By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stuart Quinn-Harvie 1

Here is a list of all the postings Stuart Quinn-Harvie 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
02/03/2019 11:26:20

My word, Mr Miller, that looks really lovely. Much better looking than any "proper" Cub.

Posted by Peter Miller on 24/02/2019 18:43:05:

dsc01127.jpgToday was perfect.

I was able to test fly my Li'l Cub Stol aircraft. It flew perfectly, completely viceless. Never tried to bite once while I was throwing it round at low level to get the flying shots.

dsc01115.jpg

dsc_5659.jpg

dsc_5676.jpg

Thread: Malcolm Corbin Easy Street
02/03/2019 08:36:12

Seems like one of those designs that was ahead of it's power system. I always thought it looked like a mini pattern ship and remember being keen to build one at the time. I've gone all nostalgic. Good to hear they fly well given the right urge.

Martin, I remember 8 cell sub c packs - not light in the least. And a pretty good achievement copying one from pictures.

Brian: I have sent you a PM  

Edited By Stuart Quinn-Harvie 1 on 02/03/2019 08:37:40

02/03/2019 08:32:55

Seems like one of those designs that was ahead of it's power system. I always thought it looked like a mini pattern ship and remember being keen to build one at the time. I've gone all nostalgic.

01/03/2019 17:18:33

Cheers folks I think It's the kit version I remember. I'll look into the others

28/02/2019 15:50:57

Hi folks, just a quickie: was the Easy Street ever made available as a plan? I know the Mk 2 is out but I really like the lines of the original.

Thread: Chilli Breeze from Sarik Plan, Electric Conversion.
28/02/2019 10:36:57

That's what I was thinking, my first trainers had undercarts like that easy to make and very forgiving - our field is lumpier than a lumpy thing so this kind of undercart with 2 1/2 to three inch wheels should do nicely. point taken about wing mounted u/cs though and will be born in mind for the future.

27/02/2019 08:11:26

Hi all, thanks for the advice - I feel like a noob again ( which, effectively I am as far as building goes, at least - the last plan or kit build I did was in er...2004 or thereabouts) Ply doubler going in then

And heftier servos.

26/02/2019 12:07:17

Hi Nigel and Piers: Indeed - I think I'll be investing in some kind of rib/drawing software in future.

After some fettling I am here now - about two thirds of the way through the wing panels. In a spectacular case of having the instructions printed out next to me and ignoring them completely I put the root ribs on because of course I did. I really should have thought about it more but I decided at the time that I would just cut the ribs away where the dihedral braces would go, so that's what I am going to do. It'll be fine, I just shouldn't have been watching TV and building at the same time. My building will never be to the standards that some of the folks on here exhibit but it normally is good enough to get a well behaving aeroplane out of things. img_20190226_114335.jpg

Having gone back to look at the instructions again, I see that they mention spar webs - although none are shown on the plan - does anyone have any advice here? I am kind of leaning toward putting them in out of a belt and braces attitude.

Servo mounts will go on very soon - possibly this evening and I hope to start the fuselage tomorrow, using a jig for the first time.

Speaking of the fuselage, I will, as per Nigel's recommendation be moving the firewall forward and I am contemplating ways to lighten the fus a bit too. I was thinking balsa rather than ply doublers crossgrained to the sides, for a start, and 9g metal geared servos in the tail for the ele and rudder. ( just for ease of maintenance, if nothing else. )

And I need to start thinking about the battery hatch. Stuart Marsden's electric conversion thread is being very helpful, btw.

Undercart will be mounted on the fuselage rather than the wings so I will beef up the mounting area too.

Right, back to work.

Thread: RCM&E Vector March 2016 free plan
25/02/2019 14:04:41

Dead thread resurrection!

can anyone tell me what that lovely red job is, top left on the pic of Unleaded's fleet?

Ta

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Hunter & Phantom
24/02/2019 18:17:53

Ah, the Barnes Wallis bouncing aeroplane launch method...

24/02/2019 18:09:43

That flies really nicely Tony! really looking forward to the plan. 

Also, a Gnat AND a Jet Provost? Oh My

Edited By Stuart Quinn-Harvie 1 on 24/02/2019 18:15:25

Thread: Pics from your free RCME plan build
22/02/2019 02:55:32

What a lovely thread!

Not the best of pictures - the model was built when the plan came out ( and the utility room floor needed a mop ) and it didn't live long ( It DID however, live fast)Nigel Hawes' Hunter: Power was a Permax 400 with 8 800AR cells as per the mag. It needed a hefty chuck at hand launch but handled quite nicely I seem to recall.

Finish was silver Solarfilm, Prymol and Humbrol, and the hinges were all made with Solarfilm. I think this was my first plan build ever.  

One of these days I might do one with a proper modern setup ( after I have done the TN Lightning and the 3 projects I have on the go right now, two of which are from mag plans.

pict0004.jpg

pict0005.jpg

Edited By Stuart Quinn-Harvie 1 on 22/02/2019 02:56:51

20/02/2019 00:04:13

I've actually started. I cut the ribs ( and decided I REALLY dislike the sandwich method - although alighning them all to the trailing edge may not have been the best ides - perhaps aligning them equally to the leading and trailing edges would be better. Either way it' done now but I am going to do it differently next time, just to be sure.

the plan calls for the TE and LE to be supported first, then the ribs, THEN the spars, but being an Olde Farte with some Fixed Ideas, I've decided to put the spars in first aligned to the TE then add the LE. I am not sure which way is better, but so far the wing is nice and true, so I am happy so far.

Having paid seventeen quid for the plan ( I think this is the first time I have built from a plan that wasn't free in a magazine, or from Outerzone, and only the third or fourth plan only build I have ever done) it felt odd chopping it up, but there we go, I suppose. Rather than covering it with cling film, I use double wide sticky tape and that keeps everything glue free and doesn't crumple or get in the way as much.

It's not the best build by a long way, but it's a start - and I am enjoying it.

img_20190217_223023.jpg

img_20190217_223033.jpg

img_20190219_233851.jpg

img_20190219_233905.jpg

17/02/2019 20:33:48

A slightly delayed start due to life the universe and everything, but tonight I got the SLEC jig together ( one of those jobs I had been meaning to get around to ) cut the root and tip templates and sandwiched some balsa together. I've not used the sandwich method before so decided to start with that - having a set of wing ribs always cheers me up.

I've been playing with a plan built Cardinal as well ( I have always had a terrible habit of doing more than one project at a time ) and that is up to the installation and covering stage.

I'll put up spme pictures when I have something to show

17/02/2019 16:51:36

Excellent news about the Phantom - and the availability of the FMS fans.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
17/02/2019 16:30:23

That's a lovely BiFly Martin, they fly beautifully. Max - nice work

11/02/2019 17:33:10

Cheers folks: I will look into the prop issue a little more as I go on. some good looking suggestions there though ( I am still getting used to this new fangled electron-shunting) I will indeed have a planning session re the nose, and take note of what you say, Nigel re the undercart. I'll keep it simple

11/02/2019 17:33:09

Cheers folks: I will look into the prop issue a little more as I go on. some good looking suggestions there though ( I am still getting used to this new fangled electron-shunting) I will indeed have a planning session re the nose, and take note of what you say, Nigel re the undercart. I'll keep it simple

11/02/2019 15:56:13

Afternoon folks.

The plan, wood and power system have arrived, and I will be cracking on with it very shortly, starting with the fuselage because that's where I always start, and I am a middle aged man and therefore fear change, And because an on line retailer provided me with trailing edge stock that curves like a boomerang, so I will have to replace it.

I am using a PROPDRIVE v2 3542 1000KV rated at 47 amps with a 60 amp speed controller and 4s 2200mah batteries. I haven't decided on the propeller yet but am thinking something like 12x5. As per Nigel R's recommendation the FWall will be placed about an inch further forward, and I think I will work out a bottom mounted hatch for the battery.

One thing that I am thinking about is changing the undercart to a trike - partly because I like the way they look and partly because I have an unreasonable fear of nosing over. ( I have no idea either )

Aileron servos will be fitted in each wing for simplicity and because I like nice short linkages.

That seems about it, so time to clear the board and assemble the SLEC fuselage jig before another banana takes shape in the workshop.  

Any suggestions, caveats or hoots of derisive laughter welcome.

Edited By Stuart Quinn-Harvie 1 on 11/02/2019 15:57:01

Edited By Stuart Quinn-Harvie 1 on 11/02/2019 15:57:39

10/02/2019 21:26:24

Blimey Tony, you don't muck about do you? Nice positioning of the cheater intakes too. ( And splendid work generally ) I am going to be all over a Phantom when they are out.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us