By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Cooper

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Cooper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Sports Aerobatic for an ASP 70 Four Stroke?
01/02/2019 22:20:31

A Wot-4 with an ASP 70FS is a good combination for sports aerobatics. . The power to weight ratio gives an impressive vertical performance, and the model really comes alive with some decent grunt in the front. . It will put a smile on the most experienced pilot's face. face 1

B.C.

Thread: Max revs on SC120FS
01/02/2019 15:21:00

Yes, the RPM figure is a little low. Hopefully it will loosen up with some more running. A 15x8 is the right size prop.

I am getting about 8,800 RPM with an APC 15x8, running 10% nitro Prosynth fuel.

B.C.

Thread: Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?
22/01/2019 19:57:44

The P39 is looking good there, Jon. yes

B.C.

Thread: How long have you been in the hobby?
22/01/2019 19:52:34

I have been in the hobby for almost 60 years. . I became interested in model aeroplanes from the age of about 5. . In those days it was simple chuck gliders and Sleek Street rubbe-powered models. . After a couple of years, I graduated to Jetex-powered gliders and I.C.- powered free fighters, and even had a go at control line but I could never get the hang of going round and round without getting dizzy. face 11

Salvation came in 1964, at the age of ten, when I built my first R/C model. It was only single channel but I had a LOT of fun with it. . I designed my first R/C model when I was 11. . Then came RCS multi-channel reeds, and more sophisticated models. . I bought my first digital proportional radio when I was about 14.

This is more than a mere hobby to me.... I have never had a break from it. . It is a passion and a way of life. And yes, you never stop learning.

B.C.

Thread: Gatwick drone incident
09/01/2019 10:46:31

I have said it before and I will say it again. Quote: Drones represent the biggest threat to the continued existence of R/C model flying.

That was five years ago, and I was shouted down. . . . Is anyone still shouting now?

B.C.

Thread: Anyone else been up diddly up up on New Years Day?
01/01/2019 19:03:57

The weather was very mild and too good to miss, so I had an enjoyable afternoon at the flying field. . Great fun, and a nice start to 2019.

Thread: Dave Burton (BEB)
01/01/2019 09:24:52

I met and chatted with Dave a few times at Greenacres. He was always a pleasure to talk to, and had a fabulous depth of knowledge. It is a genuine shame that he has passed away at an early age. He will be sorely missed by many.

Thread: Fire extinguishers
27/12/2018 08:38:44

Spinning the clock back about 30 years, I had the misfortune to have a car fire in a garage which was attached to my house.

I had parked the car and had got out but was tinkering around with something unrelated to the car before going indoors. .After a minute or two, I became aware of a burning smell and when I looked at the car, the interior was slowly filling with smoke. . I was curious. . I had a fire extinguisher on the wall, so I grabbed it and went to investigate... As soon as I opened the car's door, the in-coming (new) air turned the smoke into flames......... and it was frightening how quickly it took hold.

Realising that my puny fire extinguisher was completely out-classed for the task facing it, I left immediately, told the family to get out of the house, and called the Fire Brigade. They were on scene very quickly and soon had the fire under control but the car and the garage were completely destroyed.

My advise on detecting a fire would be to call the Fire Brigade.... seconds count... and get out. .Only fight the fire if you have your back to a 100% decent escape route. If you mange to put it out yourself, the Fire Brigade won't mind. Plus, they will make sure the fire is completely out.

B.C.

Thread: IC Engine Control
25/12/2018 09:41:42

Bryan -- we share a dangerously similar name -- your questions can only be explained in words on this forum. . For better clarification, try to seek out a club. . The members will (usually) be pleased to explain it all, and show you how to set it up, and what is supposed to happen.

Merry Christmas.

B.C.

Thread: Gatwick drone incident
21/12/2018 01:47:00

A lot of drones will be unwrapped on Christmas morning. . None of these drones require any flying skills to operate them. . Before Christmas dinner is on the table, there will be a whole new batch of morons created.

Thread: IC and Electric
19/12/2018 09:43:22

There is very definitely a difference between electric and I.C. power, and it affects to way a model behaves, but let's not lose sight of the fact that a model's characteristics can be altered by merely changing the propeller.

Lots of experimenting to do, eh...

Merry Christmas.

B.C.

Thread: Greenacres MAC Fly In Events 2019
18/12/2018 03:53:41

Am looking forward to these events already. yes

Thread: EDF off grass runways ???
17/12/2018 14:29:29

Chris,

If you are asking about the model in the profile, it is a Gold Wing (manufacturer) Yak 55, distributed by Global R/C.

It is a 3D model with 88" wingspan, powered by a DA 50 petrol engine fitted with an AS tuned exhaust system (very powerful). . It is an extremely agile model and capable of doing about 3 rolls per second, plus it will prop-hang on less than 50% power and punch way cleanly and accelerate whilst going vertical. . It is about 8 years old now but still going strong and it still compares well with modern 3D machines.

It is great fun to fly. smiley

B.C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 17/12/2018 14:30:44

Edited By Brian Cooper on 17/12/2018 14:31:13

17/12/2018 11:03:12

Operating an EDF from grass is not too tricky but, as has been mentioned, there is no prop-wash over the tail so you have to gain a good amount of speed before lifting off.

It pays to take off going fast and flat (be gentle with the elevators), letting the airspeed build up for a few seconds before going vertical.

Thread: Autumn is here...you been flying ?
16/12/2018 09:34:06

Friday was nice for flying. . . On Saturday the temperature didn't get about 2 degrees and it was somewhat chilly when the wind blew (read bitter cold).

The temperature this morning (Sunday) has risen to a barmy 7 degrees (woo-hoo, heat-wave) and the wind has died down. . . . . Happy days.

B.C.

Thread: Can a drone fly at 10000ft?
16/12/2018 09:27:50

Pilots are not stupid. . They are not in the business of not seeing what is there, but they certainly know when something hoves into their view. If they reported seeing a drone, I would be inclined to believe them.

The problem with drones is that no flying skills are required. . Take off? Flick a switch.. Loiter in a pre-planned position? Flick a switch. . Return to home and land? Flick a switch... This autonomy leaves an irresponsible drone operator lots of time to create lots of mischief...... and they do. . . Lipo packs in excess of 12,000Mah, plus radios which have been blatantly altered to allow greater range are all part of the "scene".

In the hands of a delinquent, if a drone CAN get to 10,000ft, then it ruddy well will. devil

I hasten to add that this does not apply to the decent, responsible drone operators who obey the rules and the laws, and are very probably all seasoned BMFA members. thumbs up

Thread: Adhesives,Which are your favourite Brands?
07/12/2018 14:39:27

Another vote here for Poundland cyano. It's good stuff.

B.C.

Thread: Wing bag material
02/12/2018 09:15:56

A cheap-and-cheerful solution for wing bags is to use an inexpensive sleeping bag. . These can be bought for about £7 and they will comfortably encapsulate a 72" wing . . Yes, the bag will need to be altered to give a snug fit with your wings -- and ideally you need to know your way around a sewing machine -- but you will soon have a usable article.

Keep the zip side untouched, but alter the other areas of the sleeping bag to suit.

For longer wings, add material which has been cut off during the alterations.

Thread: How old are yours?
17/10/2018 09:40:32

I have a few models which are fairly ancient (over 15 years old) but I can't compete with some of the impressive ages of models in the thread.

My oldest one is an ATS Kite trainer. . It was given to me about 25 years ago by a club mate who no longer had a use for it and donated it to my fleet for giving goes to kids. . The model was certainly not new when I got it but it had been a regular flyer at our patch for several years.

It is a tough, rugged old bird and it is built like a brick poo house. . It is the sort of model which, if it hit a tree, the tree would come off worse. . .

If novices are struggling to master their landings, this is an ideal model for them to use. thumbs up

B.C.

Thread: Battle of Britain: Model Squadron
25/09/2018 08:34:29

"Maybe they could do a Christmas special. 70th anniversary of the Berlin Airlifts, dropping sweets for children!

Has a certain 'ahhhhhhhh' factor!"

Count me in. . . I have been doing sweetie drops for kids for the last 50 years and I haven't become fed up with it yet.

B.C.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
CML
Revoc
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us