By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Doc Marten

Here is a list of all the postings Doc Marten has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hospitalised, my own fault - but ?
19/08/2019 16:08:15

What was the reaction at the hospital when you told them how you'd received the injury?

Thread: Electric Cars.
14/08/2019 12:17:25

What's going on here?

fb_img_1565086669594.jpg

Thread: Single servo ailerons
13/08/2019 21:03:34
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 13/08/2019 15:25:24:
Posted by Simon Chaddock on 13/08/2019 13:55:39:

….........With modern light weight but powerful servos it is much simpler to use a servo for each aileron and then use the transmitter functions to control the aileron travel, end stops and differential action. Most Tx will have a differential function already available.

Simon, for a new build I'd maybe agree about twin servos if the wings had been cut for twin servos but this is a completed model...…...

As this has been touched on, if anybody has a model with a single servo operating both ailerons but wish to change to a two servo setup, the way I've done it is to use a pair of mini servos side-by-side in the central wing cutout, their combined width is only just greater than a single standard servo, you can then make up a set o custom push rods to run to the aileron arms and set up using the benefits of a two servo method

img_20190813_210734.jpg

Edited By Doc Marten on 13/08/2019 21:27:02

Thread: SE5a - dogfight double
06/08/2019 22:47:43

Lovely job D_F, I'm really enjoying following this build.

Thread: Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA
01/08/2019 18:18:39

I think I've lost the thread of this topic, I was under the impression that we'd all kind of accepted that there is going to be a registration scheme with an annual fee and that we are really just awaiting the final agreement on what that fee will be and if it will be under blanket registration or individual?

Thread: Metal Tanks
30/07/2019 13:08:11

I can't see why it wouldn't work, the alloy rods have a lower melting point than aluminium and flow very well but you would need to practice first on such thin material as it would be very easy to blow holes in it or reduce it to liquid.

The idea has legs to it.

Thread: Old Fuel
29/07/2019 10:48:34

This always interests me.

There is an article in one of the RCM&E online back issues where they visited the Model Technics factory and interviewed the brains within the company, he stated that model fuel is only mildly Hygroscopic, I can't remember the exact wording but after reading it I came away with the impression that water absorption over time isn't a concern.

Thread: Getting New Members
28/07/2019 12:39:17

Cliffs idea is spot on and has plenty of mileage. A static display of flying models and banners in a place of high footfall used by the entire age and social spectrum is a fantastic recruiting and information model for the hobby.

28/07/2019 09:45:17

That's excellent news Cliff and proof that if you can recruit new members in Devon by putting on a good exhibition then it can be successful in other, similar areas of the country.

Thread: can you reccomend me a decent soldering iron
27/07/2019 11:21:38
Posted by Phil 9 on 26/07/2019 21:39:52:
Posted by Doc Marten on 26/07/2019 21:08:32:

What will you be using it for, electronics or piano wire?

electronics but some battery cables can start to get quite big so I need it to be a good allrounder

You'll probably be best with more than one iron for that sort of range, the 'good allrounder' solution will leave you wanting at either end of the range you need it for...…..prepare to release the worms!

27/07/2019 11:13:14

Guys, this is an interesting topic but these questions and debates are being regurgitated over and over again, please read what's been said in the previous pages before you decide to post, l'm sure I'm not alone in being disappointed when I see a new reply only to find it just repeats what has been said many times before. We don't know how the infrastructure will be improved to cope with demand, we don't know how the lost revenue will be recuperated, we don't know if charging technology will ever match the flow rate of a petrol pump, we don't know in which way the environmental affects will swing, etc,etc,etc. It's all speculation.

Can we continue this thread with the progress that EV's are making as it happens and just accept that the governing forces have decided to saddle us with EV's and the support needed for it to be a viable replacement as the future? I'm not happy about that but nothing being repeated on here is going to change it. Can we see the announcements and actual work being committed to the plan being posted here to keep us informed of the progress rather than bicker with eachother over guesses? It's spoiling the thread.

Thread: can you reccomend me a decent soldering iron
26/07/2019 21:08:32

What will you be using it for, electronics or piano wire?

Thread: Aldi
26/07/2019 10:18:46
Posted by Don Fry on 26/07/2019 08:49:16:

There you go Flyer, show her Doc's link.

The only thing I find with these, and they are all the same, is the Velcro disc system is not reliable, as it parts from the alloy disc. Easiest solution, buy paper backed sanding discs, and glue them on with contact adhesive. Less hassle long term, and cheaper too.

Having tried a Velcro backing on a similar disc sander and going back to self adhesive discs, I agree with this modification.

Edited By Doc Marten on 26/07/2019 10:20:36

25/07/2019 22:35:09

Look familiar?

Scheppach

Edited By Doc Marten on 25/07/2019 22:37:03

25/07/2019 12:11:35

Here:

**LINK**

Doesn't give the disk diameter though.

23/07/2019 22:18:16

The trouble with an 84 page thread is that posters are loathe to read what has been said a hundred times before. wink

Thread: Moon landing
23/07/2019 21:57:35

Anybody else heard this one?

Armstrong only became the first man on the moon because of the way the module door opened, if it was 'hinged' the other way Aldrin would've taken the honour, in line with the Gemini missions. 

indecision

Edited By Doc Marten on 23/07/2019 22:01:15

23/07/2019 12:15:53

I enjoy some of the urban myths that have grown from the space programme, one being that the Americans spent a premier League footballer's weekly wage on developing the biro to work in zero gravity when the Soviets just used a pencil.....not true, using a graphite pencil had far too much risk attached to it.

Edited By Doc Marten on 23/07/2019 12:17:04

22/07/2019 22:34:55

I wonder how long it will be before those iconic words from Armstrong will be amended from, "One small step for man, one giant step for mankind" to something less male dominated to reflect modern times? wink

22/07/2019 13:12:00
Posted by Wilco Wingco on 22/07/2019 13:07:30:

If the new rover can find the flag and footprints lleft my the previous visits, them surly that is proof that the moon landing did take place?.

Why the footprints? The flag, moon rover, scientific equipment and landing stage of the lunar module would be equally credible evidence.

All this talk of remote controlled spacecraft has me scratching my head; surely posessing the technical ability to do to that over using human operators would have significantly overshadowed the astronaut on the moon achievement and sent a much more chilling message to the USSR?

Edited By Doc Marten on 22/07/2019 13:21:53

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us