By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for leccyflyer

Here is a list of all the postings leccyflyer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hurricane - 303 Movie Due For Imminent Release
09/02/2019 08:56:29

It's not a film about Bomber Command, it's a film dealing with the thorny and very contemporary subjects of Anglo-US relations and the social upheavals of the war and what was to come in the post-War years, coupled with a thought-provoking discussion on the survival of human personality after death - viz "I don't know, I've never thought about it" vs . "I don't know, I've thought about it too much".

Thread: What would be a good Watt Meter to buy?
09/02/2019 07:51:14

Personally I prefer to use a Graupner clamp meter, as it;s so convenient to use, without having to fit it is series in the power train. I initially has an AstroFlight wattmeter, which is a nice piece of kit, but I rarely used it at the field, it would get used once or twice in setting up a model, or in bench testing, but rarely at the field. With the clamp meter all you need to do is clamp the meter around one of the battery leads and measure the current draw - you pretty much know the voltage of a fully charged pack anyway, so it's simple mental arithmetic to derive the watts, if that is what you are looking for, If you;re mainly interested in knowing that the current draw for a battery-motor-prop is within spec, then that'r right there on the meter. It takes 10 seconds.

Also, if your clubmate wants to know what the current draw is on his model there's nomfaffing around with different connectors or adaptors, it;s just a matter of clamping the meter around one wire and that's it. Very convenient.

I think I've used my AstroFlight Wattmeter twice since getting the clamp meter.

Be aware if you decide to go the clamp meter route it has to be a pukka DC capable clamp meter, the cheapy eBay AC clamp meters won;t do the job.

Thread: Hurricane - 303 Movie Due For Imminent Release
09/02/2019 07:21:20

It's definitely odd the way that we see things differently. A Matter Of Life And Death is my favourite film of all time, a cinematic classic. If you think that it is about Peter Carter being en route to heaven the entire point of the film has probably passed you by. The preamble even states categorically that isn't the case. It's a Powell and Pressburger Masterpiece with remarkable performances by David Niven, Roger Livesey and Kim Hunter. I must have seen the film dozens of times but each time it comes on, I'll watch it again, all the way through.

As regards flying scenes and shots, the single short segment of the Mosquito flying over Peter Carter as he is in the dunes on the beach is worth more than two hours of glorified computer game style CGI which makes up a large part of more modern films..

It's very easy to fall back on the premise that at least this offering gets the story of the Polish pilots out to a wider audience, but that doesn't mean that with our enthusiasts' eyes we shouldn't expect excellence in the flying scenes as well. As pointed out above Dark Blue Wold told the story of the Czech pilots very well, and did have some decent flying scenes, but is barely heard of outside of the aviation enthusiast's Dark Blue World.

Once again just my opinion

04/02/2019 12:56:39

The flying schemes looking fake is a function of CGI, not in spite of it. Haven't seen this one yet and will wait for it to come on the telly, but practically all of the more modern flying films have been hugely disappointing, looking like a glorified computer game, through overuse of CGI and completely unrealistic application of those techniques. Gimmicky "bomb's eye" viewpoints remain just gimmicks and the finished CGI products can't hold a candle to the real life aerial choreography of Battle of Britain, or even Piece of Cake as seen on TV yesterday, using real aeroplanes.

Thread: Modelling Board / Pin Board.
27/01/2019 21:47:57

Yep - my Sundeala mounted on blockboard is also still warp free six years later and as flat as when it was instaled.

Thread: EBay Ads by Forum Members
27/01/2019 12:55:53

Insisting on Paypal payments being "Friends and Family" aka Gift is effectively applying a surcharge, as you;ve stated that the Seller must receive the full value, with no Paypal fees. The buyer loses the protection offered by Paypal.

27/01/2019 12:42:00

Yes, but that doesn't mean you can fail to offer Paypal as an option, as you found out when attempting to do so.

27/01/2019 12:19:07

The trouble with the green fibreboard is that it doesn't hold a pin tightly, they are typically a wee bit sloppy and can move. Not the same grip as Sundeala. It's a shame, because it's much cheaper and easier to get hold of.

Thread: EBay Ads by Forum Members
27/01/2019 12:16:08

You can offer cash on collection, but you must also offer Paypal, and can't apply a surcharge or discourage a buyer from using Paypal. That's eBay's policy.

**LINK**

The buyer can agree to cash on collection, but they are not compelled to.

Thread: E Flight Hurricaine Prop ?
27/01/2019 10:03:38

I'd say that there will be no significant difference between the APC-E 12x7 and the EFlite 11.75" x7" . The thinner profile of the APC-E versus the E-Flite prop will more than likely offset the minimal blade length difference in terms of current draw. I wouldn't recommend trimming the prop, for no obvious benefit.

Thread: German WW2 Insignia
26/01/2019 14:26:41

On a slightly lighter note, regarding symbology and with particular mention of Allied insignia and the comparison with Nazi symbology, this skit by Mitchell and Webb is a nice turnaround.

https://youtu.be/qv2XGQBcvxQ
26/01/2019 14:21:04

I've changed my mind on this topic. At one time I was all in favour of featuring the swastika on the tailplane of my WWII Luftwaffe models, for the sake of historical accuracy. That was somewhat reinforced by being challenged for the Maltese crosses on the wings of a Pico Stick, by a French exchange student at an indoor meeting, with the rationale that it was important to address such incorrect and ignorant mistakes in history, by making sure that the actual symbols of hate were not unnecessarily hidden.

However, those were very much semi-scale or stand way off scale models and not true to scale in every detail replicas and the omission of the swastika on the tail really isn't a big deal. If one really wants to have a representation on there then fine, or there are suitable alternatives with the cross arms blocked to give four squares, or just as easy to leave it off. I would personally be quite uncomfortable these days in trying to justify exhibiting the swastika to a person who was offended by that, where they had genuine grounds for that offence - such as a holocaust victim's family member. I haven't actually removed any swastikas, but I've made the decision not to fit them in future.

Thread: Catastrophe!
26/01/2019 13:11:24

The fact that the control surfaces appear to be in the position required to enter the spin, and that the aeroplane wouldn;t come out of the spin, argues for a loss of power to the receiver, causing it to become non-responsive. I'd be looking at testing the current draw on those 4 servos all being run to their extremes at once and the stability of the current supplied to the Spektrum 6210 receiver under those conditions.

The model was described as being almost brand new - approximately how many flights on the board before the total loss?

26/01/2019 12:13:55

Yep, Sundeala is the business -provided that it's stuck onto a good solid blockboard or similar base. Left to it's own devices it warps like mad.

Thread: Christmas films worth recording
26/01/2019 08:55:47

There's an excellent documentary on the Battle of Britain on Forces TV right now - it uses lots of footage from the 1969 film, including lots of material that wasn't actually used in the finished product. Superb interviews with many of the pilots from both sides and a daily account of the events of the battle. It's several years old, and I've seen it before, but it's great telly.

I'm also greatly enjoying their reruns of the 70's RAF National Service comedy series Get Some In! which is running early morning weekends and in the evening during the week.

Thread: How long have you been in the hobby?
22/01/2019 22:52:23

25 years this time round, after a break of 18 years since my first teenage unsuccessful attempts at radio control flying. Would never have believed first time round that it would be possible to fly a full house 17" span scale Spitfire.

Thread: Adhesives,Which are your favourite Brands?
22/01/2019 00:17:16

Deluxe Materials Superphatic for balsa

UHU-Por for depron and foam

Z-Poxy 5 minute and 30 minute epoxy for ply, foam, hardwood

ZAP-O CA for foam, and balsa, and CF, fibreglass etc - can't really use ordinary CA - the Rocket odourless is a decent alternative, also with microballoons for fillets.

Deluxe Materials Cover grip for covering preparation and repairs.

Deluxe Materials RC Modeller's Glue for canopies.

Thread: Motor for Krick Klemm 1/7th scale
21/01/2019 23:43:45

I suspect the motor would have been from Giantcod or possibly Hobbyking. As Geoff says other equivalent motors are available, The model only needs modest power. Mine weighed 3lb 13oz, (1.7kg) with a couple of oz of lead in the nose and that's more than 100w/lb with a very light wing loading.

21/01/2019 22:10:54

Not an AXI 2814, it's a Hi-Models motor 2814 like this one

**LINK**

but it's a 6 turn, rather than 8 turn.

21/01/2019 19:36:32

My Krick Klemm flew very nicely with the power train that was in it when I bought it at a swapmeet from a clubmate. That setup was a Hi_Motor 2814 6 turn, pulling 36 amps on an 11x5" prop on 3s1p 2200mah Lipo for 420W in. The model's just like a big glider really with a massive wing area for the weight, 14oz/sq ft wing loading!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us