By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Houghton

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Houghton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: An Introduction to the PSSA 2020 Mass Build Project
09/10/2019 19:07:06

Martin,

Thanks for the confirmation. I may go down a size, so watch out for my wobbly tailplane!

John, Great piccie!

No insight claimed - just a bad case of thinking I know more than I do! The designers always know better, according to Peter Miller's plan building article in the latest RCM&E special. As for action - I haven't finished my Hurricane mass build yet, so my powers are sadly lacking.

09/10/2019 15:44:47

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the confirmation. I have been scouring similar plans, and noted that the Phase 5 AMT had 2 laminations of 3/16", with joining wires of 14g. You said on another thread that the F86 joiners were 8g (front) and 10g (rear), if I remember correctly. Aren't these a bit thick - I have never built an AMT so I am speaking from intuition rather than experience!

What will/have you used on the Gamma build?

Thread: Sabre Plans
24/09/2019 14:01:02

Brilliant, Martin. Thanks for the confirmation.

24/09/2019 09:49:01

Thanks, Martin.

Did you notice my posting on the Sabre Woodpack List thread, asking about the thickness of the tailplane? Is it 2 x 3.18mm as marked, or 2 x 6mm as per the cross section?

Steve

Edited By Steve Houghton on 24/09/2019 09:49:26

23/09/2019 21:18:49

Hi,

I have Issue 14. The 10cm scale appears to be correct. Can you confirm there are no problems with Issue 14, please?

Are there any signficant changes from 14 to 16 that we need to mark on the plans?

Thanks.

Thread: Club Mower.
18/09/2019 12:08:09

With a little development it could make a menacing opponent in Robot Wars!

Thread: PSSA Sabre Woodpack List
16/09/2019 12:49:04

Martin/Gordon,

Thanks for the delivery of my plan pack. Can I please confirm the thickness of the tailplane? The plan says two laminations of 3.18mm sheet but the typical cross section seems to show it as being 12mm thick (2x6mm). Two laminations of 6mm would seem better for containing the joining tubes.

Your recommendations, please?

Steve

Thread: An Introduction to the PSSA 2020 Mass Build Project
12/09/2019 20:42:05

Pete,

There's a whole thread about the wood list:

Woodpack List

There's also a Gamma build thread.

12/09/2019 12:11:23

Martin/Gordon,

Thanks for the delivery of my plan pack. Can I please confirm the thickness of the tailplane? The plan says two laminations of 3.18mm sheet but the typical cross section seems to show it as being 12mm thick (2x6mm).

Sorry if its a silly question, but I'm about to order the wood.

Regards,

Steve

Thread: Good news thread.
14/06/2019 16:43:02

Eldest daughter's A Level exams finished.

Home stress levels reduced by 99% (until results day).

Yee-Hah!

Thread: Not sure what type of Hurricane yet
26/06/2018 12:26:04

Steve,

No, the Zlin has not progressed. I moved house last year and have done no flying or building for about 18 months during the upheaval.

The Hurricane is plodding on - just blocked in some of the nose last night. Fuselage curves partly formed, but starboard side is too stiff and refuses to conform to copious soakings in ammonia! I must set up a blog with a few pictures.

Looking forward to your next update.

19/06/2018 22:55:23

Hi Steve,

Good to see you blogging. I'm too pressed for time to blog at the moment.

However, I can confirm that I had a similar issue to you with the nose. I just assumed it was because the battery box was a loose fit into F3 and I therefore allowed it to drift off centre during assembly, even though all was square, like yours. I ended up adding strips of 1/16 balsa along the outside of one F10, and skimming the other one down until the 1/8 stiffeners could lie flush with the slots in F1.

My fuselage is only half way through so, like you, I may be struggling to finish on time.

Edited By Steve Houghton on 19/06/2018 22:56:42

Thread: PCM9X11 Tranny
10/04/2018 12:54:42

Douglas,

I have something similar with my JR DSX-9 when I turn it on while the flight mode switch is not in position 0 (take-off). Do you have a similar switch?

Thread: Hurricane Building Tips and Plan/Woodpack queries
20/03/2018 16:46:30

Many thanks, Phil. That clarifies my queries, especially the 2.5inch bit.

Thanks, also, for the useful fuselage build notes posted on the other thread.

20/03/2018 13:43:26

I haven't started my build yet, but reading the plan I have a couple of queries about the wing.

1) I was unsure about the indicated scarf joint on the wing LE between the inner and outer panels. Is the intention to build the inner panel and leave the LE overhanging the outer rib, so as to add to the bracing when the outer panels are joined on?

2) The plan indicates a change of direction of the grain on the wing skins, but it's not clear which '2.5' inches are being referred to - is it the first 2.5 inches of the outer panel? It refers to the grain direction changing from being parallel to the LE or the spar, but these are almost parallel so does it really make much difference. (I guess it must, as the model was developed by an expert PSS builder!).

Any clariifcations greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thread: PSSA visit to the Avro Heritage Museum
09/03/2018 12:31:05

Phil/Bob,

I shall be coming to the museum with the family - 2 adults, 2 children, but we shan't be eating at the pub as we need to get back early.

Thanks for your efforts on our behalf.

Steve

Thread: An Introduction to the PSSA 2018 Mass Build Project
28/02/2018 23:06:56

Thanks for the update on build notes, Phil.

Count me in for the build .

Has anyone seen the 'Plane Resurrection' series on Netflix? It features the restoration of 6 old planes, including a Hurricane from the Battle of Britain. I'm new to Netflix, so everyone may have seen this series already!

One of these features a scratch built Fokker DR-1 covered in ....OraTex. Again, news to me but others may be aware of its use for full-size models!

Edited By Steve Houghton on 28/02/2018 23:10:03

Edited By Steve Houghton on 28/02/2018 23:16:43

27/02/2018 18:50:30

Phil,

I presume there won't be a magazine article, but did Matt draft any build notes before Traplet went under, in anticipation of publication?

Thread: Please help newbie
05/02/2018 14:08:19

Hi Tom,

I live in Sandbach and fly with the Mid Cheshire club. All the information you need about us is here:

**LINK**

Drop the secretary an email at the contact address on the website, and you'll be sure of a warm welcome and lots of advice.

Thread: Christmas Caption Competition!
23/12/2017 09:24:25

Don't laugh, kids, we really did use these before the mind control system was invented!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us