By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Doc Marten

Here is a list of all the postings Doc Marten has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Balsa Cores for Turbine Blades
23/11/2020 19:15:13

Okay then.....Yes, I have.

Thread: The Threat of Overpricing
23/11/2020 18:59:15

Okay.

Would you mind clarifying your last post Erfolg as I find it confusing, failing that would somebody be kind enough to shed some light with their interpretation of Erfolgs' last post to help me with my confusion?

23/11/2020 18:53:52
Posted by kc on 23/11/2020 18:29:16:

The info that wind turbine use lots of balsa has come from UK balsa suppliers and is the reason for lack of supplies. I wonder whether other countries have received the same info & whether their supplies of balsa are also short. Has anyone seen any comments on this on modelling websites in mainland Europe or USA etc?

It's more the number of wind generators using balsa rather than the amount used within the blades.

China has fallen behind in it's target for wind generated energy and needs to ramp up production sharpish to meet it's needs.

Thread: Flair Cub
23/11/2020 18:03:51

That's the problem with using a 40 in these, the bearers foul the engine casing which is a one of the reasons why I mounted mine on a plate. I did try to persuade you to go that route having had the same issues myself.

23/11/2020 12:17:44

£200 a day for a 'Chippy, Sparks, Plumber, Builder etc is the going rate.

There are singer/songwriters, footballers and racing drivers 'earning' in the region of £100,000 a day. That's not justified.

Edited By Doc Marten on 23/11/2020 12:24:40

23/11/2020 10:46:26
Posted by Cuban8 on 23/11/2020 10:16:00:
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 22/11/2020 17:48:00:

My advice is to buy your CA on Ebay and do your shopping at Lidl/Aldi.

My advice is support your local shop.

23/11/2020 10:43:50
Posted by Nigel R on 23/11/2020 10:37:31:
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 22/11/2020 17:48:00:

All traders are trying to recoup their losses at our expense and hoping that we will not notice.

Whether they hope we will notice (or not) is rather irrelevant. They have to make a profit for their endeavours or they will cease to exist.

Precisely.

Thread: Returning to flying
22/11/2020 19:20:26

Me too Oliver.

Yes there are many changes and much talk of the decline in the hobby but people like us are finding our way back and keeping things afloat. You'll notice that model shops are thin on the ground but goods are still available online, kits are not as common as they once were but plans are still to be had, if not as cheap as they once were, some companies have disappeared like Solarfilm and just about all of the engine manufacturers but that shouldn't deter you.

There is a renewed hunger and slowly, some forward thinking individuals are taking up the challenge.

Welcome back.

Edited By Doc Marten on 22/11/2020 19:22:43

22/11/2020 14:24:38
Posted by john stones 1 on 22/11/2020 14:18:45:

I think we've had it very good for a while, ARTFs and the like for very little money, time to adjust to the new reality.

We don't agree on much John but on this we do.

22/11/2020 14:22:52
Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 22/11/2020 13:53:34:

Well the way things are going now with jobs being lost etc,spare income will be less. Once the stuff does not get sold perhaps we will see prices fall?

.....only if you stop buying it, sadly too many still will because it is cheaper than elsewhere, we should be learning that painful lesson by now surely? The old adage of supply and demand is more true now than it ever was.

22/11/2020 14:15:15

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 22/11/2020 06:57:38:

Perhaps before long we will see a resurgence of a UK kit cottage industry (every cloud). No Balsa? We are a resourceful lot so maybe hot-wire cut foam wings will see a comeback? No Obeche? What about brown paper/PVA or laminating film? I am currently experimenting with a popular/liteply fuselage with many lightening holes! I have found it fun to try something new (to me). It's still a great hobby, it doesn't have to be expensive, and have you seen how cheap Laser Engines are these days compared with the opposition? smiley

I'm hanging onto that hope Piers, the work ethic you mention is not unique to the 'orient', luckily it does still exist in the UK.

Modelers are indeed resourcesful, to the point of being tight! The shortage of balsa will be overcome in some way with a look back to traditional and forward to high tech materials and methods combined with recycling and the gift of keeping half an eye open for repurposed materials.

I prefer the term 'Value for money' rather than cheap when talking of Laser engines. There's a fine line when it comes to pricing, it's all to easy to lose everything if you go too far one way or the other.

Edited By Doc Marten on 22/11/2020 14:17:22

Thread: Flair Cub
22/11/2020 10:47:51
Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 21/11/2020 17:23:41:

After 24 hours the Hammerite paint viscosity thinned at normal room temperature and I was able to apply further coats to the cowling of the Cub which is not perfect but acceptable.

Personally, I'd have ditched the Hammerite, it gets too many negative comments on the forums, Yes it works for a lot of people but compared to other paint finishes it is too inconsistent and troublesome to bother with.

Edited By Doc Marten on 22/11/2020 10:48:21

Thread: Liteply compositionPoplar 87%
21/11/2020 13:04:09
Posted by Solly on 21/11/2020 12:36:36:

You will note that Slec are careful not to infringe the patent by spelling it as Lite Ply, with a space between the words. Also the proper poplar Liteply has a small circe with an internal "R" at the end of the word. I suppose that anyone can manufacture Lite Ply, or Poplar Ply, whatever, but cannot use the official logo as decribed above.

Useful info Solly and pretty simple to see how the confusion is proliferated.

21/11/2020 12:19:35
Posted by Barrie Lever on 21/11/2020 12:09:19:

I have carried out a quick study this morning on alternative materials in one design of my pylon race models.

I think it is very likely that in the early part of the New Year that a Tracer pylon racer will be race ready that has no wood in it's construction what so ever and will have the same or better strength and is comparable on weight.

That build will be detailed over on the Aeromodellers forum, as I am still smarting about thread locks on here.

B.

I'll be following that one Barrie, it's a good little site they have over there.

21/11/2020 12:15:27
Posted by Solly on 21/11/2020 12:05:09:

The clue is in the spelling. LIGHT PLY can be made from anything, balsa included.

LITEPLY is a trademark with a patent and is made from poplar.

So what's the difference between Poplar ply and Liteply? SLEC state their Liteply as Ceiba wood which is a separate species.

21/11/2020 11:31:49

Balsa has been used in super tankers, aircraft, refrigeration (off the top of my head) in large quantities for decades but there's never been a threat to our supplies on this scale before.

Edited By Doc Marten on 21/11/2020 11:32:20

21/11/2020 11:26:52

Flair was a company that used Liteply extensively, no idea what species it was.

21/11/2020 11:12:00
Posted by kc on 21/11/2020 11:01:23:

The important thing to us is not what they make it from but a. whether it's available, b, what it weighs, c, is it strong enough

It is KC, it's probably the most important point because if it's made from a difficult to obtain source then it affects the bullet point you started with.

21/11/2020 10:52:10

You're on thin ice here Garywink

21/11/2020 10:47:06

This thread proves to me that just because someone claims to have.... "30 yrs in the industry, is highly qualfiied in the area, is an acclaimed expert blah, blah, blah"... that nobody is beyond questioning and that it's only right that we do.

I've been under the impression from the year dot that the liteply we use is sourced from Balsa,I've never even bothered to research it because I trusted the professional intregrity of the sources it came from. Clearly it appears they were wrong and I was foolish enough to take their word for it.

The embarrassing thing for me is that I always advise people to do their own research rather than listen to experts.

So.....we need to assume that any wood supplied to us labelled as Liteply comes from different sources, it's common knowledge that 'Plywood' is a general term to describe particular construction and that there are several sources which are clearly stated if you visit a timber merchant but some of us have believed until now that Liteply is taken as a particular construction from a particular species of tree.

Well done for bringing this one up Solly.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Subscribe now
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!