place sensible safeguards to protect members.

1. Stand further apart to chat. At least a metre preferably more. Chat crosswind, not upwind / downwind

2. Don't shake hands and avoid physical contact with other members.

3. Don't go to the field if you have a new cough of fever. Stay at home for seven days.

4. Use sanitizer or wipes containing Benzalkonium Chloride to wipe down and borrowed equipment / buddy boxes etc before and after use

5. Clean your hands when you get back in the car and when you get back to the house.

And don't close the flying field. This is going to take at least a few months to peak and decline. There are other problems that will emerge for those who are isolated for the long term. We (well most of us) are social creatures. Being able to get out to fly safely really could be a life saver over the next few months.

I agree with most of this but BKC (Benzalkonium Chloride) is an antibacterial and not effective against a virus, you need high alcohol concentration, bleach or concentrated surfactants to denature the proteins in a virus (or elevated temperature but I wouldn't recommend boiling your hands).

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 14/03/2020 19:13:53

Thread: Insanity seems to be setting in
14/03/2020 13:05:04

Just got back from the supermarket, not panic buying, just food for the next 3 days. It was interesting to see that there was a very large section, that had obviously contained baked beans, that had been stripped bare.

Come the apocalypse, A&E staff will need gas masks.

Can the virus be passed on by farting?

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
13/03/2020 13:46:46
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 13/03/2020 13:41:08:
Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 12/03/2020 18:20:10:

Our Club has just decided to close the field until Easter in view of the Corona virus outbreak.. Given the majority of club our members are of a certain age and a number have health issues of some kind or other, I can't disagree with that decision too much. Better safe than sorry and the weather is not exactly conducive to model flying anyway.

Utterly ludicrous. Shutting down the club for this reason is just panicking. As long as you don't go around licking each other on the flight line you should be fine.

Damn, you can't beat a good licking

13/03/2020 13:08:51
Posted by kc on 13/03/2020 11:46:37:

Clubs and especially BMFA need to consider that if the prophets of doom ( I nearly typed profits of doom- a real Freudian slip!) are correct then club membership will decline sharply.

But lets hope it is just a massive overreaction just like the Year 2000/ Milleniium bug thing. ( massive precautions for something that never really happened, that nobody under 20 nowadays will understand )

The reason that the Millenium Bug had little effect was because of the huge amount of effort taken to rewrite software to overcome the problem not because it wasn't a problem.

Thread: Thinning Araldite
13/03/2020 13:04:32

Many years ago, prior to the commercial availability of wood hardening products, my late father in law (an industrial chemist) made a very successful product for his own use by dissolving equal quantities of araldite epoxy and hardener in acetone. It was every bit as good as the later commercial products and was water thin.

Thread: Bind to a second Model
12/03/2020 05:28:19

Assuming that each aircraft is set up in the tramsmitter memory as a different model the transmitter will remain bound to both receivers, you just have to swap between models in the transmitter memory.

Thread: Insanity seems to be setting in
11/03/2020 18:25:23

I presume that's fine grit for most days and coarse grit for weekends?

11/03/2020 16:21:27
Posted by john stones 1 on 11/03/2020 14:20:06:

Very good Gary, please no Peter Andrex links. crook

He tried but couldn't retrieve any.

11/03/2020 16:20:17
Posted by Eric Robson on 11/03/2020 14:13:31:

I suspect Lou Rawls hit a few bum notes in his time!

You've got a cheek but your comment made me crack up.

11/03/2020 10:33:58
Posted by i12fly on 10/03/2020 22:13:42:

Remember newspaper as bog roll when I was a lad. My dad told me best way for using it was to crumple it up then open it out, it was a bit less harsh on delicate parts.

Oh, and it was best kept outside under cover like in an outside loo so that the paper was slightly damp -much less harsh on delicate parts

Edited By i12fly on 10/03/2020 22:14:36

So do I, most newspaper was recycled either as toilet paper or as chip wrapping paper but never both in tandem, had to draw the line somewhere!

Does anyone remember Izal toilet paper, the concept of greaseproof paper for toilet use was novel. Many years ago my wife worked for the Post Office (before BT was split off and privatised) and the Izal style toilet paper was marked "property of HM Govt" on every sheet but I don't think it crossed anyone's mind to steal it!

11/03/2020 10:27:45
Posted by Erfolg on 10/03/2020 20:31:19:

I think there was a piece of sponge involved. It has been suggested that it was shared with the neighborssad

Hence the expression to get the "unclean" (expletive removed to comply with forum rules) end of the stick when inadvertently taking hold of the sponge end..

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 11/03/2020 10:28:30

Thread: Nano Tech Cels
08/03/2020 10:23:51

What voltage, current and capacity do you need.

Thread: electric to oily motor conversion
05/03/2020 13:37:50

If it had a brushed motor/Nicad power system originally then I would hazard a guess that there should be room for a brushless/ Lipo setup which would be cleaner and quieter and would also allow you to regulate power and go through a number of power/glide cycles rather than climb until you run out of fuel then glide down.

Thread: Eflite UMX Timber
29/02/2020 11:19:38

Ready made charging lead here.

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us