By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for tony oneill 1

Here is a list of all the postings tony oneill 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tony Oneilll Renaissance
03/04/2019 20:26:15

Hi Peter, its on the wing drawing shown as 3mm web. I did it with the grain running in the same direction as the spars, horizontally. I cut the pieces to fit each bay, glued to the spar top and bottom and also to the formers on the edge. Only on the front main spar and only to where the plywood joing piece fits. This can then be sanded flush for the sheeting to cover.

Tony

03/04/2019 13:09:20

Wet 2mm shapes quite easily. I bought 1.5mm for the wings. Plenty of pins and rubber bands lol. Hope the kitchen work goes well peter. We are in a caravan with the two youngest grandchildren for a short break so no progress till the weekend. I'm going to progress the fuselage and start sheeting the wings. Im happy with progress though.

03/04/2019 07:54:58

Hi jim, the filler at the end is 6mm sheet about 12mm wide. I glued it directly on the end and rounded it off to give smooth finish to the rudder. Its not rounded much but is done. If you are talking about the sheeting the white strip is filler to smooth the join. I used cardboard to make a template for the sheeting then soaked in water for a few seconds. Pinned it to shape and let dry. Then glued it in. Used the 2mm thick sheet in the wood pack.

Tony.

01/04/2019 21:03:00

Been slowed down a bit, bit continued with the fuselage today

I added a packer right at the back to meet the rudder bottom, then covered part of the rear end prior to drilling for the control snakes. Thought I'd give this a go to try and get a neat finish.tail covered.jpg

Thread: 2019 Mass Build
31/03/2019 18:49:47

Hi all, found these in morrisons today, stainless steel straws about 5mm in diameter. I thought these would be great for exhaust pipe mock ups or something. Four for £2.50.20190331_184105.jpg

Thread: Jim build thread
27/03/2019 12:08:18

hi Jim, i noticed on another thread you said you were waiting on a leading edge. Don't know about others but there was no leading edge in the wood pack i received. i cut a piece of 6mm sheet a couple of mm's wider than the front of the wing formers. on mine this was about 16mm's. this gives a lip to butt the sheeting to and the leading edge is then planed and sanded to profile. at least that is my interpretation of the drawing.

could another builder chip in on this?

regards

tony.

27/03/2019 10:22:16

hi, i built both parts of the tailplane and added a packer between to widen them as i thought it was a bit short. then i built the elevator to suit the new dimension. it was about 10mm wider. on mine it just looked too close. it looks really strong and i too am just going to glue it to the seat. the drawing says build up around the fin with block so i am going to follow the suggestion of fitting a packer wrapped in tape between the blocks for easy removal after gluing. then i will shape the block and glue in the fin. i also noticed a mention of a small packing piece to build the end of the fuselage toward the bottom of the rudder to decrease the gap there.

regards

tony.

Thread: Chris Mass Build thread - Renaissance
25/03/2019 09:09:32

Hi Chris, i went with that as the center line as well but the build article and the pictures seem different. So i glued in a little packing piece to increase the width a little to ensure clearance for the movement of the rudder and elevators. the wood pack i received does not have any 1.5mm in it either. i ordered it from ebay should arrive today i hope. I thought the same that the wood pack would have everything needed in it. I also seem to have loads of 6 x 6 mm stringers left.

Regards

Tony.

24/03/2019 16:05:48

I was short of a couple of clamps and came up with this idea, i think i should patent it lol. I cut a rubber band and tied one end to a clamp then streched the band round the leading edge. I caugth the other end in the jaw and hay presto an adjustable gripper. Might help someone with the same problem.1553443084034.jpg

24/03/2019 10:59:49

Hi jim, my solution was to trim the triangular pieces to fit, as in this photo

front end.jpg

23/03/2019 20:52:03

Made a start on the other wing. Getting along ok with this and waiting on 1.5 mm balsa to arrive for the sheeting20190323_204308.jpg

22/03/2019 21:31:37

Thanks gents, looks like fit the ailerons full size and adjust the throws is the way to go.

Thanks for the help.

Tony

22/03/2019 21:29:44

Neat work jim, looking good.

22/03/2019 09:41:25

this might be a daft question, but as i am not looking for aerobatic performance and this model has long ailerons would it be better to shorten these to about 2/3rd length, or just fit as they are and reduce the control throws? just a thought if anyone wants to pitch in

regards

tony.

21/03/2019 15:54:49

Did a bit more on the wing today. Fitted the web to the main spar.20190321_154434.jpg

20/03/2019 20:47:35

20190320_203933.jpgStarted on the wing so a long way to go yet. Also a picture of the front hatch painted with gloss undercoat for the metallic silver finish i want to tey.20190320_203914.jpg

Thread: Chris Mass Build thread - Renaissance
20/03/2019 18:14:20

Thanks chris, so if l understand one wing flat with 6mm block under the end of the last former, other end 72mm in the air but the trailing edge 78mm to allow washout. Then sheet to allow this little distorsion to stay in the wing.

20/03/2019 10:50:40

hi Chris, I have started on the wings and would ask what size of block did you put under the ends to get the correct dihedral? would save me calculating It and getting it wrong lol.

regards

tony.

17/03/2019 21:03:23

Jim, you can see it in this picture this is the 6 x 25 block shaped to the former. Measure yours, as 25 was for my model. Should be the same but check anyway.

Tony

fuse front.jpg

17/03/2019 20:59:41

Hi jim, i used a balsa stripper to cut a piece of 3mm sheet 6mm wide to fit in the slot from F3 to F7. I glued it in and then sanded it flush with the top of the formers. Then i cut a piece of 6mm sheet 25mm wide and glued this to the stringer and the top of the formers from F3 to F7. This gives a rectangular block from front to back. I used a small plane either side to shape it then finally sanded it to the correct profile. It basically follows the curve of the former. It gives strength and something to glue the sheeting to.

Hope that helps

Regards

Tony

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CML
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us