By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Dyke

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Dyke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Filling a Hole?
16/10/2019 18:04:40

Yes, that's true.

I now have more than enough ideas from your good selves to have a look at.

My thanks to you all for you very valued replies.

Roger

16/10/2019 17:05:05

Hi Stuart,

I haven't seen that one. I'll have a look at it. Thanks.

Roger

16/10/2019 08:33:05

Old Geezer: That sounds very encouraging. Thanks for that.

16/10/2019 07:25:29

Old Geezer: I never really thought of filling it with soft balsa. That's a good idea, thanks for that.

- : Thanks for the links, I'll have a look at them.

15/10/2019 21:47:38

Thanks for the replies and the info.

15/10/2019 20:27:44

Thanks for that. Do they have that sort of Gorilla glue in the local DIY?

15/10/2019 18:59:21

Hi All,

Recently, I encountered two large dings in the leading edge of my aircraft's wing each side of the fuselage about half way between the fuselage and the wing tip. The wing is foam with 4" of balsa sheeting on the front edge (top & bottom) where it is glued to the leading edge. The dings pushed the leading edge back about a inch or so and crushed the foam and balsa sheet. The dings are about 3-4" wide. I am making up a new piece of leading edge for each, but before I repair the sheeting I need to fill the hole left by the expired foam.

What is the best way of doing this? I do have a large block of foam at my disposal so I was thinking to shred some of this into the hole probably mixed with a little PVA glue. What do you reckon?

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Roger

Thread: Model Retrieval (or not)?
13/10/2019 19:09:41

Hi Roy,

Your experience is duly logged for the future. I'm glad you got your Chipmunk back.

Many thanks.

Roger

12/10/2019 19:35:13

Thanks Robin. Yes, I think that's a good way of putting it (almost uncontrollable).

Roger

12/10/2019 17:32:08

* * * * * * * * * Retrieved * * * * * * * * *

Went down the field again this afternoon with my accomplice, armed with all sorts of telescopic poles stiff wire, gaffer tape, and a 7 metre retrieval pole. By feeding these items up vertically and taping them all together a section at a time we finally managed to reach the plane's height. Very unwieldly to control though. With a great deal of effort and energy we finally got the fuselage to fall but the wing stayed put. Another 20 minutes or so and the wing finally fell too. Pretty serious damage but I am optimistic that with lots and lots of TLC it might just fly again.

Robin: Thanks for your good tips. I shall take them all on board.

My thanks to you all for your very valuable contributions. Very much appreciated.

Roger

12/10/2019 13:17:14

Charles: That's very encouraging. I currently do not know anyone who goes fishing but I like the idea. I may be going down to the field sometime this afternoon (if my accomplice is available) armed with all sorts of things. If I fail, your idea may be a part of my plan 'B'. Thanks for that.

12/10/2019 12:10:50

A long ladder would certainly help. We don't have such a thing and I don't even have a roof-rack on my car. Our field is quite remote.

12/10/2019 09:20:42

I love that story. I can just imaging all the perplexed faces. You wouldn't have this Indian gentleman's address would you...…. teeth 2 teeth 2 teeth 2

12/10/2019 06:44:52

PatMc, Stuphedd, Tom, John, and Robin,

Thank you all so much for your valued replies. I like the story about the 'axe'. The bow and arrow sounds feasible although it's been about 60 years since I made one of those, out of poplar tree branches as I remember. It's worth a thought though. I live in a very suburban area and have no contacts at all with a 'friendly' tree surgeon. My son had one about two years ago and cost him hundreds of pounds for quite a short time. Their time travelling to and from the site also adds to the costs of course. Then there is quite a walk (there and back) to the location with whatever equipment they want to take. All the ones that I find usually have elaborate web sites. I somehow can't see £20 cutting it.

11/10/2019 22:12:57

I am hoping that the wind will cause it to fall down further, but the way it is positioned it looks unlikely.

11/10/2019 21:53:16

Really, I'm heartened by that. Thanks.

11/10/2019 21:41:30

I had thought of that one, only I figured that the cost of the guys time there and back to the field and his time there would not be cost affective. I built the plane from a plan and accept it may be totalled. I am more interested in retrieving the battery, servos and radio equipment as they are only a few months old (probably about £80 - £100 worth). I have also offered a £20 reward to anyone else who fancies having a go at retrieving it.

11/10/2019 21:22:57

Hi All,

Thursday morning I had the unfortunate experience of an unscheduled arrival in the top of a big oak tree. I found the engine on it's mount underneath the tree but it took me about a further 20 minutes to locate the remains of the plane itself. It is embedded within the small branches right at the top of the tree to the one side. I estimate that it is about 40 - 50 feet from the ground and at 74 years old I am a bit old to climb it. The club retrieval pole we have is 7 metres long which of course is way too short.

Is it destined to stay there forever or is there some clever way that it may be retrievable?

Your positive suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Roger

Thread: Small engine tick-over
03/09/2019 20:48:16

Hi Jon,

I am now reassured that the figures I'm getting for this little engine are fine. Thanks for the info.

03/09/2019 20:13:05

Hi Malcom,

Thank you very much for the info and benefit of your experience.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us