By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for George P.

Here is a list of all the postings George P. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Seagull 80" DH Chipmunk
14/11/2019 10:49:55

It will be grand to get our two Pups out on patrol! I am not planning to test fly mine until the weather is ok for scrabbling about on the floor with rigging wires etc.

The Chippy will fly as soon as it is not freezing , flooded or blowing a gale! It is a good size but the higher aspect ratio wing provides the 80". It is the same size as a 66" wingspan warbird I have and so it is easy to store and transport. Having said that, I do like the idea of Danny's 1/4 scale Chipmunk project!

13/11/2019 20:38:42

Hi Danny, I do admire the work you did on a new stab and elevators. You certainly saved enough weight to make it worth while. I did think about copying you but in the end decided I wanted to get it assembled asap so I could focus on other things.

Hi Chris, my c/g is at 117mm so reading through this thread, and you and Danny's comments, I should be ok for the maiden and will tweak from there as you say.

That picture is a cracker!

I like the magnets idea; I may make the change once I have test flown.

Flying mine on 6s 5000ma. I know you posted that you removed some weight after test flights, do you know what weight it is (without flight pack) now? Just curious.

Cheers

George

13/11/2019 16:52:53

Chip Chip Horay! You can tell I am feeling' Chipper' that the Chipmunk is ready to go. The last Seagull ARTF I assembled was about thirteen years ago and although there is a very familiar fit and feel they have definitely made big improvements. It was a straightforward build and took about a week. No modifications although I was tempted to after having felt the weight of the individual components (the model has come out at just a couple of ounces below 11lbs so not bad at all). Model is for sport flying and so wanted to simply put together between kit builds.

I was fortunate in that the wing tube went in no problem but I did spend an hour filing out a hole for a wing bolt to get it to fit. I also had to do some sanding to get the stab and rudder assemblies to fit and align correctly.

The decals are an issue for me; I do not like to see shiny surfaces around them and so spent a day cutting out each item before attaching them to the airframe. As there is no flying weather I am tempted to strip out the ply from the canopy assembly as it is quite hefty (pilot tacked in and screws used to hold canopy so I can modify later).

Danny, do you know what weight saving you made on the canopy/ hatch?

chipmunk.jpg

Thread: DB 60" Sopwith Pup
12/11/2019 17:32:07

Great progress, Geoff.

I am very familiar with the feeling of working for hours and not seeming to achieve very much. Although, for me, I am more aware of a feeling of constantly deciding to do 'that job that should take fifteen minutes' only to discover that it has taken at least two hours or more.

George

12/11/2019 17:20:44
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 10/11/2019 21:04:12:

I seem to spend hours doing very little - or perhaps seeming to achieve very little but the model does actually grow

Last night I epoxied the firewall in place. I opted to use the 60 minute version to avoid panic as I tried with some success to clamp it securely - I even used an elastic wing band! I modified one part to allow me to add some extra glueing area by adding some 0.5" triangular stock outside the main central box.

fuselage 10.jpg

The balsa sheet is there to provide a location for the stringers that support the 0.4mm ply which forms part of the tapered cylindrical shape characteristic of the Pup's fuselage. I cut away enough to allow the triangular parts to glue both to the firewall and the outside of the box sides. Probably not necessary but I like my firewalls well attached and the extra weight, especially so far forward, is irrelevant.

The first job this morning was to fit the bottom wing 3mm T nuts so that it was properly fitted in its final position before I tackled the cabane for the top wing. So I clamped it in place and checked for square by my usual method of a bit of string attached to very rear of the fuselage and checking to each wing tip. It was pretty well spot-on so I bit the bullet and drilled a 3mm hole through the brass tubes of the wing and into the attachment plate. After drilling the first hole I dropped a bolt in to ensure nothing moved as I drilled the second.

I opened the holes to 4mm and contersunk the back to accept the T nuts. Glueing was once more 60 minute epoxy (taking care to apply Vaseline to the threads.) The wing fits perfectly and the 3mm bolts drop straight into the T nut threads.

I deviated slightly from the instructions and plans when fitting the 2 parts of the fuselage together.

fuselage 12.jpg

The top longeron has a big support triangle shown on the drawing. I couldn't find it so made my own. Subsequently I came across them but instead of part # 128 it looked like 123 and moreover was much smaller - so future builders be aware. I prefer mine

The other change I made is at the bottom where I added a long triangular support piece to spread the load. The balsa here is very soft - ideal for the wing seat but, IMO, not quite so much for a critical support component. I've effectivly added a 0.8mm ply doubler to the inside. You can see it clearly here on the port side. If I were building another, I'd leave the blanks in the lightening holes and actually glue them in. The balsa here is so light the weight increase would be difficult to measure. Just my feelings. No reflection on DB - I don't think I've ever slavishly followed instructions or plans on kits I've built. Going a little off piste is part of the fun IMO.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 10/11/2019 21:07:23

Thread: DB Sport and Scale 1/4 Pup Battery Hatch Details
07/11/2019 12:48:17

Hi Geoff,

No need for a battery strap as the batteries are a snug fit up against front formers. May have to add one if I use slimmer batteries some time (if they puff up too much they will not fit...perhaps not a bad thing). There is airflow over the batteries and this should escape through the cockpit/ around the pilot. Or if needed I can add the tailskid inspection gap/hole.

I will check the CoG again when I check out the rigging but it seems to work; I've fitted a substantial dummy motor that really helps.

Edited By George P. on 07/11/2019 12:50:04

07/11/2019 10:10:54

Hatch/ cheek is held on with magnets. The belcrank prevents the tray from sliding out ( I intend to add further security with a short length of piano wire to ensure the belcrank can't move once in position.

I need to make and fit the machine gun, final check of the rigging wires and I am ready to maiden.

07/11/2019 10:04:04

Oops... forgot picture!

pup hatch 6.jpg

07/11/2019 10:03:10

I made the hatch on the cheek functioning so I could choose to extend lipos wires outside to connect up but it is easy to do it with the cheek hatch off anyway.

07/11/2019 10:01:20

The Lipo tray. I had lots of 6s lipos and wanted to use them. I use two batteries but wired to give double the capacity with the same voltage. This was mainly to have useful weight as far forward as possible and still practical. I have a plan B should I need to move the C of G further forward but it appears to balance on the plan C of G with the two 6s lipos. Two formers in front of the Lipos also prevent any movement.

pup hatch 5.jpg

07/11/2019 09:51:37

I made a rail for the Lipo tray to run in and to keep it in place.

pup hatch 4.jpg

07/11/2019 09:47:04

I was concerned about the resulting fit of the cheek/hatch but I am happy with it.

pup hatch 3.jpg

07/11/2019 09:44:39

I thought I would share my battery access arrangements on my Pup should it prove useful for anyone considering converting from ic to electric and wondering about access for the flight pack. With my limited building skills, I am sure many here could do a far better job but thought it might prove useful to someone contemplating how they would tackle the task to suit them.

I spent some time pondering the possibilities but in the end the side hatch/cheek seemed the better option and has turned out well. Here is the hatch/ side cheek.pup hatch 2.jpg

Edited By George P. on 07/11/2019 10:16:22

05/11/2019 20:28:14

Thanks, Danny.

I look forward to getting it in the air.

George

05/11/2019 19:20:38

I was wondering about the flap throws. Are yours set up as per manual? Any elevator mix?

Did you find the other control surface throws ok for maiden?

Any other hints / tips before the maiden much appreciated.

Thread: recommendation for a 20 amp sbec
29/10/2019 16:57:09
Posted by Jeffrey Cottrell 2 on 29/10/2019 16:51:38:

Hi George

Got a couple of those 20a YEP units in big helicopters. Faultless so far.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. That's very useful to know.

George

29/10/2019 16:49:39

Not the Pup, Geoff. It is yet another project I have put together in between jobs on the Pup (nearly finished now).

The 20 amp is a spike rating and the continuous rating will be lower than that (as I have discovered when reading the manuals online). I don't mind the extra weight or bulk and it could be useful for future projects.

The YEP 20 amp is a very tempting price but It would be great to get some feedback from anyone on here who has experience of this.

29/10/2019 15:33:55

Hi all,

I am looking at 20 amp sbecs and wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

I have used a Castle Creations 10 amp that has been excellent but their 20 amp version is getting pretty expensive. At the other end of the market there is the Yep 20 amp. Has anyone had any experience of this?

George

27/08/2019 16:32:12
Posted by Denis Watkins on 26/08/2019 18:30:38:

George, all 3 models are similar size

Colour does alter perception of size, so one livery at a glance can alter an objects appearance

In Design the quote is " Colour alters mass "

Edited By Denis Watkins on 26/08/2019 18:31:20

Thanks Dennis, I agree that colour can make things look bigger. I also find it interesting how walking around the Nats and looking at 75" aerobatic models I find myself thinking they look quite compact really until I remind myself that in my hobby room they will take up some considerable storage space!

26/08/2019 17:59:11

Hi all,

I enjoyed reading this thread.

I have always had a soft spot for the Chipmunk and really like the look of this one. I have a Seagull Sea Fury and the dimensions seem to suggest this is about the same size? On the other hand I saw the Slec/ Apache Chippy at the Nats and it has the same wingspan but looked considerably larger? I did a search on the internet but have found no pics with pilot etc. to gain a better idea. Does anyone know how the Slec and Seagull compare? Or does anyone have a Sea Fury they can compare it to?

Many thanks.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us