By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Kit Durham

Here is a list of all the postings Kit Durham has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: EP - Coupe by Andy Reid
12/02/2019 10:41:14

Many thanks for your reply.

I have spoken to Doolittle Media, they say they only have the reduced plan in their database and it will print out same quality as the magazine copy.

Something might turn up 😳

Best wishes.

11/02/2019 12:40:58

Looking at a back issue of Radio Control Model Flyer (June 2009) I have been taken by a free plan design called EP - Coupe by Andy Reid. Unfortunately the free plan is reduced and the printing is so blurry it will not enlarge well at all.

I cannot find an alternative copy online, Outerzone does not have a copy.

Does anyone know where I could acquire a copy or if Andy Reid is contactable?

I will of course reimburse copying and postage charges if anyone can help.

Thanks

Thread: Mini Tyro Tailplane
26/01/2019 19:17:45

PercyPosted by Percy Verance on 26/01/2019 19:04:19:

Hi Kit ( great name for a model plane builder)

If it's the same type of construction as the standard Tyro, then the "ribs" are simply strips of balsa, glued at pre-determined positions on the tailplane and sanded to nothing at the leading edge, and sanded to the elevator thickness at the trailing edge. In the middle where they meet the tailplane spar, they'll be the same thickness as the spar. It's much more straightforward than it sounds, and isn't in the least bit daunting. Use fairly soft strips of balsa for the "ribs" and you'll find it takes just a few strokes of the sander to get each one to the right profile. They don't need to be micrometer accurate, but just be sure to check for any protruding bits before you cover the model.

Arm yourself with a Perma Grit sanding strip, and it'll turn the job into a pleasure..........

You couldn't really make a of ribs up first Kit, because the thin ends would be far too delicate to handle. It's a job that is far easier done after they are glued in place.

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/01/2019 19:06:21

Hi Percy

Thanks for the advice, I have a better 'picture' of the process now.

26/01/2019 18:59:13

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 26/01/2019 17:52:31:

Have a look here, Kit.

It was a long time ago but I don't remember too many problems. I'd think - just go at it carefully and take your time.

Wow, great thread, so many neat ideas.

Many thanks.

26/01/2019 17:35:40

Hi all

Am building a Mini Tyro and am not confident over the tailplane. It appears that the whole thing has to be sanded to the correct profile and I am not at all sure how to do this.

I wonder if anyone else has perhaps made up a set of ribs instead?

Many thanks in advance.

Thread: Spruce or Obechi for a wing spar?
21/06/2018 08:57:47

Thanks all, all advice much appreciated.

I think it will be spruce.

Regards.

Kit.

20/06/2018 09:34:26

Hi all

Building a Q-Tee, I have heard that oils contained in spruce can cause glued joints to fail over time so am wondering as to whether obechi might be a better bet.

Thanks

Chris

Thread: 36" Tomboy Motor, Esc & Prop Selection
23/05/2018 10:08:40

Many thanks for your help chaps, I am sure I will have many other questions as the build progresses.

I had forgotten how therapeutic balsabashing is 😊

Regards

Chris

22/05/2018 11:27:33

After a break of some 30+ years I have re-entered the world of aeromodelling, have reaquainted myself with flying via a foamie (Ares Alara). and now am looking to build a 36" Vic Smeed Tomboy.

Having enjoyed the hassle free electric flying, electric seems the way to go but I am finding it all very confusing even after reading the beginners pages.

Could someone recommend a motor, esc and prop size, and if poss point me in the direction of a supplier, please?

Many thanks

Chris

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us