By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jeffrey Cottrell 2

Here is a list of all the postings Jeffrey Cottrell 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DW models Astro Junior .
01/04/2020 14:28:14

Hi Guys

Prompted by this thread, I had a look on George's site to see what else was on offer. Struck by this.

Now that is pretty.

Anyone built one, comments, opinions?

Cheers

Jeff

Thread: LiPo storage
27/03/2020 21:50:10

Hi Guys

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Got a discharger on order from RCmart but I doubt that'll arrive anytime soon, so meanwhile have to see what I can invent.

Let battle commence!

Jeff

26/03/2020 10:28:46

Hi Guys

Saw a video on YT recommending that, during this period of enforced abstinence, LiPo's should be stored at storage charge (3.8v/cell).
Lots of good reasons for doing this, but I have an issue.
One of my LiPo's has been on my discharger for some 6 hours now and is still showing over 4v/cell.
Last count I had some 14 packs needing to be stored. At that rate, by the time I have them all at storage it will be time to get back to flying.
So, what's the general thinking ? Worth doing?

Cheers

Jeff

Thread: Hobbyking Film
22/03/2020 21:35:20

Hi Guys

I know it's getting difficult to find model coverings at a reasonable price, but optimistic or what?

Link

Jeff

Thread: The thread for your subscriber questions and queries **please do not start a new thread**
18/03/2020 12:57:28

Hi Guys
Trying to take out a subscription to RCME, and want to pay via PayPal.
Went to the 'subscribe now' link at the top of the page, filled in all my details, print edition, 1 year sub etc.
Went to pay and the buttons for PayPal, as well as Visa and Mastercard do nothing.
Only one available was 'check out securely' which is not what I want
E-mailed helpline, still waiting for an answer back.
Phoned contact number, got an agent who said it was my browser. I know it's not, but tried another browser anyway, same result.
He then said I was trying on the wrong website. Given this was linked directly to ModelFlying forum, seems unlikely, but he said to try Mags-UK instead.
This is a site where you can buy individual issues, but NOT a subscription.
So, wasted a lot of time, talked to someone who obviously didn't know what he was talking about, and still not got my subscription.
Any thoughts?
Jeff

Thread: JST XH terminal removal
13/03/2020 23:06:01

Hi Denis

Thanks for the thought, but I've done a lot of electrical work in the past.

Figure my surgical skills are up to it.

Cheers

Jeff

12/03/2020 19:24:04

Hi Guys

Got a LiPo battery with a broken balance wire. Is there an easy way to remove the terminal from the plug so I can fit a new one.

Thanks

Jeff

Thread: Hobbyking Film
08/03/2020 22:32:40

Just an add-on to my previous.

5mtr roll of covering from BG costs £1.67 in shipping.

Kinda puts the £15.99 from HK in perspective, doesn't it?

Jeff

08/03/2020 22:27:56

Hi Wilco

Same thought occurred to me.

Bear in mind that it is priced per meter, so a 5mtr roll would be £15, or twice the price of the HK stuff. Still a lot cheaper than Profilm, so worth a try.

Also noticed Bangood are selling film as well link but in restricted range of colours. If anything this might be the same as HK product.

Jeff

08/03/2020 19:21:37

Hi FlyBoy

Might want to read this first

Jeff

08/03/2020 17:46:04

Hi Guys

All I've found so far is a couple of the transparent colours, so don't hold your breath for anything to filter down to EU or UK.

Got a question in with HK now but I don't expect much of an answer, if any.

Tim

Heard some poor reports of Easycoat seconds. How are you finding them?

Jeff

08/03/2020 17:18:09

Hi guys

After months of waiting, Hobbyking have finally got some covering film back in stock at their global warehouse.
But, beware.
Quickly added a couple of rolls to my cart, total value £12.90, but when I went to check shipping I found that the 'cheapest' was Fedex Priority at £15.99.
Make it a point of principle not to pay more for postage that the cost of the items, but how can HK justify such a colossal shipping cost?
Do they not want to sell stuff?

Jeff

Thread: CAA ID number discussion
07/03/2020 19:49:01

Hi guys, quick question.

I have my CAA registration as an operator, and also a BMFA 'A' certificate, which, I believe, exempts me from needing a flyer number.
However I also fly helicopters, for which I do not have a BMFA qualification.
Does this mean I need a separate flyer number for my helis?

Jeff

Thread: Balsa Cabin Mini Glider
19/01/2020 09:55:00

Hi Karl

Thanks for the reply. Beginning to think I was the only one to buy one of these kits.

Anyway, my kit is with the couriers and should be with me soon. Will give it a good dose of looking at when it arrives.

Meanwhile interested to hear what mods you made to the structure.

Not averse to making changes myself, either for strength reasons, or different build techniques. Would like to see what you did.

Thanks

Jeff

11/01/2020 22:29:04

Hi Guys

Rather fancy one of these. Anyone built one, got any thoughts, opinions etc.

Thanks

Jeff

Thread: Max Thrust Riot - Upgrades
07/01/2020 21:00:32

Hi Guys

Santa paid a belated visit this morning. Brought with him the 2650 4s packs and the spinner from Robotbirds.
So, good news.
HK list the packs as 22mm deep, they are actually 21mm, and fit the un-modded battery bay with room to spare.

dscn0001.jpg

dscn0004.jpg

Even replaced the velcro strap with one a lot thicker, and still a good fit.
Haven't decided yet what to do with the power leads. Left the esc 'floating' for the time being, until I do the test flight and am happy with the set up.
Same with the spinner.

dscn0006#1.jpg

dscn0009.jpg

Would really have liked a 50mm one to look right, but the 40mm leaves a gap which allows cooling air direct on to the motor.
Happy with that.
All I need now is some waders, so I can use the field. sad

Jeff

06/01/2020 08:52:51

Hi Keith

Unless I'm mistaken, Kim is using these, which show as 22mm deep. Should fit the battery bay with room to spare.

Jeff

05/01/2020 19:10:18

Hi Keith

No complaints from me, mate. Glad to have you with us.
However I would like to question a couple of things from your post.
First of all, one of the fun things with this hobby is everyone gets what they want from a model.
Both Colin and Kim are happy with the performance, glad to hear it.
Me, I'm a bit of a tinkerer, always thinking there is more to be had. Having said that I'm not contemplating major changes.
Like anyone else on here, I've broken a prop from time to time. Wouldn't think twice about replacing one, so changing to a different size is really no biggy.
Same with the Lipo. I use 2200 3s currently (ahem) but they also power my helicopters and quad so getting some different ones for the Riot is no worry.
Won't know for sure until they arrive but I'm convinced those Turnigy ones will fit without modding the battery carrier.
If they won't, might have to re-think.but I don't intend to 'upgrade the entire power train' or do any extensive airframe mods.
Small steps does it for me

Jeff

04/01/2020 16:36:03

Hi Keith

Those Turnigy packs should be with me within a few days, but I do have some 3s packs for my helicopters, so I can confirm some dimensions.
HK quote length as 137mm, where mine are 140, but width as 44mm where mine are 42mm.
Depth for the 3s is 17mm, so 4s should be 22 plus change.
Sounds like a winner.
Have to say I have taken a number of these packs apart, and they do have a layer of hard plastic around the cells. If need be this could be removed which could save another mm or so.
Main issue to me would be how to accommodate the power wires, but I'm sure i can invent something once I have the packs.
Anyway, £12.50 per pack not a lot to risk.
Also interested to see Mark recommends 10 x 5/6 for the 4s packs. If that size flies the model with the authority i need, reduction in current and increased duration will be side benefits.

We'll see

Jeff

04/01/2020 11:20:53

Hi Guys

Keith
Sounds like a plan to me. Let us know how you get on.
At least you have a flying site. Mine is on clay, and given the weather the past few weeks it's more suited to growing rice than flying toy aeroplanes.
Last time I went down there were a couple of swans paddling happily on what used to be the runway. Ho hum.
Couple of thoughts.
HK do a range of 'bone' props including 11 x 5.5 size here. I have one of these plus a genuine APC one and they both seem similar in stiffness.
Best thing is the price.
Also I use combined prop driver and spinner from here. These are made by a company called MPJet and are really good quality.
Only issue is the biggest is 40mm which is a little small for the model, but does leave a gap for cool air to flow over the motor.
Highly recommended.

Kim
'I've taken to warming the batteries in my trouser pocket for a while before fitting them, which improved things.'
Just make sure there is nothing else metallic in your pocket, otherwise it might not be only the batteries that get warmed up, if you get my drift

Jeff

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us