By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Nijhuis

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Nijhuis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Scrap Box Wellington Bomber
03/09/2016 23:22:19

Good lord.....this is a trip down memory lane

Some 26 years ago and all we had at the time were some 1200mah Sanyo SCE's I remember being amazed it flew as any sort of electric flight success was far and few between.

Nice to see its still being built

Thread: Harrier Jump Jet- The aeromodelling Holy Grail !!!!
02/09/2016 22:25:50

Mk3 airframe as it is now...span is 1300mm (52" and length is 1500mm (60" and weighing in 520g (1lb 2oz) so on target to get the model under 3.5kg (7lbs 12oz)...Just ashame we have to carry 3lbs worth of fans and 3lbs worth of batteries..

img_4231.jpg

img_4232.jpg

02/09/2016 17:58:36

Thanks Ian,

I have been using nanotech 4500mah 45C......but have just ordered a pair of the Graphene 4000mah 65C...hopefully the power delivery and the weight saving (30g per pack) should give the edge.

The new Mk3 airframe is 200g lighter so all in Im hoping this weight saving will give additional hovering duration

01/09/2016 11:49:10

The lighter Mk3 version is almost complete and I'm hoping to have the target finished weight the same as the uncovered Mk1 (shown hovering).

The next stage once finished, is to fly the Harrier in conventional form ...i.e. lock the fans i horizontal mode, disconnect the quad board and fly the model off a dolly. This way I can trim the model out for normal flight, noting the trims and throws positions. As the hover trims and forward flight trims will be different, i will have to go back to the old fashioned way of adjusting clevis links to achieve matching trim settings. Once this is done the next big step is transition.....

exciting timessmiley

31/08/2016 21:59:01

Thanks Jo....and yes Tim, will keep you all up-dated

img_4460.jpg

31/08/2016 18:11:19

Absolutely correct Allan, the esc on the 70mm fan units have been programmed to high freq but the outcome is still not as effective as a propellor. The loop tuning on the Kk2 quad board has taken a long time to get right but it's not as stable as a quad copter but I don't think it ever will be... The fans are just not as accurate as props would be and the gyros are struggling

31/08/2016 15:37:37

Thanks for your kind comments guys.....

The holes in the wing are there to provide a direct air path down through the fan during hover I did try the model without these holes and the thing wouldn't even lift off...... When the fans rotate to horizontal mode, the air is drawn through the main Harrier intakes at the front. The fan pivot rotation is timed for three seconds to avoid over torquing the pivot servo and to make a slow transition.

Once in forward flight the fans on each side will act in 'series' which means the pressure differential will be double but the thrust is likely to be equivalent of only one fan. The power draw from each fan ( as one is assisting the other) should dramatically reduce....therefore for forward flight loss of overall thrust will suit the lower power requirements of 'forward flight'

The biggest hurdle so far is the power to weight for hovering. Fans are at there most inefficient when in static operation and so hovering is absolutely kills the cells....this project could not happen if it wasn't for the high C batteries now available.

30/08/2016 23:03:51

David,

My son has already suggested it but I love balsa wood smiley

If all else fails then yes I will. The new fuselage is currently 250g so quite pleased so far

Thread: New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF
30/08/2016 22:50:59

Keith,

I looking at the three view wing section drawings I have of what I think is the full-size, the undercamber is just at the leading edge and is quite pronounced at mid cored and then as you say it tapers to almost flat bottomed at the tip.

My wing is different and starts semi-symmetrical at the root and changes to flat bottomed at the tips to make the build easier......  having built and flown quite a few deltas now, I thought i would stick with what I thought would work best...i hope.

Edited By Tony Nijhuis on 30/08/2016 22:54:42

Thread: Harrier Jump Jet- The aeromodelling Holy Grail !!!!
30/08/2016 22:28:17

In amongst the day to day churn of the conventional model designing, I have always wanted to design a VTOL Harrier as a personal project as this has to be aeromodelling Holy Grail......so for the last 6-months or so I have been chasing down youtube clips, forums and anywhere else where i can find what the latest ideas are on VTOL.......

So having seen countless efforts of single fan versions or quadcopter versions, I really wanted a harrier that would Take off into the hover and then fully transition to normal forward flight, before returning to earth either conventionally of via the hover. Well that all sound quite feasible in my head but as normal, it wasn't going to be as simple as that.

So dabbling with quad cop boards, fan units and a mountain of batteries some progress has been madethumbs up

Therefore I thought it was time to share a few photos with you guys.

There will be couple of article on this in the RCM&E so more will be revealed in due course

img_4426.jpg

General layout...fans are paired in X form quad with two counter rotating. All four fans rotate to provide forward flight. 4x70mm 6S fan units, 4x100amp esc, 2x4500mah 6S 60c cells

img_4461.jpg

picture today of Mk1 prototype hovering with final P+I loop tuning done we now have a stable machine. Moving to forward flight shouldn't present to much of a change but power to weight has been the biggest challenge

img_4463.jpg

Can gimble the fans to change hovering angle of attack.

img_4468.jpg The Mk3 under way and trying to shave some weight off....If you were wondering about Mk2.....see below

img_4469.jpg

Mk2- 70" version AUW 8kg with retracts and using 4x90mm 8S fans.....still have stability problems with this one

Thread: New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF
30/08/2016 11:35:11

Thanks Alan.....so I didn't dream it thenyes

29/08/2016 19:28:06

UPDATE

Well its almost 11 months to the day I repackaged the Mk1 prototype, its taken a good six months to redesign the model then rebuild to this standard below

img_4229.jpg

I decided to glass cloth the model and give it a light dusting of primer ready for the test flight today

This Mk2 version used all the avionics and fan units from the Mk1. The AUW was 9.14kg which is a shade over 20lbs. I was hoping to keep the model under 9kg so was a little concerned that the old 5-bladed Lander fans would struggle, even though the output thrust of each fan is 4kg.

I used a separate 3850 mah 10S NanoTec pack from Hobbyking to power each motor with two 100amp controllers. Using this setup on full power would only give about 2 1/2 mins tops so another worry was duration on this model.

To make the mixing easier, I used and igyro 3e from Powerbox

So writhing this now, i can report the model flew beautifully and the igyro made such a great difference i can thoroughly recommend this device.....

The first flight lasted 3min 20sec and scale flying was achieved at half stick position.....so much for being worried! The packs were charged a few days before this flight so when recharged I had expected the packs to be exhausted!....well on recharge, I could only get 1000ma into the cells so amazingly not even a third of the capacity had been used. The second flight was 4min 30sec and on recharging the cells amazingly I could only get 1100ma into the cells. I guess the extra min was a function of a freshly charged pack.

So based on this we are potentially looking at an 8min flight times on scale flying with a few vulcan climb outs thrown in for good luck....During the second flight i did apply full throttle, put the nose up and she climbed away at 60deg with no problem....

So yesterday I had almost convinced myself this model was going to have power and duration problem but today I couldn't have been more wrong......so still learning!!!

....I think this model may be the winner out of the three versions.yes

Thread: 67" ZERO- 2016 RCM&E Autumn Special
15/08/2016 21:41:02

9.5lbs AUW

10/08/2016 18:11:43

So finally finished and flown on Saturday....had 2x 7min flights on one 6000mah!!! and still had 38% in the battery!!!....super efficient setup from 4-MAX

zero1.jpg

zero 03.jpg

zero 02.jpg

29/07/2016 23:02:48

Great detailing...thanks for that.

Gregg, your dad did mention it had an exhaust stack missing so aware of that now.....thanks....

26/07/2016 21:38:38

Yep...she did pitch up on flaps Gregg....what sort of down trim angle did you put on your Zero???

Took some close-ups of yours at Cosford so now have a little more cowl/exhaust detail...not easy to find info on the Zero

12/07/2016 22:31:45

A 90-120 would fit nicely. If I'm doing a electric design I always design with IC in mind.... The fire wall is birch ply so suitable strong enough and placed far enough back for a 4-stroke to fit in the cowl comfortably

Here's another update with a prototype cowl and canopy test fitted....starting to take shapesmiley

img_4106.jpg

11/07/2016 21:43:05

Moved this to a new thread

Hi All.....

Well having just put a full-size replica project to bed (4-wheels this time).... it was time to bash on with the Zero....

In the last week I put some covering on and fitted the model out ready for a test flight today at Hastings....Well a beautiful summers day of low cloud, drizzle, high winds greeted me at 10am this morning. To me this is the perfect test flying weather coz if it dont work in this, it not a model for all seasons....

So with a couple of taxi runs all seeming ok, I lined her up into wind and with only 3/4 throttle she was away....ammazzzed to say i need no trim changes what so ever which has to be a first for any test flight....even in the strong wind, the model was nicely controllable and surprisingly stable....Only a small amount of nose weight was needed so hopefully, by the time the cowl and detail is added, I hope to ballast free!!!

Thanks to 4-Max for putting together a superb electric setup capable of turning a scale 3-bladed prop and giving 11lbs of thrust....so no worries if you add a couple of lbs to your build weight

Span is 67", AUW was just over 8lbs.

img_4087.jpg

img_4089.jpg

img_4091.jpg

img_4093.jpg

Thread: 2016 RCM&E Autumn Special- Free Plan Modellers Choice
10/07/2016 20:05:53

Hi All.....

Well having just put a full-size replica project to bed (4-wheels this time).... it was time to bash on with the Zero....

In the last week I put some covering on and fitted the model out ready for a test flight today at Hastings....Well a beautiful summers day of low cloud, drizzle, high winds greeted me at 10am this morning. To me this is the perfect test flying weather coz if it dont work in this, it not a model for all seasons....

So with a couple of taxi runs all seeming ok, I lined her up into wind and with only 3/4 throttle she was away....ammazzzed to say i need no trim changes what so ever which has to be a first for any test flight....even in the strong wind, the model was nicely controllable and surprisingly stable....Only a small amount of nose weight was needed so hopefully, by the time the cowl and detail is added, I hope to ballast free!!!

Thanks to 4-Max for putting together a superb electric setup capable of turning a scale 3-bladed prop!!!

Span is 67", AUW was just over 8lbs.

img_4087.jpg

img_4089.jpg

img_4091.jpg

img_4093.jpg

14/02/2016 20:33:43

Well time is pressing and if i don't make a choice now, there may be a lot of disappointed modellers by september!

Having reviewed all the suggestions, and thinking about both the commercial appeal and making it affordable in terms of hardware, I have decided to plumb for the Zero, around the 60", electric power and 4-6s lipo....

Thanks for all your suggestions, all very much appreciated.....

Oh and while you have been voting, my pet project is coming along

capture.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us