By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Cooper

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Cooper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Autumn is here...you been flying ?
11/11/2019 09:42:15

It was a great weekend for flying, but our patch currently has big splodges of standing water all over it.

Nevertheless, it was good fun playing "dodge the puddles" when taking off and landing.

And the rain has resumed today...... sad

B.C.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
06/11/2019 12:01:37
Posted by Supersavage on 06/11/2019 11:49:09:

I've done the test and passed and now have a flyer id and operater id.

Well done, Supersavage.

I am going down the BMFA and Achievement Scheme route myself. yes

B.C.

Thread: How many flyable aircraft do you have ?
06/11/2019 11:48:47

I have had a thinning-out of models over the last couple of years and have sold 23 aeroplanes.

Sooooo, that just leaves me with 50. . . All geared up and ready to fly. face 1

B.C.

Thread: SC 91fs will not stop.
29/10/2019 22:39:31

They are good engines but the carb can be susceptible to a bit of wear. . . So even with the carb fully closed, air could be leaking past the barrel. . It doesn't take much (air) to prevent the engine from stopping.

B.C.

Thread: What are your three favourite war movies?
20/10/2019 11:52:23

We Were Soldiers.

Windtalkers.

Enemy at the Gate.

Thread: How far do you travel to fly at your club?
20/10/2019 11:19:35

My local club field is 2 miles away. . It can take 6 mins to get there if I stretch out the journey.

B.C.

Thread: Twin glow motors for warbirds?
10/10/2019 15:30:39

Using twin glow engines is perfectly feasible. . Warbirds are not supposed to be totally silent. . And the sound of two engines beating together is just exquisite.

Electric motors have their place, but that place is not on large warbirds.

B.C.

Thread: BMFA 'B' Test Video Available
10/10/2019 10:56:52
Posted by Martin Harris on 10/10/2019 00:26:07:

It's not so long ago that it was standard practice to teach new pilots to take off in this way - at least at our club. When I started to instruct, I made a point of getting my pupils to take off from the pilot's box right from their first attempts and they managed very well. It fairly quickly became the norm and only a few of the old diehards still ventured out onto the runway and refused to adapt. I was very pleased when the BMFA specified that take offs for A tests were to be controlled from the pilot's box.

Personally, I find it far more important to be able to judge the model's attitude effectively from the side than any dubious benefit of standing behind - and if you can't judge a straight take of run from that position, how can you do the same for a landing?

=   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =    =   =   =   =   =   =   =    =   =   =

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​HEAR HEAR to that.

B.C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 10/10/2019 11:01:28

09/10/2019 20:47:59
Posted by john stones 1 on 09/10/2019 20:31:41

Yep, I've flown with those folk, bet they're same ones that take off/land directly at you, coz the BMFA says "You MUST take off into wind".

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

LOL..... Yup, the live among us. wink

B.C.

09/10/2019 20:12:53

Regarding safety: Rather than nit-picking about how to connect a battery, I would be more concerned about some of the "senior" flyers who are incapable of keeping a model straight on a take off run, which makes everyone duck for cover, and then think it is perfectly acceptable to fly over the pits, 3ft above people's heads . . . . . Yup, these people exist and, sadly, they are not rare.

Also worrying are the ones who can only land from one direction (usually right to left) and have to physically cross to the other side of the patch/runway if the wind isn't blowing from the "correct" direction. . . thinking

B.C.

08/10/2019 13:54:06

Ohhh, I.C. engines haven't quite "had their day" yet. . At three clubs I fly at, electric power accounts for approximately 20% of the aircraft.

The smaller glow engines (up to around .25) have been replaced by electric. . Models from .40 size to 1.20 size are still glow powered. Anything bigger than that is powered with petrol engines.

B.C.

07/10/2019 20:31:46

Personally, I would not fail someone for removing their glow battery from the front.

Thread: Guess the fault
03/10/2019 23:32:31

I had this happen on one of mine a few years ago. . It turned to be a broken connection between two cells on the Nicad battery. . At rest, the connection was okay but when the engine was running, the vibration made the connection flick between on and off.

The strange behaviour of the battery indicator lights saved a model. yes

B.C.

Thread: Afternoon all.
27/09/2019 22:35:30

Welcome to the hobby, Kevin. . . It has many avenues to explore and enjoy.

B.C.

Thread: All weather flyer.
11/09/2019 17:28:52

One of these.... The Screamer. . 51" span and weighing a bit less than 5 pounds. . It will happily fly in very rough weather. . One of mine has flown in 70mph winds (did it for a £5 bet).

Just bolt in lots of power, and have some fun.

My lad, pictured many years ago when he was 11, loved his one. . . Child's play, eh.

125726-13df69d73028855db6b7411243aa6376.jpg

Thread: Taurus - Model Aeroplane News
09/09/2019 12:21:10

Wow, a Taurus. . . I had one of those back in the 1960s when I was about 11 or 12. smiley

My one was powered with a fairly limp-waisted Merco 49, and equipped with RCS 10 channel reeds radio.

As I recall, it was a very nice aeroplane to fly. . . Peter Christy has been around long enough to (probably) remember it. devil

B.C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 09/09/2019 12:27:23

Thread: Thinking aloud about Spits...
08/09/2019 07:36:59

I have three Spitfires of varying sizes from 72" to 90" span. . They are all a sheer delight to fly but, as many have said, the landings are the critical part. They need to be "flown" down to the ground.

Where many people go wrong, is they try to glide them down (like a forgiving trainer) and/or try to land them while they are still 4ft off the ground.

Flair out too early and they will stall and drop the rest of the way. . Touch down flying too slowly and they will probably bounce and, unless you are quick with applying power, they will stall and drop. . . If you are afraid of the model, it will sense it and it will bite you.

Get it right -- show it who's the boss -- and they look truly fabulous. They have an attraction which is enchanting and never gets old.

B.C.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
03/09/2019 11:55:06

Reading the posts in this thread can be fairly "heavy going" at times. sad

I consider myself fortunate that my childhood years were served in an era when children seemed to have a lot more freedom than modern kids have nowadays. . At the age of 8, I could ride my bike five miles to the flying field, without any parental supervision, and nobody thought it was odd. . I had the freedom to play with my models all day long, and generally teach myself how to trim them and fly them. . Additionally, the grown-ups at the field were never afraid to talk to a child. . Mobile phones didn't exist but Common Sense ruled the day, and we all had a lot of carefree fun.

When I look at the way our superb hobby has evolved, with increasing PC, and the need for pay heed to various "child protection" policies, and now the requirements to become registered and tested, not to mention that children under the age of 18 will not be allowed to own a model aeroplane, I wonder what the future holds for the hobby, and, importantly, how we are going to attract juniors into it.

Okay, I am in this hobby for the long haul, BUT if all this overwhelming nonsense had been around when I was a kid, I am fairly sure I would have been put-off from the word go and would have found something else to do.

If it was ever the intention of the CAA (and all) to destroy our hobby with their nitty rules and regulations, they are making a damn good start. . . . Let's face it, there are people who are already declaring they will leave the hobby; and that is very sad.

B.C.

Thread: Flight restriction zones
31/08/2019 04:14:21

@ Fly boy 3: Yes, we prepared a document, which was studied by the chaps at Sywell, and was then duly signed by them and us.

The whole process was probably made easy by the fact that we have been flying at our site for many years and Sywell were aware of our presence, and there has never been a conflict between us.

B.C.

30/08/2019 19:27:00

Nope, no financial costs involved at all.

My club in Wellingborough had to obtain permission from Sywell Aerodrome, and the face-to-face meeting could not have been easier. . No problems.

B.C.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us