By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for leccyflyer

Here is a list of all the postings leccyflyer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Poll for who intends to register.
18/05/2019 09:58:05
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 18/05/2019 09:33:57:
Posted by Martin Harris on 17/05/2019 23:50:20:

Threatening to flout the law could be interpreted as being much the same as the irresponsible faction that have brought about the excuse for this legislation. The commercial interests driving the process would love to see us painted in the same light.

Nail hit firmly on the head there.

Agreed - that's exactly the sort of ammunition that those much more powerful interests than aeromodellers can muster would be delighted with.

18/05/2019 09:55:53

I'll be flying, registering, staying within the law and not worrying too much about whether it costs the same as a mid range servo or at the high end a mod range receiver, per annum, to maintain that registration. I doubt it will make the slightest difference to illegal operation of drones/UAVs or whatever, but it was inevitable given the sort of incidents that have been picked up by the media.

Thread: What's your rate limiting step?
22/03/2019 12:19:37

Painting. Got lots of airframes finished to the point of getting the paint on there - tissue and doped, ready to go - but just aren't set up for painting models at the moment. Some have been at that point for several years.

Thread: NEW POLL - Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?
21/03/2019 23:40:36
Posted by Model Monster on 21/03/2019 17:42:53:

We could do with a Psychiatrist.

We've got one! Nice chap with an excellent sense of humour.

Both of my clubs also have a safety officer, but the BMFA is pretty clear that the responsibility for safety lies with the pilot, so we should all remember that.

Thread: 4 max motors
17/03/2019 08:36:55

I've never dealt with 4Max and have no axe to grind with them whatsoever - my comments relate to the general principle of doing web business and the statements made about it being absolutely necessary to check stock availability by telephone before ordering.

As previous posters have also mentioned I've had excellent service from Steve Webb's Servoshop. Leeds Model Shop and also from Gliders UK (my current lipo seller of choice) and ElectricWingman . There are a number of ebay shops that I regularly use as well, for specific items, and their service has been very good indeed, with no hassles. I've never called to check stock availability before ordering online with any of those retailers.. I'd note that I previously received superb service from Puffin Models, before John Emms retired and from Giantcod, before they expired.

17/03/2019 05:16:08

Yes Jonathan, that's how things should be done -which is as I described earlier. If something isn't in stock the retailer should contact the customer, not the other way around. All of the entreaties to telephone seem to have missed the point made by the OP more than once, that he has telephoned and hadn't got an answer multiple times after having not received his goods.

Furthermore I made no assumption that only retired people had time to telephone, I pointed out that always telephoning to check stock availability wasn't for everyone, especially those folks who choose to order online in the evenings, in their free time- using the actual website ordering which is the virtual shop window for the retailers. I've dealt with lots of one man bands in the hobby trade, including those very small operations with ebay shops and, funnily enough, they seem to have working stock control systems on their websites and web shops which indicate what is in stock and what isn't, without needing any checking by telephone beforehand.

16/03/2019 14:38:31

It's 2019, not 1919.

If a trader has a website through which it is possible to make an order then that ought to have decent stock control, not require a telephone call to check stock availability.

Those who are not retired and do not have spare time during the day might wish to order online in the evenings, when a telephone call is not appropriate, The mantra to always ring to check the availability of stock simply isn't right for everyone, and it falls on the retailer to know what they have in stock. If you are showing something as in stock on the website then it ought to be in stock. If it isn't in stock, because and your website doesn;t have decent stock control then the correct thing for the retailer to do is to contact the customer immediately - not for the customer to have to wait and check by telephone on their own initiative.

Thread: Big Trouble in Model Britain
10/03/2019 08:28:50

Thanks so much for posting that, I'd missed the programme entirely.

Having watched the programme and, though I'm not a model railway enthusiast, I feel immensely gratified to be a part of the greater modelling community. It was a beautifully crafted programme and what came through, for me, was what a thoroughly nice bunch of gentle folk modellers are. Persoinally I can;t stand Top Gear, but James May is a consummate presenter and writer of such programmes, and the modeller is treated with respect and genuine affection in his offerings.

Made up for the folks at Airfix with the success of their new model. Like many of us , I know that Airfix was a very important part of my not growing up and hundreds of aeroplanes built over the years - not to any great standard - have been a cause of much enjoyment. It's many years since I've built a plastic kit, but I can definitely relate to the S.A.B.L.E comment in the programme and there's a whole cupboard full of plastic kits, bought with the excuse that they would provide some scale detail inspiration for flying models. Maybe it's time to get out the polystyrene cement and paintbrushes for a bit of nostalgia.

Thanks again for an hour well spent.

Thread: hobbyking prices
09/03/2019 05:59:46
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 08/03/2019 16:45:46:

Solarfilm would still be available if people had bought it instead of going elsewhere...... but sadly, once the bridges are burned........

But it was both more expensive and more prone to wrinkling than the HK film so it's no surprise that people didn't want to buy Solarfilm.

Indeed - Solarfilm isn;t a patch (no pun intended) on some of the more modern films - the HK covering film in silver that I've used is miles better than Solarfilm and is a bit more like Profilm/Oracover in use.

Thread: Solarfilm
07/03/2019 20:42:20
Posted by Percy Verance on 07/03/2019 20:31:11:

I just looked at the Airtek site and I noticed a product I'd not previously seen, called Balsabond. Made by MD Products. A possible replacement for Balsaloc perhaps?

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/03/2019 20:34:04

The only difference is that it must be shaken, not stirred......

Thread: Zipcar - Vehicle Sharing Club
03/03/2019 16:12:37

Enterprise has a similar car club in Edinburgh with various parking spaces dotted about the city and a small fleet of cars doing the rounds. Seems like a good idea for those who might need a car in the city for a day or two - as the parking space is vital to making the system work.

However the users need ediucating on the parking as their spaces -prominently marked - are immediately adjacent to parking spaces for Solo motorcycles only and the car club members routinely park next to the sign, ignoring the 18" high Solo M/Cs only signs painted on the space - to then get ticketed by the traffic wardens. I've seen the same car collect three tickets in two days, and other cars collect at least one - all whilst the actual designated parking space sits empty.

Thread: Eric Brown
09/02/2019 20:46:43

Cliff

Sadly BEB is no longer with us, this is an old thread that has been brought up again over four years since it;s last post.

Thread: Hurricane - 303 Movie Due For Imminent Release
09/02/2019 08:56:29

It's not a film about Bomber Command, it's a film dealing with the thorny and very contemporary subjects of Anglo-US relations and the social upheavals of the war and what was to come in the post-War years, coupled with a thought-provoking discussion on the survival of human personality after death - viz "I don't know, I've never thought about it" vs . "I don't know, I've thought about it too much".

Thread: What would be a good Watt Meter to buy?
09/02/2019 07:51:14

Personally I prefer to use a Graupner clamp meter, as it;s so convenient to use, without having to fit it is series in the power train. I initially has an AstroFlight wattmeter, which is a nice piece of kit, but I rarely used it at the field, it would get used once or twice in setting up a model, or in bench testing, but rarely at the field. With the clamp meter all you need to do is clamp the meter around one of the battery leads and measure the current draw - you pretty much know the voltage of a fully charged pack anyway, so it's simple mental arithmetic to derive the watts, if that is what you are looking for, If you;re mainly interested in knowing that the current draw for a battery-motor-prop is within spec, then that'r right there on the meter. It takes 10 seconds.

Also, if your clubmate wants to know what the current draw is on his model there's nomfaffing around with different connectors or adaptors, it;s just a matter of clamping the meter around one wire and that's it. Very convenient.

I think I've used my AstroFlight Wattmeter twice since getting the clamp meter.

Be aware if you decide to go the clamp meter route it has to be a pukka DC capable clamp meter, the cheapy eBay AC clamp meters won;t do the job.

Thread: Hurricane - 303 Movie Due For Imminent Release
09/02/2019 07:21:20

It's definitely odd the way that we see things differently. A Matter Of Life And Death is my favourite film of all time, a cinematic classic. If you think that it is about Peter Carter being en route to heaven the entire point of the film has probably passed you by. The preamble even states categorically that isn't the case. It's a Powell and Pressburger Masterpiece with remarkable performances by David Niven, Roger Livesey and Kim Hunter. I must have seen the film dozens of times but each time it comes on, I'll watch it again, all the way through.

As regards flying scenes and shots, the single short segment of the Mosquito flying over Peter Carter as he is in the dunes on the beach is worth more than two hours of glorified computer game style CGI which makes up a large part of more modern films..

It's very easy to fall back on the premise that at least this offering gets the story of the Polish pilots out to a wider audience, but that doesn't mean that with our enthusiasts' eyes we shouldn't expect excellence in the flying scenes as well. As pointed out above Dark Blue Wold told the story of the Czech pilots very well, and did have some decent flying scenes, but is barely heard of outside of the aviation enthusiast's Dark Blue World.

Once again just my opinion

04/02/2019 12:56:39

The flying schemes looking fake is a function of CGI, not in spite of it. Haven't seen this one yet and will wait for it to come on the telly, but practically all of the more modern flying films have been hugely disappointing, looking like a glorified computer game, through overuse of CGI and completely unrealistic application of those techniques. Gimmicky "bomb's eye" viewpoints remain just gimmicks and the finished CGI products can't hold a candle to the real life aerial choreography of Battle of Britain, or even Piece of Cake as seen on TV yesterday, using real aeroplanes.

Thread: Modelling Board / Pin Board.
27/01/2019 21:47:57

Yep - my Sundeala mounted on blockboard is also still warp free six years later and as flat as when it was instaled.

Thread: EBay Ads by Forum Members
27/01/2019 12:55:53

Insisting on Paypal payments being "Friends and Family" aka Gift is effectively applying a surcharge, as you;ve stated that the Seller must receive the full value, with no Paypal fees. The buyer loses the protection offered by Paypal.

27/01/2019 12:42:00

Yes, but that doesn't mean you can fail to offer Paypal as an option, as you found out when attempting to do so.

Thread: Modelling Board / Pin Board.
27/01/2019 12:19:07

The trouble with the green fibreboard is that it doesn't hold a pin tightly, they are typically a wee bit sloppy and can move. Not the same grip as Sundeala. It's a shame, because it's much cheaper and easier to get hold of.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Motion RC
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us