By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin_K

Here is a list of all the postings Martin_K has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Answer Smash
19/01/2021 19:12:16

I am guessing.

It could be to do with the roots of English being from Germanic language. Germans pronounce the first letter of the alphabet more like 'ah', but the pronunciation can be modified with an umlaut, which we don't use in written form.

Thread: Flying with Spectacles
10/01/2021 08:57:25
Posted by Nigel Heather on 10/01/2021 08:35:26:

For model making, my optician said that glasses were not the answer - should stick with the optivsor.

I think the optician is recognising the limitations of varifocals.

My experience of varifocals was that they did not give a single pair of glasses for all situations. They worked for distance vision but close up gave sharp images in only a tiny area. Outside that 'sweet spot' the distortion, reduced sharpness and depth of field made viewing plan drawings and computer screen horrible. Better with a dedicated pair of reading glasses to give a uniform view over the width of a 'page', or when looking down at your work bench.

I note the comments here on lens quality, and also recall the fitting process at the opticians. Measurements made by freehand drawing an ink dot on the lens of a dummy pair of glasses then reference from the dot using a ruler. I thought at the time there must be a better way.

Thread: Drone rules printed in todays Press
03/01/2021 09:34:46
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 02/01/2021 20:08:53:

What is it about threads with the word "drone" in the title that always leads to nit-picking ......

Posted by Roger Jones 3 on 03/01/2021 06:20:10:

.... My 'complaint' is that 'drones' have little to do with model planes as they are in effect 'camera platforms'.

Model aircraft are in the category 'drone', an all encompassing term from a small toy to a military aircraft equipped with deadly weapons.

Recent threads in which we have discussed new commercial BVLOS operations have all concerned fixed wing aircraft, looking very much like traditional model aircraft.

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, whether mutlirotors, fixed wing, or hybrid, comercially operated or hobby, are subject to a single body of law.

Thread: Richmond Park, new flying restrictions
23/12/2020 19:38:44

Hello Oliver, Welcome to the Forum.

I never did get a reply from the Park Managers to my request for clarification of the flying rules. We will just have to see how things turn out next year, weather, covid, and herds of deer permitting!

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 24th Dec - last one!
23/12/2020 19:10:04

My entry to draw.

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 21st Dec
20/12/2020 21:52:16

Yes, please.

Thread: DB Mascot aileron hinging
19/12/2020 13:42:11

I agree 3M Blenderm makes strong hinges. A couple of pitfalls to avoid (that I fell into).

Make sure your covering film is securely attached. Removing a mis-applied piece of hinge tape can lift the covering film.

Do not apply your hot iron to the heat shrink film after appying the tape. Blenderm itself shrinks with heat, closing tightly your previously nice free moving hinge.

Fearing that self adhesive tape on a top hinge surface may 'lift' I also applied some to the underside too, using a plastic ruler to push it to the bottom of the "V" section between trailing edge and control surface. That extra complexity made the job difficult and was probably not required.

Thread: Drone completes first freight flight to Isles of Scilly
11/12/2020 08:43:10

A couple more photos from the Flylogix web site.

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 7th Dec (post to enter)
06/12/2020 22:13:28

You have 'hooked me' with this prize!

Thread: BMFA Update - Article 16 Authorisation
28/11/2020 11:07:47

Dick just beat me to it. At the moment, no simplified version. Unless / until the BMFA can present a 'deal' for our benefit, reference to the regulations is the starting point.

See;

B1.6 page 186 Model Aircraft Associations

D1.16 page 209 Article 16 – UAS operations in the framework of model aircraft clubs and associations

Thread: Drone Accident
21/11/2020 13:53:37

I wondered how the helicopter could be so low it collided with the same organisation's (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) unmanned aircraft. Apparently the UAS should have been below 300 feet but the 300 units the operators were working to were - - - meters.

Thread: Drone Delivery
28/10/2020 10:57:57

Interesting. I know the RC car guys use sensored motors, so possibly that is part of the method to stop (and then hold) the rotors in flight at a specific position.

Edited By Martin_K on 28/10/2020 10:59:44

24/10/2020 15:36:36

An aside. Can an ESC (or related) 'park' the vertical lift rotors so neatly fore and aft or was the aircraft arranged that way for the photographer?

Thread: CAA Operator Identity
20/10/2020 19:09:02

Posted by MattyB on 20/10/2020 17:50:44:

.... The fact they have off the shelf functionality the could have reused from no end of other systems served via the Gov website is all the more baffling.

A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from TV Licensing to my correct address (where I have lived about 30 years) but to a person I have never heard of. It was a No Licence Needed confirmation, thanking the other person for telling TV Licensing that no licence was needed at my address.

I Emailed TV licencing saying there is no such person at my address and questioning what data validation they do when a current licence already exists for a specific address in their database?

I have had a second letter from TV Licensing, to the other person, confirming that no licence is needed at my address.

Resistance is useless.

Thread: Pzazz E Wing Joint
17/10/2020 14:21:28

My last build was a Discus Launch Glider, balsa ribs, carbon main spar and leading edge. Wood wise there was only one very small ply dihedral brace to supplement a butt joint of the wing halves at the root ribs. The kit did include some glass cloth to reinforce the joint however, plus carbon weave fabric to reinforce the wing mounting screw holes.

The epoxied on cloth has made a very solid joint. Many full strength launches, some not too good with a lot of roll imparted to the glider. No sign of distress to the joint yet.

My only caveat to the epoxy/glass method is that having shaped the fuselage wing seat and wing underside to mate cleanly before applying the reinforcment, after the glass/epoxy was on I could not restore such a 'clean' interface. Epoxy a bit lumpy and surface too awkward to work.

Edited By Martin_K on 17/10/2020 14:26:04

Thread: Cambrian Model Company's Spartan.
16/10/2020 19:13:53

D.D. I am thinking the model's name is wrong. With the built up tail, nice fuselage, and now a refined power system, it is closer to "plush".

Thread: Li-ion charging in a Taranis X9d + 2019 transmitter
10/10/2020 10:54:37

To charge the two Li ion cells internally in my Taranis X-Lite Pro I use a USB switching power supply, Model MWUSB3UK, 5V, 2100mA. I bought a few of these from CPC years ago to power Arduino and Raspberry Pi type devices. A search for this part number at CPC now shows suggested replacements.

I do also use a USB port on my PC but my experience with the X-Lite is this must be a 'charging port', typically indicated by yellow plastic inside the USB socket. If connected to a standard USB port the Taranis radio draws current in excess of what the port can handle.

I am puzzled by the user manual reference to a charger of "less than 5 volts@ 2.1 amps". Possibly they mean no more than 5V?

Edited to add;

Computer knowledge may be required. Whether the USB ports supply power when the computer is 'sleeping' or off may be configurable in setup, i.e. bios. It is on mine.

Edited By Martin_K on 10/10/2020 11:06:59

Edited By Martin_K on 10/10/2020 11:07:41

Thread: BMFA kick backs/discounts for clubs
29/09/2020 21:55:40
Posted by john stones 1 on 29/09/2020 21:10:00:

No idea what this is meaning ?

You have no idea what this is meaning? Simply that there is a world of difference between the ways various members of this forum experience the hobby. I suspect in large part due to geographic variations in availabilty and price of land.

If you wanted clarification you could have asked.

29/09/2020 21:52:27
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 29/09/2020 20:50:05:

I enjoy what I am doing but hope the BMFA are equally focused on the needs of those flying only for fun on public access sites as for the grandest club running events on private land.

Indeed they/we are.

I am reassured to hear it.

29/09/2020 21:52:03
Posted by Doc Marten on 29/09/2020 20:43:33:

I don't know why you choose to go it alone Martin but I don't think it's constructive to knock those that join clubs, pay the fees and benefit from it.

I don't know why you think I am knocking club members. I don't know how you read into my post that I 'go it alone'. I am a member of a club. Three of the four sites I refer to have clubs that operate on them. My club fees are low, reflecting the minimal facilities.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!