By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for leccyflyer

Here is a list of all the postings leccyflyer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: V8R4-ii Rx not binding
20/09/2019 20:28:36

Hi Pat

Like Geoff I've been using V8R4-II recerivers in a bunch of models for some years, with no problems - just had a count up and it;s a round dozen models from a diddy Limit EX slope soarer through Speedo, PMP Hawk up to to an Easyglider - they are my small receiver of choice for simple slope models. The RX aerial is diddy, but it seems to do the job okay.

I thought for binding you needed to just push the button - there is no binding plug that I'm aware of.

Thread: Thinking aloud about Spits...
15/09/2019 07:42:04

We were actually talking about the aesthetics of the various Marks of Spitfires, as it happens - and as has been explained several times now.

14/09/2019 23:45:10
Posted by Colin Leighfield on 14/09/2019 22:34:46:

Well, the Mk1a doesn’t really look any different from a MkII or even a MkVa. It doesn’t really matter though does it? It would be a sad old world if we all saw things the same way.

They all look very different to a clipped wing MkXIV or bubble canopy, pointy tailed Mk 24 though, which is what I specified.

As for whether it really matters, the thread title is Thinking Aloud About Spits (sic).

That's what this is,

14/09/2019 22:16:25
Posted by Colin Leighfield on 14/09/2019 22:02:59:

. To me it is the most aesthetically attractive aeroplane ever built,

Me too - provided that it's a Mk1a - maybe a MkV or IX at a push, buit no clipped wings or bubble canopies, thanks all the same.

14/09/2019 22:10:46
Posted by mrwood on 14/09/2019 21:09:08:

Leccyflyer, I'm pleased to recognize that you and I share the same bias in favoring the aesthetic virtues of the MK1a. As you say, a matter of taste for which there is no accounting.

Yes indeedy.

Here's a few of mine.

2891 spit on close pass e.jpg 5944 brians spit & moon e.jpg1737 ripmax spit side on e.jpgThey all fly beautifully, but it's the Mk1a which captures the true Spitfire essence IMO

14/09/2019 18:55:21

Well, IMO, and it's a matter of taste, but a real proper Spitfire is most definitely a MK1a, Dark Green and Dark Earth upper surfaces, Sky undersurfaces, three exhausts a side, Merlin engine, Type A wing with no cannons, proper cockpit rather than a bubble canopy, no horrible pointy tail fin and defiinitely, but definitely, no clipped wings. I can happily tolerate a MK IX in Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey with cannons, at a push, but the clipped wing MKXIV and the bubbled Mk 24 are not really in the spirit of the original beauty.

14/09/2019 14:48:19

Thinking aloud about Spitfires - if it;s got clipped wings it isn't really a Spitfire, it;s something that is diminished, less perfect, with it's most precious, iconic feature debased.

To a lesser extent the later Mks, like the Mk 24, are also a bit less of a Spitfire - somewhat removed from the purity of the Mk 1A . The most effective Mk might arguably be the Mk IX, but even that isn't a Mk 1A .

Thread: Nigel Hawes Tucano power train
13/09/2019 19:29:21

A .25 cu in two stroke would be more than sufficient.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
30/08/2019 08:43:53
Posted by Don Fry on 29/08/2019 14:55:41:

In France, requirement is;

visible from 30cm away.

Not necessarily on the outside, but "readily accessible" is what it quotes. I have one of mine on the inside of the battery hatch.

Not onerous. What you see is hacks have it written on the outside or through the canopy, all sizes down to about 3 mm letters. And scale models on the inside of hatches. A solution the BFMA might wish to push for.

Bottom line, the owner can show it if required. And a thorough searcher will find it if required

Exactly. My reading of it is that putting the registration number on the model is in order for the authorities to be able to determine who the owner/operator is in the event of an incident in which the model is recovered, not to be able to read the registration in flight.

I used to always put a label with my name, address and telephone number inside the fuselage on each of my models, though I have lapsed in that regard lately. A few years ago, when my canopy/battery hatch parted company with the model at height that label meant that the person who found the canopy five miles away was able to contact me and I got my canopy back!

Thread: When you think you're to experienced to make a simple mistake, you're not!
27/08/2019 08:09:07
Posted by jeffrey cottrell on 26/08/2019 21:26:17:

Hi Guys, thanks

Leccyflyer
Started off with four bands and never had a problem until recently. Model can't be more than a year old.
Having found a source of cheap bands I have now gone to six and will stay that way.
Guess I needed to know how often they should be replaced, or if there were any early signs that they were reaching the end of their life.
Bought a big bag of bands off e-bay, so I could replace them every year as a precaution.
I don't leave the model assembled and the bands under tension, and it is stored in a shed so exposure to UV is only when it is out flying.
Don't think that's too much of a risk.

I have found a source of brown bands on e-bay, but these are 10mm wide, so much the same as SLEC ones.

Cheers

Jeff

Most of my models with wing bands are slope soarers. So their wing bands are stored in the rucksack that I use on the hill as a transmitter case, butty and flask carrier and transport for waterproofs. In terms of spotting when they are coming to the end of their life, they are given a good stretch before being fitted on the model - if they show signs of perishing they are delberately snapped and discarded.

Typically I only use the white soft rubber bands on the soarers, and they last a long time, like you said they are only being exposed to UV whilst I'm out flying but some parkflyers do have standard brown bands. I haven't noticed any difference in longevity if the bands are stored out of the sun. I use ordinary thin office bands to keep the wings on a couple of parkflyer models which are hung up for storage. Those thin bands, in tension, don;t last more than a year max.

Thread: Brian Winch
26/08/2019 20:38:48

That's sad news. Brian Winch was what my dad would have called "a good hand" and imparted his knowledge with a very relaxed and readable style. Like many readers I wrote to him for some engine advice many years ago - pre-email - and promptly received a detailed hand written reply. A proper gent. Condolences to all of Brian's family and friends.

Thread: When you think you're to experienced to make a simple mistake, you're not!
26/08/2019 20:35:48

Four wing bands isn't really enough to hold the wing on firmly IMO - I always use six or eight bands. You should be able to pick the model up by the wing without any movement on the bands. They also have a finite life and need to be replaced regularly. In practice I think I probably replace them every 2-3 years, but they are used infrequently, since I greatly prefer bolted on wings.

Thread: Nice gesture from Hobbyking
18/08/2019 17:09:35

Wow - that flight control system looks amazing. First time I've ever seen something like that - question though, what do you do for rudder control?

Thread: Cambrian ME109 Funfighter electric build
18/08/2019 12:50:16

Here's my Emil - originally Enya 25SS powered, then AXI 28/20-10, now PSS - first flew in 1996.

cambrianbf109slope.jpg

18/08/2019 11:00:51

On the topic of colour schemes, just like the only proper Spitfire being a late summer 1940 Mk1a, the only proper Bf109 is a late summer 1940 "Yellow Nosed B$%£$% Coming Down!" Emil. All IMHO of course .

18/08/2019 09:45:48

Great to see this build thread. the Cambrian Bf109 is an excellent model and very enjoyable quick build - watching with interest.

Thread: RCM&E September Issue.
04/08/2019 20:49:29
Posted by Nicky Strahan on 29/07/2019 13:33:04:

Also received mine. Has the magazine name changed?

Mine is titled “R/C Model Aeroplane” but all references etc inside are still RCM&E.

My subscription copy is the same. Shame really as I've kept every issue of RCM&E since way before I started buying the magazine.

A very enjoyable read this month and I might even pen a letter on one of the topics when I get a Round Tuit.

Thread: Priory Models Silhouette
28/07/2019 00:21:49

Mine was 16xGP3300 NiMhs, fitted lovely through a battery hatch in the top deck. Never did get around to fitting Lipos and she's gone to her place in the clouds some years ago - cracking flying model, you're sure to enjoy flying one.

Thread: Aldi
26/07/2019 21:40:53

Picked one up today following this thread and it's a robust, decent quality piece of kit.

Thread: Battery
26/07/2019 09:18:51

I consider the leisure batteries that I use to charge all of my flight packs at the field to be a consumable. They are replaced when they begin to fade - as noted above usually a couple of months out of warranty. At the moment I take an 85ah leisure battery and a 110AH leisure battery to the field, each driving one charger. That keeps me going all day and they are recharged immediately on return to the workshop and kept in a fully charged state through the week. The current brand is Numax and I've found those to be fine.

I haven't previously charged Lipos at home, but am currently reviewing that way of working now that I have the space to construct a fire-safe charging station. The leisure batteries and charging at the field works for me, for everything from 2s1p 1800mah packs all the way up to 5s1p 5200mah packs- all charged at 1C.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
CADMA
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us