By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for leccyflyer

Here is a list of all the postings leccyflyer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spektrum AR 620 RXs
24/11/2020 18:50:16

Love 'em - just to get away from those awful bind plugs makes the worth their weight in gold and they are so neat and tidy to install.

Thread: How do you cut yours?
24/11/2020 18:36:43

I like to print out the parts on A4 paper and stick them in place with a Pritt stick - the way that the original Model Designs short kits were done. Bear in mind if using a photocopier that they often are not 100% dimensionally correct - sometimes one axis is underscale relative to the other. Then cut out with a sharp scalpel blade or with the scroll saw if it's ply.

Thread: Haven't any people on YouTube heard of grease?
24/11/2020 08:09:39
Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 23/11/2020 20:04:54:

Grease on the axle would attract dirt and would quickly turn to grinding paste.

That's good advice.

Thread: Cambrian ME109 Funfighter electric build
23/11/2020 21:39:15

Nice job on the Emil Martin - looking great there.

Thread: Cambrian funfighter spitfire as a slope soarer
23/11/2020 19:29:34

Here's a couple of piccies - first to show the ingenious ballasted spinner fixing that my pal Derek fitted to the Spitfire for balance. That's a ring of velcro, with a neat little metal hook, which grabs the nosering.

Cambrian Spitfire PSS

Second, here's the cover plate that I made up to fit over the big 'ole when I removed the OS.25 and replaced it with an AXI 2820/10 on my Spitfire. It's just layered up over a foam plug, from a couple of layers of lightweight glasscloth, slathered with epoxy and microballoons, in situ. Then fixed with tiny self tappers. If I wanted to go back to electric instead of PSS it preserves the motor cavity as usable.

Cambrian Spitfire Cover Plate

23/11/2020 18:48:54

David, I've weighed the airframes and made a few calculations, which seem to reinforce my impressions from flying the models.

The lightest Spitfire LO-K weighs in at 2.25lbs (1020g) AUW, giving a wing loading around 15oz/sq ft.

The heavier Spitfire RF-A weighs in at 2.7lbs (1230g) AUW giving a wing loading around 18oz/sq ft

The Bf109E weighs in at 2.9lbs (1310g) AUW giving a wing loading around 19oz/sq ft.

RF-A geared up weighed almost the same as LO-K, having taken the motor, ESC and battery but she needed 250g of ballast to balance.

23/11/2020 13:03:40

From what I've seen he latest incarnations of the Cambrian Spitfire kits are suitable for electric flight and potentially build much lighter than the original Cambrian Spitfire kits. I'm just on my lunch at the moment, but after work I'll weigh the three Cambrian models and that will give an idea of why/how the Spitfires show as a better slope soarer.

22/11/2020 22:22:40

II found my Cambrian Bf109e to be a bit marginal as a PSS sloper. It's one of the older kits, from the 90's and has the heavy ply doublers, so needs a good blow to stay in the air, She flew very well as an electric conversion though. For the conversion to PSS I just took out the AXI motor, put a big nylon bolt through the spinner, with a ply backplate and captive nut inside the motor mount, added a receiver pack and a fair bit of ballast to balance. The Emil broke her back for the second time on the day this picture was taken and hasn't flown since. I made the cover plate to cover the big hole when I converted the model to electric originally. I think I would just fit a block of foam, coated with glasscloth, epoxy and microballoons, like I did with the Spitfire.

cambrianbf109slope.jpg

brimmond 7th june-1.jpg

I think the Spitfire has slightly more wing area, because I have a pair of Cambrian Spitfires -one that previously flew with an OS.25FP and then an AXI 2820/10 (RF-A) and one which was built as a PSS model by a pal (LO-K), which is much lighter and flies beautifully. One Spitfire brought down the other in a mid air and I now have both of them. Still waiting for a chance to maiden my pal's model that he passed on to me. I'd say based on four examples - he has another lightweight Cambrian Spitfire in PRU Blue - that the Spitfire does make a better PSS model than the Bf109e.. They all benefit from >10mph wind and are great fun. The Emil has a functional rudder, neither of the Spitfires do - I don't think any of them need it.

spitfirepass.jpg

LO-K has a really nice design for the spinner, which is filled with lead and removable, clipping into the nosering with a neat little metal tab. That one lacks the heavy ply doublers of the Bf-109E and RF-A. I really should weigh them all and calculate the wing loading, which I will do in the week. Best of luck with your conversion to PSS.

Edited By leccyflyer on 22/11/2020 22:24:01

Thread: The Dark Nights Fix-up 2020
22/11/2020 17:46:14

More work on the Kyosho Spitfire refurb - got the aileron servos mounted, the snakesall sorted an installed for the rudder and elevator, the tailplane mounted and the damaged lower bout and hinge line of the rudder repaired. A bit of everything today, lots of bitty little jobs, but continuing to make gradual progress.
Schoolboy error ordering the oleos for the retracts yesterday, measuring the length including the 5mm mounting pin, which makes them ca 20mm too long. The order was already completed, but luckily they also had the right length on stock, so I ordered those and that means I'll just have a spare set to put in the drawer.

Thread: Liteply compositionPoplar 87%
21/11/2020 12:42:38

It was indeed Mantua Models who supplied the balsaply available from Blackburn Models. I found the post that I made in 2003 describing the material and it even had a picture attached. balsaply4mm.jpg

21/11/2020 12:12:45
Posted by Martin Dance 1 on 21/11/2020 11:22:47:

It seems that there is several types of light ply using different materials. Poplar is one timber in use but that seems to be sourced from different Poplar species. Mantua models stock light ply, beautiful stuff, white in colour and dead flat not all light ply is like that. Snag, the pieces are only 200mm wide, so could be expensive to make fuselage sides from it. In the 79;s Graupner used a balsa ply in some of their kits, again beautiful stuff, don't whether they sold it as a sheet material.

I think it might have been Mantua Models who made the balsa ply that I sourced from Blackburn Models some years ago. It was definitely balsa and definitely different than the commonly available Liteply and lightply, including that in Flair kits. A completely different material.

21/11/2020 09:07:04

It's a while since I last bought balsaply but it definitely exists, I have a few sheets somewhere. It;s very nice, but IIRC more expensive than liteply at the time. Have been using liteply since the 1990s and havenpt detected any difference in it's composition, It;s always been that sort of material and I haven't noticed any replacement of a balsa core with anything else- don;t think it was there in the first place.

20/11/2020 23:55:08

Blackburn Model Centre certainly used to sell balsa ply - three or five ply balsawood. I don;t think anyone ever claimed that liteply was balsa.

Edited By leccyflyer on 20/11/2020 23:56:00

Thread: Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang
19/11/2020 21:40:03

Thanks Glynn -I was very pleasantly surprised to receive some of the spacers this morning, I thought that they were something that needed to be ordered.

17/11/2020 21:38:05

Yes Peter - that's a good read. The scope for different colour schemes and aeroplanes to model is vast with the P-51 and, of course there is a wealth of published information available. As well as the Aircraft of the Aces series Richard mentions the Mustang gets some fantastic colour plates by Rikyu Watanabe in Robert Grinsell's monograph on the P-51. Lots and lots of schemes available online too.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
14/11/2020 17:57:01

1727 ripmax spit pass e.jpgI'm on my second Ripmax Spitfire and they are a belting model - as you say they were about £70-ish and they are not that rare, popping up on eBay regularly where they typically go for £70-120- ish, geared up.

Edited By leccyflyer on 14/11/2020 17:59:15

Thread: The Dark Nights Fix-up 2020
14/11/2020 17:54:01

Finished the motor mounting on the Kyosho Spitfire. The space frame made from threaded steel rod with aluminium tube spacers and a pair of AXI radial mounts is very solid and rigid, but adjustable to a fraction of a mm using washers to pack the back of the front mount. At the moment it is set up with the thrustline normal to the firewall and that gives a nice fit of the spinner to the front of the fibreglass cowl. I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Kyosho Spitfire Axi Motor Mountg

Kyosho Spitfire cowl

14/11/2020 09:56:52

That's a great idea for an article in RCM&E Jeff. This thread could be a stimulus for that.

14/11/2020 09:46:37
Posted by GrumpyGnome on 14/11/2020 06:21:30:

Looking good!

I too visited the loft and am now going to refurb existing 'benched' planes instead of buying yet more. A dozen or so have been moved to the garage but a few remain to have some attention.....

1. SIG Ultimate fun fly - just sourced an ASP off ebay for it. Just needs fitting out

2. Pushycat - needs new motor, fitting out and some general tidying up

3. Balsacraft FW190 that used to look like this (which I was quite proud of), but is now looking very sorry for itself with all the covering stripped off and several areas of balsa skinning removed ready to fix...

Balsacraft FW190

I doubt this will be fixed before start of summer 2020

GG

Nice job on the BC FW190 GG - once I get the Kyosho Spitfire off the Dark Nights book I could do worse than add my unfinished BC FW190 to the challenge as well - so I'll be interested to see your refinish.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
14/11/2020 09:13:01

£300+ for a Ripmax Spitfire kit. Really?

**LINK**

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Subscribe now
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!