By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for leccyflyer

Here is a list of all the postings leccyflyer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat
29/10/2019 19:19:24

Saw one of my flying pals' scaled up JP at the field today - she looked lovely in the air and flew very well indeed. He has a surfeit of 64mm fans and no 50mm fans and so he scaled up the plant to fit, making for a larger model, with a built up wing and quite a large amount of the upper and lower fuselage sheeting removed to save weight.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
28/10/2019 18:17:55

Anyone seriously considering giving up the hobby over a £9 registration fee + or - having to take an online test really needs to get a grip.

Thread: NEW POLL - do you use a throttle kill switch?
26/10/2019 16:43:37

No need to fit aftermarket switch on my DX9, and, as others have mentioned, it has a nice lady prompting when the switches for throttle cut and rates etc are operated, giving their status.

Interesting point on the positions of the switches Geoff, -for me it's entirely logical that the rate switches are up for high rate, middle for mid rates and down for low rates. I don't think of them as on or off switches,

26/10/2019 16:07:46

Thumb over the top of the throttle stick when carrying or picking up the model is a widely used method.

Personally I'd no more fit an aftermarket switch to a transmitter than I would fit a cooling fan to the front of my hat or a revolving bow tie, but it takes all sorts.

Edited By leccyflyer on 26/10/2019 16:08:23

Thread: FrSky Futaba Tx Module
26/10/2019 13:18:05

If it were just the relative cost of the modules it would be less of an issue than the receivers - the Frsky are considerably less expensive than the Futaba FASST receivers. Sad to hear that the DFT and DHT modules are discontinued, I've found them to work perfectly with my FF9 Tx and all my gliders are on such a module.

Thread: NEW POLL - do you use a throttle kill switch?
26/10/2019 11:09:57

Indeed, there are many thousands of radios in use which don;t have the capability to have a throttle cut, so not really all that surprising that it's use isn't completely universal.

26/10/2019 09:37:08

I do on some models, but not on all models. It's a useful feature to have but, as you say, your own safety regime is what really matters and to use it every time. Where the throttle kill switch is good is in preventing an inadvertent activation of the throttle stick whilst carrying the model, or bending down to pick it up.

When we put all these labels in our models would be an excellent time to add that feature to the programming for that model. I always used to have an ID label in each model, which has been beneficial on at least one occasion, but have lapsed in recent years. I'm planning to relabel the whole fleet and will add that throttle cut function at the same time.

Thread: Charging LiFePo4 batteries
26/10/2019 09:03:50

Makes you wonder how we ever managed to fly using NiMhs after NiCds were phased out. Those GP3300mahs and FAUP 1950s must never have worked and the Sanyo and Eneloop NiMhs receiver packs in so many models must be figments of the imagination of many thousands of users.

The only LiFe packs I've used are for transmitters and found them fine - however I've modified my charging regime to charge at 0/8C rather than 1C, after less than expected LiFe time and replacing a couple of packs. The benefit of getting much longer use of the TX between charges compared to NiMh and NiCd tx packs is worth having. Haven;t tried LiFe for motor power, though they are a better match for some of my older brushed inrunners, with the sweet spot on 8 cells, where 3s1p Lipos are just too hot.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
19/10/2019 16:48:37

The RX is a Frsky 2.4ghz unit Geoff, so the Futaba tx most likely has a module.

19/10/2019 13:53:04

The seller is an antique dealer, judging by the description and ebay name. The Puppeteer looks as much like an Albatros DIII as that Spitfire in the link I posted looks like a Mustang.

19/10/2019 13:26:04

£200+ for a Flair Scout kit NIB isn't unusual at all - not just on eBay either. they are very sought after.

Here's a different kettle of fish altogether.

Link

Flat finish Oracover covering with accurate and scale colour scheme?

16 Channel Futaba radio set ( looks more like 6 channel to me)

Thread: Where do you keep yours?
19/10/2019 09:19:35

I have two Sentry fire safes with the rarely used older LiPo packs in there, at storage voltage and four genuine original Lipo sacks housing the packs which are in regular use in the charge state that they come back from the field - mostly at end of flight state but a few that are charged, which might not have been used. I only charge at the field so those packs are in a minority, but moght not be used for a couple of weeks if I don't go flying.

Importantly, for me, the Lipo sacks are the original Mark Wood produced items, not the cheap knock-offs, some of which have been shown to be flammable and as much use as a chocolate fireguard in protecting your property against fire. I know three modellers personally who have had fires, one of them catastrophic, the other two less so.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
12/10/2019 18:41:25

It's really not about insurance. When passed it will be the law of the land in whatever form that takes. The insurance implications are a red herring, in that they would only be relevant in the event of an incident in which the pilot in charge was negligent. The regulations that will apply will apply to every flight, irrespective of whether the flight goes perfectly or not.

The recent updates give some grounds for cautious optimism that aeromodellers will be accomodated somewhat , as a result of our excellent safety record, the efforts of the BMFA and other organisations, the lobbying of hobbyists, their representatives and a change of the Secretary of State. That may result in a more sensible, workable outcome for model flyers.

Thread: What's your club membership size & fees?
29/09/2019 17:43:32

That's not what Christopher Morris is saying. He's saying that he wishes that clubs would permit paying for membership on a calendar year basis from when the member joins the club and not to all have to pay their subs at the beginning of the year each year.

29/09/2019 09:10:48

I've recently moved house so at the moment I'm a member of four clubs. My old club, where I've been a member for 7 years, has about 35 members, beautiful flying field suitable for most electric powered models, with just a few IC flyers - subs are £25 plus SAA/BMFA membership, no joining fee. Most of my flying pals are at that club, but it's an hour and a half away now, so I can only really make occasional visits, mostly for events. My sloping club has two flat field sites, flies on several slope soaring sites and has about 40 members, subs are £15 those remain my "local" slopes, even though they are all more than an hour away. I haven;t tried any slope sites closer than that yet.

My new clubs are a small (though beautifully formed) electric only club, with a nice field five minutes from home, very laid back feel and about 20 members, subs are £20, plus SAA/BMFA membership - I'm a country member of BMFA. For larger models I'm a member of a mixed club which is predominantly glow, petrol, turbine and large models, though with quite a few electrics, with a much larger strip, club hut and facilities about half an hour away. Membership of the larger club is significantly larger, probably 50-75ish, club subs are £60 plus SAA/BMFA.annually.

Thread: Buying cheap new or (slightly) cheaper s/h?
28/09/2019 13:28:16

Model Match is dead simple Martin. Let's say you have two models, a Wot-4 (Model #1)and an AcroWot (Model#2). You bind the RX to the TX on a particular model name -the Wot-4 -and that named model memory on the TX (#1:Wpt-4) will only work with that particular rx in the Wot-4.

If you forget to change the model memory and try to fly your Acro-Wot then it simply won;t work, the model won;t respond,, until you select the correct model memory for the Acrowot on the TX menu (#2 Acro-Wot). That way you cannot take off with the wrong model settings (rates, throws, servo reverse) which is a well known model killer..

28/09/2019 12:27:23

From the posts above it appears that Martin will be informed of the DX7's age by it's previous owner. It's only likely to be an issue if he had some DSM or DSM2 receivers.

I concur with the advice to be careful of fake Spektrum receivers, but any new RX bought in the UK should be okay, with a check to be made before purchasing on their exact mode.

FWIW I have lots of DSM2 receivers, so it's important for me that my transmitter is DSM, DSM2 and DSMX capable. My DX7 is getting on a bit (over 10 years old) and my DX9 is a bit newer.

28/09/2019 09:36:06

That's interesting. The DX7 has Model Match which means that the TX model memory is linked to a particular model and the RX will only respond to that model memory.

I hadn't really thought about it, but just the other day I was replacing a switch on of my PSS models, switched on the tramsmitter (FF( with a Frsky module) and changed the model memory to that model then heard a noise up in the rafters. Another, entirely different model was responding to the TX. I'd hung her up a few minutes previously and mush have accidentally pressed in the pushrod to the internally mounted switch. On examination the controls were reversed. I switched off the model and went back to the bench.

Reading the posts above about rebinding I just went out to the workshop and turned on three models at the same time and they all responded to the transmitter on one model memory. I suppose that I hadn't really given that much consideration and just took the model matching for granted on the Spektrum.. It's an even better feature than I'd imagined = having seen models wrecked in the past due to wrong model memory issues. Another reason to snap up that DX7 in my book.

Thread: 2019 Special Issue
27/09/2019 20:22:28

Belay my last pipe regarding the perceived lack of material for the intermediate level modeller,

True, there isn't really an intermediate level plan build, but the articles between the plans are excellent and not just aimed at the beginner. Danny Fenton's article on glassing and Tony Nihjuis's article on windows, plus the electric conversion article are all super.. There's so much in there that I only got half way through the mag before the water went cold. I'll have to wait another month until the next bath to finish it. wink

Well done to the whole team on a great special edition.yes

27/09/2019 17:44:57

Personally I like to read my RCM&E in the bath - in fact that;s where I am headed in a minute to read the Special issue thoroughly. True it can be a bit disconcerting to have my pal Tim Hoooper or Alex Whittaker, or anyone else that I know, pop up on the page, but it's not a two way transmitting device. I haven;t found a way to read from my mobile or laptop whilst soaking in the bath.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us