By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for conrad taggart

Here is a list of all the postings conrad taggart has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
17/08/2019 22:49:30
Posted by Mark Agate on 07/07/2013 08:51:42:

Just about to head out with this for the first time: Hobbyking SPAD XIII, 700mm span

LIke th elook of that !

Thread: ESC only works when increasing the throttle very slowly
25/07/2019 00:09:12
Posted by Martin Harris on 15/07/2019 11:19:12:

As the motor runs OK on a lower voltage, I would start by checking/experimenting with the motor timing. According to the manual, default appears to be medium but the instructions state that most motors respond well to the low setting...

What motor are you using? Do the manufacturers specify a timing setting?

Martin was on the money here. Tried changing the timing to the low setting as indicated by the ESC manual and it was the same. Then eventually tried the fast / high setting then hey presto worked like a dream. Odd to supply an ESC with a default fitting that is not typical (good old Overlander) or even worse where it is recommended as part of the standard setup for a Wot 4 and it doesn't run out of the box correctly with the recommended motor ! Once again thanks for the help and suggestions

Thread: hobbyking web site
22/07/2019 21:25:52

Just change to the European warehouse - better choice and free shipping, at least for now

19/07/2019 16:23:02
Posted by malmaz on 19/07/2019 10:12:52:

I ordered 2 x 6s lipos from the UK warehouse on Weds 17th, at £120 + £20 postage, supposedly 48hr,

Received an email this morning telling me of a delay in sending my items due to dangerous goods, This is what they say.

"Our sincere apologies for the delay with your order . We have made a follow up regarding this and was told by the warehouse that we are experiencing delays in shipment of orders that has dangerous item on it.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and delay. We are implementing measures to ensure that this does not happen again.

Your order will be picked up by GC distribution by Tuesday 23th July, 2019. and will be available for delivery within 3-5 days. Thank you for your understanding. Please also review your valid number given in this order as the Courier will contact you 1 hour before delivery. Failing to do so and not being able to sign for the parcel will result in re-delivery charges. If you intend to have your neighbor sign for your parcel, please also advise us so we may relay this information to our courier."

What annoys me is that exactly the same thing happened to me at the beginning of the year with 2 x Lipos, so they still not got it sorted when posting out lipo. At the end of the day I have paid good money to have them sent to me. angry

Weird - thought if you ordered more then £40's worth - delivery was free and tracked. Ordered stacks of batteries never paid any postage and always on time ! Perhaps the EU warehouse !!

Thread: Pushrod Transfer Links
19/07/2019 14:01:14

I recently bought a Wot4, built some 12 years ago but never flown, to learn to fly with (been using electric up to now) and it came with these linkages that link the push rod to the elevator and rudder

**LINK**

Is there anything that I could use as a direct replacement which is a bit stronger or an indirect replacement that would require minimal rework (I am not a builder - yet)?

The current linkages are almost crumbling - could be age related - but don't think they were that great to start with - hence the questions.

Thanks Conrad

Thread: ESC only works when increasing the throttle very slowly
16/07/2019 21:18:40

Thanks guys will give this a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on

15/07/2019 09:03:53

Alan - I have checked it and can't see anything wrong. Plus would this problem not prevent it working properly at a lower voltage (3 cell as opposed to its usual 4 cell battery) or when engaging and increasing the throttle very slowly ... where it appears to work as normal. Thanks Taggarc

15/07/2019 01:22:32

I have an Overlander 80 amp XP2 Esc fitted in a Wot4 which only fires the motor up properly if I increase the throttle very slowly. If I increase it at normal speed the motor simply stutters. The Esc also work properly on a lower powered 3 cell battery but not the usual 4 cell battery ! Any suggestions as to what the problem is or, even better, potential fixes greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Taggarc

Thread: Switching Brand
28/06/2019 20:10:50
Posted by Foxfan on 28/06/2019 18:44:03:

Thanks, gents, very clear and informative. I like the look of the Horus over the Taranis.

However Open Tx, companions, etc. is all Double Dutch to me, so maybe, if I ever need an 8 channel I'd better stick to something simpler!

So well recommended though...it HAS to be considered.

Can a complete computer phobe like me understand the programming? Is it worth somebody who only wants to fly a scale or sport model of smaller size smoothly and realistically going beyond a basic set?

And there's me hasn't even flown recently!

A good friend has recently gone down with a sudden and rather severe dementure. His family will soon want to sell off all his stuff and I wonder whether his last purchase, a little used Futaba 2.4 g set would be a good buy s/h. Or should I hold out for one of his many Lazer engines?

Martin

Good review here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFAaYz5vX94&t=2s

RE programming - have a look at the Painless 360 videos here and see what you make of it
https://www.youtube.com/user/Painless360/search?query=open+tx

Conrad

Edited By conrad taggart on 28/06/2019 20:12:44

Thread: hobbyking web site
27/06/2019 00:41:16

Was doing it to me over the last 2 days - now appears to be working again - although I have since cleared the cache in my machine

Thread: Ripmax ARTF stocks
13/06/2019 17:15:46
Posted by brokenenglish on 13/06/2019 15:41:57:

I don't see how Brexit can have anything to do with it.
How much modelling stuff does the UK import from continental Europe?
Very little indeed I think, and it's quite possible, even likely, that trading conditions with non-European countries could be improved without conditions imposed by the EU.

Will certainly be more expensive given the fall in the pound.

**LINK**

Thread: S6R receivers
29/05/2019 18:30:02
osted by Geoff Sleath on 29/10/2016 11:11:58:

You're probably right, BEB.

Having tried reloading the firmware and not getting any better results I'm tempted to put it away in the workshop rubbish bin. Instead I'll wait for a while and shove it in a drawer and forget about it. I suppose if something seems to be too good to be true, it usually is.

I can't find anywhere to download OpenTX ver 2.2. The most recent is 2.1.9. What concerns me is that loading ver 2.2 also means finding a compatible voice file but there was no reference as to where to find such a file. Luckily I have a 'scrap' Taranis to play with (the one I repaired after my charger disaster) so I'm not in danger of messing up my main one.

Geoff

I found these videos (the first six) particularly useful. Having said that I wouldn't bother again with this receiver - the effort in my eyes isn't simply warranted.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=s6r

Edited By conrad taggart on 29/05/2019 18:34:05

Thread: Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA
28/05/2019 15:22:42

Just had this sent to me today from the "Drones team" within the Department for Transport. Still sounds if they believe their hair brain scheme is efficient and enforceable, and they appear to rule out any mass enrollment / exemptions for members of the various flying associations ...

Thank you for your email of 9 May 2019 about the proposed registration scheme for drone users. I am responding to you as a member of the Drones Team at the Department for Transport. I appreciate your concerns. I would like to reassure you that I do support your hobby and recognise the strong safety culture fostered by the majority of model aircraft flyers and clubs.

The drone registration scheme is a top priority for the Government. It is just one measure in a package to address the safety and security challenges unmanned aircraft pose and will help enforcement agencies to tackle the misuse of such aircraft, alongside further Police powers to be introduced in the forthcoming Drones Bill.

Registration and testing are also European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) requirements as part of the forthcoming regulation on the operation of unmanned aircrafts (UAs) in the EU. The new Minister for Aviation is keen to ensure that all our key partners in the aviation industry that may be impacted by new policy or regulations are consulted. As well as the consultation my Department carried out in 2018 on a range of measures including registration, the Civil Aviation Authority’s (CAA) consultation on its charging regime for the drone registration scheme is important in shaping the development of the registration system charging structure.

Notwithstanding that, the principle that the Government set out in our January consultation response still stands. Any alternative approach for model flyers must be achieved without imposing undue burden on the state and the taxpayer, whilst also being efficient and enforceable, without compromising the integrity of the policy. A blanket exemption from registration and competency tests or having the associations register their members into the registration system, as suggested in many of the consultation responses submitted by model fliers, will not meet these criteria.

I understand that, prior to its charging consultation, the CAA has engaged with a broad range of users, including a significant number of model flyers (both at association level and individuals) during the user requirement phase and that model flyers will be involved in subsequent phases of development. The Minister has recently written to Dave Phipps, Chief Executive of the BMFA, to address some of your concerns and to suggest that he meets with the CAA for a demonstration of the system, which is in its development phase. She has also offered to meet him to discuss the BMFA’s concerns and how they can work together to make sure we retain and strengthen the UK’s strong aviation safety record.

I hope that this goes some way to addressing your concerns.

Yours sincerely The Drones Team Department for Transport

Edited By conrad taggart on 28/05/2019 15:23:36

Thread: Fuelproofing painted surfaces
28/05/2019 14:36:17
Posted by Simon Feather on 31/01/2018 12:05:20:

One option is a spray lacquer. I have done this recently on a Seagull Zero where I wanted to matt down the very shiny ARTF, and although I have yet to fly the model (waiting for the better weather) the tests I did prior to committing were promising. In my case, I also needed something that would stick to film, and I found a couple of products that do seem to achieve this very nicely.

It depends whether you really need "fuel proofing" as you would use on the inside of the engine bay, or "fuel resistance" where it's fine so long as you clean up after flying and don't leave the model soaking in fuel residue. My tests certainly showed some products have good fuel resistance.

I did my tests by making a small balsa box, covering it in film, spraying it with the products I was testing, let it dry thoroughly and then put some neat fuel on and leave it for a couple of days. (I used Optifuel 5%).

"Let it dry thoroughly" is very important as the fuel resistance can take some days (or even weeks!) to kick in. I'd strongly suggest you do your own tests to satisfy yourself the results will be adequate for your use, and if you do use these products, leave it at least 2 weeks to dry before running the engine.

I've tried Autotek gloss petrol resistant lacquer from my local independent car parts shop at around £7 a tin, which is quite fuel proof - in my tests it marked, but the fuel did not dissolve it. It's quite shiny, and sticks well to film.

I used Rustoleum Polyurethane Clear Matt Finish varnish on my Zero. This gives a lovely semi-matt finish, it seems to stick very well to film, and my Zero looks fantastic now. It's also available as a gloss finish. It comes in 400ml tins, I used about 3 tins to do the Zero (68" wingspan). You can get it in B&Q at about £9 a tin. That's a silly price, I got my stocks from sprayster.com at £4.15 a tin instead! And Sprayster have lots and lots of other very useful things like grey primer at good prices.

My tests showed that the Rustoleum stuff will mark after a couple of days soaking in fuel, but it doesn't appear to penetrate. Here's a link to the product on Sprayster: **LINK**

Hope this helps - as I say, your mileage may vary, and do your own tests!

regards

Simon

Simon thanks for the extremely useful write up and link - was off to B&Q before I seen this - Cheers Conrad

Thread: D40 Flying Wing - by me not Joe Manors
28/05/2019 00:56:37

Peter well done - sounds great. Looking forward to seeing it on the slopes - though fair bit of rain being forecast over the next week !

Conrad

Thread: OS Irvine 46 query
22/05/2019 23:07:24
Posted by RC Plane Flyer on 22/05/2019 16:18:45:

Hi Percy. It's the OS version Irvine but will give the a call anyway.

It's awhile since stripping an engine and I am at the stage trying to get the conrod of the crank pin ( the liner is out ) where the best place for the crank pin to get the rod off top,bottom middle ????

You might find this video useful - shows a complete strip down to allow the bearings to be replaced

**LINK**

Thread: D40 Flying Wing - by me not Joe Manors
19/05/2019 22:57:54

Peter enjoying this thread a lot. Looking really good - love the "carbon Fiber" tail !

Thread: Switch jack
11/05/2019 17:26:57

Thanks guys - worked a treat - embedded in a flying wing. Maximum charge it ever gets is 0.30 of an amp

Thread: CAA registration consulation
11/05/2019 17:24:44
Posted by Doc Marten on 11/05/2019 09:27:56:
Posted by conrad taggart on 11/05/2019 08:50:13:

Great so we can expect to see their tax bill double !

Don't really see what the Amazon and Google tax bill has to do with us and CAA registration....

A joke ! Just the wrong people, this time modelers -, paying taxes that should and could be paid by others !

11/05/2019 08:50:13
Posted by Philip Lewis 3 on 10/05/2019 14:24:57:

So it's not just a database which EASA requires it needs to fit in with the future plans for autonomous drones (Amazon and Google) the so called Unified traffic management system where we see everything operating in the air and we know who is operating it.

Well that right there means we will be required to have transponders that identify us in all of our aircraft.

It seems to me that we are paying for the set up of this whole commercial operation and what of course really sticks in the throat is that Amazon and Googles "chief financial officer" will only pay £16.50 despite owning potentially thousands of drones!

Great so we can expect to see their tax bill double !

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us