By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin_K

Here is a list of all the postings Martin_K has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
21/02/2020 11:37:14
Posted by Cuban8 on 21/02/2020 11:03:19:

Excuse me, but what the devil has this got to do with recreational model aircraft flown at a club or other proper place ....

For businesses to operate commercial BVLOS they need a mechanism to know what else is in the air. (There may be better ways of doing it than broadcasting ID from model aircraft but government discussions suggest that is what is coming).

21/02/2020 09:16:20

For those of us waiting for ASTM F3411 (standards document for implementing remote ID and tracking) it has been published - price 85 dollars!

Hopefully a modelling organisation will buy one and tell us what it proposes.

Thread: So what is the FAA trying to do in the USA ?
15/02/2020 15:23:36
Posted by Steve J on 15/02/2020 15:05:32:

DJI's response.

"It may be that security agencies influential on this topic insisted on a panopticon of total awareness".

Love that phrase!

15/02/2020 14:59:34

The FAA NPRM is very different to what we are expecting here. The document itself is the best source, however, for a sober summary (not rant) see this Horizon Hobby response. (Note that HH withdrew the video within hours of posting it, apparently due to adverse comments from the FPV community. However copies exist on-line).

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
15/02/2020 08:32:39
Posted by Tony Richardson on 15/02/2020 02:48:32:

I know this discussion relates to the UK and I live in Canada but ..... comments gentlemen..

Tony, The FAA's NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rulemaking) on Remote ID is such a long and multi-faceted document that US aeromodellers wanting to comment have a difficult task writing a coherent and succinct response. We, outside the US, can only spectate, in the knowledge that changes to the hugely valuable US hobby market will have a knock on effect in regions that operate under different legal systems.

13/02/2020 22:18:08
Posted by leccyflyer on 13/02/2020 21:12:20:

Well Frsky or someone else had better come up with a tiny, inexpensive add on that you just plug into a spare port, Y lead or on a separate 1S battery. If it;s to be a requirement in the USA they might have got it sorted by the time it's implemented here.

As of now the Americans are not going to save us. Their proposed Remote ID solutions are required to be tamper proof and integrated with the aircraft/radio. This is one of the reasons it is not clear how US home builders assembling models from components can be Remote ID compliant at all, limiting them to flying only at recognised sites, none of which have yet been approved. The proposed FAA rules are out for comment at the moment so could change.

Things look relatively rosy here in the UK. (Assuming manufacturers still see a market worth supplying).

13/02/2020 15:47:25

Steve J, Thanks for clarifying the distinction between EU conspicuity (announcing your presence) and US Remote ID (flight being data logged on-line).

13/02/2020 14:09:52

I just did a search of "conspicuity" on the Hansard document linked to by Steve J, above. The following are all comments by Baroness Vere. The timescale discussed, 3 years from the rules being enacted to remote ID being mandatory, is the same as proposed by the FAA in America. Fortunately the UK governement comments do include the possibility of model aircraft being made compliant. In America the barriers to 'traditional model aircraft' appear much greater.

Turning to a couple of points I have not covered, my noble friend Lord Glenarthur made an important point about electronic conspicuity, or remote ID. This is being introduced into drones. Although it is not ubiquitous at the moment, electronic conspicuity for all aircraft was consulted on in the Aviation 2050 consultation. We will be looking at how we take that forward but, as part of EU retained law, the EU-delegated Act is already within domestic law. It contains remote identification requirements. This delegated Act came into force on 1 July 2019. We are currently in a transition period; within three years, electronic conspicuity and remote ID will be a requirement for all drones.

I am afraid I do not have that information to hand. I would be remiss if I tried to remember, so I will write to the noble Baroness. I think that was a consultation for all aircraft. She will be aware that the Government are looking at general aviation and, as we move forward, the interplay between unmanned and manned aircraft in a unified traffic management system. That is some way off but we have to start thinking about it now. The electronic conspicuity of drones comes from EU regulation and is now in domestic law. We are in the three-year period during which all drones will have to have conspicuity.

On remote ID and electronic conspicuity, the delegated Act is in UK law. The noble Baroness suggested demanding that every drone has electronic conspicuity. We do not want to favour one drone manufacturer over another. We want to ensure that the technology we receive can develop naturally. It was agreed among EU members that a three-year transition period would be appropriate, but electronic conspicuity is in British law. It will be coming over the transition period, as we agreed with our colleagues in the EU.

The noble Baroness also asked why the process is not like car registration. It already is. One must register a drone, and it has a number on it, like a car number plate. So we already have registration and competency testing; these things are already part of UK law. I am therefore still looking for what it is we should be doing better. Geo-awareness and geo-fencing, like electronic conspicuity, are in the EU delegated Act, so they are in UK law.

I am very pleased that this group came immediately after the previous one because I too will probably be saying pretty much what I said before. Obviously, geo-awareness and electronic conspicuity are important parts of the delegated regulation. Even though the noble Baroness would perhaps like these to be introduced sooner, I am sure she would accept that, while we are in our transition period, we have to follow EU law. The two items identified in this amendment are already in UK law; there is a three-year transition period in which they will come into effect. The noble Baroness mentioned that new drones can be purchased with all these things. There are people in the model aircraft community who will be very quick to write to all noble Lords to tell them why the transition period of three years is required. I have been at the receiving end of one their campaigns; it involves a lot of letters.

On remote identification, once electronic conspicuity is ubiquitous, we will be able to link the identifier to the registration system. At the moment, there is literally a physical number on a drone; that will change over to electronic conspicuity once the transition period is over. The model aircraft people will have put electronic conspicuity into all their aircraft by then and the entire system should be ready to go. I hope that, given this explanation, the noble Baroness will feel able to withdraw her amendment.

For example, Amendment 33A refers to “inbuilt safety features”. They are not necessarily defined, but I take it that we should talk about the thrust of the amendment rather than the detail. As has been covered several times today, the EU regulations being transposed into UK law cover much of what is covered by the noble Lord’s first amendment. The inbuilt safety features to which I think he is referring, such as electronic conspicuity, are within that. The noble Lord mentioned that they could not be turned off—indeed they cannot, because should they be turned off that would be illegal, as the devices would then not have electronic conspicuity. Under the regulations in place—we are in the transition period—those things would have to be on and functioning. Turning them off would not be an option, because that would then be illegal.

Thread: Upgrading Windows7 to Win10 for free
25/01/2020 11:15:21

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 25/01/2020 09:41:59:

Still, as i said before the whole linux issue is beyond the original scope of the thread.

The first post in the thread included;

Posted by kc on 12/01/2020 17:58:53:

Of course you need a computer with a good enough spec to cope ....

To cope with Windows 10 that is.

A Linux based distribution can be configured to run snappily on old and low specification hardware, which is the relevance to this thread. Yes it takes expertise but the software is free.

25/01/2020 08:39:02

A bit of terminology. Linux is the kernel, the small piece of software that interfaces directly with the hardware in your computer. The suite of additional programs that with Linux make an Operating System is known as a Distribution. Distributions are packaged collections of programs to support a particular style of use, typically including a Desktop Environment (DE).

MS Windows comes with it's own Desktop Environment. Alex's description of 'Linux' in the post above is actually largely about the DE. Some Distributions have a DE that behaves like MS Windows. I do not use a full blown DE at all, I prefer my CPU cycles to run applications, not a fancy user interfcace.

Everyone here is already using Linux, even if unseen. Anyone with an Android tablet or smartphone, Android runs on the Linux kernel. Embedded systems, many routers, set top boxes etc. run Linux. All the world's supercomputers run Linux, probably most web servers too. At the other end of the scale electronics hobbyists with devices like the Raspberry Pi. Linux is portable (between different CPU architectures) and scalable (across differnet sizes of machine).

How you customise the software added to the Linux kernel appears to be a source of confusion in this thread.

Edited By Martin_K on 25/01/2020 08:43:04

Thread: FrSky Major Update for most TX and RX
19/01/2020 11:02:24
Posted by Tony Richardson on 18/01/2020 22:06:45:

Well being the distrustful beggar I am I'm doing nothing at the moment, the lack of information about why makes me wonder - me being not very computer literate or web wise - if this is maybe a spoof or site hack of some sort? I have been flying with a Taranis X9D and Horus for a lot of years now and never experienced any of these anomalies so for me its going to be carry on as before.

Tony....

I am reading about this as an ex computer networks person, not as a FrSky user. Data networks require an error detection mechanism.

My understanding - A bug has been found in FrSky RF transmission error detection that normally has only a momentary effect on one or two channels, so is barely noticeable. However, it can sometimes delay program execution in the RX for long enough to cause a loss of control. The understanding of the problem is consistent with a higher incidence reported in Europe, using LBT firmware.

The fact that any one user has not previously experienced this does not mean it is less likely to happen to them in future.

17/01/2020 09:39:24
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 16/01/2020 21:54:39:

This update is probably driven by this note this is a German Frsky forum so you may need your web browser to translate it.

Tremendous piece of investigative work.

The connection with growing utilisation of the 2.4GHz band is also interesting as that will increase further if Wi-Fi is adopted as part of the Remote Identification implementation.

Thread: Trial Flights - Promoting the Hobby
15/01/2020 11:14:26

Simon, some interaction is negative (frosty rather than specific complaints), the majority positive 'nice to see', a tiny amount 'I would like to do that'. All the sites I use (4) are long established, more than 50 years, flying venues.

15/01/2020 09:45:04

Just in case anybody wonders what I was talking about there is;

the new Find a Model Aircraft & Drone Trial Flight page;

and the old BMFA Club Finder page.

My local clubs are not on the new system, which I discovered by accident.

Edited to add;
My local clubs are all on shared use public spaces however, so people see the activity!

Edited By Martin_K on 15/01/2020 09:53:05

Edited By Martin_K on 15/01/2020 09:55:34

13/01/2020 16:15:29

Thanks Simon, I had not seen it before. It struck me that the content is different to the Club Finder (different web page) so I wondered what was going on.

13/01/2020 14:41:15

I see the BMFA home page has a prominent link inviting people to take a test flight at a local club. Have any of the committee members here been involved in selecting their clubs as participants.

Some of the offers are more challenging than others, slope soaring and free flight for example.

Thread: Upgrading Windows7 to Win10 for free
13/01/2020 10:50:47
Posted by Tony Harrison 2 on 13/01/2020 10:33:38:

IME many apparent PC problems are caused by outdated drivers: many/most people might be surprised at how quickly all sorts of important drivers become outdated. A while ago I invested £30 or so on software called Driver Easy, wwhich run regularly automatically checks for outdated drivers then downloads the appropriate update and instals. Works neatly & easily, well worth the cost.

rgds Tony

Epson are not retrospectively updating Windows drivers for old hardware, no utility will fix that.

Fortunately the Open Source Software community will keep your older kit in operation free of charge, so not unreasonably without providing product support.

To each his own!

13/01/2020 10:00:32

Before upgrading Win 7 to 10 it is worth checking that device drivers are available for your peripherals.

I am a long time user of Debian Linux but have an evaluation copy of MS Windows 10 in a virtual machine so as to run the Spektrum Programmer application. I was surpised to find there are no Windows 10 drivers for my printer, an Epson Stylus Photo. Investigation showed for 'old' hardware this was a common experience, and one unlikely to be fixed.

Thread: Can Superphatic glue go off?
12/01/2020 09:34:32

Mike, Do you mean Deluxe Materials Super 'Phatic? Mine started off white, and still is after many months in a part used bottle.

Their Aliphatic Resin is yellow. My even longer part used bottle of that looks an unchanged yellow to me.

Thread: Essential RC's videos
11/01/2020 16:28:53

The location for the Freewing AL37 review looks like Wisley Airfield, Ockham. In the past I have cycled across there a few times when going to the North Downs (Surrey Hills) or picking up the River Wey and navigations towpath. I didn't spot it in the video but near the disused runway is a radio navigation beacon used by airliners inbound to Heathrow. As I recall the 'armco' barrier was put across the runway to stop pilots of light aircraft 'visiting'.

If the land owner has given permission to fly RC on the Ockham site it would be useful to know?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us