By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gavin Livsey

Here is a list of all the postings Gavin Livsey has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer
08/04/2019 21:08:31

Rich,

Only just seen the most recent few posts. Looking forward to the mag coming out this week. I need something to get the juices flowing again after moving house and moving away from both of my Lincolnshire clubs and the excellent flying fields there. Struggling to find a decent club/field near me.

I bought a job lot of the HK heads a couple of years ago. Could I use one of these or would you suggest the head from Coolwind, which do actually look much smarter!

Thread: Nigel Hawes Whizzza Power Train Query
21/02/2019 19:21:15

Yup, a Gliders 3300 3S fits mine just fine.

Thread: Sport plane query Whizza / Tucano
09/09/2018 09:14:10

Posted by RC Plane Flyer on 08/09/2018 14:26:29:

The Whizza & Fizza have a flat wing profile and need a fair bit of speed to fly safely

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I have a Whizza that has done hundreds of flights. I never go flying without it. It's the most versatile model you could wish for. It will fly fast but can be slowed up should you fancy some gentle flying. My favourite trick is to fly up high, chop the power and then glide. Full back stick sees it mushing along at walking pace without any hint of a stall. All that have seen it have commented on how amazing this is for a "plank"

Build one. It's easy. You won't regret it.

Thread: RX choice for DX6i
27/08/2018 19:16:55

Paul/Colin,

Thanks.

Box says that it's DSM2/DSMX. I'd already looked at the Rapid website and they seem to be sold out of most of the popular ones. I'd also looked at HobbyKing but the website is so hopelessly slow these days, and keeps changing warehouse that I've just about given up with them for good.

I'll take a look at Lemon.

27/08/2018 18:50:41

Guys,

Looking for your views please. I'm a dyed in the wool Futaba man but find myself with a TX with a full memory. A few years ago I bought a DX6i so that I could buddy a pupil who had bought one of the RTF Cub trainers. The cheapest way of getting more models in the air is to buy some receivers to suit this but the choice from Spektrum seems very limited. Orange seems to be the way to go but the choice of receivers seems a little baffling. All I need are some full range RX's up to 6 ch and maybe some for park flyer type models. I've read that some Orange RX's won't work with the DX6i.

What would you suggest, preferably from first hand experience?

MTIA

07/08/2018 20:23:36

Well, my Ajay has just bit the dust so keen to move on to a pusher. Any sign of this ever appearing in the mag?

Thread: What's flying over your house
21/07/2016 16:03:50
Posted by Peter Miller on 21/07/2016 13:42:56:

Just had a formation of 10 turboprop trainers fly past. Tucanos? They were flying roughly North towards MIldenhall.

Peter, it was the Swiss PC-9 team. They fuel stopped at Cambridge, then heading north.

04/06/2016 16:14:02

Coming along nicely, Rich.

10/05/2016 19:07:10

Watching with interest. Now if it's going to be a little smaller what size blades are anticipated? I bought two pairs of spare blades for the Ajay before AJ Blades stopped production. Would be nice to be able to use them for something else. Isn't it always the way that you buy spares and never need them, yet if you don't you do!

Thread: Save UK Air Cadet Gliding Petition
17/03/2016 18:49:11

I too would have loved the opportunity as a teenager but this isn't simply a cost cutting exercise. As stated in tha Parliamentary announcement pretty much all VGS flying ceased in 2014 due to airworthiness issues. It seems that a number of factors meant that the gliders were not deemed to be operating safely. There has been a long exercise undertaken to resolve the issues but in the end the cost of getting the fleet up to scratch makes it poor value for money. Whilst the Vigilant fleet is relatively young the Vikings have been around for a fair old while and would probably have needed replacing in the relative short term. I'm surprised that the VGS's have been pretty much unscathed from budget cuts over the years, although I suppose the cost of keeping a Typhoon in the air for several hours would use the budget that would keep gliders aloft for weeks.

A junior member of my club was part way through his training when the gliders were grounded and has been successful in getting some sort of grant to allow him to progress through the RAFGSA. Maybe there might be other opportunities out there?

Edited By Gavin Livsey on 17/03/2016 18:50:46

Thread: Hobby King 30cc models
14/09/2015 18:37:12

Rich,

I picked up the Slick 540 in the May sale for under £150. It's very good. Only difference to some of the premium brands is a lack of carbon wing tube and undercarriage.

Edited By Gavin Livsey on 14/09/2015 18:38:48

Thread: First ever flight
08/09/2015 20:47:15

Hmm. Why join a club if you're going to insist on going alone?

Care to say what club you belong to in Lincolnshire? Not mine, I hope. Like most, I should imagine, you can't fly solo until you have either done your "A" or been signed off by an instructor.

Edited By Gavin Livsey on 08/09/2015 20:50:07

01/09/2015 21:24:04

Nice one. Any more info on when/if this will be in the Mag?

Thread: Full Size accident at Blackbushe
01/08/2015 09:38:58

I'm not sure that the Bin Laden family will thank you for reminding them of their wayward relative. They are not all terrorists. The Phenom, and it's predecessor a CitationJet 525, was a regular visitor to these shores.

Edited By Gavin Livsey on 01/08/2015 09:39:39

Edited By Gavin Livsey on 01/08/2015 09:49:28

28/06/2015 15:11:31

Six months on and all quiet. Any progress?

Thread: 30cc equivalent electric set up
10/05/2015 10:44:36

Thanks chaps.

09/05/2015 19:57:53

Replacing my written off Global Sbach with a Hobbyking Edge which was in the recent sale at a price too good to miss. I could use my DLE 30 but would like to try an electric set up. I've trawled through the various forums but most suggest motors and esc's not available this side of the pond. Anyone done a conversion using reasonably sensible priced parts? I' d like to limit the lipos to 8S (2x4S) but haven't ruled out 10S. Estimated weight is about 12lbs.

Thread: Auto G2
17/02/2015 22:49:13

Posted by Delta Whiskey on 17/02/2015 20:34:51:

So get the G1 then !

Are you referring to the conversion plate only for the G1 on the cool wind web site?

Absolutely! I started with a G2 and totalled it on the first flight. G1 flew so much better. A mate also bought a G2 and quickly removed the auto start bits. Flies so much better without. Yes, the Coolwind plate coupled with blades from AJ makes it a much more flyable beast.

Now graduated to an Ajay which is even better, Why discontinued?

17/02/2015 19:45:23

Ditch the auto start, saves weight and drag on the blades. Mine hand launches in the slightest breeze without a problem. Just tilt it back against the breeze, let the speed build and away she goes.

Lack of power has never been an issue, and yes the nature of the beast means down elevator on occasions.

Been through no end of blades, usually down to tipping over on landing so have just upgraded to the Coolwind flex plate and AJ blades. Flies like a dream now.

Thread: New Tony Nijhuis BAe Hawk EDF
17/02/2015 19:40:13

I'm in and watching.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Gliders Distribution
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us