By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Doc Marten

Here is a list of all the postings Doc Marten has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
28/06/2020 23:43:23

Was it built by an expert?

28/06/2020 19:14:41
Double post deleted

Edited By Doc Marten on 28/06/2020 19:16:03

28/06/2020 19:14:34
Posted by Keith Sharples on 28/06/2020 13:05:58:

Why do a lot of you seem to enjoy having a go at ebay sellers, it make me angry some of the comments on here. The guy with the Hurricane he/she does say "built by an expert" they do not neccessarily say it is him/herself!!! Some of you have assumed it is the seller. And any balsa basher on here will know a beautiful swan emerges from every ugly duckling build process.

Ebay is an auction site, you see the item in the pictures you check the rating of the seller and make a decission to bid or buy now (if the item has that). If you think an item is over priced or not worth 2 pence you don't bid/buy. It's your choice to go either way. Why is it felt necessary to HAVE A GO at some sellers for trying. Don't forget some people don't realise as they may of been out of the hobby a long time how things and prices have changed. Why can't people just give people a break, there is to much verbal lashing out in this world which some take pleasure from and that saddens me.

PS. I am not a ebay seller, I do purchase a lot though and out of 550 plus purchases, I've had 2 problems that were dealt with swiftly by ebay.

Here's another one to get you angry at for being dissed.

New, never used, just run.Enya

Regardless of whether the Hurricane was built by the seller or someone else, the lack of attention to detail questions the 'Expert builder' status. The spinner looks like it's a bad conversion from a 3 blade to a 2 blade, the seller states it's scale.....is it? The hole for the needle valve looks like it was done with a breadknife, the engine cowl is badly cut, probably with a sharper breadknife, the canopy doesn't fit, the underwing finish is errrr.....not finished, the seller is stating it's ready for covering, just bung in the Rx and servos and it's ready to fly.....it's not, that to me is missellling, thatt's not only a breach of Ebay rules but also immoral, if you are happy to defend that then be my guest.

I've bought plenty from Ebay, that's how I come across these listings, the primary reason for this thread is to highlight the dreamers and jokers, the secondary effect is to remind members to be careful and scrutinise listings before they buy, it also shines a light on the scammers. it's a useful thread.

If it offends you, scroll on.

Forum tip: The "Report" button is your friend.

Edited By Doc Marten on 28/06/2020 19:39:23

Edited By Doc Marten on 28/06/2020 19:44:11

Thread: How far do you travel to the nearest decent model shop?
28/06/2020 17:31:15

60 mile round trip.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
28/06/2020 10:35:18
Posted by David Davis on 28/06/2020 03:24:26:

The Laser 50 I was interested in went for £256.11. Too much for me.**LINK**

There was a Laser 45 a few weeks ago that went for the same David.

Next up......."Built by an expert builder"

Am I being too picky or does the lack of attention to detail suggest otherwise? I've seen many builds by forum members to a much higher standard, none of them claiming to be "Experts".

27/06/2020 20:35:04

Brand new, never run, diplayed only...........but taken apart and reassembled badly.

SC61

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
26/06/2020 10:33:05

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 25/06/2020 13:59:31:

.....There is also my dreams of a radial, a gearbox for big props and quiet operation........

All of these things are of greater interest to me and, crucially, more likely to make money which is ultimately the thing we need most.

Now this sounds like positive, intelligent, forward thinking!

Thread: Old posts deleted
25/06/2020 00:18:38
Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 24/06/2020 21:21:37:
Posted by Doc Marten on 24/06/2020 20:35:08:
I get what you say about 'taking the ball home' but that's something that now needs to be considered before banning, a risk if you like of over moderation or how a member perceives they are being treated by other/another member(s).

Just to be clear, the only posts a moderator would remove are those which would breach the Code of Conduct. I cannot think of any circumstances where we would arbitrarily delete a member's entire posting history - we know only too well how much it disrupts the flow of threads. Deletion of content is only ever at the specific request of the member - and, believe me, we always try to dissuade them....smile

Pete

I wasn't suggesting that mods have ever removed any post history arbitrarily. The point I was making is that if a member feels that they have been over moderated or too many times or that they are being targeted by forum or admin members then they can now physically 'take their ball home' and request to have all their posts removed and that it's now something everybody needs to consider.

Edited By Doc Marten on 25/06/2020 00:26:11

24/06/2020 20:35:08

"The right to be forgotten" allows any member to delete past posts. I get what you say about 'taking the ball home' but that's something that now needs to be considered before banning, a risk if you like of over moderation or how a member perceives they are being treated by other/another member(s). I know for a fact of one very prolific poster who did just this because of a single forum member.

The world is changing.

Edited By Doc Marten on 24/06/2020 20:41:30

Thread: Is the hobby dying/dead
24/06/2020 20:21:42
Posted by Barrie Lever on 24/06/2020 14:27:12:

Doc

You know my glass is half full and filling !!

Getting youngsters into the hobby is seen as the holy grail, be warned it is not without its challenges !!

We have about a 1/4 of our club members as juniors, when you get them all show up for indoor flying they certainly keep you on your toe's and a much more softly softly approach is required not to incur the displeasure of the parents but that is just a sign of the times.

Enjoy your hobby, let other people know you are enjoying and there will be people who think that they would like some of that action.

Regards

Barrie

I know Barrie, it wasn't aimed at you, you're one of the many optimist's.

I'm not convinced though that youngsters are the saviours, the hobby has always by nature been less accessible to them because of factors such as transport and cost of participation, even now it's only up past the ages of mid-late 40's, when (usually) careers are settled, family is stable and wages allow a disposable income that fresh blood joins the ranks, so long as there are those to replace the leavers, whatever the age, at a sustainable rate, the hobby will continue. Back in the early days there was limited access to engines and equipment so modellers adapted or made their own from scratch, the hobby didn't die, it gained traction and flourished.

"We've never had it so good".

Edited By Doc Marten on 24/06/2020 20:25:42

24/06/2020 14:11:25

Jesus H Christ, the most depressing topic I've read on here since I joined.

Is your glass ever full?

Thread: Irvine engine paint
23/06/2020 12:52:38

Have you considered removing what's left?

Thread: Returning after a 20 year absence!
18/06/2020 10:33:31
Posted by Nigel R on 15/06/2020 09:49:24

Why bring your recommendation of Overlander and Eneloops up? It's irrelevant to my point.

My point was, China was not relevant. All anyone on this thread recommended was updating the old, 35MHz gear to a more recent 2.4GHz set.

PM me if you wish me to clarify fully.

18/06/2020 10:24:21

You understood my point perfectly Leccy.

It was the "Superseded" assertion........ for electric motor users there's a very good case but less so with IC. When someone is returning I read encouragement to fork out for new gear too often. Try with what you've got and replace it if you want or 'need' to later on.

Is there an update on your post Rogeo?

Thread: UK resin supplier
17/06/2020 14:02:02

Just tried Bucks Composites highly recommended, ordered yesterday afternoon and arrived this morning!

Thread: Returning after a 20 year absence!
12/06/2020 13:23:21
Posted by Cuban8 on 12/06/2020 13:19:13:

Just trying to think of an advantage that 35 has over 2.4................answers on the back of a postage stamp please.wink

Just saying "I've already got it" doesn't count.

Retreats swiftly to bunker avec tin hat laughlaugh.............................

Range, not line of sight, dedicated frequency, cheaper, no brown outs.......off the top of my head.

"I've already got it" is as good a reason to use one over the other as any other.

Edited By Doc Marten on 12/06/2020 13:37:03

12/06/2020 13:19:52

I was the first (and only) to mention Overlander and Eneloops. Your point?

Edited By Doc Marten on 12/06/2020 13:29:30

12/06/2020 13:01:10
Posted by Peter Miller on 12/06/2020 12:21:23:

If I remember rightly, Sanwa servo plugs were different to others so look out for polarity before using them.

Correct Pete, the early Sanwa servos were wired in a different order but a swap around sorted that, the later stuff I'm led to believe is the common standard.

12/06/2020 12:57:17

Many of us still happily use 35meg with no problems, guys in my club still use it Rogeo, I use both but my default is 35 meg, I also use IC engines exclusively and will continue to do so until it isn't a viable option, thats some significant time in the future.

35meg has advantages over 2.7gig and vice versa but too many want to instantly suggest we ditch it in favour of cheaper, Chinese made gear.

11/06/2020 23:58:10

Hi Rogeo and welcome back to the hobby,

Yes you can get new batteries for the Tx, from a company called Overlander, the Eneloops are a good replacement andi I will message a guy on this forum called Engine Doctor for you, he will advise you on the engine.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!