By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Dyke

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Dyke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Which Radio Gear?
21/08/2018 18:12:54

Hi Jeff,

The 'Galahad' is amazing. It almost flies on it's own with it's outrageous dihedral. When I first learnt to fly with it, it used to take me a week to repair it again ready for another lesson the following week. I have just removed all the covering to give it a full inspection and repair in readiness for it's new covering.

Thanks for all the useful information. I will follow that up.

Roger

21/08/2018 18:07:20

Hi Supertigrefan,

You make a good case for staying with the 35MHz. My Futaba Challenger is probably 24 years old. In saying that, it seems to work fine apart from failing batteries (which I would expect). The reason I was thinking about 2.4GHz comes from once upon a time me being on 27Mhz before it was hijacked for CB Radio and my thinking was that at some point soon maybe 35MHz will also be pulled. I am not desperate to change but if I am to start spending money on my old 35MHz kit I may as well be putting it towards a 2.4 kit. I don’t know whether to take a punt on some new batteries just to see how it initially pans out. My local club uses both 35MHz and 2.4GHz. I might even go all electric sometime in the near future but that’s running before walking. I’ll have to see.

Roger

21/08/2018 12:41:57

Hi JM,

I've have been in touch with my local club and have been advised to attend the club field on certain afternoons as most times there may be no-one there. Also I have had a kind invitation from a committee member to meet with him and for him to show me around and have a chat. This I am going to take up.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Spektrum.

Roger

21/08/2018 12:37:20

Hi John,

Thanks for your info.

Roger

21/08/2018 12:33:53

Hi Jeff,

To answer your questions:-

1) The reason to go 2.4 GHz is basically to ‘modernise’. I know that I can still use my 35MHZ kit which I probably will initially.

2) I fly fixed wing only and nothing complicated. I still have a 67” wingspan aerobatic ‘Dalotel’ with a 60 engine fitted, a 58” wingspan sport/trainer ‘Sky Rider’ with a 40 engine fitted, and a 1973 Mercury ‘Galahad’ with a 15 engine fitted. All are a bit battle weary. The ‘Galahad’ for which I have a special affection was the first model I made when rejoining the hobby in 1973 after all these years from a lad. It was also the model that I learnt to fly with. I am just finishing it’s refurbishment ready for me to get back in the air once again. It is only 3 channel but will be good to ease me back in.

3) My budget certainly would not be to go headlong into the top gear. At the same time not right at the bottom either. I was thinking about sub £200 for Tx and Rx.

Roger

Edited By Roger Dyke on 21/08/2018 12:35:26

21/08/2018 09:25:13

Dear all,

Wow, what a response. I thank you all for your very informative and prompt replies. Fantastic.

Brian: Spektrum DX6. I will certainly have a look at that. Thanks.

Cymaz: I know people have their favourites. I suppose we stick with what we are comfortable with. I will have a look at the Futaba 2.4 6exa as you suggest. My old club has kindly invited me down for a chat and to have a look around. I will take them up on their kind offer.

Richard: The TX I have now is an old Futaba Challenger FP-T6NFK. I wouldn't have thought it updatable but I'll have a look. Another vote for the Spektrum DX6. I will have a look at it with the 7 and 8. I don't think that the Taranis system is for me.

Percy: I will have a look at the HiTec Flash 7 and the Graupner Hott series.

Stuart: Thanks for the tip. I will have a look into the FrSky modules.

BEB: Yes, the Taranis is not for me. Will look at the Spektrum 6e as recommended.

Jeff: Thanks for the tips reference the FrSky modules. I don't think that my TX would be suitable but will have a look. No problem with fitting as I am a retired electronics engineer.

Supertigrefan: Just fancy moving along with the times I suppose. I know that need to really (at the moment).

Dave: Thank you for your very valuable information. I shall bear it in mind whilst doing my looking.

Nigel: Thanks for the info.

Ron: Thanks for your valued opinion. Appreciated.

Percy: Interesting. I shall keep my ear to the ground on that one.

Ikura: No comment. Thanks for your reply.

Percy: No comment. Thanks for your reply.

Peter: Thanks for the information reference the Spektrum DX8. Interesting.

BEB: Thank you for your guidance.

Ken: Thank you for your advice. I will have a look.

RC Plane Flyer: That’s good news. Thank you for the benefit of your experience.

BEB: Thanks for your moderation.

Dave: A very interesting article. Thanks for the info.

The Wright Stuff: That’s very good to know I will have a look. Thanks.

My thanks to you all for your most welcome and informative replies.

Kind regards

Roger

20/08/2018 20:49:48

Hi All,

I am just getting back into RC model aircraft building and flying after a lay-off in 2004. My radio gear is a Futaba 6 channel 35MHz FM. I know that I can still use this gear but would like to update to 2.4GHz.

What would be your suggestion as new Tx/Rx, bearing in mind that I am a casual occasional recreational flyer (no competition or fancy combinations). I am looking for relatively budget but fairly decent quality.

Any thoughts please?

Roger

Thread: Warwick flying site on the race course
12/08/2018 21:24:14

Hi John, thank you so much for clearing that one up for me. My apologies for misinterpreting your information. I ask the question because I still have all my old IC equipment including 3 aircraft and thought that it would be wise to use this equipment to initially get back into the hobby before making the necessary investment needed for electric flight.

Thanks again.

Kind regards Roger

10/08/2018 14:13:04

I am thinking of taking up RC model flying again after a few years of lay off. I have been on to Warwick Council's website and cannot see anywhere where it say that we can't fly IC engines.

All I can find is (quote):-

"All models flown must be fitted with an appropriate silencer and operated in a manner which minimises the potential to cause noise nuisance. Flyers causing a noise nuisance to neighbouring residents may be asked to cease flying."

Have I missed something, or have the rules changed?

Roger

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us