By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Braddock, VC

Here is a list of all the postings Braddock, VC has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Repairs to a Black Horse Blade.
27/01/2019 00:22:38

Yes I am looking forward to flying it.

As I mentioned above, I have a 3 axis receiver installed and, hopefully, I'm going to make use of it to ascertain if this model will take on cross winds etc.

Graham, you'll love the D7, I have one with damaged interplane struts that I've been promising myself I'll repair since about 2009, I have 3 more planes to fettle, my Junior 60 which is destined for SAM35 pylon racing and now just needs recovering, a sig 1/5 scale clipped wing cub that needs the cabin beefing up and a 1/4 scale cw cub that needs recovering and some new wood then it'll be the D7.

I fitted a laser 80 in my d7, it'll actually knife edge and doesn't seem too bothered by the wind if my memory serves me well.

26/01/2019 17:09:04

Did a bit of chicken counting before they got hatched there, not only was the wire at fault but the in socket to the switch had seen better days, old switch dumped and new one fitted. Ho Hum.

Weather looks horrid tomorrow, so it won't be flying for some time now.

All in all I'm pleased I actually got the plane down in a repairable state, normally I give up the ghost with second hand artfs but I like this one.

Edited By Braddock, VC on 26/01/2019 17:12:27

26/01/2019 16:43:54

Ten minutes later, all soldered up and three layers of shrink tube applied.

img_0011.jpg

Just a pic to show my method of twisting the wire then soldering it.

img_0008.jpg

26/01/2019 16:41:19

Sorry to bore all you out there in webland, finishing off the blade today and checking the throttle throws when the servos went haywire.

Had to cut a bit of a former out to get the switch out as I noticed some insulation tape wrapped around one of the leads.

Here's what was under the tape

img_0007.jpg

Thread: PVA and Balsa sawdust.
25/01/2019 16:11:38

When it comes to filling cracks etc that can't be ironed out as I previously observed, I just use ordinary plaster or fine filler, I know it's much heavier than the Lite version it's also significantly cheaper, sands easy and really sticks well.

I don't use much of it and on my usual 4 - 5 pounds in weight models the amount is insignificant. Obviously on a small, rubber powered model it's not especially good unless needed up front as ballast.

So, no I don't clart around with sawdust and pva.

Thread: Repairs to a Black Horse Blade.
25/01/2019 14:58:58

As can be seen in the pic above I shaped a piece of 6mm marine ply and installed it into the original slots with gorilla glue pu glue, I'll let this dry for 24 hours then reinforce with some triangle section then drill the holes for the bolts.

FWIW the rx has performed faultlessly in another model since the problem so I can only assume the wing unravelled itself (for want of a better word) in flight.

IIRC this occurred shortly after an outside loop.

Caveat emptor!

25/01/2019 14:54:21

img_0005.jpg

25/01/2019 14:46:01

Bought a used airframe from a local modeller, ready to fly except for a receiver, it was said to have an eneloop battery installed but, when I looked, it was a futaba nicad,

I only use 2 cell life batteries nowadays so it wasn't a big issue.

It came with a 46 Ax so I was well pleased.

I installed my 1100mAh life battery and orange 3axis faast receiver and had 3 or 4 flights with it.

Second time I took it flying, after ensuring the gyro was switched off, took off and for a few minutes everything is good then, suddenly, the model started gyrating all over the place. At first I thought I'd switched the gyro on but I hadn't.

I managed to get it down in the long grass where the plastic bolts holding the u/c on sheared and it looked like the wing snapped right in the centre. Popped it in my storage and I've just come back to it after a month to sort the repairs.

One of the wing retaining bolts torn out and the retaining plate pulled out of the fuse.

I was amazed to find that the wings weren't securely glued together at the root, should be a pic nearby showing the level of glue, the only place where it was holding toimg_0002.jpggether was the front lug that fits into a slot in the fuse.

You can see where the glue had been touching.

The trailing edge in way of the wing retaining bolt was of the extremely soft balsa and in many pieces.

I cut around the broken bits and shaped a piece of hard trailing edge stock as a filler then glued those in. I have yet to sand these and coat with balsa loc before sticking the film back down.

img_0004.jpg

img_0003.jpg

Edited By Braddock, VC on 25/01/2019 15:02:51

Thread: Model vs Trees
24/01/2019 20:56:16

Paul, probably the engine out of balance, it's only got one prop blade...........devil

Thread: PVA and Balsa sawdust.
24/01/2019 20:49:11
Posted by FlyinBrian on 24/01/2019 18:17:50:

As an aside

small dings and dents in balsa can be filled by sanding with fine sane paper around the area then apply a drop of cyano to the ding and sand again making sure you get the sanding dust into the ding, it may need a couple of goes but the result is almost invisible.

Soak the affected area in water, use your covering iron up high or your heat gun and the dent will magically disappear, as long as the grain isn't torn.

I use this method on dents in my gun butts and thought if it'll work on walnut should work on balsa.

Thread: Xtrawot refurb
21/01/2019 11:14:52

TBH, a flat twin 120 4 stroke would be marginal in the power department, to say the least.

I had 2, one flew extremely well on an NGH 25 petrol and even better on a turnigy 26S petrol which was about 8 ounces lighter.

The other flew ok on an OS 120 surpass pumped.

Remember weight is your enemy on foss's planes.

Watching your thread with interest as I'd like to refurb one of mine.

Thread: Acrowot with laser 80
19/01/2019 13:00:53

I'd forgotten about the isport, trouble is I can't remember if I had a laser 70 or laser 80 installed in it. Lovely flier though and about the only plane in my living memory that I can say lost due to radio, fault in my futaba 10 tx, now scrapped.

I bought my isport from the now defunct ashford model supplies as a second hand airframe complete with servos, best bargain of my life, too.

18/01/2019 20:15:33

Personally I think you'd be better off with the 55 AX, the laser is much heavier and that weight is going to be even further forward than the 2 stroke (fwiw 55 ax with silencer is about 520 grammes, laser 80 with silencer 719 gm, at least mine is.), this forward weight will probably need ballast at the rear to balance.

I'm always of the opinion that lighter planes fly better and land slower, a point you need to consider given the usual fragility of the u/c mounting on artf (and on the chris foss artb kit one as well)

I have a laser 80 and the only plane it was really at home in was a flair fokker D7 where the weight precluded any additional ballast.

Just a personal opinion.

Edited By Braddock, VC on 18/01/2019 20:51:26

Thread: OS 25 FSR- Equivalent
14/01/2019 20:23:21

I have an OS 25 F which is the ABC version of the 25 fsr, I've only run it less than an hour, first with the original silencer on and then with a TT 42 GP silencer fitted which really quietened it down and also let it rev better (the manifold bolt holes have the same pcd). It flew a seagull jumper as if it were made for it but I replaced it with another engine and stored it.

I was going to fit it in a downsized wot4 but it's not going to happen. If you want to buy it, send me a pm and I'm sure we can reach an amicable arrangement.

Thread: Reserve Model engine choice for the Coupe Des Barons Competition.
02/01/2019 12:47:00

SAM 35 spec is for 35 two stroke plain bearing engines so the hot rod 35 ballraced schnuerle engines are not permitted.

There was also a spec for electrics in which I have no interest and I can't remember what it was, knowing sam 35 it'll probably be for brushed motors and nicads to level the playing field.

I've got a s/h os 35 fp coming but it's probably a waste of money as my recollection of J60s is more power = rapid height gain and no increase in forward velocity, it'll probably have to fly with full down elevator.

FWIW I built several svenson viscomptes and thought they were overpowered with an irvine 20 diesel converted to glow, christ a 52 4 stroke in same is mind boggling.

Thread: model recommendation
02/01/2019 09:42:42

Take a look at https://www.cambrianplanes.co.uk/ourshop/cat_912071-Complete-Kit-range.html

You will see they make 3 55" span war birds. The spitfire has a reputation of being easy to fly after being quick to build, it may also scratch your itch and cure the craving.

The smaller fun fighters all work well but, if you use a lot of sky whilst flying, you'll need excellent eyesight.

Thread: In your late 60s or early 70s?
02/01/2019 09:34:31

https://campaigns.ageuk.org.uk/page/34266/petition/1?ea.tracking.id=1unr39mb

Then this may interest you.

Thread: Reworking Ultimate
24/12/2018 18:31:31

I got that from my other half as well, Bobby though I'm but a slip of a lad of 74; especially after a recent episode of 24 hours in A&E.

Thread: Gatwick drone incident
21/12/2018 21:50:57

I think they should be afforded the same status as shotguns, ie need a police permit and medical clearance to operate and the punishment should mirror that meted out to perps who use imitation firearms in pursuit of their criminal activities.

There's just no place in society for someone to be able to illegally influence the legitimate activities of 100s of people in the way it's been done this week.

But first you gotta catch them haven't you.sarcastic 2

Thread: Heated Gloves
22/11/2018 19:44:20

Have you tried https://srukshop.co.uk/12-silver-gloves-for-cold-hands/

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!