By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Cooper

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Cooper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Model flying photos you're proud of
04/06/2019 09:19:26

My Corsair marauding the sky over Tibenham.

corsair4.jpgcorsair5.jpg

Thread: Greenacres MAC Fly In Events 2019
20/05/2019 13:19:47

Had a great day there on Sunday. smiley

A great site and great people. . Looking forward to the next one already. yes

B.C.

Thread: CAA registration consulation
09/05/2019 08:38:46

Game of Drones...?

The people who are making up the rules don't want model aeroplanes to be players in their game. .

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 09/05/2019 20:33:49

04/05/2019 13:33:39

I will send another two letters to each of them . . . smiley fist

02/05/2019 05:07:29

The cost may not be a huge factor at the first go but it is certainly going to be significant in following years.

A bigger worry is the knock-on effect of people leaving the hobby. Several people in my local clubs have stated they will not bother to register and will call it a day as they cannot be bothered with all the extra bureaucracy. We could be down 15-20 percent on club membership numbers next year. . . This in turn has the potential to increase the cost of club membership for those who remain. . . And, of course, even greater costs to find for the CAA. . If this scenario is replicated across the UK, it is going to be a vicious, downward spiral.

Also, I have been giving goes and generally introducing the hobby to youngsters for the last 50 years (I started doing it when I was still a kid myself) but I am wondering if there is any point in continuing to do it this summer, bearing in mind that people under the age of 18 will not be ALLOWED to own a model. . Yes, they can still fly one, but it really feels like the proposed bureaucracy is just going to tease the kids rather than encourage them to get involved.

It's all a ruddy shambles.

B.C.

Thread: Exponential for beginners?
29/04/2019 22:23:42

Expo is not sort of strange, dictatorial religion which needs to be slavishly worshipped. Nor is it to be rejected out- of- hand because "We didn't have it 50 years ago". . . If a model needs expo to make it fly more smoothly to control inputs, then it should have it regardless of whatever the model is, or whether the pilot is a world champion or a complete novice.

The technology is there to make life easier. . . . . . Use it.

B.C.

Thread: CAA registration consulation
29/04/2019 11:11:05

Okay, it will cost £16.50 to be an "Operator", which means being the owner of a drone or model aircraft, but the "Pilot" pays nothing.

I know that the issues go wayyyyyy beyond being about the cost but just for a giggle, how about ALL models in the UK being owned by just ONE person, and that person has 30,000 pilots to fly them.

That should give them something to think about..

27/04/2019 10:00:36

Costs: The CAA has based its estimate for costs (£16.50) on the basis that over 170,000 people will register. . . These figures are based on information passed to them regarding the sales of "toy" drones over the last three or four years. . They estimate that about 2 million toy drones have been sold, and the CAA thinks (expects) that all these people will be cheerfully rushing to register their toys . . . . no chance.

The CAA is going to be disappointed when only about 30,000 BMFA members sign up. . Then, of course, the costs for the following years will be significantly multiplied to cover the shortfall.. . How many people will be keen to pay, let's say, £85 per year just to stay registered?

Naturally, nobody in the higher echelons of the CAA will ever think about scrapping it.

Enjoy your flying this summer, lads. It won't be the same next year.

B.C.

27/04/2019 08:43:57

WE know what a drone is, and WE know what a model aeroplane is, but the CAA cannot, or will not, differentiate between the two, so we are ALL drone flyers now.................. sigh.

Ruddy drones......!! Because of drones, we are now having draconian legislation slapped on us by the CAA. And the final insult is we have to pay for it too. . Naturally, these new laws (and costs) will only affect the law-abiding. . The hooligan drone flyers won't care and will very probably be blissfully unaware of these new rules and regulations. And even if they were aware, it is doubtful they will comply with them. . No, for the most part, they have had their craze, they have done their damage and they have moved on to some other pastime.

This latest twist from the CAA is another nail in the coffin of model flying. . People under the age of 18 won't be ALLOWED to own a model aeroplane (sorry, a drone), but they will still be able to fly one.... crazy, or what..!! This should nicely discourage any youngsters from taking an interest in model flying.

It gives me no pleasure to say this -- and I hope I am wrong -- but radio controlled model flying in the UK might have died out in 20 years' time.. . We pursue this hobby for fun and recreation. We certainly don't do it so we can be subjected to ever-increasing rules and regulations. . Starting at the end of THIS year, many people might decide to "call it a day" and leave the hobby... The proof of the pudding will be the number of people who renew their BMFA membership for 2020. .. unless something changes, it is doubtful that the numbers will increase, eh.

It is indeed a sad time for our hobby.

B.C.

27/04/2019 07:56:43
Posted by Martin Fraser on 26/04/2019 21:36:58:

Hi all,

I don't often 'go off on one' but what will this scheme achieve? Has anyone ever been killed by a DRONE?

----                  ----                       ----                      ----                   ----                  ----                   ----

Sadly, yes, I have had the unpleasant experience of witnessing a model aeroplane kill an 11-year-old boy. . It hit his head and, according to the coroner's report, the trauma was the equivalent of being by by a 20mm cannon shell...... there wasn't much left.

That tragedy resulted in the legal requirement to have our Fail Safe set to reducing the throttle to idle as an absolute minimum in the event of signal failure.

B.C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 27/04/2019 07:58:19

Thread: What's your do everything model, or do you have one of everything?
04/04/2019 00:09:15

I have far too many favourites to choose just one. They all perform differently (from mild to wild) and a "favourite of the day" will depend on the weather conditions and how I am feeling prior to a flying session.

Like Graham, I am partial to a nice biplane. Flying low, four stroke engine....... Ahhhhhh.

asp fs-120_fs_bc.jpg

Thread: Banded on undercarriage
03/04/2019 04:07:04

Be aware of the position of the U/C. . There is a temptation to mount it a long way forwards to prevent nose-overs but, if it is too far forward, the model will bounce around like a kangaroo every time it lands.

Have fun.

B.C.

02/04/2019 00:31:22

It is better to bolt the U/C to the floor.  . . Reinforce the floor first. teeth 2

B.C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 02/04/2019 00:35:37

02/04/2019 00:31:22

Securing the U/C with rubber bands is something we used to do in the 1960s. . It worked up to a point, and that point was when a hard landing occurred. The U/C then had a tendency to violently flip round 180 degrees. This isn't a problem UNLESS the U/C is long enough to make contact with the wing. . . and then it punches holes in the wing.

If it can, it will.

B.C.

Thread: Spring is here. Who is flying?
31/03/2019 02:54:15

Personally, I have been flying throughout the winter months but the warmer days and lighter evenings are very welcome indeed.

More flying and less clothing. yes

B.C.

Thread: An intruder on our strip
29/03/2019 11:22:34

When I am in Spain (more often these days) I fly from a model club's site as a guest. VERY often, microlight aircraft fly past at low level and give us a wave... some even do touch-and-goes on the runway. . Nobody knows where they come from or where they go to afterwards. . It is all a part of the way of life over there and nobody seems to mind.

B.C.

Thread: Does your club prohibit the use of after-market receivers?
23/03/2019 07:52:41

Yes, we need to have some common protocols in place for keeping us safe, but there are times when I have to remind myself that we do this hobby for FUN.

Having flown R/C models for the last 55 years, it never ceases to amaze me that during all of those years there has never been a shortage of folk who conspire to dull the thrill of flying model aeroplanes. . . For example, how about a club which does not allow low passes down the runway, and allocates a specific piece of sky just in case you might be reckless enough to want to do a loop or a roll. . Trust me, they exist. . . . . . If you fly an underpowered Junior 60, you fit right in..... Yawn. sad

B.C.

22/03/2019 13:28:36

The more rules you have, the more criminals you create.

We prefer a lighter and less draconian atmosphere at my club.

Thread: NEW POLL - Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?
22/03/2019 07:50:23

During a break at our last AGM, I popped out for a wee...... when I came back, the assembled company joyfully announced I had been voted to be the Safety Officer in my absence . . . Almost as sneaky as daily life at Westminster, eh.. dont know

Anyway, I like to quote Article 241 (or whatever number it is this week) which states: ‘A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or PERMIT an aircraft to endanger any person or property.’

It is the "permit" part of the wording which clearly makes us ALL Safety Officers. Ergo, if we see someone acting dangerously and say nothing, by definition WE are breaking the law because we are permitting it.

'Nuff said.

Thread: Does your club prohibit the use of after-market receivers?
20/03/2019 16:41:28

Nope, no ban at my clubs (I am in three).

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us