By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Cooper 3

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Cooper 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hi From Bristol!
27/10/2018 00:02:47

Woodspring might be worth a look (nr Gordano). They do fabulous display days as well.

If you're thinking of going EDF / turbines in the future then they have that covered too.

Last I heard Beaufort have a waiting list (at least for their Badminton site)...

Regarding your Tx, I'm currently building up some RC test equipment - mainly for Futaba 35 MHz kit, so if the problem persists, I may be able to help. Got the builders in next week laying a new workshop floor etc. so, not for a while yet though.

As a first step, you could do a continuity /resistance check between the battery connector and the main RF board. If the Tx has been stored for quite some time with the battery in and connected, there is the possibility of some 'black-wire' corrosion. NiMh's don't normally suffer with memory problems but they do lose storage efficiency after a certain age.

Dave

Thread: Grumpy old git returning
26/10/2018 23:12:09

Hi Don /Nigel

I also fly full-size gliders - it's amazing how much they vary with different designs of airbrake / flap combinations.

Our club's strip is orientated more or less east-west and we often have a 90 degree x-wind, and, being on a hill-top has significant turbulence in north-westerlies. If using a model here it would be difficult to get a 'compromise' flap /elevator mix for all conditions.

For this reason, I'd have a basic mix available but have it 'switchable' as well. I know this is one more thing to fret over on a busy approach, but, maybe just use the mix on calm days to start with.

Having said that, I probably will use just the sticks most of the time !

Dave

Thread: Which part of building a new traditional balsa model plane do you enjoy the most?
26/10/2018 17:19:29

Three things :-

1. The smell of cellulose dope just before covering /repairing.

2. When things line-up exactly like dowels and screw holes etc. - doesn't happen very often for me but when it does it's magic !

3. Wings rocking gently as the vintage model taxies slowly over freshly-mown grass.

Simple things eh...

Dave

26/10/2018 16:55:50

Hi Nigel

Yes, a pitch-change with flaps is quite common. If you have a 'computer' Tx though you could mix in some down elevator to alleviate. this. Otherwise, it's a case of getting ready for it with the old thumbs !

I now do my 'aerial experiments' at about 300-400' giving me a bit of thinking and recovering time...

Dave

ps Some models will need different elevator trim with flaps depending on how the centre-of-lift moves about

Thread: Matador 60
25/10/2018 12:28:31

By Googling "Making the Matador 60 glow engine" - will bring up quite a few useful links (sorry was not able to post here).

There is one very good one from the "Model Engineers Workshop" site giving any build 'problem' areas - eg valve seats, left-hand crank threads etc. (These should not be a problem to experienced machinists but an amateur, such as me, may need to seek help !)

There is also some useful info' on expected performance figures for various prop sizes - 0.44 bhp for one build which should help with matching to a suitable size model.

There doesn't appear to be any 'exotic' materials or heat-treatment mentioned although one builder did report making the crankshaft out of a large HT bolt.

Dave

25/10/2018 10:15:02

Just a word of warning to others contemplating this build :

The gears that are used to drive the camshaft are no longer available from the supplier listed on the plan.

This info' came from another forum. The supplier listed, is, I believe "Moffats" and the gear wheel pairing is I think simple "spur" type. Someone else mentioned "APC" as an alternative supplier, but, I'd have thought that a trawl through Model Engineer magazine would produce something...

You could, of course, machine your own gears if all else fails but this would need some fairly sophisticated workshop tooling.

Dave

24/10/2018 23:08:51

Hello Nigel

Talking of STOL, I am just finishing a KK "Achilles" with some leading edge 'slats' of my own design. I converted it to RC and electric some time ago. I added a couple of extra wing bays to cope with the weight gain over rubber etc. It has lightweight Rx and servos working both the elevator and rudder via closed-loop 40 lb fishing line.

The tiny Rx is a signal-processor type and can 'memorise' the last command in the event of Tx signal failure....a friend maiden'd it for me and it needed a 2p piece on the nose to get the CG right. (Why do I always build heavy tails !!!).

The hope is that the slats will permit slower, high-alpha flight, although without the added benefit of flaps as well it probably won't rival a Feisler Storch. Still it's fun to experiment even though the parts for the conversion are really now too small and fiddley for my ageing fingers.

Dave

Thread: RC Test Equipment
24/10/2018 19:09:42

Thanks for the info' Pete - I'll get checking !

I'll dig out my old magnifying glass to check the PCB - have already tested the plug-in Xtal but will now check the fixed one too.

I got a X10 probe with the 'scope and I found an instruction manual on the internet.

Will call for a chat soon (I'm bound to miss something important !).

Dave

Thread: Matador 60
23/10/2018 22:22:22

Hi All,

Has anyone made a "Matador 60" four-stroke glow engine from plans ?

I have the plan(s) for one plus a box of raw materials. I'm currently looking for a small lathe with milling attachments to do the machining work on.

As the plan dimensions are all imperial, a friend has advised me to convert everything to metric...(thread forms as well ?).

I think a spreadsheet could do the conversion maths quite easily. Any tips on type of lathe etc.? Also, it would be good to know if there is a recommended order of work /special finishing requirements etc.

Thanks for any assistance,

Dave

23/10/2018 21:50:53

All, just been reading up on some RC theory - especially, Superhet Tx and Rx, AM and FM material. Many of the diagrams were a mixture of 'black box' IC's and discrete components, and, I was able to follow most of it.

However, in the concluding section on superhet Rx's it stated that the tuneable coils (Inductors) are quite fragile. The circuit diagram outside of the main IC 'block' contained an RF amp, Mixer transformer and an IF amp all with tuneable coils. It occurred to me that as my non-working Rx came out of a crashed fuselage (it hit a road in a vertical dive), one or more of these coils could be u/s resulting in no signal output ?

Now to the test.....would a simple continuity check across the coils' contacts on the pcb suffice to say if it is ok or not ? Would further tests be necessary eg a 455kHz IF injection at an appropriate point. What about the second IF stage (the Rx is dual conversion), or, perhaps, a check on the fixed Xtal maybe (I don't know how fragile these are) ?

Bit of a teaser for me - thanks for any pointers.

Dave

ps Got my 'scope working now. It would be good to use it to help solve this one !

20/10/2018 20:11:46

Thanks for your reply Gangster - I like simple solutions /methods, so there is definitely some food for thought here ! However, I suspect my current faults (dual conversion, 35MHz) may lie in the two IF stages ie signal in but no signal out. The hope here is that I can use the 'scope to trace where the signal path is lost.

BTW is your picture an actual Ripmax Gangster of certain vintage ?

Dave

20/10/2018 16:43:30

Hi Chris, Yes I already have a 'pocket' multi-meter that will do ohms, ac and dc voltage, light current etc. But one that would do RMS values, temp's and frequency etc. sounds very useful...we have a Lidl and an Aldi opening up in our area shortly so, will pop along and see what's on offer.

Dave

20/10/2018 10:34:33

Thanks for the info' folks. Will follow up all leads as suggested.

Denis : Yes, I remember diagrams and photos of the Rx's suspended in a sort of cruxiform from each corner in the "radio compartment".

Robert: Thanks, looks like a first class link - I have some 35MHz fault-tracing on the go now.

Geoff : My 'scope came free within the family, so if the CRT goes....Yes, at Rediffusion years ago I remember our Avo's being replaced with more modern one's. I should have grabbed one then before it went into the skip !!! The 'scope is a bench top model and not too heavy to move about. I think I spotted a manual for it on ebay....will have to investigate.

Dave

Thread: Single Channel Radio Control - RH Warring
19/10/2018 23:06:19

I remember the adverts for the MacGregor sets from my school days and was very tempted. I then went to our local flying site at Llandow, in South Wales, and saw a British Remcon set (nearly) in action. I think the Tx case was red and the owner said it was home-constructed from a kit. I was very impressed. Would this have been a reed set ?

Also around at this time was the RCM&E plan /kit for full proportional (35MHz FM ?). Again I was tempted but lacked the necessary electronics knowledge to 'have-a-go'.

In the war, my uncle was a Radar expert and, around the early fifties, he built a RC set with a powerful ground-based Tx. I know I tried lifting it once ! The model was a high-winger like a Junior 60 or Trenton Terror (I have a plan for that). A possible dream one day would be to fly the Trenton Terror with a home-constructed radio and four-stroke engine. (I have a plan for the "Matador" FS motor). Lots of plans - not much execution !

Need some more electronic test equipment and a small lathe...plus a fair dollop of experience.

Dave

19/10/2018 20:21:35

First oscilloscope arrived today - a Tektronix T912. Quite an old CRT model but with dual trace, storage and 10MHz bandwidth.

Next on the shopping list will be some good meters eg AVO 8 (analogue) plus a quality digital one. To follow, a spectrum analyser and frequency counter if anyone is 'unloading' ? These may have to come via kit construction if I can't afford a ready-made commercial unit.

As a first RC project, I quite fancy a single-channel valve Tx /Rx pairing. If anyone has a suitable circuit diagram, valves, pcb, instructions etc to assist with this I would be interested to hear from them...

Dave

Thread: A Very vintage vintage
16/10/2018 22:01:17

I think the KK "Phantom" and "Phantom Mite" were control-liners if I remember correctly...and, not with much dihedral (if any). Very nice engine /exhaust louvres though - do they do what it says on the tin ?

Dave

Thread: please explain
16/10/2018 21:27:41

Nigel, as well as Phoenix, I had a recent session with "Real Flight" at an exhibition near Bristol. It was also very impressive. Don't know about the cost, or, the available library of planes, but definitely worth a look...

Thinking back, my version of Phoenix (v2.0) was running under Windows Vista. I'm now on Win 10 so it may not work for me any more - I'll have to load it up and give it a test sometime !

Good hunting

Dave

ps the model shop I bought from in Poole was off a main road in one of those little industrial estates. It had a swinging sign at the roadside saying "xxxxmodels this way". Take your tranny with you just in case !

15/10/2018 23:37:03

Hi again Nigel

I use Phoenix - a really great sim'. I just dedicate one model in the Tx memory to it and it's all there including all the 'tweaks' I've made along the way. I needed a special lead for the PC : USB > Buddy box socket on the rear of the Tx casing..The model shop supplied all this and I think it was about £80 all in. The shop was on the south coast, near Poole, I think (lost the receipt years ago !).

Phoenix does seem to have gone a bit 'Heli' of late, but, there are still a lot of fixed wing models to choose from (100+ ?) . Also, it will tell you if there are any new models (or, it used to) when you log on.

The purchase option on their website points you to Horizon (UK still going ?) and there's a Support option too - email maybe...Not too many gliders but the ones they have (eg the Fox aerobatic) are quite good !

Worth persevering with I should have thought,

Dave

Thread: Home built turbines
15/10/2018 17:08:59

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Steve - that really helps....I forgot to mention 'ceramic' bearings and any special lubrication needs ?

For the rotational speed, you could try contacting the "Gas Turbine Builders Association". I don't think they have a website yet but seem very knowledgeable about model turbine design and development.

I have a contact name and email : James V.G Hill, jvghill@picojets.co.uk

Best regards for now,

Dave

Thread: Any suggestions?..
14/10/2018 23:23:42

David

The "Airworld" Hunter in October's BMFA News (JMA section) looks fabulous. I know it's a turbine job and will probably be too heavy at this size. But, a down-sized plan, laser-cut kit with carefully selected wood maybe ???

I must declare a strong bias here : ex- Fleet Air Arm, 738 Sqdn, where we had GA11's and T8's. I always liked the two-seater (faster than the single-seater and, the only jet, at the time, cleared for inverted spinning !).

Good hunting...

Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us