By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Dyke

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Dyke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unexplained crash
23/08/2018 13:12:12

Hi Alex,

Just one more before you go. I'm a newbie on here and as a retired electronics engineer was very interested in your thread. For what it's worth I too would have your problem down the bad servo. As the motor starts to seize it will start to take a lot more current and as it seizes will be like a short across the battery. If there are any connections slightly loose, dirty, or slightly oxidised even, in the power circuit there will be an increasing voltage drop across that connection. This would lead to a reducing voltage being supplied to the receiver. So much so that at some point the receiver would fail to operate. At that point it may be unpredictable as to what the other servos would do.

This also ties in with the time period between switch-on and flying too as the servo would take the same time to heat up from switch-on to hot and seizing. I think your kit is propbably perfectly okay (no guarantees though).

Just my thoughts.

Roger

Edited By Roger Dyke on 23/08/2018 14:47:18

Thread: Which Radio Gear?
23/08/2018 07:26:47

Hi Onetenor,

Thanks for your reply. I do intend to stick with my 35MHz kit initially but as it's very, very old, and it did see a lot of service, I don't know how reliable it will be. I'm sorry for getting technical, but as a retired electronics engineer I know that certain electronic components age with time (especially electrolytic capacitors). This aging process can severely impair the operation of equipment. I'll see how it goes. It's a one step at a time thing at the moment.

Roger

22/08/2018 22:52:41

Hi PatMc,

I will certainly have a look. All this information is very new to me at the moment so need a little time to process it all. Thank you for you recommendation.

Roger

22/08/2018 19:31:11

Hi Sonny,

Thanks for giving me the benefit of your own experience. Much appreciated.

Roger

22/08/2018 19:22:40

Hi Cymaz and Don,

Many thanks.

Roger

22/08/2018 19:19:56

Hi RC Plane Flyer,

Interesting. I'll have a look.

Roger

22/08/2018 19:17:59

Hi Supertigrefan,

I agree. Once microprocessors get involved there's not much that cannot be achieved.

Roger

22/08/2018 13:23:25

Hi Robert,

I've not heard of Multiplex radio before. It sounds like you've had good service from it. I'll look into it. Many thanks.

Roger

22/08/2018 13:20:48

Hi The Wright Stuff,

I know that there is a technological step-change from the old style radios to the current ones but that does not really phase me. Before retirement I spent the previous 25 years designing computerised electronic test equipment for the motor trade including writing and testing all the software. What I have got to make my mind up about is what I 'actually' need for my purpose. I don't want to just throw a load of money at it to buy all the best gear if I am only going to end up using a 1/4 of it's capabilities. I will think about all the kind and useful replies I've had on this thread then when the time is right, make a decision. When I first attend the club field I shall be using my old 35MHz kit and a simple aeroplane and at the same time take note of what others are doing.

Roger

22/08/2018 09:21:47

Hi Ken,

People have been very kind with their information and replies. I do need to process it all now. Just for starters I have ordered two new batteries for my 35MHz Tx/Rx whilst I make my mind up on the 2.4GHz kit.

Roger

21/08/2018 22:36:55

Hi Cymaz,

With technology nowadays, I'm not surprised. Amazing.

Roger

21/08/2018 22:35:29

Hi Keith,

All of your points noted.

Many thanks.

Roger

21/08/2018 22:32:49

Hi MattyB,

Thank you for the heads up on Hitec and JR. That's worth knowing.

Roger

21/08/2018 22:30:10

Hi MattyB,

Thanks for you reply. I am not really that bothered about memory model as when I used to fly before it didn't exist (except on the most expensive). I always used to fly three very different models at the field with the same setup. The difference was in the mechanical throws of the control surfaces of the different models. I have been reading about all the virtues of the modern systems and they are fantastic (still don't make the tea though). I think that initially I may start off by using the 35MHz outfit I already have (with new batteries) after doing a full check out of course. Then graduate to the 2.4GHz system as I feel the need. I think the graduation may be soon as I am quite anxious to sample the new features that it offers.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and I will take them on board.

Roger

21/08/2018 19:10:02

Hi Brian,

Amazing. DX6 sounds good. Things have certainly changed so much in the last 20 years.

Roger

21/08/2018 19:07:31

Hi Jeff,

I've had a look at the FrSky conversion module. I need to digest it a bit to see what I'd be dealing with. Thanks for the info.

Yes 73. Still flying light aircraft so doing okay. Very lucky.

Roger

21/08/2018 19:02:47

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your recommendations. Can't do the nationals I'm afraid, I'm away the weekend.

Roger

21/08/2018 18:44:54

Hi Jeff,

I am absolutely blown away by all the very kind postings and having a job keeping up with my replies.

I'm 73 myself now so not looking to set the world on fire.

I've been trying to find out if there is a 2.4GHz conversion for the Futaba Challenger but can't find one. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place. Any idea where I should look?

Roger

21/08/2018 18:35:32

Hi Cymaz,

Many thanks.

Roger

Edited By Roger Dyke on 21/08/2018 18:37:36

21/08/2018 18:27:05

Hi David,

I will definitely have a look at the Spektrum Tx's. They do seem to be very much in favour.

Regarding updating, please see my reply to Supertigrefan above.

Roger

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us