By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for George P.

Here is a list of all the postings George P. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Forum weekend prize draw - just like the good ol' days
10/07/2020 16:12:51

Magnifying glasses! My eyes are getting older and at a time when my planes are getting smaller!

Thread: Rubber motor lubrication
09/07/2020 07:25:01
Posted by Geoff S on 08/07/2020 17:54:57:

I didn't think making a rubber band easier to wind/unwind would be so controversial! I should have known better surprise

Pity I didn't think earlier, George. You could have tossed me a small sample yesterday when we surveyed our possible new site.

Thanks again everyone.

Geoff

Yes, that would have been an idea. If the weather etc. ever improves I may see you up the flying field this year yet!

I remember building a KeilKraft SE5A when I was thirteen. It had ribs etc printed onto a piece of sheet which was the same as the control liners I had been building but was on a more miniature scale. Great fun, I am sure you will enjoy it. The Dope was a costly addition but as the model store owner remarked I would have enough for several planes. My next couple of own design control line stunters were in PC10/Olive Drab!

08/07/2020 15:18:57

Geoff, If you research the web you will find a whole host of suggestions but I have read that the advantage of using silicone based lube is that you do not get splatters inside your fuselage that messes up your tissue covering.

I have used a silicone based one from Free Flight supplies if I remember correctly. Does the trick (as far as my very limited experience of rubber power goes that is) and no splatters.

While you are at it, you will need a rubber winder! Oh, and make a stooge. Also start reading up on blast tubes and dethermaliser types; you will not need them yet but it will be only a matter of timedevil!!!

Beware! The building and flying of these models is very addictive. I started with one (just to pass a bit of lockdown time) and now have four!

Thread: Seagull 80" DH Chipmunk
12/06/2020 17:54:06

They are covered in Oracover and so fuel proof.

It was always my practice to add fuel proofer to the bulkhead/ tank area when I used to fly i.c. in an artf. However, a.r.t.f.s have improved considerably since then and I believe the bulkhead is already proofed. Worth checking over and proofing yourself if you feel it needs it.

12/06/2020 12:56:14

Mine is on a 360kv motor and 6s 5000ma lipo. On a 17x10 APC I get 1378 watts at 60 amps as tested on the ground. I set my timer for eight minutes and land with about 30% left in the lipo. Scale flying at around half throttle. It weighs 10.75lbs and so around 128 watts per lb.

I have been used to flying a 3d model with 220 watts per lb and so although I am sure the APC 17x8 I tried on the ground would be good at 1215 watts and 51.78 amps, at the moment I prefer the little extra power for some manoeuvres; although if I ever get flying again I will try the 17x8 to compare.

Edited By George P. on 12/06/2020 12:57:10

Edited By George P. on 12/06/2020 12:58:27

Thread: Using leather for cockpit surround
11/06/2020 17:48:18

I used the cockpit coaming included in the DB Pup kit and covered that with a strip of leather material. Then I drilled holes for the eyelets and then threaded through the cord. Given my modelling skills, I was hoping for a sport-scale feel without messing things up too much!pup coaming2.jpg pup coaming3.jpg

Thread: Sopwith Pup refurb
02/06/2020 10:15:04

Superb detailing (as usual), Ceejay. I am following with interest and to get tips.

I have built a DB 1/4 scale Pup that I was hoping to maiden when I was up at Ashbourne this Spring until Lockdown put an end to that. I suppose there is still time though.

I have put some rib stitching on it and some other scalish details but was hoping to maiden and see whether the rigging gripper system fails before going to the effort of painting the roundals and adding some cowl detail.

I have been regretting not choosing a 1/4 scale Fokker D7 and not having the hassle of rigging wires ( I will be folowing your Fokker build). I may still build one if the Pup does a wing fold up!

Thread: Walnut Scale Mr Mulligan
01/06/2020 21:24:12

Hi Dwain,

Just a thought, if you reversed the black prop bearing then it looks like it would be a good fit into the cowl ( you could glue this in position) and the prop would run on the pointy dome shaped bit ?

01/06/2020 09:56:14

Wow, Jonathan, that whole Braiding thing is something else! Very informative. Glad I only have to get my head around how to lube and wind a loop of Tan Supersport (or so I think it is)laugh

01/06/2020 08:26:25

Forgot picture...

cessna rubber power .jpg

01/06/2020 08:22:45

Hi Dwain,

That's a great looking model and build. I like the registration letters.

I have also turned to Rubber to occupy the Lockdown hours!

I have just finished building a little Cessna which was great fun. I haven't done any tissue covering for a long time and thought I would go the Ezedope route. I will use it again because the lack of smell and water clean up makes it,,eh..'Eze'! However, I have learned from reading the comments of many skilled rubber flyers that it needs the correct method and as such is perhaps not so 'Eze' as Dope. It was a lot of pinning down and fingers crossed overnight until I could unpin, examine and sigh with relief.

I will follow with interest to see how you get on.

I am waiting for some calm weather so I can give it a test glide or two and then I will need to get into the strange and wonderful world of lube and winding!

31/05/2020 18:23:53

A while back I was going through my film covering stash when I spied some Oracover Cub Yellow. I held it next to the Chipmunk and it matches perfectly. Hopefully I will never need to use it! Thank goodness for scrap boxes.

Thread: Tony Nijhuis' new Vulcan
08/05/2020 11:55:49
Posted by Allan Bennett on 07/05/2020 20:22:37:
Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 13/02/2020 11:20:45:
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 13/02/2020 09:34:54:

You will not require 4s. Beside the flight time being less you will have trouble squeezing the packs into the already very limited space.

Don't forget, Martin that there are TWO FMS units - the 3S and the 4S. The 4S version running on 3S has LESS thrust than the 3S version running on the same set-up.

From the thrust quoted by Allan, he has the 4S versions

I've got far enough with the build (full-length intake duct liners installed, and thrust tubes anchored at each end) that I was able to check the thrust today, nose-down on my scales: I'm using the 4S FMS fan units with two 4S 3300mAh Turnigy 20-30C LiPos which, for this test, were at 3.85v each. Total thrust was 1.65kg -- certainly nowhere near the quoted values, as was said in another post, but adequate so long as I can keep the weight down.

I have always understood that the lipos need to be fully charged to get an accurate reading of the watts or thrust? Could be why the values are down?

05/04/2020 12:02:23

Hi Martin,

The selection/number of screws that were supplied with my kit did not match those in the manual. I had a vast amount of the smallest screws supplied and odd numbers/sizes of everything else. I used some I had in stock for some areas although I can't remember where now. I would have used a screw that was the closest width to the mounting holes in the oleos.

When you come to fit the oleo leg shrouds/spats (can't think of the word) don't follow the manual guidance on where to drill the holes for the screws. One side is ok but the other side you will miss the hardwood mount and go into the soft sheet with your screws. You just need to place the screw holes a tad differently.

Thread: protective layer over acrylics?
25/01/2020 10:50:21

Hi All,

I was wondering if I should use anything on top of Humbrol acrylics painted onto Solartex on an electric powered airframe?

I have achieved a good colour and feel a bit reluctant to paint on a varnish that could end up too glossy or mean I have to then paint the entire airframe to match.

Can I leave as is?

Thread: Memory lane DB 1/4 Sopwith Pup
23/01/2020 11:28:58

Great work. I'm sure it will be quite something to see it fly again.

Thread: DB Sopwith Pup flying weight
22/01/2020 11:24:33

It's been very useful reading this thread for me. I am heeding Jon's warning and I am thinking about options for retro fitting some doubling up on the flying wires. Good to hear of one that is flying with the grippers with no problem. I may fit something that I can detach again later if I feel the grippers do the job.

Ken- the buy new scales suggestion is not a bad one. I recently weighed a Seagull Chipmunk ARTF and the scales read 10 3/4 lbs. Later they weighed 11 lbs when I had added no weight and then something slightly different next time. I purchased some new scales and checked the calibration with known weights and then weighed the Chipmunk to find it was 10 1/2 lbs every time. You never know, may wipe a pound off the total?

Regarding the weight, I was feeling concerned that the 17lbs ish was too heavy but the weights I have read here makes me feel reassured. Going electric and have a set up that provides approx. 80 watts per pound so am hoping that should be enough.

19/01/2020 18:25:16
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 19/01/2020 16:54:00:

Also, if its getting porky dont use the ball bearing rigging gripper things. Loads of people have told me they fail so its not worth the risk.

Now that is a bit of a worry but glad you mention it ! I have used the grippers and was hoping they would be reliable. Anyone out there who can vouch for the system? Or should I be thinking of some kind of contingency plan before the maiden in Spring?

Ken - My Pup has come out at around 17 lbs. I have final rigging check/ cg check to do but hoping that will be it. I marked the cg location as per the plan and it appears to balance at that point and at that weight.

Thread: Can Superphatic glue go off?
12/01/2020 14:05:24

I had a bottle go like that once. It only had about a quarter left and it had been sitting in the workshop for some time. I decided to just throw it and get a new bottle as it is relatively cheap compared to all the other stuff I end up buying. It was just about peace of mind for me.

I like the Delux Materials Superphatic and Aliphatic glues but I have never used Titebond. Is it the same thing or is it meant to be a stronger glue?

22/12/2019 19:23:29

I had some flights today with a bit of extra nose weight and it now lands well. It is a good performer all round.

I am thinking of wiring up the lights to try...may actually show up against these dark, winter skies?

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!