By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for FlyinBrian

Here is a list of all the postings FlyinBrian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Aeromaster
31/03/2020 11:25:17

I find the two ailerons are fine, I did convert the upper wing on one build to have ailerons but to be honest I don't think it added anything; as Nigel says it is very aerobatic on two ailerons.

Thread: Brian Austins aeromodelling memoirs wanted please
25/03/2020 18:29:55

Brian

If you still have it I would very much like to buy it from you

Cheers

Brian

Thread: Motor query
25/03/2020 11:14:26

You do not need to know what those acronyms mean however be aware that each manufacturer of 2.4 Ghz equipment use their own protocol ( Futaba FAAST for example) and the will not work with other makes of kit.

All major manufacturers equipment is reliable and even most of the budget priced kit is good.

Visit a local club and see what is being used there, handle some Txs and see how they feel then decide.

Thread: Thinning Araldite
13/03/2020 11:57:33

If its the five minute version it will set very very quick if you warm it, the slower varieties should be fine

Thread: English language ?
13/03/2020 11:55:56

A couple that irritate me....

"Little baby" - are they all not little?

"Return back", - surely return on its own is adequate

Thread: Nano Tech Cels
08/03/2020 11:55:27

+1 for Zippy Compacts

Thread: Wot 4 Foam E Mk2 - CoG
07/03/2020 12:21:44
Posted by Peter Christy on 07/03/2020 11:37:57:

The manual is WRONG! If you set it to 70mm, it will constantly try and dive into the deck (737 syndrome!).

Mine flew fine with no ballast required, once I'd discovered this. Mine is now deceased following an unexpected diversion through a blinding sun, and I won't be replacing it! The very floppy tailplane made it divergent in pitch, which made it difficult to establish a correct trim.

OK for stick banging, but not a nice flying machine. Glad to be shut of it!

--

Pete

I totally agree re the floppy tailplane, I ended up framing the tail with hard 1/16 balsa and then filmed over it, its OK now.

Thread: Hospitalised, my own fault - but ?
12/02/2020 11:53:29

A few years ago I had prepared my WOT4 Foam-E and was just about to go out to the patch. Another club member had just started to walk out so I decided to wait and placed my model at the side of one of the set up tables, the port wing was poking under the table however I did not unplug the battery!. The tx was standing on the table and I leaned onto the table with my bum. The table tilted and the tx fell forward pushing the throttle stick open. The model leapt forward and pivoting around the table leg attacked my foot. As I was wearing sandals I got two hefty cuts across the top of my foot. Fortunately with the assistance of other club members the blood was staunched and I took my self off to A&E where I received three stitches in one gash and four in the other. Fortunately there was no nerve damage but the top of my foot still goes a bit numb sometimes.

My own stupid fault but easy to do!

Thread: Web Cam?
08/02/2020 11:12:12

The main problem will be to stop it getting nicked or vandalised.

Thread: OS FSR engines
01/02/2020 12:05:18

I thought the liner flaking started with the FX series, my 40 FSR was fine but the 40FX needed a new liner and piston plus bearings after a couple of hours running.

I also has a .61FSR which I used with an E.D. pipe in my Super Star, boy that was a powerful motor.

Thread: Heat shrink covering
10/01/2020 13:28:08

I have used Oracover (Profilm) for years and it is the best film I have used. HK film is also very good and much cheaper. I could never get on with Solarfilm though Solartex was good.

Thread: Hello from a warm South Africa
10/01/2020 13:24:58

Hi Corne

Welcome to the forum.

Where in SA are you? I get to Durban about once a year and I do have a model all set up that I use when there.

Thread: Selling vintage kits question
10/01/2020 13:21:32

Value will depend purely on what they are, most old kits do go up in value but relatively slowly.

I would not expect to pay tax on private sales.

You could try putting a couple on ebay and see what they fetch.

Someone on here may be able to give a better answer if you list the kits

Thread: ESC overheating.
08/01/2020 12:50:38

I don't know the answer as to whether more heat is generated at reduced throttle but as the majority of a models flight is at less than WOT it would seem that ESCs are designed to cope with this,

Thread: BMFA Renewal Certificate
07/12/2019 10:51:10

Thanks Guys

Indeed the certificate was attached to the confirmation email blush

06/12/2019 12:33:47

I have just renewed my BMFA membership and can find no way to print my new certificate. Last year I was able to do this.

Has anyone else managed to print their cert? if so how?

Ta

Thread: Valve work
02/12/2019 12:48:16

I had an SC 91 with a valve that used to stick every now and again. I just took off the rocker cover and gave it a push and pull and it would be fine until it had been stored for a few weeks.

Thread: Aeromaster
29/11/2019 12:24:03
Posted by kc on 28/11/2019 12:49:46:

The original versions used engines like Merco 61 etc which are probably more equivalent to a modern 60 four stroke than a 90. Even a 60 four stroke seems maximum for a 48 inch span bipe!

All of my Aeromasters have been the double swept wing 52" versions. Early ones were powered by an HP 61 and an OS 61 FSR, both were ample power. Later ones have had OS 91 Four strokes and ASP four stroke, again ample power.

28/11/2019 12:31:04

I have built at least six Aeromaster bipes, as you may assume I like em. My first was from a plan loaned to me by Ken Binks in the late 60's, I have also built one from the Great Planes Super Aeromaster kit which is basically the same as the original but uses bolt on wings and u/c plus a round cowl.

While the build is lengthy it is not hard.

My current Aeromaster is a bit of a bitsa with a second hand fus, the bottom wing from a previous model and a self built top wing.

I have an unstarted GP Super Aeromaster kit tucked away - Just in case!

I have also had a Stringalong but the AM is a much better aeroplane IMHO

Thread: Boddo's Biggles Biplane
21/10/2019 11:22:26

My ex Boss owned a Tiger Moth based at Sywell, Northants. I went up with him once and my recollection is that it seemed to take off, fly and land at the same speed!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us