By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Nijhuis

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Nijhuis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Harrier Jump Jet- The aeromodelling Holy Grail !!!!
20/07/2018 21:23:31

Each fan will happily draw 30amps on their own but if you connect 4 to one battery, the battery itself is the restriction so each fan motor can only draw what the battery allows...I used a 30c 3200mah so 48amps is just comfortable and its just sufficient to achieve hover...to climb in the hover that takes more power of course

12/07/2018 22:18:13

48amps in total so 12amps per EDF,,,,can just squeeze 3.5mins of hover from a 3200mah lipo

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special
10/07/2018 22:04:07

Tim, the 50mm Edf is shoehorned so no chance of getting a 64mm or a 55mm....the 50mm is cheap and works well.....or of course be my guest to enlarge the plan at the printers by 128% and the 64mm will fit.......the plan is a blank canvas so play around and have fun....that what the hobby is all about

Thread: New- 2018 CONCORDE for 4x50mm EDF
04/07/2018 13:12:57

A few more pictures from the first test flight

img_9693.jpg

img_9704.jpg

img_9721.jpg

04/07/2018 13:05:47

Covering is chrome profilm and photos really well.....

They are very strong little models...during early testing I cart wheeled both model without a scratch! the only significant damage was to the sabre nose when i dropped it nose first on to the workshop floor and put a nasty dent in the nose...top tip here for balsa models....if you soak the nose in a bucket of water for a hour or so and leave it to dry overnight, the wood swells and dent will disappear....then just get the hot iron on to the covering to smooth any creases.

The fan is an AEO unit ADH300... packs around 13oz of thrust and is a very light at around 55g. The blade balance is not great and they resonate badly at low to mid speeds, but hey at mid to high speed which is where they are operating at for this model, they are ok....

03/07/2018 11:14:11

Yes they are cheat holes and are really necessary..Thinking about it you could put cheat holes in the top bottom of the fus to avoid ruining the side outline....

Hope these will be popular....really cheap install, simple to make and suppressing strong..

03/07/2018 11:01:21

Thank guys for your kind comments....AUW is 4lbs 5oz at the moment but will end up at around 5lb with detail and covering...I have no doubt I will build a bigger version as the model is very scalable

02/07/2018 20:20:02

All done a tested ready for the Autumn Special...these little jets are so much fun....AUW is 15oz.....

394a5593.jpg

394a5716.jpg

02/07/2018 20:07:53

Well been a bit quite on this one as i was waiting for flying strip the dry out and grass to be cut....and then forgot all about the model!!!

So had a couple of attempts but suffer grass cutting inhalation which stalled the fans and the undercarriage being too short, she couldn't rotate enough. Made a few other mods and a week later.....success!!!!

She needed a good head wind and full up elevator to rotate but once she was sitting on the back wheel she took off beautifully....a little dutch roll as you might expect but apart from that, an absolute diamond to fly......this was one model i really didn't think was going to work but yet again I was wrong.....

I ended up using the 4S Hobbyking 50mm 12 bladed ali unit all connected to a 4S 4500mah single pack. It needed all the power to take off mainly because the small 1-3/4" wheel and the long grass (yes grass had not been cut at the flying field) really caused quite a resistance....it needed almost full throttle to move her, but once away i was really surprised at how she tore down the runway even though i could hardly push the model along the ground!!!..... once away she would cruise around on 1/2 throttle. got around 3.5min fly time but had 30% in the pack so a little more testing i think.

Now working on the articulating nose and added a double boggy main U/C......definitely a plan in the offering soon.

pic.8.jpg

pic.9.jpg

Thread: RCM&E The Inside Story
06/06/2018 20:25:01

so have you finished building that other double winger then Graham??cheeky

05/06/2018 21:00:48

Hi Aaron,

No up-dates as yet as I have taken some time out of aeromodelling...burning the midnight oil over all these years has taken it toll on the health over the past few months....close to burn out!....however, getting back in the swing of it with renewed vigour so expect to see some up-dates over the next few months....

The FC i have are a clone of the NanoWii board bought from the US.....

A slight set back was I crashed prototype No.11 below....on a positive note it was pilot error and i did learn that the CofG is absolutely critical to achieve a smooth transition....If the CofG is forward by 1/2" or so, the model rears up in transition. if the CofG is rear by 1/2" the model pitches down on transition....

394a9163.jpg

14/03/2018 22:50:58

Just a quick update on the Harrier....two more prototypes being built in depron, this time all laser cut .... managed to save yet more weight which is good news....not ruling out a very limited run of kits as I have secured a batch of control boards, programmable servos and new 64mm fans...

img_5659.jpg

Also been experimenting with some new 64mm fans with larger motors that AEO over in China have sent me....these can comfortably operate on 4S so reliability and additional power should be very welcome and hopefully more duration

img_5662.jpg

Still no progress on the ARTF version unfortunately...a number of manufactures/supplies I spoke with i think got there fingers burnt with the latest VTOL Transition and the Horizon Convergence so the appetite has been lost for now...

14/03/2018 22:10:16

Thanks Ray, one more for the Loft hey!.....you'll be please Red October is done for the Model Boat Special.cheeky

Yes Trevor....anything would be easier than the Harrier but the Concorde will need a little help from some gyros I think

06/03/2018 22:34:54

Thats the great thing about Depron...you really can save significant weight. I dare say if I can make it work in Balsa and satisfy the balas bashers, the 'Depron Boys' will have a field day...

06/03/2018 19:46:49

Yes you are right about liberties Simon.....I would have loved to make them scale but it would have meant 30mm fans and that simply wasn't going to work....I'm planning on using 4x 10-bladed Dr Mad 50mm edf units....should give loads of power.....

Your note about the wing sheeting Jacob is correct....the tapering leading edge suited the sheeting running in that direction....underneath, it run cross way as you would expect so the wings are strong in +G....

06/03/2018 19:30:30

yes around the October time....unlike me to start the Special design this early....more time to enjoy I guess

05/03/2018 23:18:36

So this one self indulgent and something i have always wanted to design and build.....help along by the recent telly programmes..

Almost ready to test fly. 30" wing span, 72" Long, AUW 4.5lbs (I hope) 4x50mm EDF units, 2x3200mah 4S lipo, retracts and articulating nose (well it has to)

More info to follow.....if successful a plan will be avaialble

capture.jpg

img_5485.jpg

05/03/2018 23:04:09

Well the recent cold weather has had it advantages and three snow day confined to the workshop has meant a couple of new designs have materialised.

I had a discussion with David Ashby just before Christmas on the subject of free plans for the 2018 RCM&E special. So rather than the usual mid-size scale model you have all come to expect, David suggested why not a couple of simple jets, design to be small and cheap but more importantly FUN......

Now 10 years ago I did do a couple of jet Dog Fight Doubles in the form of a EE Lightning & MiG 25. Both were pusher prop powered and were well received....however, I did get a lot of requests at the time asking if these could be converted to EDF.....the answer was...not really because EDF had not really developed to a stage where a cheap workable installation could be found......roll on 10 years and the answer is definitely yes.

Comparing an EDF scale design against a prop driven version of the same design, i would lay money the EDF version would be 10 time more popular to the modelling public, simply because its closer and reflects the real full-size aircraft so I reckon these are going to be pretty popular, plus its getting back to grass roots aeromodelling....

So back to mini jets....both are simple all balsa construction with 6mm balsa sheet. 24" Span, AUW 15oz, 3-function radio.....

Test flew them Sunday in poor weather and what a blast!!!! being EDF and lightweight, really easy to self hand launch even with frozen hands....no nasty torque steer..

img_5636.jpg

The fan set-up- AEO 50mm 3S unit, 30amp ESC, 1500mah 3S Lipo....all this from HK for around the £40 mark....

img_5635.jpg

29/11/2017 22:37:43

3.5mins hover or 5min combind

24/11/2017 22:14:12

only needs 48amp to hover on a 3S 3200

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!