By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Cooper

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Cooper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: All weather flyer.
11/09/2019 17:28:52

One of these.... The Screamer. . 51" span and weighing a bit less than 5 pounds. . It will happily fly in very rough weather. . One of mine has flown in 70mph winds (did it for a £5 bet).

Just bolt in lots of power, and have some fun.

My lad, pictured many years ago when he was 11, loved his one. . . Child's play, eh.

125726-13df69d73028855db6b7411243aa6376.jpg

Thread: Taurus - Model Aeroplane News
09/09/2019 12:21:10

Wow, a Taurus. . . I had one of those back in the 1960s when I was about 11 or 12. smiley

My one was powered with a fairly limp-waisted Merco 49, and equipped with RCS 10 channel reeds radio.

As I recall, it was a very nice aeroplane to fly. . . Peter Christy has been around long enough to (probably) remember it. devil

B.C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 09/09/2019 12:27:23

Thread: Thinking aloud about Spits...
08/09/2019 07:36:59

I have three Spitfires of varying sizes from 72" to 90" span. . They are all a sheer delight to fly but, as many have said, the landings are the critical part. They need to be "flown" down to the ground.

Where many people go wrong, is they try to glide them down (like a forgiving trainer) and/or try to land them while they are still 4ft off the ground.

Flair out too early and they will stall and drop the rest of the way. . Touch down flying too slowly and they will probably bounce and, unless you are quick with applying power, they will stall and drop. . . If you are afraid of the model, it will sense it and it will bite you.

Get it right -- show it who's the boss -- and they look truly fabulous. They have an attraction which is enchanting and never gets old.

B.C.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
03/09/2019 11:55:06

Reading the posts in this thread can be fairly "heavy going" at times. sad

I consider myself fortunate that my childhood years were served in an era when children seemed to have a lot more freedom than modern kids have nowadays. . At the age of 8, I could ride my bike five miles to the flying field, without any parental supervision, and nobody thought it was odd. . I had the freedom to play with my models all day long, and generally teach myself how to trim them and fly them. . Additionally, the grown-ups at the field were never afraid to talk to a child. . Mobile phones didn't exist but Common Sense ruled the day, and we all had a lot of carefree fun.

When I look at the way our superb hobby has evolved, with increasing PC, and the need for pay heed to various "child protection" policies, and now the requirements to become registered and tested, not to mention that children under the age of 18 will not be allowed to own a model aeroplane, I wonder what the future holds for the hobby, and, importantly, how we are going to attract juniors into it.

Okay, I am in this hobby for the long haul, BUT if all this overwhelming nonsense had been around when I was a kid, I am fairly sure I would have been put-off from the word go and would have found something else to do.

If it was ever the intention of the CAA (and all) to destroy our hobby with their nitty rules and regulations, they are making a damn good start. . . . Let's face it, there are people who are already declaring they will leave the hobby; and that is very sad.

B.C.

Thread: Flight restriction zones
31/08/2019 04:14:21

@ Fly boy 3: Yes, we prepared a document, which was studied by the chaps at Sywell, and was then duly signed by them and us.

The whole process was probably made easy by the fact that we have been flying at our site for many years and Sywell were aware of our presence, and there has never been a conflict between us.

B.C.

30/08/2019 19:27:00

Nope, no financial costs involved at all.

My club in Wellingborough had to obtain permission from Sywell Aerodrome, and the face-to-face meeting could not have been easier. . No problems.

B.C.

Thread: Drone At Gatwick
28/08/2019 14:25:28

Whatever amount of laws and regulations are put in place, it won't make an ounce of difference.

Laws only affect the law-abiding. . . . The rest of the population couldn't (won't) give a damn.

B.C.

Thread: Broken servo arm screw
26/08/2019 02:10:01

Another vote here for using white glue to secure servo output arm screws. I have used this method for about 40 years and not had one screw come undone yet, but, crucially, the screw can be released with a firm "jolt" with a screwdriver (or Allen key depending on the type of screw/bolt).

It doesn't need much -- just smear the thread. yes

B.C.

Thread: August Nationals 2019
26/08/2019 01:59:47

Had a fabulous day there on Sunday.

I went for the Swapmeet to sell some goodies and to shift some models. . . and sold everything. I met many familiar faces and had a natter. . Apologies to those with whom I couldn't continue nattering due to the lively audience at the table.

Having sold out of everything by 11:30, there was plenty of time left to enjoy the rest of the day in the glorious sunshine, doing a bit of relaxed shopping and watching some splendid flying . . . and do more nattering with more old friends. yes

See you all there again next year.... and sooner in many cases.

B.C.

Thread: Sennybridge jamming trial
22/08/2019 14:21:09

I have just tried out my old 35Mhz PCM radio. . . Works a treat. yes

It will be kept on standby just in case these jamming trials become a regular occurrence.

22/08/2019 09:12:48

We should be grateful that they have taken the trouble to inform us of the impending jamming.

Respectable manners like these are becoming rare these days.

B.C.

Thread: Single servo ailerons
15/08/2019 14:16:43
Posted by Nigel R on 15/08/2019 13:44:06:

Redundancy is a thing, but, do either of you fit two elevator servos as well? Elevator is just as much a critical control, possibly more so than ailerons.

Or dual rudder servos?

Or dual receivers?

etc...

= = = =

Twin elevator servos? . . Most definitely. For redundancy, this is even more essential than twin aileron servos.

Twin rudder servos also have their place but only in large models with very powerful engines where the draught from the prop is extremely strong.... strong enough to need a couple of fully grown adults to hang on to the thing.

If we mentioned dual receivers, there could be mushroom clouds appearing over the forum... wink

B.C.

15/08/2019 09:45:50
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 15/08/2019 07:09:37:

If that's the case then can I suggest that there aren't any real advantages?

= = = =

Errrr, no, you can't.

An Acrowot can be simple if it is powered with a lowly .46 or something similar, and there are not any high expectations of intense aerobatics. . But it can be a much higher performer with a decent .90 up front. . Then it becomes a different ball game, with better vertical performance and higher stresses (demands) on the servos and the airframe . . A single servo in this type of application is going to struggle to be equal to the game, especially if it is an analogue servo from the bargain (under ten quid) end of the scale.

If the performance has been "hopped up", and you want a really twiddly rate of roll, the aeroplane with appreciate better servos, two of them, and preferably digital. . Trust me, there IS a difference. . And this is before we delve into the batteries we use, or need, in our models.

However, we all fly differently, and we all have different expectations of our aeroplanes. This is what makes the hobby so rich and diverse.

B.C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 15/08/2019 09:47:09

14/08/2019 22:57:05
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 14/08/2019 15:38:42:

Brian

Please can you give me any solid evidence of why a simple sports aerobatic model like the Acrowot we are discussing here can be improved by the use of two servos on the ailerons?

I'd genuinely be astonished if there is any genuine improvement over a well setup simple single servo but I'd love to know your reasoning.

Additionally, why does having two aileron servos make it easier to "dial-in" expo and dual rates?

I find that statement hard to accept at face value, sorry.

= = = =

Use a single servo if you prefer to but the advantages of using two servos are manifold, and the subject is deep enough for a thorough article in the pages of a magazine rather than a quick response on a forum.

Have fun.

B.C.

14/08/2019 10:59:40

Using just one servo on the ailerons, especially on a model like the Acrowot, is very "old school".

It is far better to use two servos, and then dial-in expo and rates to suit. . . There seems to be a mental barrier about using more than 30% expo. . It is permitted to use more if required. . Just keep dialling it in until the correct "feel" is accomplished.

Also, by using two servos, they can be individually "tuned" to get the best out of the aeroplane.

B.C.

Thread: CRRC 26cc - Plane suggestions
12/08/2019 13:00:11

The CRRC 26 is a great engine. It definitely has more grunt than a 1.20 f/stroke glow engine.

I have these engines in a couple of warbirds. . . . and they are working beautifully. yes

Spitfire

FW.190

Thread: Finding Models
27/07/2019 15:50:03

I have seen a couple of these "finders" working via a mobile phone. . Yes, you get a trackable signal, but the accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. They can be about 100 yards out.

However, they might work well if used in conjunction with an audible "lost model" alarm.

B.C.

Thread: Planespotting Live
24/07/2019 16:32:38

I put up with it for about four minutes, before switching channels. However, not quite believing it could be that bad, I switched back to it a few minutes later. . . . . But yes, it really was that bad.

I won't be watching any further episodes.

My TV has an "off" switch, and it seems to be getting used a lot of lately.

B.C.

Thread: Flying car
13/07/2019 21:41:33

It looks like he need to work on his landings. wink

B.C.

Thread: Giving up
10/07/2019 23:06:17
Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 10/07/2019 22:57:35:
  1. Wasn't it Quentin Crisp who said...

“There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse.”

LOL. .. Love it.

B.C.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us