By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Cooper

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Cooper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wing joiners/tubes
20/08/2018 07:48:08

As it is only 58" span, if this was on my building bench I would make it a one piece wing. . It will make life a lot simpler.

B.C.

Thread: Anyone interested in a Nats meet-up?
18/08/2018 10:14:25

I am planning to be there on Sunday for the swap meet scramble. . A buddy and myself are disposing of some goodies on behalf a deceased modeller..... plus we will be selling a few items of our own.

I am not sure what time we will finish but we would be happy to meet up with other Forum members.

B.C.

Thread: Greenacres MAC Fly Ins 2018
11/08/2018 06:33:18

The forecast for today (Saturday) is looking good. . Sunshine, warm and moderate winds. yes

I will be there.

Thread: Mick Charles Models, Surrey closing down
24/07/2018 07:14:22

This is very sad . . . the end of an era. sad

B.C.

Thread: Your Club. Larger, Smaller or Static?
10/07/2018 12:59:36

In the warmer months, hardly a week goes by without me giving goes to youngsters. . They either simply arrive at the field and show an interest, or we have organised buddy-box events with Cub packs, etc.

However, although the kids show great enthusiasm at the time, it is rare for any of them to take-up the hobby. . But at least we are trying.

Photo here from a few seasons ago when we flew at a County Cub Camp and gave goes to 721 Cubs during a weekend. . . . Hard work, but great fun.

county cub camp.jpg

09/07/2018 09:00:53

My main (local) club has a membership of 46. . We usually lose a couple every year, but we also gain a couple so the numbers remain fairly constant.

Apart from some obvious safety rules, we have a fairly relaxed approach to club membership, which is based on the premise that the more rules we have, the more criminals we create. . . . and we don't want to create criminals.

B.C.

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
01/06/2018 09:50:13

I always said, and I quote, "Drones represent the largest threat to the continued existence of our hobby".

Naturally, I got loads of flak -- mainly from drone operators (let's not call them pilots, eh..).

Drones are not model aircraft but, sadly, common sense is not that common so the legislators will have difficulty recognising the difference, and model aircraft might be affected by drone legislation. . . sigh.

B.C.

Thread: Engine cuts at full throttle.
30/05/2018 09:39:26

Many years ago, I had one of those dreadful engines. The only thing which worked properly was the guarantee.. Sadly, they kept sending new ones so the nightmare never ended.

From new, the metal on one was so porous that you could see fuel oozing from the crankcase casting.

Another one (from new) had a severely buckled back plate which caused all the primary compression to leak out.

Another one (from new) had a warped cylinder head, so there was no compression for ignition.

I can't imagine what problems would creep in after one of these engines has been allowed to lay idle for a few months, but I suspect some the components would dissolve.

Best of luck with it.

B.C.

Thread: Sport planes - engine recommendations
26/05/2018 14:02:49

Black Horse Ultimate bi-plane. 55" wingspan. It just fits in the car fully assembled. Very crisp on the controls and highly aerobatic. Weighs about 10 pounds. Powered by an ASP FS-120. This provides enough power for a lengthy, vertical climb. Bipes soak up power but this engine in this model is a great combination.

Great fun.

asp fs-120_fs_bc.jpg

Thread: Sheared cheap prop bolts.
26/05/2018 13:42:43
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 26/05/2018 09:24:59:

I got a Spanish talent show on that link!

I got a link to Facebook, but as I don't have a Facebook account (nor do I want one) I just exited immediately.

Thread: 1000 posts!
26/05/2018 13:40:23

I am way behind....

But I have just notched-up another one... wink

B.C.

Thread: Warbirds - engine recommendations
26/05/2018 13:35:19

Hangar 9 Corsair. 64" wingspan. Weighs about 7.5 pounds. The aeroplane is a real sweetie to fly and looks great in the air. Powered with an ASP FS91. This is just about enough power for it but you wouldn't want anything less powerful. . More power would be good, so I have plans to change the engine to a Saito FA-100 at some point in the future...... it has the same mounting dimensions as the ASP.

corsair5.jpg

Edited By Brian Cooper on 26/05/2018 13:36:29

26/05/2018 09:43:28

I have a few IC-powered warbirds of the WW2 era. Personally, I like to have some "authority" in the power department with these types of aeroplanes.

This one is a Kyosho FW.190 and has 72" wingspan. It has electric retracts, weighs about 12 pounds and has a CRRC 26cc petrol engine up front. It handles superbly and is a joy to fly.

FW.190

Thread: Sheared cheap prop bolts.
26/05/2018 08:03:52

Indeed. . . I have seen a few props come off. However, I often see people revving-up their engines while standing right in front of the prop, but if you politely try to point out the potential dangers, they usually say, "It has never happened to me". .

So, presumably they are going to continue putting themselves in danger until a prop comes off and causes them an injury. . Then, and only then, will they become more safety conscious.

It is strange how people are unwilling to learn from other people's experiences and have to learn through making their own mistakes.

Such is life.

B.C.

Thread: No space left for new models?
24/05/2018 07:39:47

About 11 years ago I also had the problem of too may models. . They were in every room in the house and there was no room left for new ones.

Solution: I bought a bigger house. yes

B.C.

Thread: Electric Cars.
21/05/2018 08:01:18

The whole recharging "thing" is a nail waiting to be hit on the head.

Anything which needs to be physically plugged in and left unsupervised for unspecified numbers of hours, is not really going to emerge as a practical or winning solution. . . Picture the scene where someone arrives home. it is winter, it is freezing-cold and dark outside, the wind is blowing and the rain is lashing down. Now add a couple of young kids to the scene who are eager to get indoors, but you still need to fumble around with a cable and hook it up to your car to recharge it overnight in readiness use the next day. . Methinks this is a game which could very quickly lose its appeal.

Even if you have the convenience of private, off-street parking, the slavish ritual of recharging will become a pain at the very least. . . Those who do not have off-street parking are going to struggle.

I am prepared to be impressed with electric cars, but it hasn't started yet.

B.C.

Thread: Radio systems
19/05/2018 07:48:16

I have been in this hobby (flying R/C) for over 54 glorious years, and during that time I have witnessed any number of people crashing their aeroplanes left, right and centre.

Human nature dictates that as soon as a treasured model crashes, its proud owner declares "radio interference". Sometimes he is right and sometimes (mostly) it is "dumb thumbs". It isn't too difficult to tell them apart if witnessing a crash.

Spektrum is the radio which everyone loves to hate, and I guess no matter how many words are written in support of it, people will have their entrenched views whether they are right or wrong.

So when a model crashes and it has Spektrum radio equipment inside, it is a wonderful opportunity to add to the tales of woe for that marque. . . Strangely, when a model crashes and it has Multiplex or Futaba, or any other make of radio (and it happens a lot), people are reluctant to publicly slag-off their radio.

For example, I was at a site a while ago and three aircraft were flying. One had Multiplex, one had Futaba and one had Spektrum DSMX radio. Very suddenly, two of the models simultaneously locked out and fell out of the sky and were obliterated. Clearly it was interference but the one still flying had Spektrum radio. . The owners of the crashed models did not go public with their disasters, but I wouldn't mind betting they would have done so if they had crashed with Spektrum gear on-board. . . Of course, no-one would commit the heresy of daring to criticise Multiplex radio for fear of being publicly burnt at the stake, eh...!!

surprise

It can be a strange world at times.

B.C.

Thread: Greenacres MAC Fly Ins 2018
14/05/2018 07:47:11

I had a great weekend at Greenacres. The weather was fabulous, and the sky was never empty.

The queuing system worked well, and a good time was had by all. It was all very relaxed and laid back.

The 3D lads had their slots -- and their skills were superb -- and everyone else had plenty of flying time too.

Many thanks to the Greenacres lads for organising these great events. yes

B.C.

Thread: Spring 2018 is here...been flying?
22/04/2018 08:27:13

My local club field is 2 miles from my door, and I have flown every day since last Monday. . It has been a miserable, soggy winter, and our runway has had standing water on it for weeks so it has only been possible to operate models with large wheels.

However, the ground is now about 95% dried out and it is now possible to operate models which have smaller wheels. . The sunny weather has also brought out some old buddies who have been in hibernation all winter.

Happy days. yes . . Fingers crossed for a good summer.

B.C.

Thread: winter storage
26/03/2018 09:04:20

There was a long thread running recently regarding Lipos and the efficacy of putting them into storage. .

I upset the apple cart by suggesting that putting them into "storage mode" actually reduced their capacity and shortened their lives. . . My observations were confirmed by several club buddies who experienced the same results, but oh how the flak that came up in replies on the forum.... The suggestion of leaving Lipos fully charged was seemingly tantamount to heresy. . dont know

Anyway, I have an EDF jet which, for reasons best known to itself, has temperature-sensitive retracts -- namely, when it gets cold, they don't come down. So, realistically, it is a model only for warmer weather.

Last year, I bought 4 new Lipo pack for it. They are 4s 3000Mah 65C packs. Each pack had flown for six flights before the cold weather grounded my EDF jet. That was around October last year. For a test, I decided to put two packs into storage and leave two fully charged for the winter... they were suitably marked to identify which was which and they were stored at room temperature for the duration.

Yesterday, it was warm, so all the packs were topped up and the EDF jet was taken out to play. Sure enough, the Lipos which had been left fully charged were perfectly okay, but the ones which had been in storage were lacking in "punch", which resulted in a noticeable reduction in top-end rpm, and they ran-out of "stamina" (reduced capacity) long before the others. At the end of a flight, they were noticeably hotter than the others too.

If you want an "asthmatic" Lipo, put it into storage for a few months. . Tin hats on, everybody -- I am sure the flak will be coming up once again.

B.C.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues