By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Julian Murch

Here is a list of all the postings Julian Murch has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Charity Shop visit
21/03/2020 09:31:37

img_2258[1].jpgLast year I found a 1950 Aeromodeller Annual in my local Oxfam. The address is given as The aerodrome Stanbridge so it has not moved far since then now being in Eaton Bray (about 4 miles from here). Hope the photos are visible as there are several great plans shown.img_2257[1].jpg

Thread: 35 MHz crystals
18/03/2020 19:08:30

These are available on Ebay

Thread: 2020 Events Cancelled
18/03/2020 10:32:28

The government appears to be putting pressure on insurers to pay out when a firm decides to close say a shop rather than being told to close so could be worth a formal request and take it up with the relevant government department.

Thread: Vac Forming
16/03/2020 10:56:49

I seem to recall an article about this in the 'special issue' 0f RCM&E last year. A simple DIY system.

Thread: Probable scam?
24/02/2020 12:04:01

We use the answering machine as our call minder. If we do not recognise the calling number or no number displayed we let the answering machine answer. The call usually stops before the recorded message ends.

Thread: I think I am making a static display model
04/02/2020 17:44:28

That is not how it started out !! I am making a Guillows Spitfire and almost finished. The plan shows 3 alternatives rubber power, motor or control line For the free flight rubber version the balance point is just behind where the undercarriage joins the fuselage. However when I tried to balance it the point was 3 inches further to the rear almost at the trailing edge of the wing.

Adding some weight to the nose I was able to balance at the correct point but I had to add 100 gram to achieve that. This is more than half of the weight of the finished unit which is 175 gram.

Presumably if I add no weight the tail will drop and the plane crash but if I add 100 gram it will be too heavy for the wings to support flight.

I have had the kit for probably 10 years and have used it as a practice job so tempted to try it. Any forecasts ?

Thread: Rubber lubrication
26/01/2020 09:43:06

Thanks for all the replies here. I have already knotted the ends having seen that advice elsewhere !!

25/01/2020 17:26:59

I am nearing completion of a Guillows Spitfire which is rubber powered. This is an old kit probably bought about 10 years ago but the rubber seems OK. What should I use to lubricate the rubber.

Thread: Scam alert
15/01/2020 11:23:06

Does anyone know why the banks will not agree to the account name being included for transfers. This would go a long way to stopping such emails as you would be able to see who the money is actually going to.

Thread: Covering a sheeted surface in tissue and dope.
03/01/2020 09:21:42

Hello Martin

Thanks for the advice here. I have just completed the initial frames covering and sanding so will try your method over the week end I will post further news.

02/01/2020 13:46:51

May I ask a question about shrinking and non shrinking dope and thinners. I am completing a Guillows small Spitfire rubber powered model. The instructions give advice for both dry and wet tissue and I am leaning towards wet as for dry as it recommends multiple small pieces to cover the Spitfire shape.

Before tissue, It calls for the completed frames to be given 3 coats of 50:50 dope but does not specify which type. I used non shrinking dope thinned.

I had problems last year with an old Kiel Kraft Chief kit using shrinking dope it caused some of the ribs to be crushed. I used it at full strength. I am not talking about warping as the wings were held down on the board while it was drying.

My question is after covering the Spitfire with tissue should I use shrinking or non shrinking dope and should that be 50:50 diluted. Can you mix shrinking and non shrinking dope to further reduce the risk of damage.

Thread: New lipo battery swollen. Is this normal?
16/12/2019 09:00:51

This is a good reason to buy from a retailer if possible. I realise these are now becoming scarce but you can take things back and discuss problems face to face. My nearest is 20 miles away (Al's Hobbies) but any excuse to browse the shelves is always rewarding. I can easily get there and back on 1 gallon of diesel so can be cost effective compared to postage and packaging.

Thread: Help needed with film covering
09/11/2019 08:56:03

I can vouch for that advice - it works well.

Thread: On off switch
30/10/2019 08:45:37

Thanks Jeff that sounds a good idea.

29/10/2019 17:22:05

Thanks for the advice. The battery plug is easy to reach so I will not fit the switch.

29/10/2019 15:41:57

The rx in my Calder Craft Primary is powered by a lead from the ESC. I would like to fit an on off switch but the one I have has 2 wires - red and black whereas the one from the ESC has 3 wires brown red and yellow.

Is there an adaptor or do I splice it into 2 of the 3 wires and if so which ones ?

Thread: Colin Chapman - Midlands Flight Training
20/10/2019 09:37:46

I sent an email to him recently after seeing the ad in RCM&E. He replied with some advice and costs for training. There is a mobile number pm me for details.

Thread: How to convert an ic to electric?
15/10/2019 08:50:14

There is of course an article about electric conversion in the recent RCM&E Special Issue.

Thread: Selling scam?
06/10/2019 08:22:53

Not sure I understand how 'months later' a bank can say the original cheque was bad. Surely if all banks could do that the whole banking system would collapse with demands for repayments. I always understood that once a cheque had cleared that was that.

Thread: Charging Lipo batteries
27/09/2019 09:00:23

Thanks for all the advice here.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us