By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for George P.

Here is a list of all the postings George P. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: protective layer over acrylics?
25/01/2020 10:50:21

Hi All,

I was wondering if I should use anything on top of Humbrol acrylics painted onto Solartex on an electric powered airframe?

I have achieved a good colour and feel a bit reluctant to paint on a varnish that could end up too glossy or mean I have to then paint the entire airframe to match.

Can I leave as is?

Thread: Memory lane DB 1/4 Sopwith Pup
23/01/2020 11:28:58

Great work. I'm sure it will be quite something to see it fly again.

Thread: DB Sopwith Pup flying weight
22/01/2020 11:24:33

It's been very useful reading this thread for me. I am heeding Jon's warning and I am thinking about options for retro fitting some doubling up on the flying wires. Good to hear of one that is flying with the grippers with no problem. I may fit something that I can detach again later if I feel the grippers do the job.

Ken- the buy new scales suggestion is not a bad one. I recently weighed a Seagull Chipmunk ARTF and the scales read 10 3/4 lbs. Later they weighed 11 lbs when I had added no weight and then something slightly different next time. I purchased some new scales and checked the calibration with known weights and then weighed the Chipmunk to find it was 10 1/2 lbs every time. You never know, may wipe a pound off the total?

Regarding the weight, I was feeling concerned that the 17lbs ish was too heavy but the weights I have read here makes me feel reassured. Going electric and have a set up that provides approx. 80 watts per pound so am hoping that should be enough.

19/01/2020 18:25:16
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 19/01/2020 16:54:00:

Also, if its getting porky dont use the ball bearing rigging gripper things. Loads of people have told me they fail so its not worth the risk.

Now that is a bit of a worry but glad you mention it ! I have used the grippers and was hoping they would be reliable. Anyone out there who can vouch for the system? Or should I be thinking of some kind of contingency plan before the maiden in Spring?

Ken - My Pup has come out at around 17 lbs. I have final rigging check/ cg check to do but hoping that will be it. I marked the cg location as per the plan and it appears to balance at that point and at that weight.

Thread: Can Superphatic glue go off?
12/01/2020 14:05:24

I had a bottle go like that once. It only had about a quarter left and it had been sitting in the workshop for some time. I decided to just throw it and get a new bottle as it is relatively cheap compared to all the other stuff I end up buying. It was just about peace of mind for me.

I like the Delux Materials Superphatic and Aliphatic glues but I have never used Titebond. Is it the same thing or is it meant to be a stronger glue?

Thread: Seagull 80" DH Chipmunk
22/12/2019 19:23:29

I had some flights today with a bit of extra nose weight and it now lands well. It is a good performer all round.

I am thinking of wiring up the lights to try...may actually show up against these dark, winter skies?

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
06/12/2019 11:33:19
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 04/12/2019 11:17:14:

Peter it's a so-called Easy-Built kit that I 'found' in the club hut - a deceased member's stock left to the club to be sold for club funds. It was designed for Astroflight motors with just a manual switch for power control - I assume the idea was to switch on the motor and fly until the battery ran down enough to land. It was all very vague and the drawings equally so. It was something of a challenge. It has an Axi 2820/12 motor from the same source. I had to use a big 4S LiPo to get it to balance on the CoG.

Actually the 'glide' was quite promising. It might even fly at the next attempt

Geoff

I know it was a pain in the butt to build but It did glide well and looked like it should fly ok. It is a pretty little thing as well and, seeing it on the tarmac, it did look like it was worth the effort.

04/12/2019 16:34:41

'It's a pussy cat to fly and seems to be fine with quite a range of c/g. Further back I find it harder to settle nicely into an approach and too far forward it doesn't really want to flare. So fly it and tweak the c/g to suit yourself.' 

I see what you mean about the landings, Chris. After two good landings on the first time out with it I now get a bounce on landing. If I come off the throttle a click just before touch down it drops and bounces. If I try to add a touch of elevator to flare just before touch down, then a wing drops and it bounces!

This is with full flaps. I did not try without flaps as it was a very light wind if any. I think I may try a bit of weight in the nose and see how it performs without flaps next time. Seems to fly fine in the air.

Edited By George P. on 04/12/2019 16:35:05

Edited By George P. on 04/12/2019 16:35:58

Thread: DB Hurricane paint and finish.
03/12/2019 17:57:27

hurricanes 2.jpg Some different schemes here although I like the silver in your picture.

Thread: DB 60" Sopwith Pup
02/12/2019 17:20:22

I have in the past used Prymol which is an etch primer and worked brilliantly although it stinks to high heaven and so best as an outdoor job. Dries very quickly if I remember correctly and you only need to wipe on then wipe off. Used it to paint over film, tex and on piano wire. I think you can still get it.

02/12/2019 12:34:18

Great progress, Geoff.

I like your pilot and how he fits in the cockpit. Mine is still awaiting amputation on account of the closed loop being in the way for a seat or his ass!

Sad story regarding Sydney but so nice that you can do him the honour and shows you are thinking of him.

02/12/2019 12:15:41
Posted by Danny Fenton on 02/12/2019 12:02:50:

Ahhh well done he looks excellent and a drastic improvement

Cheers

Danny

Thanks again, Danny.

Of course the irony is that another couple of flights and I am sure I would have stopped noticing the pilot anyway! Oh well, it's all entertainment.

02/12/2019 12:02:59
Posted by Danny Fenton on 02/12/2019 11:42:05:

Hi George, I asked forumite Tony Bennett to print me one for mine, and he is just right Might be an option??

044.jpg

Congrats on the maiden, that is excellent news

Cheers

Danny

Thanks, Danny. Your pilot does look good! I am having a break from building for a while and so It has amused me to have a bash at repainting the pilot figure supplied by Seagull. He will do for now and as I have screwed the canopy in place it will be easy to replace him in the future.

02/12/2019 11:57:41

I made up an oxygen mask to hide the moulding but I think I was caught up in my amateur attempts to do plastic kit modelling at this point and I am not sure a Chipmunk pilot would be flying with one and so do I fit or not?

Anyway, I am glad I gave it a try and to my eyes the pilot appears an improvement ( parent and ugly child syndrome at work).

02/12/2019 11:50:22

chipmunkpilot7.jpgCanadian cloth badge added.

02/12/2019 11:48:47

A bit more detail and another badge. chipmunkpilot6.jpg

02/12/2019 11:47:33

chipmunk4.jpgPainted in Nato green. Raided kitchen for plastic packaging and made a visor. First of the cloth badges added.

02/12/2019 11:43:29

Pupils repainted and a bit more to the face. Mask painted leather and at this stage I was aiming to paint the helmet white but discovered the white Humbrol had turned too thick to brush despite attempts to rescue with thinners and water. chipmunkpilot3.jpg

Edited By George P. on 02/12/2019 11:44:47

02/12/2019 11:39:27

The pilot had a large peak to the helmet and that was filed down also. The face was repainted and the eyes were made smaller.

chipmunk pilot 2.jpg

02/12/2019 11:36:50

This is the Seagull pilot. Having decided to paint, I could not live with the outrageous protruding eyebrows and so I filed them down.

chipmunk pilot1.jpg He also had what looked like teeth along the front of the mask and so I started to file those away.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us