By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Stephenson

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Stephenson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Repairing a 3D Angel "Jigsaw"
02/07/2020 00:36:39

Robert,

I have used a Dremel scroll saw for years, mostly for stripping balsa but more recently I obtained a second-hand table-top band saw which I use for almost everything and with the right blade it also cuts metal. The Dremel saw was around £100 about 20 years ago but you can get a band saw for less than that these days. The only disadvantage with the band saw when cutting out shapes is that you can't feed the blade through the workpiece to cut holes. You can't do your self an serious injury with a scroll saw whereas a band saw it's quite a different matter.

A.

Thread: Aviation Funnies
01/07/2020 17:15:01

Martin,

I see what you did there.

A.

01/07/2020 15:14:49

tjd.jpg

Come on guys did you really think this had been checked before you went live with this page.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
30/06/2020 23:37:05
Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 29/06/2020 23:33:06:
Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 28/06/2020 21:16:57:

secret How much!!!!

Flair Puppeter

The builder must have used this glue in assembly+

At least the glue comes with free postage!

Thread: Covering tissue
29/06/2020 11:22:43

Mike Woodhouse (^Free flight supplies.co.uk^) sells mylar film, it comes silvered or transparent. I have used the 5micron thickness mylar (probably much lighter than laminating film) and covered it with lightweight tissue. The advantage of using both tissue and mylar on an open structure is that you get the rigidity doped tissue offers plus the puncture resistance that the mylar has. Also as has been stated above, it prevents the dope pooling on the inside of an open structure which means it can work out lighter than tissue alone. Different coloured tissues can be joined over an open area to give an effect which will leave others to wonder how you did it.

Andy.

Thread: Poly C - Fuel Proofer?
24/06/2020 00:14:54

Martin,

I searched on Falcon and Burnley and this came up...

http://ww38.falcon-aviation.co.uk/

It looks like they are out of business. I guess Skincrylic was a concoction of their own.

I have been looking around at the best skinning resin/adhesive for a while. I tried this with tissue and it seemed to work but I don't think it's fuel-proof as a final coat...

diamond.jpg

You do have to buy a whole litre but it does work out much cheaper than model specific formulas.

Andy.

23/06/2020 23:57:56

Martin,

I have done a search for Falcon and Skincrylic and can't find anything, do you have a link to the supplier.

There was some discussion about it in this other thread from 2009 but this didn't lead to a supplier either.

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=33054

Thanks,

Andy.

Thread: Futaba 14 sg
23/06/2020 15:23:27

The Futaba default for throttle control is in reverse for ESCs. Simply reversing it will fix this issue but there is a menu option which changes the power control from "Throttle" to "Motor" which I believe reverses this function so it's compatible with the convention of most ESCs. There may be other benefits to this but I haven't checked these out.

A.

Thread: Reversing plans
18/06/2020 19:06:06

Just spray the plan with WD40 to make it transparent enough to see it from the back. The best thing about using WD40 is that when it dries out it completely disappears and leaves your plan as new.

A.

Thread: The great i.c. / electric finger chopping debate
18/06/2020 13:18:53

Starting off as a schoolboy in the 60s with small diesels using floppy plastic props (there weren't any GF re-enforced ones back then) if you got your finger in the prop it hurt like hell but did no permanent damage. This was an object lesson for the future to respect the propeller which has stood me in good stead in avoiding injuries.

When I am training student pilots these days I make a point of talking about prop safety as I don't think there is enough in the manuals on this subject.

A.

Thread: Minor irritation
15/06/2020 21:31:22

If I turn on the ad blocker I can confirm exactly the same thing happens with that overlapping text. I have it turned off on this site because the ads aren't intrusive and it also blanks out some videos which are not ads just those posted by users.

A.

Thread: Need a new fuel pump (glow fuel)
15/06/2020 12:19:06

Jon,

That one looks like one made specially to handle glow fuel, whereas most of the others are just windscreen washer pumps. This is why so many of the fail due to the methanol but particularly the nitro when they are only designed for washer fluid.

A.

Thread: Acrowot landing gear
15/06/2020 11:34:22

I built my Acrowot in 1986, in those days the kit came with a Dural U/C and nylon bolts. It wasn't long before a landing took it off. The result was that the U/C rolled around under the wings and the wheels left two large dents. I decided to use metal bolts after that and it never came off again. This was the original kit version and I must have built the mounting strongly enough to withstand anything I did to it from then on. ARTF models seem to suffer from lack of strength in this area all too often.

The problem with models that have an U/C made from a 2 dimensional material is that there is no fore and aft spring it's all up and down. This is where wire U/Cs come into their own as there is a component of rearward give when the plane comes down hard on a resistive surface. Wire U/Cs rule!

A.

Thread: Shrink Film Covering Technique
15/06/2020 11:09:14
Posted by Andy Joyce on 14/06/2020 17:36:58:

Given the Seagull balsa (what left of it) is like soft butter used Eze Kote to harden the surface. Well impressed by that product and was tempted to continue to use it and cover the model in light weight cloth. However cost would be significant given I think I paid £17 for a bottle...

Andy,

I have found that Dulux Diamond Glaze is very similar to EzeKote and a lot cheaper. You do have to buy 1litre minimum at about £40 but if you price EasyKote by the litre it works out at £226. Diamond Hard glaze is available in gloss and satin also in various tints. It can be thinned with water to make it go further.

diamond.jpg

A.

Edited By Andy Stephenson on 15/06/2020 11:10:15

Thread: Diesel vs glow on a .5cc engine
14/06/2020 22:49:21

A lot of the older engines had no facility for R/C throttle but more importantly they used sub-piston-induction. This is where the skirt of the piston rises above the edge of the exhaust port to draw air directly into the crankcase. These engines were never designed to have silencers in an era when noise wasn't the problem as it is today. Putting any kind of muffler on an engine with SPI ruins the performance because instead of air, exhaust fumes are drawn in during SPI part of the cycle. If you were to add a throttle to an SPI engine it probably wouldn't have worked very well as the carb doesn't control all of the air supply. For reliable running but a classic smell and sound of diesel I would recommend PAW engines which allow for throttling and muffling.

A.

Thread: British Nats in the 60s
14/06/2020 14:13:18
Posted by Dickw on 14/06/2020 12:26:22:

Thanks for posting that video Peter. I was a regular competitor (and camper) at the Nationals in the 60s but never saw any of that because I was always at the CL combat circles with my mates. Nice to catch up with what I missed at last!

I do remember the evening "free for alls" - great fun.

Dick

At Hullavington I saw C/L combat for the first time and it was the best spectator sport at the Nats. They were going all out, no-holds-barred and damn the damage. Some of the competitors had long trailers containing racks of may be a dozen models in various states of readiness from fully rigged down to bare airframes. Then there was the thwack of a combat model going into the turf at full bore and the pit man hauling it out, wiping off the mud and hitting the prop and throwing it again all in one movement, best entertainment.

A.

Edited By Andy Stephenson on 14/06/2020 14:13:47

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
14/06/2020 13:46:20

From the Daily Mail this morning...

Couple who were wrongly arrested over Gatwick drone that sparked three day of Christmas flight chaos in 2018 receive £200,000 in compensation

Rush to judgement much?

A.

Edited By Andy Stephenson on 14/06/2020 13:47:14

Thread: Need a new fuel pump (glow fuel)
13/06/2020 21:05:45

After trying several types of glow fuel pump and some of them twice or more, This is the best type so far. I have seen other fliers use one of these for decades trouble-free. The advice is to mount the pump with the motor uppermost so if the fuel leaks through the seals it can't reach the brushes in the motor and clag it up.

https://www.jperkins.com/products/6631300

A.

Thread: Diesel vs glow on a .5cc engine
13/06/2020 13:46:38

Sorry Phil, My memory is a bit hazy, numbers remembered incorrectly, perhaps you should use names like with the glow fuels. Anyway which ever is the middle one of the 3 that's the one I would use.

Andy.

12/06/2020 17:00:44

The PAW .55cc R/C is a great engine. It throttles well and there is a silencer available for it. Is best run on Model Techniques D1500 fuel. I designed a 36" sticks and tissue mini Panic for the .55 which flew well at 14Oz. Diesels are a bit of an art to get running nicely as it's a balance between mixture and compression adjustment but well worth it when run-in.

I would say the DC Dart is a bit outdated with no R/C throttle or silencer available, its from the 1960s when all landings were all dead-stick and no one worried about noise.

A.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!