By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bucksboy

Here is a list of all the postings Bucksboy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.
28/10/2018 14:23:04

I’ll ask then, how many orders do you need to produce a kit? One that doesn’t leave you out of pocket?

Thread: log in
26/10/2018 08:22:04

Mine constantly asks me to log in, even if I tick the ‘remember me’ box. But there isn’t a box to write a reply unless you are logged so I’m confused about how you write a reply without logging in first.

Thread: Drone problems...
22/10/2018 15:07:36

I can offer no solution, the manufacturers have made them so very easy to fly, anyone with the money, can and does fly as we all know. The trouble is I can see no help over the horizon either. The Police have been cut beyond effectiveness so it will be near the bottom of their list of priorities even if you call them, and I'm retired Plod myself. In your case you can actually see the pilot, so the Police have got someone to talk to should they arrive in time. Most cases you wont know where the pilot is, even if the officer see's the drone in the sky, how do they find the pilot to talk to? I also now fly them professionally but not in the UK and regularly get them (DJI brand) over 4km away from me.

My club does allow and encourage them but there does seem to be the belief that once you've bought the machine, all responsibility for flying it safely and within the law can be ignored. A modern problem that will only get worse I'm afraid.

Edited By Bucksboy on 22/10/2018 15:08:34

Thread: For those that are always flying into trees or walls
08/10/2018 15:06:25

I saw one from two years ago that mimicked a mosquito. The theory was that the machine could fly somewhere, then attached itself to the wall or whatever surface. This allowed it to conserve power whilst the camera streamed pictures to the rescue services. As the situation changed, the machine could then fly to another perch to get a better view. It used large but very slender legs to grip, just like this one but it was quad copter based.

Thread: Hitec Aurora 9 help please
06/10/2018 14:46:55

I use the Aurora, I'll try to help. What is an RC exp V2.0 fill switch though?

Thread: Flightline Spitfire?
01/10/2018 17:01:03

I hope so, mine arrived last week! All the reviews suggest it’s a well designed plane that flies well and looks great. Mine won’t fly until November though so I’ve got to wait a bit longer yet.

Thread: Laser cut parts
27/09/2018 15:57:15

When I first started building from laser cut parts I was unsure how the charring would affect the glue. I tested numerous parts, some heavily charred, some sanded off. I then deliberately broke the joints, I couldn’t notice a jot of difference and consequently never bother about the charring, I glue them as they come. I use cyno a lot if this makes any difference.

Thread: Flightline 1600mm Spitfires????????
22/09/2018 19:08:24

I've just ordered mine from Motion RC Europe, they're now showing out of stock so I must have ordered one of their last ones. I looked at the upgrades and I could buy a 3d printed cockpit set for about £25. But, at the moment they're allowing you to download the files and print your own for free. Well, in my case, get a friend to print them for you. The downside is that I'm not home until November to fly it. laugh

Thread: Saito Glow Plugs
16/09/2018 14:47:10

Another vote for the OS F plug. Mine runs happily on 5% though.

16/09/2018 14:46:54

Another vote for the OS F plug. Mine runs happily on 5% though.

Thread: BMFA subs increase.
11/09/2018 16:07:37

It’s £4 a year extra. Heavens, let’s worry about something important.

Thread: Purchase of flying land
10/09/2018 14:59:38

Chesham model flying club own their own field too, they seem very happy with it. If you need a second opinion, contact them and ask their advice. I’m not a member so cannot answer any questions about it.

Thread: RC for Search and Rescue
07/09/2018 19:08:37

I fly off the shelf DJI Phantoms and Inspires at over 4 km distance but not in the UK. We use them as they’re relatively cheap and they work well virtually every time. I use them in the search role, going places it’s too dangerous to go in person. I’m sure they’re use will continue to grow but it’s not as much fun as proper model flying.

Thread: St Austell gets new strip
22/07/2018 04:11:24

We laid an AstroTurf strip a few years ago for exactly the same reasons. We were lucky enough to get ours for free but then paid to have it laid. Best thing we ever did, good luck with yours!

22/07/2018 04:11:22

We laid an AstroTurf strip a few years ago for exactly the same reasons. We were lucky enough to get ours for free but then paid to have it laid. Best thing we ever did, good luck with yours!

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
02/07/2018 16:53:40

It's a tool that the plastic modellers use to bend their photo etched parts. I'd expect Hannants and others to stock them.

Thread: MAK 15 MP
18/06/2018 21:14:11

I can get the Russian text translated if you need it.

Thread: Setting up a remote webcam at the clubs fields
03/06/2018 15:42:08

Chris,

Thank you very much, Camsecure seem to be exactly what we need. I see that Raydon Model Aircraft Club already use them. I've emailed both Camsecure and the Chairman of Raydon to see if I can gather further details, looks very promising though.

We only use a single photo every 5 minutes as it keeps the power needs of the phone down and allows us to use a cheap SIM card to send the photos from the mobile phone to the website. Our mobile phone looks through a tiny hole that the occasional vandal misses completely, we're keen to not have an external and obvious camera, it will become a target for sure. They found the solar panel fixed to the roof (it was invisible from the ground) and smashed that so an external camera would need to be made of cast iron.

Fingers crossed!

03/06/2018 04:58:37

We never went down the route of a remote access windspeed / weather station so cannot help regarding the above.

Our existing system takes a photo every 5 minutes during daylight hours and this is linked into the Club website. You can see if your mates are at the field before you decide to go or not. A piece of plastic blowing in the wind, deliberately in shot, gives a very rough indication of the wind speed.

In the 4 years we've had it the world has moved on. All the apps I've found last night are for beaming a live feed from one mobile phone to another using wi-fi. Be it for home security/baby monitoring etc. This is not what we want so the search continues.

02/06/2018 19:28:53

Colin, I saw that opensmartcam are stopping at the end of the year, it's a real shame. It's really handy having a beady eye on the club during the day, time to search the net for a replacement.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2019
Motion RC
Slec
Gliders Distribution
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us