By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Braddock, VC

Here is a list of all the postings Braddock, VC has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What are your three favourite war movies?
21/10/2019 10:12:31

Kelly's Heroes, Das Boot and a toss up between the original All Quiet on the Western Front and Mary Ure in Where Eagles Dare....

Thread: Seagull I-Sport 60
11/10/2019 19:56:58

The next time out wasn't so successful, came down in the long grass and swiped the u/c off, replaced the alloy plate one with a pair of torsion bar 6SWG bent wire ones, long grass broke the wheel this time so I did an on field repair, there was a nose leg in the club shed so I fettled the wheel off that to fit, looked a bit odd, a 2.5" wheel one side with a 3.75" wheel on tother, didn't fly it again though wind was up to gale force but I taxi-ed it and did a spruce goose hop, didn't really mean to it's just the wind was that strong it just took off embarrassed, pulled the throttle back and she sank down onto the turf.

I've got to mention the os 61 fx, what an engine it's so reliable, prime it and one back flip and it's running. I can't believe I've let it languish for the best part of 10 years whilst I fiddled with Irvines and petrol engines.

Thread: Guess the fault
04/10/2019 12:47:29

With the duest of respect I think the problem is/was you're stuck in the last century; change over to 2 cell LiFe batteries and a balance charger all faults will show when you charge.

I think I dumped all my nimh and nicads over 10 years ago and never looked back.

Rx and ignition batteries are all LiFe 2 cells direct into the rx, never any problems with them except with old JR servos which let the smoke out immediately when over 5 volts is applied.

All bar 1 of my Tx have LiFe also. The odd one, a futaba 6 ex 2.4, has a 3 cell lipo in it as it's built to handle 8 dry cells.

I've never had any battery problems since my change over, SHMG.

Good LiFe batteries are both lighter and cheaper than the best of canned cells (like for like), which,for a 5 cell Ni** battery, have 4 welded terminals and two soldered ones that may fail plus they can leak and that causes all sorts of problems.

You don't use castor as well do you?disgust

Thread: Ruhig Tigre Build Blog
26/09/2019 16:06:48

img_0067.jpgimg_0066.jpgCF tubes arrived today, so out into the fresh air and cut out the old stubs of balsa from the front half of the wreck and cut the tailplane/rudder lump off the remains of the back.

Fortunately the front end has plenty of support for the longerons as you will be able to see from the attached pix.

Finish for today, will glue the cf longerons in tomorrow after cutting them to length.

img_0065 (1).jpg

25/09/2019 11:16:27

img_0064 (1).jpgimg_0063 (1).jpgDue, in part, to a deadstick from the hitherto trusty ngh 25 plane landed out in the very rough grass and thistles that border our strip.

During the landing the u/c dug in and was torn out but this sudden stop caused the model to cartwheel and the resultant whiplash caused all the longerons to fracture.

I've agonised for ages on the best form of repair and have bought 5 x 1 metre lengths of carbon fibre 6mm square tube to replace the broken longerons, I'm also going to fit torsion bar wire u/c in the wing centre section, but lack the facilities to bend the wire needed so I've drawn up a pattern and am taking it to a local engineering company to do the bizzo.

The pix around here show the fuse end of the damage, I'll completely replace the wooden structure aka oil rig with a carbon fibre one, cutting out the stubs from the front end to bond the carbon tubes in.

img_0062.jpg

Thread: Security of Information
23/09/2019 20:21:45
Posted by Steve J on 23/09/2019 18:04:33:
Posted by Braddock, VC on 23/09/2019 17:54:58:

In the event of the current CAA proposals becoming adopted as a Statute

Registration and testing is law. The ANO was changed last summer. See CAP 1763.

What is the system that the CAA have devised? The latest from the bmfa (in this month's smae news) is do not "rush into registering or taking the the test etc etc"

I have my own views on what I intend to do or not do and just don't want to be dropped into the smelly brown stuff by the bmfa.

Incidentally I'm amazed at how easily contributors can manage to turn a fairly straightforward topic into bovine exhaust.

I suppose I'll have to find out from the horses mouth how easy it is to redact one's details.

23/09/2019 17:54:58

In the event of the current CAA proposals becoming adopted as a Statute, how secure is our personal information with the bmfa?

I mean if the police ask for a list of bmfa members in an area what is the likelihood of the bmfa rolling over and giving them the info?

Thread: OS 40 four stroke, inverted?...
06/09/2019 17:48:02

I've had two of the original 40 fs and one 40 surpass and they ran and idled great when inverted. In fact the former two ran like that without exhaust pressurisation

Edited By Braddock, VC on 06/09/2019 17:48:25

Thread: OS 40 FP Mixture problem
30/08/2019 09:33:03

Cut a piece of silicon fuel tube to fit over the spray bar thread, with the main needle out of course. It should be long enough that the needle valve compresses it from about 2 turns in, iirc OS used to put a piece of fuel tube in the box for new engines just for this purpose.

Also check that the main jet is clean and that the idle mixture hole goes right through into the carb air inlet.

Thread: Seagull I-Sport 60
27/08/2019 16:50:21

Took 35 gms off the front, wound the tickover back 4 clicks and it's a bobbies job, lovely slow landings, best afternoon's flying in a long time, the weather helped as well.

26/08/2019 14:31:10

I'm into my second one of these, first one bit the dust because I had a Frisky faast compatible Rx installed, worked fine with a futaba cg 10 tx but first flight with the new 14 sg disaster. Like many artfs it simply became desiccated upon impact.

I had to drive a long way to pick this one up, but it was worth it.

My first one had a laser 80 up front and required about 20 gms of weight at the tail to make it manageable, this one has an OS 61 Fx that I've had for years and has been barely run.

I fitted it with a 14x6 apc lookalike and it flew really well, today I tried a Graupner grey 12x7 and couldn't believe that it didn't pull as well so I landed and replaced it with the 14x6, the engine is soooo quiet even at full throttle and is so reliable I really enjoy flying it. i've done in excess of 10 flights to date and as soon as I've bought some more 15% I'll get some more stick time in.

It turns out that rolls are a bit sluggish so I'll start moving some weight off the front and the rudder feels inadequate, it doesn't spin easily and neither does it do a stall turn really well. I hope the C of G adjustment rearwards will improve this.

My view a great model, if you can get one it's really good if a little flimsy round the edges.

Thread: ASP 21 vs OS Max 25FP
22/08/2019 13:05:40

25FP were schneurle ported but no great shakes, even on 15 or 20 % nitro, best easily obtainable 21 by a country mile is/was the irvine 20. There are more powerful ones but asp isn't one of them and cost could become an issue. The silencers of most 21s leave a lot to be desired.

Back to the OP the asp is a better bet than the 25 FP unless you already have an FP as they are good reliable engines with an OS no 8 plug and probably suited to your model if the design recommends it.

FWIW OS claimed a much higher output than was good for them for the FP series, in real terms the asp is about 15% more powerful and 15% more noisy, especially if the the os was fitted with the super silencer.

I have the 25FP, the OS 25 FSR and the Irvine 20, the fsr leaves them all for dead but they are a bit like rocking horse poo at present.

Thread: Buzzard Bombshell
19/08/2019 01:00:15

Yes, I noticed the variations with the CG, also the plane is built from a laser cut kit. the really annoying part has been the wood selection eg the top cabin rails are made from 3/8 triangle section that is soft as butter, some of the formers are soft 1/8 sheet and the beech engine bearers, which tend to stiffen up the structure, have been omitted.

It'll probably fly fine when I get it sorted but today I took off in flat calm and two mins into the flight half a gale blew through, high pucker factor.

Grandkids are a law unto themselves, mine is 7 going on 45 he's very technology biased and gets quite cross when I drag him outdoors, but he loves playing poosticks on the bridges over the streams in our village, as do I; it's all I have the energy for !

18/08/2019 21:23:43

Good point, Pat. I think I'll try some more lead in the nose as that's the easiest option even though my head tells me the c of g isn't miles out as it has a lifting tail section and my other oldies with similar arrangements fly with a c of g in excess of 50% chord from the leading edge.

I'll let you know how I get on, but it won't be for a while as the grandson is coming down for the week and all the old men up the flying site give him the heebie-jeebies.......disgust

18/08/2019 11:42:00

Well it flew, still seems either over elevated or the c of g is too far bck. I'll try 3mm of light ply under the wing trailing edge at first to see if that sorts it.

Thread: Seagull Super Chipmunk ARTF
16/08/2019 11:32:43

Thanks for that, I have a scratch built model that needs torsion wires like that, regrettably it needs 5mm otherwise I would have ordered up spares from seagull, just my luck, eh?

16/08/2019 11:30:23

img_0029 (1).jpgPics of the lead gorilla glued in place, tried shifting it, it's well and truly fixed.

Also access hatch for the servos, 1/8" bass gussets and held on with servo screws.

Just have to iron down the film and make the windscreen now , also some form of battery retention, stick on velcro hasn't taken to the battery.

img_0028 (1).jpg

Thread: Seagull Super Chipmunk ARTF
16/08/2019 10:11:52

I wonder if one of you kind gents could advise the diameter of the torsion wire for the undercarriage please.

15/08/2019 18:06:35

Here's the glue setting, everything is wrapped in polythene sheet and the bands are holding the battery hatch on.

I'll have to make a pattern for the windscreen which was made out of thin mylar and disappeared on the first flight I had with it.img_0027 (1).jpg

15/08/2019 17:52:19

To continue, I fitted the wing and with the balance point set at 42% needed just 330 gms (the new servos are mounted at the C of G site)

Because of the flimsy front end I encapsulated the lead in gorilla glue as ther's nothing really strong enough to bolt the stuff to.

That's where I'm at at the moment waiting for the GG to set.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us